Forums > Photography Talk > Mamiya lense cap stuck

Photographer

365 Digitals Exposed

Perris, California, US

I was going through my old stuff today, and found  this Mamiya lenses in one of the boxes,  when I was trying to remove the cap it wouldn't come off. is there any trick to remove this cap off the lenses.
any advice will be appreciated  I just don't wanna keep messing with it cause it's getting all scratch out .

I took a picture so you guys can see the type of lenses.
https://www.mediafire.com/conv/7c022335af2df5282a37decc54fb9061e577a066f72e1d5324e7aa79a4967dcf6g.jpg

Jan 19 13 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Is it possibly threaded on?

Jan 19 13 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

365 Digitals Exposed

Perris, California, US

George Ruge wrote:
Is it possibly threaded on?

yes it's threaded but how it got so tie? or any trick?

Jan 19 13 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Gogar

Göteborg, Västra Götaland, Sweden

There is no way to gently warm the cap? That will make it expand a bit and works well for other threaded things that sticks.
I don't mean extremely heating it.

Jan 19 13 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

365 Digitals Exposed

Perris, California, US

Gogar wrote:
There is no way to gently warm the cap? That will make it expand a bit and works well for other threaded things that sticks.
I don't mean extremely heating it.

The thing in the back is metal. and I don't know if it would expand? I'll keep the advise in mind for tomorrow morning for sure,

Jan 19 13 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Rainer Ressmann

Vienna, Wien, Austria

if your´re talking about the one on the backside:
turn the ring so, that the red dot is in one line with the red arrow, then you should be able to remove the cap on the camera end. at least it works that way with the mamiya RZ.

Jan 20 13 05:58 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

If the front cap is a screw on put it on a firm surface and with the palm of your hand exerting even pressure across the entire cap press down and turn. Since it is screwed into a filter either the cap or filter should turn.
If that does not work and the cap is plastic get out the hammer and screwdriver, botht the cap and filter are expendable. Or go to a repair shop.
When you get it off discard and use a snap on cap.

Jan 20 13 08:08 am Link

Photographer

365 Digitals Exposed

Perris, California, US

Rainer Ressmann wrote:
if your´re talking about the one on the backside:
turn the ring so, that the red dot is in one line with the red arrow, then you should be able to remove the cap on the camera end. at least it works that way with the mamiya RZ.

That's what I was thinking, the two red dots should be in the same position. as you see in the picture the dot's are far apart.thanks for the input.

Jan 20 13 08:08 am Link

Photographer

365 Digitals Exposed

Perris, California, US

Robert Helm wrote:
If the front cap is a screw on put it on a firm surface and with the palm of your hand exerting even pressure across the entire cap press down and turn. Since it is screwed into a filter either the cap or filter should turn.
If that does not work and the cap is plastic get out the hammer and screwdriver, botht the cap and filter are expendable. Or go to a repair shop.
When you get it off discard and use a snap on cap.

is he back cap the one creating the problem.

Jan 20 13 08:10 am Link

Photographer

David Westlake

Mansfield Center, Connecticut, US

if it's threaded in try using a belt like a strap wrench. Someone used to make a strap wrench for filters.

Jan 20 13 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Patrickth

Bellingham, Washington, US

365 Digitals Exposed wrote:
I was going through my old stuff today, and found  this Mamiya lenses in one of the boxes,  when I was trying to remove the cap it wouldn't come off. is there any trick to remove this cap off the lenses.
any advice will be appreciated  I just don't wanna keep messing with it cause it's getting all scratch out .

https://www.mediafire.com/conv/7c022335af2df5282a37decc54fb9061e577a066f72e1d5324e7aa79a4967dcf6g.jpg

You have several things going on:
The very top is just a lens cap, its is inserted in a filter.  The filter is screwed in.  Push down and turn, counter clockwise.  The filter should turn.  If it doesn't, it is probably cross threaded.

On the bottom, it is a push on cap.  You can safely pull it off.  If it doesn't come off, I would just take a screwdriver, drive it through to use as leverage and pull it off that way.  I would tackle it from very end, but don't go deep, just enough to get some leverage.

Jan 20 13 09:04 am Link

Photographer

365 Digitals Exposed

Perris, California, US

thanks all for the help, just got this cap off few minutes ago, a pair of gloves for better grip this the trick, problem fixed,  I learned  this caps loosen up by twisting to left.  thanks again.

Jan 20 13 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Harold Rose

Calhoun, Georgia, US

365 Digitals Exposed wrote:

Generally by pressing on the two tabs on the sides of the cap,  will free it..  If it was dropped and wedged,  you might have to turn it back and forth and lift at same time..

I cannot tell but there might be a glass filter on the lens..  in this case a clamp and unscrew from the filter...

Jan 20 13 09:39 am Link

Photographer

365 Digitals Exposed

Perris, California, US

Harold Rose wrote:
Generally by pressing on the two tabs on the sides of the cap,  will free it..  If it was dropped and wedged,  you might have to turn it back and forth and lift at same time..

I cannot tell but there might be a glass filter on the lens..  in this case a clamp and unscrew from the filter...

thanks harold  just got it loose few minutes ago  it was just tie as hell

Jan 20 13 09:42 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Have you tried running it under hot water and then banging the rim lightly on the countertop?

Oh, that's a jelly jar. Never mind.

Jan 20 13 11:07 am Link