Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > So Size 6 is Plus Size????

Model

Ararity

Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico

I saw a casting on Backstage about a large fashion casting for PLUS SIZE models.... starting from (gasp) "Size SIX".

Um.... You mean to tell me that I am PLUS SIZED???
According to my BMI, I'm not even OVERWEIGHT!

That would come in over 10 lbs from now... even then I may be less that a size 10.

So is size 6 really the new 'plus-size'? And are they trying to say that people that size are OVER ("plus") or even unhealthy??

Wtf???

Feb 04 13 05:53 pm Link

Model

Ararity

Does this look like a plus-sized model to YOU prancing along the beach? https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31021143 lol

Feb 04 13 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

some models run really lean. to the point where i stick their ribs back in with liquify.

my paying boudoir customers usually have some very nice curves. i guess by model standards they would be humongous.

Feb 04 13 05:56 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

It's NYC thing....here I've seen castings for plus size starting as small as a 6 (though an 8-10 start point seems more common).

For most other markets a 12-14 seems to generally be the start of plus.

I could give a damn if someone wants to book me as "plus"....the important part is that you book me big_smile

Also, you can't equate health (or lack thereof) sheerly on the size dress a person wears. That bit is just silliness.

Feb 04 13 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Pinup Fantasies

HIXSON, Tennessee, US

Fashion and real life are worlds apart. Most (non fashion photographers or designers) people would consider size 6 slim to average.

Feb 04 13 05:58 pm Link

Model

Ararity

Pinup Fantasies wrote:
Fashion and real life are worlds apart. Most (non fashion photographers or designers) people would consider size 6 slim to average.

I know! lol people tell me all the time to EAT somethin' girl! And I'm like, huh?? I'm not as skinny as u think. lol

You can't win. The gen public says GAIN 20 and the model world says LOSE 20!  fml!!

Feb 04 13 06:01 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Great now I can get work as a plus sized model.

Feb 04 13 06:01 pm Link

Model

Ararity

Paige Morgan wrote:
Also, you can't equate health (or lack thereof) sheerly on the size dress a person wears. That bit is just silliness.

Yes, I'm just wondering if that's what they are trying to make me believe subconciously... bc that's kinda how it's comin across.

Feb 04 13 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Yves Duchamp- Homme

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Ararity wrote:
I saw a casting on Backstage about a large fashion casting for PLUS SIZE models.... starting from (gasp) "Size SIX".

Um.... You mean to tell me that I am PLUS SIZED???
According to my BMI, I'm not even OVERWEIGHT!

That would come in over 10 lbs from now... even then I may be less that a size 10.

So is size 6 really the new 'plus-size'? And are they trying to say that people that size are OVER ("plus") or even unhealthy??

Wtf???

What casting was this?

Feb 04 13 06:03 pm Link

Model

Ararity

Shon D.- Homme wrote:

What casting was this?

i had copied it but then copied smtn else. If I didnt need to be up @ 6 I'd find it again! Some model casting. Put in "Plus Size 6" into the search engine of Backstage to find! then u can repost here if u like

Feb 04 13 06:05 pm Link

Model

Genie Cruz

BEECH ISLAND, South Carolina, US

i am a plus sized woman of about a size 14... size 6? really? put a size 6 side by side with me and ppl would probably start handing her big macs

maybe they are use to working with size 0 models and are the types that think if you eat anything then your a sloth. its ppl like that, that make eating disorders so wide spread.... scary

Feb 04 13 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Kerri Jean Photography

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Size 6 is not considered "plus-size" to actual agencies.

No matter what they say, real curves are in.

Marilyn Monroe's measurements:

Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
Weight: 118-140 pounds (Hollywood studios listed her between 115-120 lbs.)
Bust: 35-37 inches
Waist: 22-23 inches
Hips: 35-36 inches
Bra size: 36D

Feb 04 13 06:40 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Kerri Jean wrote:

Marilyn was equivalent of a modern day glamour model, where curvier bodies are the norm.

As far as real agencies not considering 6 plus...it isn't common in most of the country, but can happen. NYC starts their plus sizes at about an 8/10, and tends to book slightly smaller plus models than other major markets.

~pages Anna Adrielle to thread~

Feb 04 13 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

Ararity wrote:
Does this look like a plus-sized model to YOU prancing along the beach? https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31021143 lol

Hard to tell seeing that the model is a small spec in the center of the image but she looks pretty tall and curvy so I say yes.

Feb 04 13 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Yves Duchamp- Homme

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Kerri Jean wrote:

Paige Morgan wrote:
Marilyn was equivalent of a modern day glamour model, where curvier bodies are the norm.

As far as real agencies not considering 6 plus...it isn't common in most of the country, but can happen. NYC starts their plus sizes at about an 8/10, and tends to book slightly smaller plus models than other major markets.

~pages Anna Adrielle to thread~

Right, and Marilyn Monroe has zero relevance to agency models as she doesn't meet any of the qualifications.

Feb 04 13 08:26 pm Link

Model

Bella la Bell

Kansas City, Missouri, US

How did I know Marilyn Monroe was going to be brought up?

Feb 04 13 09:17 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

it is plussize in the sense that it is "non straightsize".

technically, plus size begins where straightsize ends, and yes, that would be a 6, since fashion is 0-2 and sometimes a small 4.

There are agencies out there who have a bunch of girls that are 6-8, they book a lot of commercial jobs where you can see the model is a bit bigger, without putting a sign next to it that says "hey, this is a plus model!". lots of commercial ads that show their face, bridal, underwear, and commercial work in magazines

hughesmodels is one of them...
http://www.hughesmodels.co.uk/10PLUSDIVISION_01.html
(UK sizes, in US sizes they're all size 6-8-10, and there other division is all 12-14-16)

lots of plus size models are not plus size women, and they are rarely overweight. it's not plus compared to regular woman, it's plus compared to fashion models.

I don't think this looks plus: (37-25-39, 5'11, size US 8-10 at Hughes)
https://www.hughesmodels.co.uk/Images/10PLUS/JessicaMunro/PlusModelJessicaMunro-M05.jpg

but when you compare it to this, it's obviously bigger (polaroid of model Line Brems)
https://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m88xah9gtz1qdr8lyo1_500.jpg

but yes, technically, plus size starts at a size 6, but these models will rarely do typical plus size jobs, they do the bigger end of straightsize jobs.

PS and also (and I don't mean this in a bad way so I hope you won't be offended by this), with 39 inch hips, an agency would put you down as an 8-10, not a 6. I have no doubt you war size 6 clothes though smile. But purely looking at measurements, you're more a 8-10

Feb 04 13 10:32 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Anna Adrielle wrote:

technically, plus size begins where straightsize ends, and yes, that would be a 6.

There are agencies out there who have a bunch of girls that are 6-8, they book a lot of commercial jobs where you can see the model is a bit bigger, without putting a sign next to it that says "hey, this is a plus model!". lots of commercial ads that show their face, bridal, underwear, and commercial work in magazines

hughmodels is one of them...
http://www.hughesmodels.co.uk/10PLUSDIVISION_01.html
(UK sizes, in US sizes they're all size 6-8-10, and there other division is all 12-14-16)

lots of plus size models are not plus size women, and they are rarely overweight.

but yes, technically, plus size starts at a size 6, but these models will rarely do typical plus size jobs, they do the bigger end of straightsize jobs.

The batsignal worked! Here she comes to save the day!  Made of awesome, you are smile

Feb 04 13 10:34 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

double post monster

Feb 04 13 10:34 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Paige Morgan wrote:

The batsignal worked! Here she comes to save the day!  Made of awesome, you are smile

hahaha, damn, I didn't realize until just now that whenever there's a thread about plus size, I'm there :p
just saw your page call, loved it :p

Feb 04 13 10:40 pm Link

Model

DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT

Čaġčarān, Ġawr, Afghanistan

An American size six is an Australian size ten and I'd definitely say that's larger than regular model standards, and isn't that all 'plus size' means? A larger size than what's usually used? I'm an Australian six which is an American size two and even then I'm not perfectly thin enough (never mind me being obviously too short).

Feb 04 13 10:53 pm Link

Model

Ararity

Anna Adrielle wrote:
PS and also (and I don't mean this in a bad way so I hope you won't be offended by this), with 39 inch hips, an agency would put you down as an 8-10, not a 6. I have no doubt you war size 6 clothes though smile. But purely looking at measurements, you're more a 8-10

An 8-10? Really? No not offended, just confused. I thought an 8-10 would put me around the 150s for weight... which then is slightly/overweight for my height. And just looking at me, my hips (or bum) doesn't look big at all! It's just wat the measurement says. In most stores 6 is fine for my thighs (though they may/may not not buckle)! Only in H&M (where sizes ALWAYS run small, do I wear an 8. I think it's kinda effed up the way they size things nowadays really, but whatev.

Feb 06 13 11:51 am Link

Model

Ararity

Aaron Lewis Photography wrote:

Hard to tell seeing that the model is a small spec in the center of the image but she looks pretty tall and curvy so I say yes.

LOL Guess you're more into the size 0s?

Feb 06 13 11:52 am Link

Model

Ararity

Anna Adrielle wrote:

technically, plus size begins where straightsize ends, and yes, that would be a 6, since fashion is 0-2 and sometimes a small 4.

I actually prefer my current size, whatever it is, to say, a 2-4, and it's cool that they look for models my size for commerical, bc that's what I really want to get into anyway! So, guess it works out.

Feb 06 13 11:54 am Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Ararity wrote:
An 8-10? Really? No not offended, just confused. I thought an 8-10 would put me around the 150s for weight... which then is slightly/overweight for my height. And just looking at me, my hips (or bum) doesn't look big at all! It's just wat the measurement says. In most stores 6 is fine for my thighs (though they may/may not not buckle)! Only in H&M (where sizes ALWAYS run small, do I wear an 8. I think it's kinda effed up the way they size things nowadays really, but whatev.

Dress sizes aren't determined by weight, but on measurements.

A 39" inch hip would most likely make you a size 8 on a dress form.

As far as mass market clothing, they are a poor way to determine your base size, since the cut of various brands differs, and many labels vanity size.

For random example, I am a size 8 based on measurements(which are pretty similar to yours).

Most of my street clothes are labeled as a 6. I have a few fancy ballgowns that are labeled as a 4.

I'd never list myself as a 4/6 on my comp card, because a stylist pulling true size 4/6 clothing most likely won't fit me. smile

Feb 06 13 11:58 am Link

Model

Ararity

Paige Morgan wrote:
Dress sizes aren't determined by weight, but on measurements.

A 39" inch hip would most likely make you a size 8 on a dress form.

As far as mass market clothing, they are a poor way to determine your base size, since the cut of various brands differs, and many labels vanity size.

For random example, I am a size 8 based on measurements(which are pretty similar to yours).

Most of my street clothes are labeled as a 6. I have a few fancy ballgowns that are labeled as a 4.

I'd never list myself as a 4/6 on my comp card, because a stylist pulling true size 4/6 clothing most likely won't fit me. smile

Ah ha! And a true 4/6 would be too small you're saying? Also, since we have sim meas, does it offend you hearing size 6 (or 8) is plus size? Just curious. Maybe I'm overreacting some?

Also, that's interesting that we could have sim meas and you weigh so much less than me! Didn't know this was possible! lol When I was 125lbs my hips were like 35"!... woulda been nice to have those curves! wink

Feb 06 13 12:45 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Ararity wrote:

don't try and see too much correlation between size and weight, sure there's a link between the 2 but 2 people can have the exact same weight and height and totally different bodies and carry a different size.
There's this thing called vanity sizing, I'm sure you're familiar with it... It's less pronounced in europe, but in certain (often US based) shops I can easily wear a size 12, although my measurements clearly don't put me at a 12 (I'm a solid 16).
H&M is a european brand, so that makes sense, I guess...

so sizing in stores is often not the same as the sizing agencies use (and they use the correct ones). You could check out models with your hip measurements, and see what size their agency puts them in, but I know from experience you'd be a size 8-10 for an agency.

and nothing wrong with that, you and your hips look great wink. An 8 is not "big" on a tall frame!

Feb 06 13 02:41 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Ararity wrote:

Ah ha! And a true 4/6 would be too small you're saying? Also, since we have sim meas, does it offend you hearing size 6 (or 8) is plus size? Just curious. Maybe I'm overreacting some?

Also, that's interesting that we could have sim meas and you weigh so much less than me! Didn't know this was possible! lol When I was 125lbs my hips were like 35"!... woulda been nice to have those curves! wink

I know the question wasn't directed towards me, but I'd like to pitch in :p

it doesn't "offend" me. To me (and being a plus model myself), the beauty of plus size modeling is the diversity in bodytypes and sizes. Not that all fashion models look exactly alike of course, but the measurements and sizes for fashion modeling are a LOT more rigid than for plus. I like it that I can see models in plus that are a 10, or a 16.

What I don't like is "false advertising" for lack of a better word. If you are a brand that starts at a size 16, don't use a size 12 model to model your clothes (asos curve does this, it's kind of annoying). Also, since I like the diversity so much, I'd like to keep seeing that, and I would not be happy if suddenly all the plus models out there would be 8's and 10's... Keep mixing it up smile.

and while I see nothing wrong with calling an 8 plus size in the "non-straightsize" agency meaning, I would get a bit annoyed if a size 6-8 model was featured in a magazine with headlines screaming "look! we used a plus size model!".

but no, not offended smile. A kickass models can transcend sizes anyway smile.

Feb 06 13 02:48 pm Link

Model

DarcieK

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Ararity wrote:

Lots of people don't believe it , but I'm currently a size 12. I haven't been lower than a size 10 since middle school. But, at 5'10, I can fluctuate 30 pounds and still be roughly the same size. My height, mixed with my big bust and long torso make my size bigger than what it seemingly should be.

Feb 06 13 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

yep

Feb 07 13 05:26 am Link

Model

Jane Smithly

Crowley, Texas, US

DarcieK wrote:

Lots of people don't believe it , but I'm currently a size 12. I haven't been lower than a size 10 since middle school. But, at 5'10, I can fluctuate 30 pounds and still be roughly the same size. My height, mixed with my big bust and long torso make my size bigger than what it seemingly should be.

This exactly. I have a freakishly long torso (I had two inches on my 6'3 ex when sitting) and am size 36-38DDD so sizing is tricky

Feb 07 13 05:42 am Link

Photographer

Michael Anthony

Glendale, California, US

i was recently asked to help a line in L.A. cast a "plus size" model for their line sheet and they asked for a dress size 6/8... when i asked them why so small, they said their samples came in a size 8 as they were more interested in showing the design versus the fit... but it could also have been that their vendor was charging more for samples in a 14 or 18...

maybe this casting was something along those lines?

Feb 07 13 08:57 am Link

Model

JWest

Asheville, North Carolina, US

DarcieK wrote:

I'm actually surprised...you don't look like a 12. You're lovely, not that a 12 shouldn't be.

Feb 07 13 09:35 am Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

Plus size models are much skinnier than unhealthy or overweight.
Obviously.

Feb 07 13 10:27 am Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Ararity wrote:

I always wished for slightly less hip so I could fit a proper 6 big_smile Grass is always greener smile

Way back when when I was 96lbs and had a 23-24" waist my hips were still 36-37" inches.

I've noticed that no matter the amount of weight I gain/lose...there is always a 12-13" differential between my waist and my hip.

I'm built a curvy pear shape no matter the number on the scale. big_smile

Here's a basic measurement chart. A size 4/6 might JUST  fit us at the bust/ waist, but will most likely not have enough room for the hip, at all:

http://www.babaaj.com/store/pc/catalog/ … -chart.jpg

Here's a nifty little infographic showing the huge gulf in sizing between mass market brands:

http://flowingdata.com/2011/04/28/women … mystified/

As far as being offended? Not at all!

Book me because you think I'm a pretty girl. Book me because you think I'd make a pretty boy. Book me as a larger straight size. Book me as a smaller plus size.

All I care about is that you book me, and spell my name right on the credits and/or paychecks big_smile

Feb 07 13 10:30 am Link

Photographer

netmodel

Austin, Texas, US

Fashion models are very skinny and taller than the average.

Models can come in all sizes but to be a "high fashion model" definitely require that you be tall and skinny.

Feb 07 13 11:11 am Link

Model

DarcieK

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Jojo West wrote:
I'm actually surprised...you don't look like a 12. You're lovely, not that a 12 shouldn't be.

I actually think a size 12 in Canada is the same as a 10 in the U.S. but I'm unsure.

But, thanks for the compliment.

Feb 07 13 11:12 am Link

Model

Babalon Salome

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Anna Adrielle wrote:
don't try and see too much correlation between size and weight, sure there's a link between the 2 but 2 people can have the exact same weight and height and totally different bodies and carry a different size.
There's this thing called vanity sizing, I'm sure you're familiar with it... It's less pronounced in europe, but in certain (often US based) shops I can easily wear a size 12, although my measurements clearly don't put me at a 12 (I'm a solid 16).
H&M is a european brand, so that makes sense, I guess...

This.

There is this model I know with the exact same waist, hips and underbust measurements and height as me. We have met at go sees and have worn the same clothes, which (except for the bust) fit both of us in exactly the same way. Just the fact that I am more muscular than her and that my shoulders and bust (she wears a large C cup) are a lot bigger than hers makes me a solid 30 lbs heavier.

Feb 07 13 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Los Angeles, California, US

Once one gets over the (erroneous) assumption that the distinction of “Plus” is some sort of insult it just becomes a designation.

If being labeled a plus model at a size six bothers you, there are plenty of other models who'll happily ask the people casting if they meet the required specs, if they pay on time and how much they'll pay. Don't defile your dignity by taking money from someone who calls you plus at size six. No, let someone else get paid so you can sleep contentedly at night while they have grocery and rent money.

Feb 07 13 01:51 pm Link

Retoucher

MMRetoucher

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

I always thought the point behind being plus size was being in the double digits. Before I got into all the modeling technical information I always thought size 12 and up was plus size. Now its a size 8!? To me it makes no sense but I don't make the rules.

Feb 07 13 06:59 pm Link