Forums > Photography Talk > Snapshot Vs. Photograph

Photographer

Robert Lynch

Bowie, Maryland, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
Are you saying, then, that if there is no story to tell, it's a snapshot and not a photograph?  It is often said that a picture tells 1,000 words.  If it doesn't tell a thousand words, it's a snapshot?

If I set my camera to full manual (I have, and it has been set that way since about a month after I got it almost 3 years ago), it means I have to think about the shutter speed, aperture and ISO (among other things).  Sometimes I take a shot and the shutter speed is WAY too slow (resulting in an overexposed and blurred picture).  This is sometimes due to inexperience.  It's sometimes due to something happening fast that I want to capture.  In either case, it's a "snapshot" and not a good one.  On the other hand, if I'm shooting a model, there is time to get things right. 

Every shot isn't going to be a winner ... so some will be overexposed.  Some will be far too dark.  Some are going to be blurred a bit because of whatever reason.  At the end of the shot, though, even if I have moved the model to a place where a tree isn't growing out of their head, I've shot from an angle where their underwear isn't showing anymore and I've cropped the picture so there is no more trash can in the shot, many will say it's *still* a snapshot because it's "what I saw" and not "what I thought".  What part of this forest am I missing because I see a tree?

OK, let's try moving the analogy from visual images to words.  There is a difference between reporting the facts and creating a story to tell and telling it in a compelling manner.  The basics that you describe above (i.e., tree, trash and underwear) plus things like exposure, are the visual analogues of spelling, punctuation and grammar and penmanship.  Putting thought into making sure that a weather report is spelled properly and has proper punctuation and grammar doesn't change the fact that a weather report is "what you saw".  A weather report is not a funny joke or a fascinating story, no matter how much thought and effort is put into the calligraphy.

EDIT: To bring it back to photography, most commercial catalogue images are snapshots, even when perfectly composed and lit, because they are just reporting basic facts and are not saying anything interesting that involves thought or commentary.

Oct 20 12 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

My camera taking a picture vs me making one.

Oct 20 12 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Matt Forma

Denver, Colorado, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
Snapshots are "this is what I saw" and photography should be "this is what I thought"

Brilliant!

Oct 20 12 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Sermon

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Lovely Day Media wrote:
If someone were to ask you how you define the difference between a snapshot and a photograph, what would your answer be?

But...a snapshot IS a photograph, no?

Oct 20 12 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

The term photograph is about everything to image capture.

The term snapshot is just one of the minor myriads of classifications and genres of the term photograph.

Oct 20 12 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

A snapshot or a photograph?

http://www.laurencemillergallery.com/Im … b_sbs2.jpg

(Henri Cartier-Bresson)

Oct 20 12 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Teila K Day Photography

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

David Parsons wrote:
Snapshots are photographs.  False dichotomy.

I agree with this statement. We all know that a snap shot is a photograph so lets not try to re-write the english language with the ridiculous.

A snap shot is exactly what most people think it is.

A well thought out and executed photograph is just that.

A photograph is anything your camera captured- snapshot, well thought out, and or anything in-between.

It's that simple.

Oct 20 12 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Teila K Day Photography

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

David Hirsh wrote:

Kind of like this?

https://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbcaehBz9O1rra842o1_1280.jpg

= a photograph.  What type of photograph anyone wants to call it doesn't change the obvious.

Car or coupe'?  Good grief.

Oct 20 12 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

-JAY- wrote:
My camera taking a picture vs me making one.

My camera makes lots of pictures then because I snap a lot.

Next time I'll just send the camera out and stay home in bed.

Oct 20 12 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Lynch

Bowie, Maryland, US

David Parsons wrote:

Teila K Day Photography wrote:
I agree with this statement. We all know that a snap shot is a photograph so lets not try to re-write the english language with the ridiculous.

No one is re-writing the English language.  Words can have more than one meaning, sometimes even in the same sentence.

Oct 20 12 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Robert Lynch wrote:

David Parsons wrote:

No one is re-writing the English language.  Words can have more than one meaning, sometimes even in the same sentence.

Yes just like images...

Oct 20 12 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
Are you saying, then, that if there is no story to tell, it's a snapshot and not a photograph?  It is often said that a picture tells 1,000 words.  If it doesn't tell a thousand words, it's a snapshot?

If I set my camera to full manual (I have, and it has been set that way since about a month after I got it almost 3 years ago), it means I have to think about the shutter speed, aperture and ISO (among other things).  Sometimes I take a shot and the shutter speed is WAY too slow (resulting in an overexposed and blurred picture).  This is sometimes due to inexperience.  It's sometimes due to something happening fast that I want to capture.  In either case, it's a "snapshot" and not a good one.  On the other hand, if I'm shooting a model, there is time to get things right. 

Every shot isn't going to be a winner ... so some will be overexposed.  Some will be far too dark.  Some are going to be blurred a bit because of whatever reason.  At the end of the shot, though, even if I have moved the model to a place where a tree isn't growing out of their head, I've shot from an angle where their underwear isn't showing anymore and I've cropped the picture so there is no more trash can in the shot, many will say it's *still* a snapshot because it's "what I saw" and not "what I thought".  What part of this forest am I missing because I see a tree?

You are way over thinking the technical.  So. Let's say you happen to out and about and you visually see something and you take a picture.  Is it just a physical 2D representation of the scene as the camera recorded it?  The image should be created to make a 2D representation of what your mind saw, how you inturptreted the scene.  We control our cameras, we modify light, we use rules of compisition, and all our tools to guide the viewer into seeing what/how we see the world

Imangine if in that scene you saw a bird overlooking a field, like a monarch surveying their kingdom.  Is that what we see or did you give us a bunch of trees?

Edit: my avi is an example that may help.  We were shooting shoes and the image before and after that are perfectly good shoe shots that could go in any catalog.  When I saw her I saw a fierce and commanding presence that commanded the room and all attention.  That was what I hope I shot.

Oct 20 12 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

To me;
Snap shot = Point and Shoot with no concern for light and real thought of composition
Photograph = the study of light and composition and putting thought on how to capture it all

Oct 20 12 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

ArtisticGlamour

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
If someone were to ask you how you define the difference between a snapshot and a photograph, what would your answer be?

Snapshot: a quick-shot of a subject with very little planning. A "right-place-at-the-right-time" type of image (hopefully!). May be of a moving or "fleeting" subject...and probably will require a substantial amount of post-editing to address the unplanned mistakes in exposure and composition...to "turn-it-into" a Photograph.

Photograph: a well planned image. Exposure and composition are included in the planning process, and efforts are made to "create" the image rather than just "capture" the image. Probably will require very little post-editing.

Capture -vs- Create! smile

Oct 20 12 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

An artistic photograph is an artistic expression created with the intent of sharing my emotions with the viewer using a photograph as medium.

Oct 20 12 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

Darryl Varner

Burlington, Iowa, US

With regard to the Eisenstaedt photo of the nurse and the sailor, the version that seems most reasonable to me is that Eisenstaedt had seen the sailor weaving through the crowd and kissing various women. He saw the nurse in the sailor's path and took a chance that the man would do the same thing with her. So, the photo wasn't "posed" - Eisenstaedt was a small man and reportedly quite shy - but rather it was a combination of being at the right spot at the right time and taking advantage of a likely scenario.

Oct 20 12 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Gulag

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Some shooters, such as Philip-Lorca diCorcia and Bruce Davidson,  really take many amazing "snapshot" images. I believe an image is just an image. If it works, it works.

some of Philip-Lorca diCorcia's snapshots:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8289/7756063792_64f818081f_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7273/7756082444_f0015667e5_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7126/7778837342_fd132dc3c0_z.jpg

some of Bruce Davidson's:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7246/7806226936_b39f1a7d7d_z.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8445/7806224234_d9141fbc85_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7116/7806239940_f4114b48ff_z.jpg

Oct 20 12 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Art Silva Photography wrote:
To me;
Snap shot = Point and Shoot with no concern for light and real thought of composition
Photograph = the study of light and composition and putting thought on how to capture it all

+1

Oct 21 12 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

So ... if a snapshot *is* a photograph and a person (other than the model and photographer) looking at the resulting image can't possibly know what kind of hysterics went into the planning and executing of this shot ... why does anyone call anyone else's image a "snapshot" as a derogatory term?

I understand that many people go through many more hysterics than others do.  Some people spend 5-6 hours retouching an image to make it "perfect" where others don't.  Some people have been doing this for 30 years and have all sorts of high tech and/or very expensive equipment that a person just starting out doesn't have and can't yet afford.

Does this mean the person starting out is only taking "snapshots"?  Or they're only taking snapshots based on someone else's level of experience, equipment, style and what look someone else is going for?  Does this mean that if someone is going for a look that's in opposition to what you (a person) looks for, their work is substandard and a "snapshot"?

Thank you, everyone who responded. smile

Oct 21 12 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

Lovely Day Media wrote:

It would depend on who was asking.

Oct 21 12 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

AJScalzitti wrote:
Snapshots are "this is what I saw" and photography should be "this is what I thought"

Photos start with what the photographer felt...

Oct 21 12 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Greissing

Los Angeles, California, US

Difference between a snapshot and a photographer.....????

A snapshot is a photograph. Any discussion beyond that is pseudo intellectual verbal diarrhea.

Oct 22 12 02:08 am Link

Photographer

FullMetalPhotographer

Fresno, California, US

"A Photograph" is hard to define, but that "I know it when I see it."

Oct 22 12 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

MMR Creative Services

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

a snapshot is a photograph. a photograph is a snapshot. same/same. ask me. I do it all the time. now a polaroid is a whole other issue but, i wanna stay on topic.

Oct 22 12 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Light Writer

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Snapshot is used as a derogatory term, which is not always justified.

Is a photojournalist taking snapshots in a situation that's rapidly evolving and changing all the time? Maybe years of practice put him/her in the place where s/he'd be most likely to see the action.

Perhaps the difference is the ability to maximize the possibility of getting a brilliant picture. The lucky fan may get a great picture of the outfielder making a spectacular catch; the sports photographer may have studied the stats and know that mostly this hitter pulls left, the pitcher is likely to be hit, the outfielder made 3 such catches of the batter, so will move to the spot likely to produce THE picture of THE catch.

Oct 22 12 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

AJScalzitti wrote:

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Excellent !!!

I agree, great way of putting it. I'm going to use this in the future.

John
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 633
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
305 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Oct 22 12 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

After a long talk with an artist colleague, this is my final conclusion:  It is not up to anyone else to decide if my image is a "snapshot" or a "photograph", especially if I've done the best I can.  There will always be someone who has more and/or better equipment.  There will always be someone with more experience.  Everyone will always have a different opinion on angles, f stops, shutter speeds and many other variables, too.

Just because I chose a different shutter speed or composition doesn't mean my image is a "snapshot".  Anyone who says my image is inferior or theirs is superior is likely looking to put my work down so they can make theirs look or seem better.  Everything isn't for everyone else.

For instance ... I can cook well enough to keep myself and anyone else from starving to death.  Some may even say I can cook things that taste good.  I'm no chef, though.  I'm sure ANY chef can fix a meal that most people would just say "wow" to ... does it mean that mine is food and theirs is a meal?  They're both meals .... one just has a lot more time, education, experience and perhaps ingredients to it.  What if a person is allergic to wine, though, and everything the chef cooked has wine in it?  It doesn't matter how much time and effort the chef put into it, they aren't going to be able to eat it and be comfortable afterwards (unless they die).

So for this reason ... I still appreciate all the opinions, input, disagreements and everything else that everyone put into this thread... but from this point forward, I'll be the judge of my own work (not that anyone here said anything about my work) as long as there is no paying customer/client.

Oct 23 12 03:43 am Link

Photographer

Robert Lynch

Bowie, Maryland, US

Fred Greissing wrote:
Difference between a snapshot and a photographer.....????

A snapshot is a photograph. Any discussion beyond that is pseudo intellectual verbal diarrhea.

Unless all photographs are also snapshots, then no, it isn't.

Oct 23 12 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Robert Lynch

Bowie, Maryland, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
I understand that many people go through many more hysterics than others do.  Some people spend 5-6 hours retouching an image to make it "perfect" where others don't.  Some people have been doing this for 30 years and have all sorts of high tech and/or very expensive equipment that a person just starting out doesn't have and can't yet afford.

Great photos have been taken with relatively little planning and minimal equipment.  Horrible snapshots have been the result of hours of work and $10K in equipment.

Oct 23 12 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Paul Pardue Photography

Oakland, California, US

i was told (in another thread), that this was a snapshot... 

https://www.paulpardue.com/tmpimages/Fashion-Photography-San-Francisco-Paul-Pardue-Dress-Girl-Model-Ocean-Outdoor-Pacific-Rocks-Strobist-Sutro-Baths-Waves-20120830_114420_009093.jpg

So I really don't know anymore what qualifies as a snapshot or a 'photograph'

Oct 23 12 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Robert Lynch

Bowie, Maryland, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
After a long talk with an artist colleague, this is my final conclusion:  It is not up to anyone else to decide if my image is a "snapshot" or a "photograph", especially if I've done the best I can.  There will always be someone who has more and/or better equipment.  There will always be someone with more experience.  Everyone will always have a different opinion on angles, f stops, shutter speeds and many other variables, too.

Just because I chose a different shutter speed or composition doesn't mean my image is a "snapshot".  Anyone who says my image is inferior or theirs is superior is likely looking to put my work down so they can make theirs look or seem better.  Everything isn't for everyone else.

For instance ... I can cook well enough to keep myself and anyone else from starving to death.  Some may even say I can cook things that taste good.  I'm no chef, though.  I'm sure ANY chef can fix a meal that most people would just say "wow" to ... does it mean that mine is food and theirs is a meal?  They're both meals .... one just has a lot more time, education, experience and perhaps ingredients to it.  What if a person is allergic to wine, though, and everything the chef cooked has wine in it?  It doesn't matter how much time and effort the chef put into it, they aren't going to be able to eat it and be comfortable afterwards (unless they die).

So for this reason ... I still appreciate all the opinions, input, disagreements and everything else that everyone put into this thread... but from this point forward, I'll be the judge of my own work (not that anyone here said anything about my work) as long as there is no paying customer/client.

You really do seem to be obsessed with equipment for some reason.  People don't make great photographs because they have an extensive collection of high end gear.  They make great photographs because they have a vision and know how to achieve it with the right tools.  Very often, those tools do not need to be extensive. 

Yes, there is a difference between something that is just food that will keep you alive and a meal that is enjoyed for more than the fact that it will keep you from being hungry.

The only thing that you have written that doesn't come off as overly defensive is your last sentence.  You are correct.  The only people whose opinions really matter are the intended audience and if something is created just for you, your opinion rules.

Every image says something.  Some speak clearly of interesting concepts.  Others mumble incoherently about things no one cares about.  Most just plainly report basic facts.  If your work speaks to you and you are happy with what it says and how it says it, then you need not care if it is a "snapshot" or a "photograph".

Oct 23 12 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Robert Lynch

Bowie, Maryland, US

Paul Pardue Photography wrote:
i was told (in another thread), that this was a snapshot... 

So I really don't know anymore what qualifies as a snapshot or a 'photograph'

The problem with taking the general concepts of this thread and applying them to a specific image is that this is not the critique forum.

Oct 23 12 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

A photograph means something to everyone who sees it, a snapshot only means something to those that know the content.

Oct 23 12 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Sichenze Photography

Powhatan, Virginia, US

Vector One Photography wrote:
A photograph means something to everyone who sees it, a snapshot only means something to those that know the content.

I like this way of saying it.  I call snapshots record shots. I was there I saw this and I took a picture. I call a photograph trying to capture that location or anything else in the best way possible to strike a cord in the viewer.

Oct 23 12 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Robert Lynch wrote:
You really do seem to be obsessed with equipment for some reason.  People don't make great photographs because they have an extensive collection of high end gear.  They make great photographs because they have a vision and know how to achieve it with the right tools.  Very often, those tools do not need to be extensive. 

Yes, there is a difference between something that is just food that will keep you alive and a meal that is enjoyed for more than the fact that it will keep you from being hungry.

I'm not obsessed with equipment.  Yes, there are things I'd like to have.  This is probably true of everyone who isn't made of money.  However, being told that this is a "snapshot" because I didn't take lighting into account ... well, the person looking at the picture may not know that my only available light is a speedlight and I'm on location (as opposed to in a studio with really expensive lights).  How can they realistically say I didn't take light into account if they don't know what I have available?  What if I got the exact look I was going for?  To me, it means my "vision" is different than theirs.  It's not inferior or superior unless I say it is.  If it's inferior then I need to step up my game.  If it's superior, it's not my place to say to them that mine is superior.  I do think it's okay to say I disagree, though.

And yes, there is a difference between a meal that will keep one alive and one that will be "enjoyed".  It's a matter of perspective, though.  Some people eat to live.  Others live to eat.  One isn't inferior or superior to the other.  It's a difference of opinion, style, priority and/or desire.  For me, food is food.  I eat to live.  I understand that if a person is paying a lot of money, they want something to eat that's *really* good.  If someone shops for the food, drives to their house to cook it and serves it to them hot, do they really have a right to complain that it's "inedible" because someone else can do it better?  More importantly (at least to me), does anyone have a right to "complain" if they're not being "asked" to eat it?

The point of all this is to say I keep learning new ways to do things.  As long as I continue to do that, my game will continue to improve.  I don't need anyone to tell me I take "snapshots".

Oct 23 12 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Moon Pix Photography

Syracuse, New York, US

Call it whatever you want.. some "snapshots" are the best photographs.

Oct 23 12 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Paul Pardue Photography

Oakland, California, US

Robert Lynch wrote:

The problem with taking the general concepts of this thread and applying them to a specific image is that this is not the critique forum.

I was told that in a critique thread.

Oct 23 12 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Robert Lynch

Bowie, Maryland, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
However, being told that this is a "snapshot" because I didn't take lighting into account ... well, the person looking at the picture may not know that my only available light is a speedlight and I'm on location (as opposed to in a studio with really expensive lights).  How can they realistically say I didn't take light into account if they don't know what I have available?

Because it doesn't matter.  A photograph, any photograph, succeeds or fails based entirely on the final result.  No one ever takes into consideration what tools you did or did not have available.  No one takes into consideration how much physical effort or time was spent creating it.  The only thing anyone not involved with the creation of an image will ever care about is the final result, because that's all that they see, that's all that they appreciate and frankly, that's the way it should be.  You don't get extra credit for not having certain gear or having needed to hang upside down from a tree to get the shot.  This is something that relatively inexperienced photographers often have a difficult time appreciating.  They worked hard.  They did what they could with what little that they had.  They got results that made them happy.  And then the rest of the world yawns and the photogher can't understand why their hard work under limiting circumstances isn't appreciated.  A non-photographer friend of mine got to learn this first hand several years ago.  He helped me with arranging locations and handling logistics for a promotional calendar that I shot.  He was at most of the shoots.  Some were fairly easy.  Some were long and physically demanding.  When the calendar came out, he expected people to respond more enthusiastically to the difficult shoots, but that's not what happened.  People's responses to the various images were based entirely on what they perceived as the quality of the final results.

While you are mentioning the limitations of your location equipment, you aren't allowing for the fact that another photographer with more experience and a better developed vision could potentially use the same camera as you, the same speed light and the same model at the same location and still create a superior image.  While it is true that some tasks can only be accomplished with certain tools, in the end, it's usually the limitations of the person using the tools that is the biggest factor.  When the other person made the observation about lighting, did you look at it as a possible learning experience?  Did you explain what resources you had available at the time and ask for input about how you might have approached the task differently?  People have done excellent work on location with just a few speedlights.  David Hobby and Joe McNally come to mind.

Oct 23 12 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Lynch

Bowie, Maryland, US

Paul Pardue Photography wrote:
I was told that in a critique thread.

I assumed you were.  Unfortunately, no one can comment on it here.

Oct 23 12 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Woven Thought

Petersburg, Virginia, US

David Hirsh wrote:

Autonomy II wrote:
Snapshot:

An image taken, "on the fly," comparitively-spontaneously, without forethought as to composition (see candids, possibly street photography or, my early portfolio).

Kind of like this?

https://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbcaehBz9O1rra842o1_1280.jpg

And there you go.  THAT is a "snapshot," yet it's perfect.

I would say I 95% take snapshots.  Sorry, just how I do it.  I may have a vague plan, but I shoot what I see and sometimes I really love it.

Oct 23 12 02:22 pm Link