Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > How Do You Get Your Photos Together

Photographer

Johnnyboy Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Believe me , I am not trying to call anyone out at all when I ask this and if you want to PM me your answer, I would definitely understand. I see so many talented D/A in here who do the things that I want to do such as these fantasy works with unicorns and castles. How or where do you get all the images needed to collaborate to make this possible? Just wondering because $25 USD for just 1 photo seems like a lot. Maybe its not and maybe its average. I don't know. Do you actually pay for all of these photos from like fotosearch or getty images?  Some I am sure are your own stock photo. I am willing to pay fotosearch or whatever website to get what I need, but if there is another way to do it (legally) please share...if you want.

Nov 27 12 05:54 am Link

Photographer

Jacob Davis

Boulder, Colorado, US

My favorites for free stock imagery:

cgtextures.com
sxc.hu
browse.deviantart.com/resources/

Nov 27 12 06:11 am Link

Photographer

le roy le croix

Grove Place, Saint Croix, Virgin Islands of the United States

Jacob Davis wrote:
My favorites for free stock imagery:

cgtextures.com
sxc.hu
browse.deviantart.com/resources/

yep,
and here's a google search of 'free stock photos'
https://www.google.com/search?q=free+st … =firefox-a

Nov 27 12 06:35 am Link

Photographer

Johnnyboy Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Wow thanks you guys/gals. I knew I was being short sighted and giving up too easy. I really appreciate it.

Nov 28 12 12:07 pm Link

Retoucher

Portland Retouch

Portland, Oregon, US

I create my own, and shoot what I need..........
I shoot my subject in studio and then shoot my
backgrounds separate...if that helps

Nov 28 12 09:05 pm Link

Digital Artist

Andreea Cernestean

Baia Mare, Maramureş, Romania

25$ for 1 photo is not a lot. Considering the hours of work that usually go into something like that.

Nov 28 12 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

Pelle Piano

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

There is also www.everystockphoto.com that can search thru multiple free stock photo sites ar once.

Nov 29 12 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Johnnyboy Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Portland Retouch wrote:
I create my own, and shoot what I need..........
I shoot my subject in studio and then shoot my
backgrounds separate...if that helps

Yeah it does and I have had thoughts of doing it like that, but the problem comes in when I want to put a castle in the background or put sand on the ground. I just don't live in an area where finding those things locally are possible.

Nov 29 12 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Johnnyboy Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

pellepiano wrote:
There is also www.everystockphoto.com that can search thru multiple free stock photo sites ar once.

Thank  you. Very , much appreciate your help. Very much so

Nov 29 12 08:47 am Link

Retoucher

Alena Hovorkova

Brno, Jihomoravsky, Czech Republic

Besides what has already been said/posted -
there are - perhaps - some other possible options available, too:

- Purchased stock packages (in case you need/use many different images and the investment is worth it).  With some subscribtion plans - some microstock photobanks are pretty cheep (per image) when images are purchased in some larger/bulk amounts.

- Or (if applicable) you can also exchange your own images for other images, within a photobank you contribute to (in case you are - or decide to become - a contributor).

As a stock image contributor (provided you are generating some income/earnings) - you can exchange part (or all, if you may wish to) of your earnings/credits for some other photographers´ images as an option, instead of being paid.
That´s what I sometimes do/use,
for some images that I am not able to paint/shoot myself.
Works fine.

As for free DA stock photos provided by DA members - in my experience - that is a nice resource place, nice and active community there, but - when looking for some particular image/motive, you may have difficulties, though.

I also - from time to time - use some ´free images´, provided by various photobanks/resources - but - I would still advice to proceed with care with that type of ´free images´, though. Not all of them (though it may look like that) are actually ´free´ - since many of those ´free´ images are actually aimed/provided for free just for personal use only, in fact.
So, in case you plan some commercial use, prints etc., just double check the licence/terms of use.
a.

Dec 05 12 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

richy01

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Deviant Art would be a great start, it;s a cool place and tehre are a lot of images free available...depending on what you are looking for.

Dec 07 12 08:06 am Link