Forums > General Industry > Grateful Models

Photographer

AJL Photo

Salem, Oregon, US

I had NO idea how to title this, so I just went with my gut.

I think there is a special place in heaven for models who contact you after receiving the CD, to let you know:

1) It arrived safely- which fulfills my part of the agreement.
2) They like the shots- which fuels my ego and makes me feel good about myself.

I generally contact a model a couple of weeks after mailing the CD, to make sure the CD arrived. I've had an instance where the address was wrong, and I didn't want the model to think I was a "never supplies images" photographer

Seriously, when a model follows up, it's good. It's rare, but it's good.

Am I alone in this?

Oct 11 12 12:51 pm Link

Model

Sophia Be

Portland, Oregon, US

In a perfect world everyone would be polite and respond. It's common curtosy to tell a photographer that yes, you at least recived images. I think it's weird that so many people don't. I always do

I find most people don't respond, models or photographers

Oct 11 12 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Lee Nutter

Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

I do everything over the net, and it's very rare to not received a reply email to my download links. I find models are generally appreciative and grateful. You can usually tell well beforehand what kind of reply, if any, you're going to get smile

Oct 11 12 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Heels and Hemlines

Southern Pines, North Carolina, US

AJL Photo wrote:

It's not much to ask, is it? This is exactly the reason why I stopped giving models images from paid shoots -- I almost never got so much as a "thank you" in return.

Oct 11 12 05:26 pm Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I always contact the photographer and let me know what I think about the images for a TF shoot.
If it was paid and they send me images, I still thank them even if I don't like the images. They were nice enough to send them to me in the first place.

Oct 11 12 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Wild Honey Photo

Shoalhaven, New South Wales, Australia

GoldRoseMedia wrote:
It's not much to ask, is it? This is exactly the reason why I stopped giving models images from paid shoots -- I almost never got so much as a "thank you" in return.

That's been my experience too.  Even some have badgered me to send images but not even a thanks when I do.  And again, these were shoots where the models were paid.

I no longer supply any images for this reason too.

Oct 11 12 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Lamar

Wilton, New Hampshire, US

AJL Photo wrote:

I think there is a special place in heaven for models who contact you after receiving the CD, to let you know:

I generally contact a model a couple of weeks after mailing the CD, to make sure the CD arrived. I've had an instance where the address was wrong, and I didn't want the model to think I was a "never supplies images" photographer

Am I alone in this?

Only on one occasion have I had anyone follow up with a thank you or whatever and surprisingly it was with a very nice handwritten letter from the model and her boyfriend.  It was good.

Oct 11 12 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Heels and Hemlines

Southern Pines, North Carolina, US

Summertime Images wrote:
That's been my experience too.  Even some have badgered me to send images but not even a thanks when I do.  And again, these were shoots where the llamas were paid.

I no longer supply any images for this reason too.

It's actually worse than that, because when I did send images, and the llama never bothered to say thank you, it made me not want to hire her again. Even if the images were not to the llama's taste, you would think she'd have the business sense to say, "Thanks for the photos. They look great! I'd love to work with you again." Just to give me a little added incentive to rehire her.

Oct 11 12 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Darryl Varner

Burlington, Iowa, US

Sophia Be wrote:
In a perfect world everyone would be polite and respond. It's common curtosy to tell a photographer that yes, you at least recived images. I think it's weird that so many people don't. I always do

I find most people don't respond, models or photographers

I'm finding this to be the case more and more often. I chalk it up to a general lack of manners which isn't to say that everyone's like that, of course; but even five or six years ago it wasn't unusual for me to receive hand-written thank you notes. I moved to a different part of the state about that time so I can't really tell whether it's become common behavior or may have something to do with regional conventions.

Oct 11 12 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

studio MG photography

Santa Cruz, California, US

With only a couple of exceptions I think all of the models I've worked with since going digital have sent an e-mail to let me know they received the images.  I guess I'm lucky!

Oct 11 12 05:52 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

I send everyone I've worked with either an email and/or a tag on their MM profile to say thank you for having me immediately after the shoot, then another little thanks message when they email me images(which has the added bonus of letting them know I received them).

Oct 11 12 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

AJL Photo wrote:

Am I alone in this?

Nope. I agree it's rare and also that it's good.

The models who send an email acknowleging the receipt of the images and who compliment their quality earn major brownie points. But most of those models already earned points for being great and thoughtful communicators leading up to the shoot. Sometimes I'm wrong, but I can usually predict which models do that gracious follow-up... they're usually the most gracious during the shoot.

Oct 11 12 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

AJL Photo wrote:
Am I alone in this?

nope. smile
I'm totally with ya.

Oct 11 12 07:09 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

Los Angeles, California, US

NicoleNudes wrote:
I always contact the photographer and let me know what I think about the images for a TF shoot.
If it was paid and they send me images, I still thank them even if I don't like the images. They were nice enough to send them to me in the first place.

+1

Oct 11 12 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

You are definitely not alone in your experience.  Models who acknowledge receiving images seem to be the minority.

Oct 11 12 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

mphunt

Hudson, Florida, US

Very few.......maybe my work doesn't warrant an acknowledgement.  Who knows.

Oct 11 12 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Coyote Creations NW

Vancouver, Washington, US

From a social standpoint, a thank you is nice to do. From a business perspective, it is just common sense.  Unless you are a really bad model, photographer or MUA, the people most likely to give you more work or referrals are the people who just hired you.  I get much more response from thank yous than from any "targeted" ads. Hand written notes have pretty much disappeared for me. E mail is the norm.  Consider open thank yous in comments on posts.  They always seem to be appreciated.

Oct 12 12 05:23 am Link

Clothing Designer

Chain Reaction

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Appreciation is almost always welcome, especially when someone puts forth the extra effort. There is never a bad time to use good manners.

Oct 12 12 05:46 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I have never received a CD of images but I have received prints in the mail. I immediately let the photographer know I received them and how I pleased I was. He sent probably twice as many as I had expected so that was going above and beyond my expectations. As for electronic images, I let them know as soon as I receive those too. If you don't you are being rude. Maybe it's my age, but it makes me think it's society and the younger generation just doesn't have manners.

Oct 12 12 07:43 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

NicoleNudes wrote:

+1

Oct 12 12 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Anthony Yuen

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Treasure the ones that reply, even if simply to acknowledge a receipt.  They are rare, but they do exist.

95% of the time, I don't hear a single thing.  Not one positive/negative feedback.

Oct 12 12 12:52 pm Link

Model

zierlich

San Antonio, Texas, US

I just think it's common courtesy, I always give my thanks, and let the photographer know they were a pleasure to work with!

I've had a few TF photographers that fell off the face of the earth after a photo shoot,
so a follow up is always nice, a simple
"Thank you for taking the time to work with me, etc,etc!"
then,we can either part ways or decide to work again someday.

Oct 12 12 01:02 pm Link

Model

Gitte

Newton, Massachusetts, US

Huh! I would've thought everyone would at least say Thanks, I received them,- just basic manners.

Oct 12 12 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

CD - why don't you email images ? less expense & you know they arrived

Oct 12 12 01:13 pm Link

Model

LizzyB

Rochester, New York, US

Gitte wrote:
Huh! I would've thought everyone would at least say Thanks, I received them,- just basic manners.

i would thought so, i think/hope i always do too

Oct 12 12 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

John Horwitz wrote:

I always email the small web-ready copy of each TF image, but I also send via snailmail a nicely labeled CD containing the small web-ready copies, their full-sized printable versions, PDFs of the signed model release and usages license, and a hardcopy of the usage license.

Less expense? Mailing the CD costs me less than a buck-fifty. Even I can afford that.

Oct 12 12 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

AJL Photo

Salem, Oregon, US

John Horwitz wrote:

I've thought about emailing. Mailing a CD is 44 cents, and models have told me they appreciate having a physical copy of the work.

-Andre

Oct 13 12 08:50 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i appreciate the models who leave me a tag about the shoot (and i try to do the same for them).

when i use dropbox for delivery i know when they've connected.

regarding their happiness with the images there's no guarantee, especially on a TF shoot. but if they seem genuinely happy and use some of the images in their portfolio then i feel like it's mission accomplished. if they ask to shoot again then i figure i did well.

Oct 13 12 09:20 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

we had a bunch of CDs get lost in the mail that way. now when we send a CD it's in a box (like priority mail) but that costs more.

but we're using dropbox more these days.

AJL Photo wrote:
I've thought about emailing. Mailing a CD is 44 cents, and models have told me they appreciate having a physical copy of the work.

Oct 13 12 09:21 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

What is this mythological creature you speak of !!  wink

Recently, when mailing CD's, I mark the outside with big, BOLD lettering that says:

NUDE PHOTOS ENCLOSED!! 

and since then, my "I received your CD rate has shot upwards significantly."

Coincidentally, my postal carrier has expressed an increased interest in my photography.

Seriously, common courtesy is not nearly so common any more.

Oct 13 12 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Dark Shadows

Miami, Florida, US

Generally speaking, in terms of politeness, I've noted that MUAs tend to be a very polite group. Models often times are a bit aloof, although there are exceptions to every rule.

Oct 13 12 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

I'm more and more disheartened, by never hearing back from sending images. 

And this is especially true of paid shoots - where the extra effort on my part is pretty much universally ignored - and the images never used.

I guess my images are not worth looking at. sad

Oct 13 12 09:27 am Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

I can't believe that someone wouldn't acknowledge receiving pictures, whether from a paid or TF shoot.  Wow...

Sometimes emails with large attachments don't reach the recipient, because some emails limit the size of the attachments, and sometimes they get routed to spam folders.  It's a good idea to send an MM message with a note "I sent pictures to your email address today" so the model can look for them.

My boyfriend sent me a bunch of pictures the other day from a recent shoot, and they didn't show up in my email.  His email didn't bounce back or anything...so he re-sent to my gmail address and they arrived instantly.  Email is still an imperfect science.

All my work is paid, so when I receive pictures, I consider it to be a great gift.  I always acknowledge receipt.

Oct 13 12 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Eridu

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Great shoot this morning with a professional and talented male model: communication spot-on, good attitude, great look...who could ask for anything more?

Oct 13 12 09:43 am Link

Photographer

J E W E T T

al-Marsā, Tunis, Tunisia

Paige Morgan wrote:
I send everyone I've worked with either an email and/or a tag on their MM profile to say thank you for having me immediately after the shoot, then another little thanks message when they email me images(which has the added bonus of letting them know I received them).

I can vouch for this.  I can also say that you are super professional in all aspects, so I would think this just comes with the territory.

Oct 13 12 11:24 am Link

Photographer

LightWriting

Long Beach, California, US

"Thank You" was taken out of the schools english curriculum in 1987. Wasn't considered necessary for the new "entitled" society mentality.

Oct 13 12 12:17 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

J E W E T T wrote:

I can vouch for this.  I can also say that you are super professional in all aspects, so I would think this just comes with the territory.

You know I think you're awesome, so let's just call it a mutual admiration society. smile

I'm glad you guys seem to be doing super well in your new locale smile

Oct 13 12 04:02 pm Link

Model

Venessa Baez

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

I always follow up. It's just common sense.

Oct 13 12 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Yes, that's always nice and it doesn't always happen. Maybe there will be an app for manners one day, lol.

Oct 13 12 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

East West

Los Angeles, California, US

AJL Photo wrote:

Am I alone in this?

My beef has nothing to do with receiving photos but I have a whole laundry list of other reasons why I DO NOT go out of my way to help models. Two words "Thank you" is all it takes.

Oct 13 12 08:48 pm Link