Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > How do you decide what you want for Christmas?

Model

JacquelineXx

Posts: 231

Valparaiso, Indiana, US

Every year, I sit down to start to write my Christmas List and I'm so excited and then my mind just goes ---------------

Completely blank.
So how do YOU jog your memory of stuff you want for Christmas or Hanukkah or whatever holiday it is that you may celebrate? Do you keep an ongoing list the entire year or do you sit down last minute like I do and try to figure out what you really want



What do you do

Nov 13 12 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

Laurence Moan

Posts: 7782

Huntington Beach, California, US

I find I have the same problem. People are always asking what I want for Christmas and I am already so blessed that I really don't know or need anything. But that just upsets the person asking.
"Well I've got to get you something! You must need something! What should I get you?"
"Nothing. Seriously. I'm not getting you anything so let's just not worry about it."
"Wait. What? Hahaha... good one. No really what do you want?"
"All right. Give me cash. I can always use cash. But don't expect anything back from me."
"Cash? Well that's not a gift. That's thoughtless. What are you gonna spend it on?"
"Some useless shit I'll think I need, probably. It'll take up the space of last year's shit that I'll have to move to the garage. New shit is always better."
"God you suck."
"Merry Christmas to you too."

Nov 13 12 09:05 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Posts: 58133

Annapolis, Maryland, US

I don't celebrate Christmas for this very reason. It's become more about what I'm going to get, and less about what I'm going to give. I'd rather someone give to charity instead of buying me a gift.

Nov 13 12 09:09 pm Link

Model

JacquelineXx

Posts: 231

Valparaiso, Indiana, US

Hahahahah oo man that was a bit cynical for Christmas time. Watch out or people are gonna start calling you Scrooge wink

I always give a really broad answer.

What do you want for Christmas?
Jewelry is fine
What KIND of jewelry?
I DON'T KNOW WHY DO YOU ASK SO MANY QUESTIONS

Nov 13 12 09:09 pm Link

Model

JacquelineXx

Posts: 231

Valparaiso, Indiana, US

Fifi wrote:
I don't celebrate Christmas for this very reason. It's become more about what I'm going to get, and less about what I'm going to give. I'd rather someone give to charity instead of buying me a gift.

I agree with this a lot-- for example, my younger sister's birthday is coming up and I found her such an awesome gift that I think I might actually be more excited about her birthday than SHE actually is. It's kind of funny.

Nov 13 12 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

Laurence Moan

Posts: 7782

Huntington Beach, California, US

Fifi wrote:
I don't celebrate Christmas for this very reason. It's become more about what I'm going to get, and less about what I'm going to give. I'd rather someone give to charity instead of buying me a gift.

Tell you what. Send me some cash and I'll donate it to your favorite charity. We can cross each other off our lists.

Nov 13 12 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Posts: 8035

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

JacquelineXx wrote:
Every year, I sit down to start to write my Christmas List and I'm so excited and then my mind just goes ---------------

Completely blank.
So how do YOU jog your memory of stuff you want for Christmas or Hanukkah or whatever holiday it is that you may celebrate? Do you keep an ongoing list the entire year or do you sit down last minute like I do and try to figure out what you really want



What do you do

Once you hit adulthood, it's not that big a deal...

Nov 13 12 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Posts: 33543

Los Angeles, California, US

Mine's easy. I just say very emphatically

I want a pony!

One year it will work. I know it.

Nov 13 12 09:56 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Posts: 2746

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I only ask for useful things that I really need and I always include a charity that I like. I usually put Heifer International but this year I put the Sierra Club too.

Nov 13 12 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38557

Portland, Oregon, US

JacquelineXx wrote:
Every year, I sit down to start to write my Christmas List and I'm so excited and then my mind just goes ---------------

Completely blank.
So how do YOU jog your memory of stuff you want for Christmas or Hanukkah or whatever holiday it is that you may celebrate? Do you keep an ongoing list the entire year or do you sit down last minute like I do and try to figure out what you really want



What do you do

Every year, I want a girlfriend.

Then I remember I need to provide a list of stuff that people can actually get me, like from stores and stuff.

Yeah, I do struggle some as if I need something I normally buy it, and that tends to leave only expensive stuff that no one can/will buy as a gift.

Thus things tend to be pretty lame...

plus, on my dad's side of the family, they always had this annoying habit that it did not matter what I asked for, no matter how specific I was they would always think they knew better and get me something different from what I needed/wanted.

Now, everyone is older and the whole exchanging of presents thing has pretty much ended.  (Plus, they started going to Florida for the holidays.)

Safe bets are things like music or itunes or dvds or video games.

In your case as a model, you could ask for like a Sephora gift certificate or even let the buy things from a specific store with a good return policy. wink

I can PM you if you want a list of things you can get me. tongue

Nov 13 12 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Posts: 8035

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

V Laroche wrote:
I only ask for useful things that I really need and I always include a charity that I like. I usually put Heifer International but this year I put the Sierra Club too.

Heifer International is my source for gifts for my clients.  Heifers for my 2 biggest clients.  Smaller clients get smaller animals given in their name.  My favorite was giving rabbits to Blue Bunny (ice cream)...  big_smile

Nov 13 12 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Posts: 8035

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

DougBPhoto wrote:

Every year, I want a girlfriend.

I guess I'm not surprised your wife never gets you one...  big_smile

Nov 13 12 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Posts: 15706

Orlando, Florida, US

My dishwasher doesn't clean my dishes adequately anymore.

Therefore, I need a new dishwasher for Christmas. So, I will be buying myself a new dishwasher for Christmas.

Nov 13 12 10:06 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Posts: 2746

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I bit the bullet and got my teenage stepsister black lace openwork tights, because I wanted them. If they don't think it's appropriate, they can give them back to me.

#THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DON'T MAKE A LIST, FAMILY

Nov 13 12 10:06 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Posts: 2746

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
My dishwasher doesn't clean my dishes adequately anymore.

Therefore, I need a new dishwasher for Christmas. So, I will be buying myself a new dishwasher for Christmas.

Have you been cleaning it out regularly? I use this citrus oil concentrate deposit-cleaner, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than another appliance.

Nov 13 12 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38557

Portland, Oregon, US

Gianantonio wrote:

I guess I'm not surprised your wife never gets you one...  big_smile

If I had one of those, I would not need the other.

Nov 13 12 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

r T p

Posts: 3077

Los Angeles, California, US

DougBPhoto wrote:
Every year, I want a girlfriend.

Then I remember I need to provide a list of stuff that people can actually get me, like from stores and stuff.


t
hat can be arranged ...

www.getagirlfriend.com

and you can has different one every year


  : D

Nov 13 12 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Posts: 4279

Vineland, New Jersey, US

I'm not one who celebrates Christmas or most other holidays that some people live to celebrate.  My true friends know who they are and they know a gift is liable to show up on any given day of the year.  I give because I want to and not because it's expected on a certain day of the year.

  On the other hand, I don't expect anyone to ever give me anything.  If they do, it's from the heart and not out of obligation.  I think it's better this way but a lot of people disagree with me.

Nov 13 12 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

Posts: 15867

New York, New York, US

ACCESSORIZE!!!

latest electronics are really difficult to ask for because you already know they are too expensive to justify

so I ask for stylish cufflinks, tie clips, chest pins, crowns, belts, etc

Nov 13 12 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38557

Portland, Oregon, US

Oh, Jacqueline, I forgot being able to do things like Amazon wish lists.

Yeah it takes some time to figure out and list things you'd want, but it really helps with specificity.

Nov 13 12 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Posts: 8035

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

DougBPhoto wrote:

If I had one of those, I would not need the other.

That's what you say now...  big_smile

Nov 13 12 10:48 pm Link

guide forum

Model

Anna Adrielle

Posts: 18763

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

I'm kind of neurotic when it comes to making list.

I just write whatever would come in handy, and then order them according to price range

if people ask, I'll have an answer. If not, I'm sure that whatever they decide to give me is going to be awesome and I'll love it. A gift from the heart is never a bad thing!

Just don't get me gift certificate cards smile

Nov 14 12 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Photos 4 The Memories

Posts: 1287

Kewaskum, Wisconsin, US

Gianantonio wrote:

Once you hit adulthood, it's not that big a deal...

When my boy was alive it was fun watching him use his paws to open everyone's gift. Now that he is gone its just another day on the calendar to me.

Nov 14 12 01:04 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Posts: 21388

Orlando, Florida, US

All I want fer Xmas is for Miss J to come shoot with me  .  .  .  wink  See, now it's written down, so I won't ferget  .  .  .

SOS

Nov 14 12 01:11 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Posts: 5210

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

I always ask for the same thing.......... World Peace.

Nov 14 12 01:23 am Link

Model

Seker Pare

Posts: 186

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

I don't really like Christmas that much. I also don't like it when family ask me if there is anything I want. I wish they'd just find something small and thoughtful that they know I'd like rather than make me feel awkward and have to come up with something I don't think is either going to make them feel awkward buying for me, or that I don't think is unreasonable or expensive. All of the things I need - I buy. All of the things I want and don't have yet - probably because they're quite expensive or not just at a shop near by...
As for partners... It's kind of interesting seeing what they think you might like.
I ask for book store vouchers, or if it's my mother - something practical like foundation, make up I am missing, stuff like that...

Nov 14 12 02:26 am Link

Model

JacquelineXx

Posts: 231

Valparaiso, Indiana, US

sospix wrote:
All I want fer Xmas is for Miss J to come shoot with me  .  .  .  wink  See, now it's written down, so I won't ferget  .  .  .

SOS

I would KILL to have this happen!!! You don't even know


These posts are great guys. I forgot how many little laughs I get in these forums smile

Nov 14 12 02:40 am Link

Model

IDiivil

Posts: 4113

Los Angeles, California, US

I keep a list of things that catch my eye and add it to my Amazon wishlist, haha. I review it pretty often and remove things as I need to if I decide I no longer want it or if I've bought it for myself smile

Nov 14 12 04:24 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Posts: 15706

Orlando, Florida, US

V Laroche wrote:

Have you been cleaning it out regularly? I use this citrus oil concentrate deposit-cleaner, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than another appliance.

It's 17 years old and was a cheap dishwasher 17 years ago.

It's loud, not energy star compliant and basically just sprays hot water on things.

I'm replacing it with a modern, stainless tub, extremely efficient, quiet model that matches my fridge and has a sanitize program.

The old dishwasher will go to a friend's family who do not currently have a working one.


Besides, getting new shiny things makes me happy!

Nov 14 12 04:27 am Link

Photographer

Image Works Photography

Posts: 2890

Orlando, Florida, US

I am more- have I decided what to give for christmas. Christmas to me is a blessing and a curse.

Nov 14 12 06:27 am Link

Photographer

Gabby57

Posts: 424

Coppell, Texas, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
Mine's easy. I just say very emphatically

I want a pony!

One year it will work. I know it.

I got my granddaughter a pony for her birthday in Sept. . . then her mother hid one of the coconut halves.

This is another reason Halloween is my favorite holiday, it's cheaper than Christmas and I like candy more than turkey.

Nov 14 12 06:39 am Link

Photographer

West Images

Posts: 754

Sacramento, California, US

I start by ruling out the things I already have.......

~ ALOHA ~

Nov 14 12 06:57 am Link

Photographer

ArtisticPhotography

Posts: 7699

Buffalo, New York, US

Sheryl Crow has a great line in a song that say, "it's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got".

I am a very simple person and I have virtually no wants. That extends to Christmas presents.  I like getting the kids and family stuff, but I want nothing for myself. That makes an easy Christmas list.

I am completely content with a nice cup of coffee and watching the kids.

Merry Christmas to you-all.

Nov 14 12 07:09 am Link

Photographer

Paolo Diavolo

Posts: 8792

Martinez, California, US

every year i want nothing.
i'm not 7 years old, so i dont make a list for Santa.

if i need something during the year, i'll buy it.
same with giving gifts.

Nov 14 12 07:13 am Link

Photographer

Digital Photo PLUS

Posts: 5503

Lorton, Virginia, US

I've been a bad atheist this year. No presents for me.

Nov 14 12 08:46 am Link

Model

LizzyB

Posts: 2195

Rochester, New York, US

lol i just make a list for my mum/sibs, the only other person that asks me what i want is my bf tongue which is just uncomfortable for me, but i think i'd ask for jewelry (necklace) if he hasn't thought of it yet tongue

how do i know what to ask for? i think back to the past few months and remember what i would have liked to buy if i had had the money (VERY short of funds right now.)  dvd's and books i want to own, clothes i "need," "toys" that i just want smile  asking for experiences can also work: i've been wanting to take dance classes again but can't afford to, so i'm also asking for a gift certificate to my local dance studio.

Nov 14 12 09:06 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Posts: 25319

Bath, England, United Kingdom

If I get ANYTHING at all I count myself lucky!

Even though it's usually just socks or a mug with a silly caption on it big_smile




Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Nov 14 12 09:11 am Link

Model

Miss AY

Posts: 8166

Boston, Massachusetts, US

It's rare for me to have something really specific that I want. Growing up, my brother always had a list of things he wanted... I on the other hand just liked the surprise of opening something and finding out what it is.

These days, after some harping on from family, I use an amazon wishlist. I have a browser add on button for it, so any time I'm surfing online and see something cool I add it to my list. I never GET anything from the list because people just decide to do entirely different things lol but that's fine with me smile

When all else fails... gift cards. I love getting gift cards.

Nov 14 12 09:35 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Posts: 18211

Orlando, Florida, US

I never ask for anything  I tell them to get me whatever they want plus I love being surprised. I love Christmas because I love to give. Honestly my favorite part of christmas is buying gifts for other people.

Nov 14 12 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Posts: 10546

Glendora, California, US

I HATE Christmas surprises.  To get an alcohol drinking game book worth $11.95 when I'm 45 is inappropriate and unthoughtful.  To get a .99c store box of black licorice from my brother, when I've HATED black licorice my entire fucking life is not thoughtful.  But, you have to sit there and smile and say, "Thank you" anyway.

You MUST make a comprehensive list. 
Put a couple $200.00 items, and a few $5.00 items, so people with more or less money can still get something from the list. 

Otherwise you're getting a poorly thought out shit item you don't want.  They say, "It's the thought that counts."  That's bullshit!  Getting a $20.00 Subway card doesn't require much thought.  Just give me the $20.00 in it instead. 

In fact, you can even mention that on your list. 
"No gift cards.  Cash instead."

Unless, of course, you like gift cards.  But, be specific which cards are acceptable.

Nov 14 12 09:40 am Link