Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Fashion magazine skin texture

Photographer

Colin Ackerman

Alacant, Valencia, Spain

A model that I recently did a shoot with wants me to retouch a beauty shot of her so that it looks like the fashion magazine type of shot i.e no real skin texture just that horrible surface that looks like noise has been applied all over. Can anyone tell me how best to do that or point me in the direction of a tutorial. Thanks

Feb 11 13 03:56 am Link

Photographer

MichaelClements

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

You could try Frequency Separation. But seriously, there's nothing horrible about it. It's freaking awesome!!!

Feb 11 13 04:08 am Link

Photographer

Colin Ackerman

Alacant, Valencia, Spain

Surely somebody knows how to produce this type of awful skin texture?

Feb 11 13 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

Here a forum thread on this site that offers great insight into frequency separation.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=636374

Feb 11 13 12:22 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Feb 11 13 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

Feb 11 13 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Old trick with beauty shots on film;

Heavy make up on the model, esp lips and eyes.
Open the lens from normal exposure by 1-2 even more stops. This will bleach out the skin but hold the make up.

Feb 11 13 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Ash Photographic

Cirencester, England, United Kingdom

c_h_r_i_s wrote:

Open the lens from normal exposure by 1-2 even more stops. This will bleach out the skin but hold the make up.

If you're shooting B&W and the model is Caucasian, then an orange or red filter will even out skin tones enormously.

Ash.

Feb 11 13 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

ME_

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Colin Ackerman wrote:
A model that I recently did a shoot with wants me to retouch a beauty shot of her so that it looks like the fashion magazine type of shot i.e no real skin texture just that horrible surface that looks like noise has been applied all over. Can anyone tell me how best to do that or point me in the direction of a tutorial. Thanks

Could you post an example of what you consider horrible?

Feb 12 13 12:42 pm Link

Retoucher

Ken Fournelle

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

Natalia +1

Feb 12 13 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Tirado Photography

New York, New York, US

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:
What magazines do you buy?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wgXHhUvX7Qw/T … over+2.jpg

http://timhowardmanagement.files.wordpr … cover1.jpg

http://assets.thehollywoodgossip.com/ph … -cover.jpg

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww21 … ine-01.jpg

+1. Also not to give the OP a lesson in civility but it is generally not the best idea to ask for help from a group by insulting the style that many of the group employ. Just saying.

Feb 12 13 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Lars R Peterson

Seattle, Washington, US

If you want horrible texture, why not save yourself the Photoshop time, and just smack her with a cheese grater before the shoot?

Poop on the negative?

Print it at Bartells, and re-scan it on a $50 scanner?
Then, add noise.

Photograph dirt, and then photoshop her eyes and lips on it?

Get a talented MUA, and have them paint ME to look like the model, and then tell her it's HER with awful skin.

Hire a crappy tog to do the shoot for you.

Use a Nikon.

There are lots of ways to make a photo crap!!

Feb 12 13 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Paul Tirado Photography wrote:

+1. Also not to give the OP a lesson in civility but it is generally not the best idea to ask for help from a group by insulting the style that many of the group employ. Just saying.

True but I think the OP is talking about the band pass fake look that Natalia does not do.  My guess is the model want that fake even texture look that is not natural on a human face.

Anyhow a band pass to remove all but a specific size texture, then FS and the patch tool could get the OP close.  I also avoid this look so I am sure there is more too it

Feb 12 13 01:13 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

AJScalzitti wrote:

True but I think the OP is talking about the band pass fake look

But that doesnt get published in fashion magazines. Not good magazines at least smile

Feb 12 13 02:04 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

DP

Feb 12 13 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:

But that doesnt get published in fashion magazines. Not good magazines at least smile

big_smile I hope not, but I have seen a few ads like that.  Strikes me as false advertising.

Feb 12 13 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Sentimental-SINtimental

Longview, Washington, US

Use a cannon... and no i didn't spell it wrong  big_smile
But results are the same....  joke
Messing with Lars after Nikon joke

Feb 12 13 03:28 pm Link

Retoucher

Retouch007

East Newark, New Jersey, US

c_h_r_i_s wrote:

It's not what you think this look is done with lighting as OP stated then the retoucher might go a somewhat further.

Feb 12 13 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

D A N I E L

Caserta, Campania, Italy

AJScalzitti wrote:
big_smile I hope not, but I have seen a few ads like that.  Strikes me as false advertising.

That reminds me of the Estee Lauder ad...
https://colunistas.ig.com.br/houseofmodels/files/2012/07/37383910150459870731344-652x519.jpg

Feb 12 13 09:27 pm Link

Retoucher

Paul Snyder

Columbus, Ohio, US

Why would the OP agree to do something he's apparently so against. 

Why would he want to put is name on something that he thinks is quote, "horrible".  There's a time and a place to stand up for your artistic integrity.  This sounds like one of those times.

Feb 12 13 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Colin Ackerman

Alacant, Valencia, Spain

AJScalzitti wrote:

True but I think the OP is talking about the band pass fake look that Natalia does not do.  My guess is the model want that fake even texture look that is not natural on a human face.

Anyhow a band pass to remove all but a specific size texture, then FS and the patch tool could get the OP close.  I also avoid this look so I am sure there is more too it

You have described far better than I did the effect I was trying to produce. If you look at most adverts for beauty products in such magazines as Vogue you will see the effect the model wants

Feb 13 13 04:58 am Link

Retoucher

Paul Snyder

Columbus, Ohio, US

Colin Ackerman wrote:
You have described far better than I did the effect I was trying to produce. If you look at most adverts for beauty products in such magazines as Vogue you will see the effect the model wants

No. You don't see that effect in Vogue very often.

*edit* At all actually.

Feb 13 13 09:18 am Link

Photographer

D A N I E L

Caserta, Campania, Italy

Paul Snyder wrote:
No. You don't see that effect in Vogue very often.

*edit* At all actually.

Don't be so sure, the ad I posted below was run on Vogue.

Feb 13 13 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Other factors being paper printed on (some looks like Russian communist era toilet paper) and the run was each page scanned or was it a average general run.

Feb 13 13 12:54 pm Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain

Daniel Arguedas wrote:
That reminds me of the Estee Lauder ad...
https://colunistas.ig.com.br/houseofmodels/files/2012/07/37383910150459870731344-652x519.jpg

I am with Paul Snyder... you will never ever see that in Vogue!!! EVER!!!

Band pass definitely not in Vogue... Anna Wintour will never approve that!! :-)

Feb 13 13 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Colin Ackerman

Alacant, Valencia, Spain

I am looking at a Spanish Vogue magazine and most of the images have the effect I describe. I am beginning to wonder if it is just the grain of the printing that I am seeing? Whatever it is that is what the llama wants. Go figure!

Feb 13 13 03:08 pm Link

Retoucher

Retouch007

The Invisible Touch wrote:

I know Estee was not happy with those ads that were run (inside scoop).

Feb 13 13 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

D A N I E L

Caserta, Campania, Italy

The Invisible Touch wrote:

Before the edited your post you mentioned to prove it and of course I can't prove it, I don't have the editions anymore. That was in last year's spring/summer campaign.
http://models.com/work/estee-lauder-est … s-12/75655

Also from 2011, just because smile
http://models.com/work/estee-lauder-est … 2011/49597

I read they weren't happy with those ads, that's why I remembered it when read the thread.

Feb 13 13 04:37 pm Link

Retoucher

Retouch007

Actually I was thinking of another story that went through recently that didn't sit well with them but due to time constraints they ran the ad anyway. Needless to say you know what happened next.

Feb 13 13 06:27 pm Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain

Daniel Arguedas wrote:

Before the edited your post you mentioned to prove it and of course I can't prove it, I don't have the editions anymore. That was in last year's spring/summer campaign.
http://models.com/work/estee-lauder-est … s-12/75655

Also from 2011, just because smile
http://models.com/work/estee-lauder-est … 2011/49597

I read they weren't happy with those ads, that's why I remembered it when read the thread.

Magazines with the caliber of Vogue, think very carefully what they published and brands also... as the advertising/fashion industry is being hammer constantly by bad retouching

Feb 13 13 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

With good retouching, including extensive D&B, the skin tones are so even that at first glance it *almost* looks like blurring was used.

Feb 14 13 12:51 am Link

Photographer

Pelle Piano

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Colin Ackerman wrote:
I am looking at a Spanish Vogue magazine and most of the images have the effect I describe. I am beginning to wonder if it is just the grain of the printing that I am seeing? Whatever it is that is what the model wants. Go figure!

If you dont show what you see no one will know what you see.

Feb 14 13 01:40 am Link

Photographer

Colin Ackerman

Alacant, Valencia, Spain

R G wrote:

I know Estee was not happy with those ads that were run (inside scoop).

It is mainly on the Estee adverts that I notice it!!!

Feb 14 13 02:05 am Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

Hi Colin,

You were asking for a smooth look but with noise applied overall in the OP.

The smooth base layer is usually applied with a surface blur over a copy or snapshot of the image.  Many people adjust the radius for a look that begins to blend the colors smoothly together and then use 1/2 of that number for the threshold as a coarse rule of thumb.  Your numbers will vary and should be set till you like the softening look.  Apply a black mask to this smoothed layer and paint on the smoothing effect with a soft low opacity 15% white brush. Apply the softening to the face where you think it looks best and apply it to the intensity that you are looking for.  The noise part can be painted in too.  Some people use a 50% gray layer to start and then go to Filter> Noise> Add Noise> Choose amount > Gaussian> Monochrome and apply that generic noise to that layer...and then be sure to change the blending mode to soft light for that layer.  Then they add a black mask to that layer and paint on the noise with a soft low opacity 15% white brush to add the noise texture where they want it...and how strong they want it.

Some people also like to use Filter> Blur> Lens Blur> with a strong radius and then go to the bottom of the lens blur and add in their noise there.  It gives you a film grain kind of noise look over the blurring.  You apply this filter setting over a snapshot of your image and then place a black mask on that layer and use the white brush to apply the lens blur softening with noise.

Obviously this is an older generation of of look...but if you are delicate and judicious in the application... it does not have to look terribly awful the way some choose to over apply it. You have an attractive port and have good visual taste...so just use your own good judgement on what to apply and where to apply it and how much.  Its a judgement and taste decision.   Hope this helps some.  There are probably some other ways to do this same kind of thing in photoshop...there are usually several ways it seems.   I have some sheets of skin pore noise and skin textures that I have created to replace the general gaussian random noise patterns with more realistic skin pore looks.  You can PM me if you are interested.  Good luck. 

Ray

Feb 14 13 12:53 pm Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

pellepiano wrote:
If you dont show what you see no one will know what you see.

At last. Words . . . words . . . words . . . . . . . .

Feb 14 13 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Colin Ackerman

Alacant, Valencia, Spain

TMA Photo and Retouch wrote:
Hi Colin,

You were asking for a smooth look but with noise applied overall in the OP.

The smooth base layer is usually applied with a surface blur over a copy or snapshot of the image.  Many people adjust the radius for a look that begins to blend the colors smoothly together and then use 1/2 of that number for the threshold as a coarse rule of thumb.  Your numbers will vary and should be set till you like the softening look.  Apply a black mask to this smoothed layer and paint on the smoothing effect with a soft low opacity 15% white brush. Apply the softening to the face where you think it looks best and apply it to the intensity that you are looking for.  The noise part can be painted in too.  Some people use a 50% gray layer to start and then go to Filter> Noise> Add Noise> Choose amount > Gaussian> Monochrome and apply that generic noise to that layer...and then be sure to change the blending mode to soft light for that layer.  Then they add a black mask to that layer and paint on the noise with a soft low opacity 15% white brush to add the noise texture where they want it...and how strong they want it.

Some people also like to use Filter> Blur> Lens Blur> with a strong radius and then go to the bottom of the lens blur and add in their noise there.  It gives you a film grain kind of noise look over the blurring.  You apply this filter setting over a snapshot of your image and then place a black mask on that layer and use the white brush to apply the lens blur softening with noise.

Obviously this is an older generation of of look...but if you are delicate and judicious in the application... it does not have to look terribly awful the way some choose to over apply it. You have an attractive port and have good visual taste...so just use your own good judgement on what to apply and where to apply it and how much.  Its a judgement and taste decision.   Hope this helps some.  There are probably some other ways to do this same kind of thing in photoshop...there are usually several ways it seems.   I have some sheets of skin pore noise and skin textures that I have created to replace the general gaussian random noise patterns with more realistic skin pore looks.  You can PM me if you are interested.  Good luck. 

Ray

Hi Ray
That is exactly what the model wants. I didnt think my question was that difficult but obviously I didnt expalin myself very well! I will PM you! Thanks for the help, much appreciated

Feb 15 13 03:14 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Colin Ackerman wrote:
Hi Ray
That is exactly what the model wants. I didnt think my question was that difficult but obviously I didnt expalin myself very well! I will PM you! Thanks for the help, much appreciated

You could also add an emboss to that noise layer to give it a bit more depth I think (quick test appears to, but it's still not right)

Mar 09 13 07:04 pm Link