Forums > Photography Talk > Making these 2 looks with Lights w/ client#1 2013!

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Sung Han wrote:
Hi guys,

I've got a hair client shoot next week and would appreciate feedback on how to achieve these 2 looks with lights.

http://www.penteadosecabelos.com/wp-con … s/1-25.jpg

I'm thinking using a 70-200 with two backlights to key out the background to white. Model placed about 10 feet from the back wall. Two v cards on either side of the model to catch any spill from the backlight. And one key light 25inch beauty dish about 12 foot camera right. Do you think I need a fill light? There's some shadow on her left but I'm not sure if there is another light in there.

2. http://www.fashionmagazine.com/blogs/fa … -february/

Again, probably a 70-200. I don't know how much space is between the model and wall. (Is the shadow psed or is she actually near the wall? For the light, I'm thinking a beauty dish again above and behind where I'm standing. and 11 feet up. Or should I use a profoto 8ft? Is this used with 1 or 2 light? Seems like there is a light on camera left for hair?

Thank you all for your help in advance. I would love to discuss with anyone here for techniques, diagram. smile

Best,
Sung

Not that I want to agree with those who said to pass, but if you're asking pretty basic questions on how to run a shoot then I'd have to side with them.

The two photos you posted, although very well done, are pretty simple and something any decent photographer would be able to do - granted with style differences, but they aren't reinventing the wheel here.

Personally I like to use more of a hard light source with a softer light behind, then another light for fill from below or even a reflector. Also, IMO, if you're worried then just use a softbox or octa for the main as a BD or harder source sometimes has more contrast and pop, which is harder to take out later than add. But, either one of those shots (minus blowing out the background) is mostly a one light deal with fill.

If you can, before the shoot, grab a few (any) models from here and try things out. Then you have some experience to fall back on during the real shoot.

Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com

Jan 04 13 06:03 pm Link

Jan 04 13 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

kevinLi

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Funny how OP asked a simple lighting question, where in most case people will be happy to help but, but as soon as there is the word "client" all of a sudden everyone becomes a business consultant.

Jan 04 13 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

CP_

Seattle, Washington, US

If using a beauty dish for the first shot, I would put a sock on it. It doesn't look like a bare dish to me. Besides a socked dish, an octa I think would also work.

Jan 04 13 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Washington, District of Columbia, US

God forbid anyone ask for advice in these forums,
Mention one "wrong" thing....
You WILL get attacked!

Also, what Kevin said.

Jan 04 13 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Rachel Reilly wrote:
God forbid anyone ask for advice in these forums,
Mention one "wrong" thing....
You WILL get attacked!

Yeah, I guess knowing what you're doing before you start taking people's money is just such an old fashioned idea these days...

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jan 04 13 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

kevinLi

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:

Yeah, I guess knowing what you're doing before you start taking people's money is just such an old fashioned idea these days...

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

It's not like he has no clue, what he had in mind was pretty close basically he just seems to want more specific facts and reassurance since it looks like he is a good shooter with good eye for aesthetic but not 100% confident in technical strobe.

Jan 04 13 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

ZEPhoto

Los Angeles, California, US

I don't think he asked whether he should do the shoot or not, and therefore I'm not sure you critiquing his business plan is really appropriate. Also, this thread was derailed by people pontificating on something other than what the OP stated, which I also believe is derailing a thread. This could be considered trolling.

OP- You have your tips. Go try them out asap and prepare before your shoot.

Jan 04 13 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Sung Han

New York, New York, US

Yup yup... I will heed all your advices, tips.

Jan 04 13 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Stefano- i adore your work but you can be such a negative nancy!

OP has to start somewhere!
Live and learn. :-)

Jan 05 13 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Dude...that is a lost art around here

Jan 05 13 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Illuminate wrote:
Dude...that is a lost art around here

lol

Jan 05 13 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Sung Han

New York, New York, US

Thank you guys so much for all your tips and encouragements. I followed my initial set ups and took into consideration everything you guys said. All the haters, I love you, too. I came out of the shoot a more confident strobist. I really want to show you guys the photo but under contractual blah blah can't yet. The client was extremely pleased with the photos. Looks like they are using me again next month. woot. I met some dope creatives as well. Once again, thanks for your help everyone.

One love,

S

Jan 10 13 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

rickspix_uk

Southend-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom

lad it went well for you,  I for one cant wait to see the photo's ... no doubt some will want to pick them to pieces tho ,  but thats MM for you !

Jan 10 13 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

SKITA Studios

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Sung Han wrote:
The client was extremely pleased with the photos. Looks like they are using me again next month. woot. I met some dope creatives as well. Once again, thanks for your help everyone.

Nice job.

So what was the answer to your original question?  What lighting did you end up with?

Jan 11 13 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Sung Han

New York, New York, US

SKITA Studios wrote:

Nice job.

So what was the answer to your original question?  What lighting did you end up with?

The first shot was with 3 lights, 2 to key out the background and one bd above the model. The second shot I put her close to the wall and used one bd above right. I used the profoto 7a pack. They claim to be consistent with lights but there was a point in the shoot when one of the light went down half a stop by itself and I had to readjust it.

Jan 11 13 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Sung Han

New York, New York, US

So yea, if anyone wants to know how the shoot went... it's the first photo on my page info. thanks a lot for your help people. Can't wait to do it again...., they ended up hiring me as the photographer for their company. They're outfitting part of their warehouse into a studio... that means I get to learn studio lighting 10x faster now. So happy and blessed. Learned so much.

Feb 19 13 12:07 am Link