Forums > Photography Talk > What To Know About 5D Classic?

Photographer

Ryan South

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Hi Folks,
  I've recommended a 5D to a younger girl I'm mentoring in photography.  I've explained to the mother the potential problems of buying old gear and she's cool with it.  What should I/she be looking for?  Low shutter count or CPS CLAs?  What budget lenses are there besides the 50s? What's up with the cards on those/how does she get photos to a macbook?  I'm not looking for a new/used aps-c/"fx" debate. 
Thanks,
Eric

Feb 12 13 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

DraganSutic

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The 85 1.8 is one of the fastest focusing lenses in the canon line up and is also cheap, I believe she can just use a card reader to transfer to her macbook.

Feb 12 13 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Beyond Boudoir Photo

Portland, Oregon, US

You might want to make sure the 5D fits her hands and is not too heavy for her to handle.  If she is not comfortable with it, something in the Rebel family might be better.

Feb 12 13 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

ELiffmann wrote:
What should I/she be looking for?

--Falling reflex mirrors. Clips present on the sides mean it has been fixed. Canon will fix this for FREE.

--Loose or shaking flash connection.

ELiffmann wrote:
Low shutter count or CPS CLAs?

There is no known internet software to extract shutter count on the 5D MkI.
Only Canon service engineers with their gadgets can tell you. You can get it for FREE by requesting from them when you do a CLA.

ELiffmann wrote:
Hi Folks,
What budget lenses are there besides the 50s?

Canon EF 24-85mm :The poor man's 24-70 (sharp! and with USM)

Canon EF 28-135mm IS: The poor man's 24-105mm IS (both with IS and sharp!)

Canon EF 35mm f2: The forgotten prime.

ELiffmann wrote:
What's up with the cards on those/how does she get photos to a macbook?

5DMkI uses normal CF Cards. Expensive Ultra fast cards are useless as the 5DMkI itself is slow. (there were no videos back then)

Make sure to update to the latest software version: The older software only recognizes up to 4GB. Using 8, 16 or 32 GB cards is wastfull as it will only go up to 4GB.

ELiffmann wrote:
How does she get photos to a macbook?

Apple adapter receptacle CF card to USB slot: around $35.00

Feb 12 13 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan South

Raoul Isidro Images wrote:

ELiffmann wrote:
What should I/she be looking for?

--Falling reflex mirrors. Clips present on the sides mean it has been fixed. Canon will fix this for FREE.

--Loose or shaking flash connection.

ELiffmann wrote:
Low shutter count or CPS CLAs?

There is no known internet software to extract shutter count on the 5D MkI.
Only Canon service engineers with their gadgets can tell you. You can get it for FREE by requesting from them when you do a CLA.

ELiffmann wrote:
Hi Folks,
What budget lenses are there besides the 50s?

Canon EF 28-135mm IS: The poor man's 24-105mm IS (both with IS and sharp!)

Canon EF 35mm f2: The forgotten prime.

5DMkI uses normal CF Cards. Expensive Ultra fast cards are useless as the 5DMkI itself is slow. (there were no videos back then)

Make sure to update to the latest software version: The older software only recognizes up to 4GB. Using 8, 16 or 32 GB cards is wastfull as it will only go up to 4GB.

Great stuff.... Thanks

Feb 12 13 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan South

What type of older lenses are usable on Canon cameras with an adapter besides Nikon?  Thanks Again,
E

Feb 12 13 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Los Angeles, California, US

ELiffmann wrote:
What type of older lenses are usable on Canon cameras with an adapter besides Nikon?  Thanks Again,
E

Pentax, Leica screw mount, look on Ebay for EOS lens adapters

Feb 12 13 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

it uses CF cards

it eats dust. they will probably need to learn how to clean the sensor.

some bodies had a problem with the mirror falling off.

still takes great pictures.

Feb 12 13 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

WMcK

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

This lens was one of Canon's best kept secrets. It is a superb lens, but unfortunately I don't think it is produced now. I only sold mine because the 24-105 I got as my 5d "kit lens" had a slightly wider zoom range and IS.

Feb 13 13 07:14 am Link

Photographer

WMcK

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Maxximages wrote:

Not with a 5D. I think you may be thinking of the Canon Eos M mount. The Leica has far too short a flange distance, and the Pentax lenses can be adapted to Canon APS C cameras, but risk fouling and destroying the mirror on the 5 or any full frame..

Feb 13 13 07:31 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

i bought my 5D Mark 1 used from adorama.com

love it. it's still my main camera (paired with an 85mm)

https://archives.marklaubenheimer.com/image.php?image=/models/2013/02-11-2013_Britney_Geopfert/britneygweb11.jpg&quality=70&width=600

Feb 13 13 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Feb 13 13 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/1diddy3046fs.jpg
Yung Joc, Cassie, and Saun Combes (Rolling Stone), shot with the EOS 5D

As was mentioned before by Raoul, the mirror was incorrectly secured in the original EOS 5D. It was glued in and the glue had a habit of failing, particularly in places with high temperatures and high humidity (like Miami, where I am, and had the mirror fall out!). As Raoul also mentioned, Canon will replace the mirror for free even if it hasn't fallen out yet.

That said, it's a great camera, and perfect for someone who is learning the business. Also, I agree that the EF 85 f1.8 is a great match for the EOS 5D, as would the 70-200 f4L (non IS).

As far as CF cards are concerned, get a fast card. Sandisk 16gb (60mb's) are cheap, and big enough for holding a significant number of raw images (when your friend progresses to that level). The faster card won't help the camera (as was mentioned), but they certainly come into their own when you are downloading images to your computer (where the faster speed does matter!).

The EOS 5D, it was the first full frame camera that most of us could afford to own.

John
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 633
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
305 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Feb 13 13 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i still use mine at weddings for fisheye shots with the canon 15mm fisheye and it's my backup in case the MK II goes down.

John Fisher wrote:
Great camera, it was the first full frame camera that most of us could afford to own.

Feb 13 13 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

still my backup camera(have now Mk2)...most images on my profile and website are still shot on it, and i still produce prints up to 5x4 feet

Herman

Feb 13 13 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Maxximages wrote:

Olympus OM  series lenses include some hidden gems

Feb 13 13 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Let There Be Light

Los Angeles, California, US

Apple adapter receptacle CF card to USB slot: around $35.00

No adapter needed.  Depending on the MacBook model, any USB or FireWire CF card reader will work fine.

Feb 13 13 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Let There Be Light wrote:

No adapter needed.  Depending on the MacBook model, any USB or FireWire CF card reader will work fine.

Aayee! I was thinking of the iPad retina...

TH

Feb 13 13 09:10 pm Link