Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Dealing with really flaky, dry skin. :p

Makeup Artist

SD Makeup Artisty

Hicksville, New York, US

So the other day, I did makeup for my boyfriends cousin for her sweet sixteen.  I did a trial on her, and during that, I noticed that her skin was very dry, and so flaky that almost everything I was doing caused skin to flake off. (Sorry, that sounds super gross.) I told her to exfoliate the night before the day of so that the makeup went on a little bit better.  So day of, her skin looked pretty much the same even though she said she exfoliated.  I struggled a bit to make everything look smooth, and I eventually found that if I patted the foundation on with a sponge, it caused the least amount of micro exfoliation. Does anyone have any product recommendations or tecniques that could help me if I encounter this again?  It was almost a little bit awkward because her skin (although she was happy with the makeup) just didn't come out how I wanted it.

Thanks in advance. (:

Jan 25 13 01:35 pm Link

Model

Affinity Finch

Torpoint, England, United Kingdom

See I have excema on my hands feet and face so find it really difficult when it comes to foundation, the only thing i've found that really works is drink a tonne of water, moistureise and use light foundation, I've never found a product that ALONE makes my skin look unflakey hmm x

Jan 25 13 01:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Vanita MUA

Seattle, Washington, US

What kind of foundation did you use? I've noticed that I can't use my graftobian HD on dry skin clients due to flakey-ness, so I use a water base foundation like MAC f&b and apply with a stippling brush.

Jan 25 13 03:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cynna Stylz MUA

New York, New York, US

So far I have not had a customer with sever dry skin. But as for me, I suffer from the extreme dryness. I always try to use a moisturizing foundation like MAC mineralize foundation or Satin Finish or more recently ( and I was shocked !!) BH Cosmetics Liq foundation.

My process before makeup. I exfoliate twice a week, sometimes more. I use a toner for dry skin. Then I moisturize with Nivea ( the big blue jar) or/and Vit E face cream. With weather this cold I also add a thin layer of Vit E oil to my to my face.

I let it "settle" for about ten minuets before I put on foundation. A stipple brush is best but for me its annoying so I use the Sigma F82 or F84 Kabuki brush.

This is my best regimen.

Jan 25 13 06:17 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Linda the makeup artist

Prague, Prague, Czech Republic

http://inmykit.com/cleanse.htm

There are three peeling pads recommendations for non-abrasive exfoliation (chemical). If they were available to me, I'd have gotten one or the other, sadly they aren't (although after a bit of google-fu, I'm hopeful big_smile ). Dermalogica also does these, so maybe have a look at them. wink

Be careful, though, me and my mum have very dry and sensitive skin. I go pink after doing glycolic exfoliation (which is what these pads do) and my mum says they sting and burn her. It's not too bad, but it's definitely something that can happen.

I also wouldn't use it on skin that has unhealed wounds on it (like not-yet-healed blemishes).

I also carry in my kit pads for abrasive exfoliation (they're very gentle). On the very extreme cases, I might use both, but I haven't yet met one like that, although I have thought of doing it once or twice. smile

Jan 26 13 12:54 am Link

Model

KatieMariexo

New York, New York, US

Try Garnier Rescue-Gel cream. I had dry skin around my nose every single winter and I hated it. I happened across this product in RiteAid & it worked like a charm.

Sorry for sounding like an advertisement, lol.

Jan 26 13 06:26 am Link

Makeup Artist

MakeUp By CC

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Could be that the skin is dry and flaky cos of not being cared for properly but can also be because of eczema... find out which, cos using peeling on eczema is a no-no!!
Please be careful with exfoliators... I for instance have sensitive fair skin, if someone would exfoliate before makeup it would NOT look good, it irritates my skin. It's best done night before with a really good moisturizer after..

Everybody is different but make sure it's not sensitive eczema skin when using glycolic and similar...

For a quick fix on skin like this I use eight hour cream on the worst patches and then stipple on liquid foundation with a sponge.

Jan 26 13 06:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

sdmakeupartistry

Hicksville, New York, US

Vanita MUA wrote:
What kind of foundation did you use? I've noticed that I can't use my graftobian HD on dry skin clients due to flakey-ness, so I use a water base foundation like MAC f&b and apply with a stippling brush.

That's what I used, and I had to kind of pat it on with a sponge for the best result.
That's good to know though, thanks. (:

(This is my new account btw. I started this thread.)

Jan 27 13 07:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rachel Lindley Makeup

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

You could try using Airbrushing, I've had people with really dry skin... Temptu is really good brand for covering dry skin etc, or I've tried Elizabeth Arden Intervene on someone with exemca and it went really well...  Try using a sponge like you said and it will help.

Jan 27 13 04:03 pm Link

Clothing Designer

evelinagalli

Glendale, California, US

Post hidden on Jan 29, 2013 10:29 pm
Reason: not helpful

Jan 27 13 10:35 pm Link

Model

Lauren Terese

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I would reccomend using QV wash and QV cream. It is perfume, lanolin and propylene glycol free, pH balenced and is super moisturising! You can get it from the chemist and it's inexpensive and basic but it works amazingly.

So many people overstimulate there skin by using heaps of different products, peels, masks etc but it usually makes the problem worse, simple is usually best especially with young skin.

smile

Jan 28 13 07:29 am Link

Makeup Artist

Carina Chatel

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Hey ! You should try Embryolisse lait-crème concentré smile a must for me especially in winter !

Jan 28 13 08:37 am Link

Makeup Artist

jmorrismua

Chicago, Illinois, US

Vanita MUA wrote:

Graftobian + dry, flaky skin = a hot mess! I had to learn this the hard way.

It's sad for me b/c Graft is my holy grail makeup. But I've found that someone has to have smooth normal skin in order for it to work right.

I've definitely had my woes with people with flaky skin. My suggestions would be to manipulate the skin as little as possible. Tone and moisturize the skin. Try to normalize it as much as possible. Using airbrush might be best because you wouldn't have to even touch the face.

Apr 27 13 08:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

TorchLakeBeauty

Mancelona, Michigan, US

Graftobian is the worst for dry skin. I carry a small trial sized Laura Mercier Face Polish in my kit now for private clients. It is hands down the best exfoliate I have ever used. Then moisturize with embryolisse. If the skin is super dry and I am unable to exfoliate, I use the embryolisse baume riche - it hydrates super mega dry flakey skin better than the lait does.

Apr 28 13 12:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jaime Criel Makeup

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Glycolic retexturizing pads (love Radical) as a way of chemical exfoliation then top with a facial oil (love Nuxe) then top with a moisturizer. If you have time, put on a moisture mask for 10-20 minutes. I love the one from Chanel.

Apr 29 13 12:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Plummer

Brooklyn, New York, US

Macs moisture infusion is a dream come true. I prefer to have hydrating foundations in my kit and to prime and set properly for oily skin. If the skin is dry any
Dry product will texture on it.

Apr 29 13 08:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sandra Valero

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

I agree on the Moisture Infusion, I have tried it on super dry flaky skin and it worked amazingly well!

May 01 13 04:22 am Link

Photographer

my_other_profile

Ankeny, Iowa, US

So...Graftobian just looks weird'cause my skin is dry and flaky?  I'd been trying to figure out why it was so well reviewed when it looks so, so awful on my skin.

May 03 13 07:37 pm Link

Model

- Aina -

Redlands, California, US

I too occasionally have flare ups of eczema, so that problem isn't entirely lost on me - especially when it's BAD. Thankfully, not on my face.

I drink even MORE water, avoid dairy (believe it or not, it works for me - but everyone is different), and see if I am stressing out and where I can mitigate it.
Aloe Vera gel helps - even in dry skin.
A facial primer also helps.

May 04 13 09:08 am Link

Makeup Artist

Inner Beauty Outer Self

Stratford, Ontario, Canada

I use the Aloette Restorative Enzyme peel smooths out the skin in seconds and as long as the client is not allergic to Aloe or citrus oils it's fabulous for eliminating flaky skin. Follow exfoliation with an alcohol free toner and a light moisturiser and it's a quick way to solve the flaky skin issue in my practice.

Jul 22 13 06:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Marija Milisavljevic

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I had a client for a wedding once with very dry skin. Bobbi Brown cosmetics does an extra range which contain super rich moisturizing ingredients.
Cleanse with face oil- its gentle, foaming and leaves the skin super soft.
  The key with really dry skin is to use products which are full of ingredients that help hydrate, and also repeat the moisturizing process. Sometimes it can take up to 5 layers of moisturizer, but you need to let every layer soak in first. Face oil and soothing balms are also a great option on top of moisturizer as they give a glow to the skin and you can apply makeup straight on top.
BB Foundation Balm is also a great product because it contains all the same ingredients as the extra moisturizing balm.

Jul 23 13 06:43 am Link

Makeup Artist

jessica nicholas

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Newbie question- Would Face Atelier be a good choice for dry skin?

Jul 25 13 10:35 am Link

Makeup Artist

Brandie Carlos

Los Angeles, California, US

SD Makeup Artisty wrote:
So the other day, I did makeup for my boyfriends cousin for her sweet sixteen.  I did a trial on her, and during that, I noticed that her skin was very dry, and so flaky that almost everything I was doing caused skin to flake off. (Sorry, that sounds super gross.) I told her to exfoliate the night before the day of so that the makeup went on a little bit better.  So day of, her skin looked pretty much the same even though she said she exfoliated.  I struggled a bit to make everything look smooth, and I eventually found that if I patted the foundation on with a sponge, it caused the least amount of micro exfoliation. Does anyone have any product recommendations or tecniques that could help me if I encounter this again?  It was almost a little bit awkward because her skin (although she was happy with the makeup) just didn't come out how I wanted it.

Thanks in advance. (:

I had some health issues recently causing my skin to be extremely dry like this and the only thing that helped was using hydrocortisone cream on my skin. I let it dry and then I mix my RCMA foundation with a hydrating serum or I use my OCC airbrush foundation those are the only two options I have at the moment. When it comes to clients I would patch test the hydrocortisone since it has an active ingredient.

Aug 13 13 03:02 am Link

Makeup Artist

SmashinBeauty

Zagreb, Grad Zagreb, Croatia

Carina Chatel wrote:
Hey ! You should try Embryolisse lait-crème concentré smile a must for me especially in winter !

I second this

Jan 26 14 11:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jackie McClay

Brick, New Jersey, US

i haven't had any clients with this issue yet... BUT i am pregnant and my out of control hormones have made my skin so so flaky and dry... i exfoliate and it still ends up flaky, i actually exfoliated too much that it irritated my skin so bad i couldn't even put moisturizer on with out my skin stinging!!!  there's no hope for my dry skin but i do work at folica.com and found this

http://www.folica.com/spa-and-body/skin … -6-packets

they are a bit expensive but you can use the promotion code MIDNIGHT to get 25% off

Jan 27 14 11:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

JdP

Calabasas, California, US

Love the Embryolisse suggestion. And using a gentle cream cleanser with the Clarisonic Mia brush works wonders. Also Phytomer Vegetal mask if you have an extra 10 minutes. It's a gentle enzyme that 'eats' dead skin. Works like a charm.

Jan 27 14 02:17 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Gilbert Cervantes

Riverside, California, US

When skin is super dry and flaky try using a face oil. There are so many on the market right now. Bobby Brown has a great face oil. Warm up a small amount oil into the palms of your hands and press it into the face. Let it set for about 5-10 mins. If you feel that the face has to much oil no worries. Just use a tissue and pat it over the oily areas. This helps a lot with mature skin or really dry skin. Hope that helps. If any one has another other questions how to use it just hit me up.

Good luck,
Gilbert

Jan 29 14 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Sarah C Lynch

Portland, Oregon, US

vaseline baby!  then put some concealer on a sponge and it should blend well

Clinique makes Moisture Surge Face Spray that helps too on makeup already done

Jan 29 14 05:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sophia Porter

Lemont, Illinois, US

Speaking from experience (I have severe psoriasis) I have a few things that can help! Product-wise I use Clinque Dramatically Different Moisturizing lotion +, Hourglass mineral veil on all dry/inflammed areas and then I either use a very moisturizing liquid foundation (Clinque superbalanced, MAC studio sculpt works for me alright, or thinned out RCMA cream with damp sponge) OR I airbrush if my skin is so bad that I cannot touch it.

The problem with ezcema/psoriasis/dermatitis is that the more you touch it, the worse it gets and then you are screwed at a certain point. Exfoliating on semi dry skin can help that, but if it is severe like this, the best thing to do is moisturize as much as humanly possible.

Sometimes, using vaseline over the areas as a mask can help. Leave it on for at least 10 minutes and it should retain whatever moisture is in the skin, obviously it does not clog pores due to the molecular structure being too large. Having some corticosteroid cream on hand can help (OTC hydrocortisone is the only thing you should use, higher prescription strength can thin skin severely) and can help bring down itching and redness, as well as the flakes.

I hope this helps you out for future dry skinned friends!

Mar 04 14 02:51 am Link

Model

lynne g

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Sophia Porter wrote:
Speaking from experience (I have severe psoriasis) I have a few things that can help! Product-wise I use Clinque Dramatically Different Moisturizing lotion +, Hourglass mineral veil on all dry/inflammed areas and then I either use a very moisturizing liquid foundation (Clinque superbalanced, MAC studio sculpt works for me alright, or thinned out RCMA cream with damp sponge) OR I airbrush if my skin is so bad that I cannot touch it.

The problem with ezcema/psoriasis/dermatitis is that the more you touch it, the worse it gets and then you are screwed at a certain point. Exfoliating on semi dry skin can help that, but if it is severe like this, the best thing to do is moisturize as much as humanly possible.

Sometimes, using vaseline over the areas as a mask can help. Leave it on for at least 10 minutes and it should retain whatever moisture is in the skin, obviously it does not clog pores due to the molecular structure being too large. Having some corticosteroid cream on hand can help (OTC hydrocortisone is the only thing you should use, higher prescription strength can thin skin severely) and can help bring down itching and redness, as well as the flakes.

I hope this helps you out for future dry skinned friends!

My fav scalp treatment for severe psoriasis is temovate scalp drops. Will clobex it should only be used 30 days on 30 off. It's perfect for straight Caucasian hair because the alcohol base doesn't get the hair greasy. Topical gels can be applied to treat drier hair and afraid an American hair with better effects. Of course tarsum is great for alleviating this scalp dryness too

Mar 04 14 06:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Kim Wood - MUA

Amarillo, Texas, US

I wonder if your client was on an Accutane acne prescription?  The flaking it causes is horrible!!!  A light exfoliation with a soft makeup wipe, Embryolisse, and a spritz of MAC fix+ onto a concealer brush to lightly press the unavoidable flakes back into the skin works for me, as well as a less is more approach to the foundation.

Apr 10 14 08:44 pm Link