Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Some honest opinions?

Photographer

Stuart Henderson

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom

Hello I just joined here recently and would really appreciate some honest opinions on what you all think about my images. Comments on posing the model, composition and editing or whatever all welcome.

Thanks

Stuart

Jan 10 13 06:00 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Henderson

bump

Jan 11 13 12:15 am Link

Photographer

The Gross Bite

Lansing, Michigan, US

Well, your portfolio is certainly a mixed bag.

Some of it is a bit 'gimmicky'... a phase most photographers go through early on working with llamas. If an image doesn't seem to work... try sepia toning, cross-processing, etc... maybe (not very often) it may 'improve' the image.

I'll be honest with you, I just looked at your thumbnails. What I saw was enough to convince me, I didn't need to see the images large.

Sepia, cross-processing, etc. has it's place... it can make a good image spectacular. It won't make an average image better.

I can't comment on your other post processing... the thumbnails are too small for that.

You seem to be off to a reasonable start as far as posing. Some folks get off on a 'put the llama in the most unnatural pose possible' track when they start out...
A simple natural pose is usually the best unless you are photographing a Cirque d' Soleil star.

Same with lighting... simple at first. Natural or maybe one or two lights in a studio. Get fancy after you have mastered that. It'll take some time. Rome wasn't built... etc.

One tip: Talk to your llamas... get to know them as people, even if you are paying them to just sit and talk. It pays off in better pictures.

Good luck!

Jan 11 13 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Henderson

Thanks for that, I think you make some very good points. Im definitely experimenting at the moment with different styles to find out what I like and what doesnt work for me.

I know I do "rescue" some blah images with photoshop to make them ok, and hearing someone actually say it will actually inspire me to get off my arse and do better.

Thanks again for your time.

Any other comments welcome by everyone. Maybe Tell me on specific images after looking at it fully, what is wrong and if anything is right about it? It all would be a greatly appreciated. smile

Jan 11 13 01:49 am Link

Photographer

Digital Photo PLUS

Lorton, Virginia, US

I like. You are trying different things, you certainly have a good eye. My favorite is first picture in second row. Nice contrast between the flowery clothes and the background. Nice tonality going on there.

Next time you are shooting try pictures with more contrast and see if that what you are trying to get.

Jan 15 13 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Stuart Henderson

Thank you very much. I will indeed try what you suggest, I have a shoot on Sunday so will be trying more new things.

Jan 16 13 05:07 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

If there's one thing that stands out as a "needs to improve" with your portfolio, it's background composition. In some of your images, the background detracts more than it adds.

Jan 16 13 05:20 am Link

Photographer

Foto Priganica

Leeds, England, United Kingdom

you're doing fine to start off ... good eye and initiative to learn will improve your portfolio soon in my opinion....loads and loads of shoots and experimenting with technique and edit will help you decide on the style that suits you best ... I commented on my fav photo in your port and the one I'd keep out is the sepia one. good luck and lots of good light

Jan 16 13 05:48 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Henderson

William Kious wrote:
If there's one thing that stands out as a "needs to improve" with your portfolio, it's background composition. In some of your images, the background detracts more than it adds.

Yes looking back at the images ive got in my portfolio there are definitely some pics there that I agree with what you say. thanks you very much for your opinion.

Jan 16 13 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Henderson

Foto Priganica wrote:
you're doing fine to start off ... good eye and initiative to learn will improve your portfolio soon in my opinion....loads and loads of shoots and experimenting with technique and edit will help you decide on the style that suits you best ... I commented on my fav photo in your port and the one I'd keep out is the sepia one. good luck and lots of good light

thanks for your reply, The one you picked is also my personal fav of the bunch in the portfolio. My intentions are just as you suggest, to shoot as much as possible. again thanks for your opinions and for taking the time to browse my images.

Jan 16 13 08:17 am Link

Model

Daniel Pierce

Burbank, California, US

Dang, man. Strong start.

This one jumped off the page:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130111/09/50f051c0f3aa3_m.jpg

only critique is that it looks possibly a little too smooth, but that could be natural, and it's also a look that is used in many high end print work.

There a lot of other that are great but that is the favorite. Love your harmony of darkness and color.

Keep it up.

Jan 16 13 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Stuart Henderson

Thanks Daniel, I really appreciate that.

Jan 17 13 01:33 am Link