This thread was locked on 2012-11-08 13:45:39
Forums > General Industry > How do I even respond to this?

Photographer

Tim Nummy

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Sorry for the disturbance, I wasn't sure how to take a message I got and didn't realize I was crossing any lines by asking.

My apologies. Please delete this thread.

Nov 08 12 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Privately?

Seriously, outing is against the rules, posting pm's is rude, the thread is an exercise in lack of social awareness. You should edit out the op.

Nov 08 12 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

posting private messages and outing a model...

thats really fucked up...

Nov 08 12 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

In Balance Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Depends ... Was she right?

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I would shoot with her immediatley!!!!

If she thinks she's that good let her prove it. Maybe she is that good and she needs your help to take her to the top. I am never put off by statements like that, If it's confidence or arrogance you'll never know till you shoot.

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Tim Nummy wrote:
Recent mm message:

Tim Nummy   
11/07/12 10:47 PM (Message read)   
I would love to work with you!

XXXXXXXXXXX
11/08/12 3:24 AM   
How much experience do u have?
I saw ur pics and no offence but I'm way better of a model than the ppl you've shot.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

First, edit out all identifying information, as above.  After that, my suggestion would be to:
1-check the model's port to see if her work justifies her claim, then,
2- Decide whether or not you want to shoot with her (Being aware that she may well be a tiger that will eat you alive) and respond accordingly.

All IMHO, as always

Nov 08 12 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY

Jacksonville, Florida, US

OUCH !

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Clearly you don't take rejection well so I would suggest not responding to this at all.

Then, in future, don't send messages hoping for a nice response; leave a tag instead asking the model to contact you IF she would like to work with you. Then forget her.

If she does contact you then the boot is on the other foot and you are in a much stronger position to negotiate terms.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

nvm

Nov 08 12 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
You didn't have to quote it.

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Yup--Fixed it as soon as I spotted it.  Apologies.

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
Clearly you don't take rejection well so I would suggest not responding to this at all.

Then, in future, don't send messages hoping for a nice response; leave a tag instead asking the model to contact you IF she would like to work with you. Then forget her.

If she does contact you then the boot is on the other foot and you are in a much stronger position to negotiate terms.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

But there's no reason not to send a polite respectful PM, especially if you anticipate the model being in your neighborhood or you being in hers at some point.  I've both sent and received such messages on a number of occasions.  They are a bit more personal than tags, IMHO.

My guess is that the OP's initial PM seemed more like a pickup line than a compliment to the model.

Nov 08 12 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
the thread is an exercise in lack of social awareness.

I see breaching someone's privacy as more douchebagedness, then lack of social awareness..

Nov 08 12 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

The model made an opinion.  It was somewhat bold, in my opinion, but certainly NOT offensive.  No offense, but that was only an opinion.   I might agree with the models opinion, but then again I might not.   It's ONLY an opinion!  If you take such easy offense to "opinions" then you might be better off not shooting images that people will have opinions of? 

Also;  Don't go posting personal messages and outting models here.  You'll burn a lot of bridges and get brigged for doing so.

Nov 08 12 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:
My guess is that the OP's initial PM seemed more like a pickup line than a compliment to the model.

Hey Ray, I hadn't thought of it that way.  Sure, there are Lots of models I'd love to work with!  But it doesn't mean it's going to happen.  Posting a Tag like "Hey so and so, if you are in my neck of the woods, I'd love to work with you." is certainly benign, but I think it's a waste to send such a message directly to a models mailbox.   Like I said ... "there are lots of models I'd love to work with" but only so many messages I can send in a day.

Nov 08 12 01:40 pm Link