Forums > Model Colloquy > Models: What Are You Doing To Get Fit?

Photographer

Jim McSmith

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

As spring approaches and we move towards the summer I'm asking models, 'what are you doing to get fit for the summer?' It would be interesting to know what models are doing and who recognises the importance of good physical form for swimwear and nude style poses. Tell me about your workout and nutritional regime. I'm really seeking nice, fit looking models for the summer.

Feb 16 13 10:34 am Link

Model

Anna Von Leigh

Chico, California, US

I can't tell if this is a casting call on not...

If it is, wrong form.

But to answer your question, I hike. We have a beautiful park here and I love to hike up and down the mountain. As far as eating, I'm a vegetarian, eat almost all organic, lots of leafy greens, portion control is key, and I'm currently addicted to flax seed and chia seeds.

Feb 16 13 10:48 am Link

Clothing Designer

design goddess

Atlanta, Georgia, US

The model in my default is a vegetarian she also doesn't do eggs or milk. I think theirs a special name for her

Feb 16 13 10:57 am Link

Model

angel emily

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Jim McSmith wrote:
As spring approaches and we move towards the summer I'm asking models, 'what are you doing to get fit for the summer?' It would be interesting to know what models are doing and who recognises the importance of good physical form for swimwear and nude style poses. Tell me about your workout and nutritional regime. I'm really seeking nice, fit looking models for the summer.

Why is this just something to be done once it starts to get warmer and nicer out? 

To me, modeling is a year-round deal.  I don't take or get 'breaks' to get flabby then in shape once swimsuit season comes around.

That said, I keep myself busy year-round at the gym and I also enjoy Zumba (the real kind, not the "Maine kind"...) and yoga, I eat well (no sugar, candy, soda, chips or processed foods) and I'm preparing to do the Trek Across Maine for the third year (3 day, 180 mile charity bike ride in June)...

Feb 16 13 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Jim McSmith

By giving details of your health and fitness regime you're giving other models ideas they can work with to improve their overall look and enhance their prospects of modelling work.

Feb 16 13 11:08 am Link

Model

Saedcantas

Saint Saviour, Saint Saviour, United Kingdom

It's a year round thing, equally important to live a healthy lifestyle in any season...

Anyway, my answers are; Yoga, Salsa, Yoga, Cycling, Yoga big_smile

Feb 16 13 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Jim McSmith

Saedcantas wrote:
It's a year round thing, equally important to live a healthy lifestyle in any season...

Anyway, my answers are; Yoga, Salsa, Yoga, Cycling, Yoga big_smile

Do you mean salsa the food or the dance?

Feb 16 13 11:47 am Link

Model

Saedcantas

Saint Saviour, Saint Saviour, United Kingdom

Jim McSmith wrote:

Do you mean salsa the food or the dance?

The dance!

Feb 16 13 11:54 am Link

Model

Anna Von Leigh

Chico, California, US

design goddess wrote:
The model in my default is a vegetarian she also doesn't do eggs or milk. I think theirs a special name for her

Vegan, most likely.

Feb 16 13 11:54 am Link

Model

Koryn

This changes somewhat every 4-6 weeks:

Monday: legs and butt -- squats, deadlifts, leg extensions, hamstring curls, good mornings, 15 minutes mat work for core

Tuesday: back -- cable lat pulldowns, pull ups and chin ups, dumb-bell rows, hypertensions, one or two resistance exercises for rear deltoids

Wednesday: Chest -- push-ups with assorted hand positions, flat bench press, incline bench press, dumb-bell chest flyes, 15 minutes balance ball work for core

Thursdays: legs and butt -- plyometric and single-leg balance movements, squatting, HIIT sprints on a treadmill, followed by more squatting. Kills my butt muscles.

Friday: nothing

Saturday: arms, plus front and middle deltoids --- curls of different sorts, cable pull downs, bench dips, lateral and front raises, military press

Sunday: 15 minutes core, plus a few additional exercises for anything I didn't feel like I fully fatigued earlier in the week. It's my "catch-up" day.

I'm a high-raw vegan (about 80% of my daily food intake is raw vegetables, fruits and nuts). I wouldn't necessarily advise the average person to eat that way, because it requires a lot of attention paid to keeping a stocked kitchen, eating HUGE amounts of produce, and loving to cook. Most people lack the nutritional understanding and dedication to follow through with this lifestyle and be healthy. I have no problem with it, and enjoy it, but it requires a significant lifestyle shift, and a unique perspective on food and health.

Jim McSmith wrote:
...who recognises the importance of good physical form for swimwear and nude style poses.

I do not do this for modeling. I work in the fitness industry now, and it is my life, and my job. My body reflects my own "success" if that makes sense. When I was modeling full-time, I was nowhere near as "jacked" as I am now. I was on the road, commuting so much, I stayed in very good shape, but I didn't have the time to devote to living and breathing fitness, the way I do now.

Feb 16 13 12:07 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

Avoiding all cameras when I am in rest mode! LOL

Most important is What You eat.
I hike allot!
Stay active!

Feb 16 13 12:09 pm Link

Model

Koryn

I don't believe in "getting fit."

The only thing that matters is whether or not you are LIVING fit.

Every day, every month, all year long, every year.

Feb 16 13 12:11 pm Link

Model

E e v a

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Saedcantas wrote:

The dance!

*secretly jealous*

Op, currently on recovery from a shoulder surgery, so working out is limited. But i do military workouts. They are mandatory.

Feb 16 13 12:25 pm Link

Model

Audur Birna

Reykjavík, Höfuðborgarsvæðið, Iceland

I go to the gym 5-6 times a week (I know my underwear photo on MM does not show it, but it was taken 10 months after I had a baby) I take 3 days in lifting and 2 in burn.. Sunday is always free so my body can relax and I will get more out of my training.

when I take lifting days, I warm up 10 min, then follow a special program from my trainer in lifting, then 20 min burn and end with stretching

Burning days is just about sweating and running as hard and long as I can..

No PAIN no GAIN

Got a big fitness photoshoot coming up soon so I am eating a lot of protein, fish, meat, eggs... namm namm..

if you want 6-pack easily and quick, the way is Trimform, if you want your six-pack to last the way is eating right and exercise smile

Feb 16 13 04:29 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

London, England, United Kingdom

Drinking heavily.

Never in my life have I had a get fit for summer/modelling regime. My fitness regime/diet is consistent and not seasonal or faddy.

Feb 16 13 05:00 pm Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I am with those who say my fitness and nutrition/health is not just a for the summer thing, nor is it really for modeling, but getting into modeling did inspire me to take better care of myself. However I now do it just to take better care of myself.

I also have a little complication in that I get chronic migraines. I could go into that in itself, but I will skip over that and just say that it does affect my diet and what type of work outs I can do. I cannot do anything with weights, so I stick to bodyweight and cardio type stuff only. Right now I really like vinyasa yoga (where you are flowing through poses) and circuit training. I really like Fitness Blender for some of their circuit training (and similar) workouts. Right now I do a warm up, then one of their cardio workouts, then a cool down every other day, then on other days I do a vinyasa yoga (sun salutation based) warm up, then a circuit sequence via an app called Sworkit, then a leg or butt based short work out, then a cool down. I also do 5 minutes of sun salutation first thing when I wake up every week day morning. This may sound like very little to some people, but I am working on slowly building up and my frequent migraines keep me down at least a few days a month so I am very careful not to irritate them too much.

As far as food goes... I have been really focusing on portions and eating until I feel satisfied, but not totally full. I also try to eat as healthy as possible and I am cooking dinner at home more. I already eat breakfast and lunch at home most days. Once it warms up I will be juicing (fresh fruit and veggie juice for one or two meals a day). I cannot do it during colder months because it just makes me colder. I also do other little things. Like if I feel like snacking I have applesauce or mini carrots. I eat very little in the way of sweets. I keep water around me to drink pretty much at all times. I do not drink (alcohol) or smoke.

My goals are to be healthy and maybe to tone up a little bit, but overall I am happy with my body type and shape. I would like to tone up my arms and thighs a bit, but I like my little curves mostly ^_~

One important tip I would add is to start small. If you try changing everything all at once, you are less likely to stick with it than if you just make little changes at a time. Some people are okay just jumping in 100%, but most of us need to take things more slowly. ^_^

Feb 16 13 09:14 pm Link

Model

Misty R H

Anaheim, California, US

I consistantly work out.  I average 5 days a week. I do a variety of cardio and I also do weight training.

Everyonce in a while I work out with a personal trainer for a few months to keep adding things to my workouts.

The key is variety.  Do not do the same thing over and over as you lose efficiency due to muscle memory. Shake it up...do different things.

Feb 16 13 09:24 pm Link

Model

The Red Menace

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Hey, I know I'm not greatly fit, but I was a size 20 two years ago and the way I got to here ( size 10and not finished yet, I want to tone up and lot and drop a dress size) was about 80% diet, 20% exercise.

I eat no refined sugar, at all, never anymore- I do have honey and more natural sweeteners however.. Lots of vegetables and fruit, nuts and good oils, barely any rice, pasta or bread. I cook almost all my food from scratch and try to get organic and a fair amount of raw in there (you need the enzymes in living food as well as vitamins and minerals).  Started all of this quite slowly and built up to the very healthy diet I have now.

Exercise, I walk a bit and dance when I can... but if I tell the truth I get most of my exercise.. um, in private. To not be coy- if you have athletic sex 5-15 times a week, between 20-50 mins per each it's a decent workout (both cardio and resistance training) and lots of fun, and I find an appetite suppressant personally.

Having said that, am finding it isn't enough, so have to work more exercise into my routine and lifestyle... or get a second partner wink

Feb 20 13 06:04 am Link

Model

fitBela

Kraków, Małopolskie, Poland

I workout constantly. Every day. No breaks. This includes high intensity interval workouts, yoga, Pilates, weight training.
Jogging every 2nd day.
No meat, only healthy food, like grits, brown rice, full grain pasta, lentil, soy, veggies, fruits, sometimes some dark chocolate wink
Hard work pays off smile

Feb 20 13 07:16 am Link

Model

Nicole Barnett

Springfield, Missouri, US

Going gluten free and committing to working out a few hours a week is definitely getting me swimsuit ready. A good spray tan always works wonders, too!

Feb 20 13 07:26 am Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

Well this year I have had so much fieldwork it has kept me fit. So haven't had time for so much swimming and pliates etc that I did when I was office bound.

I have spent about two months in the field in Greenland digging snow pits and science trenches, loading and unloading USAF Hercules planes, and hiking up volcanoes in Iceland. With a good healthy diet of musk ox reindeer and various other red meats, fish, seal blubber, danish lager and chocolate, and cigarettes. Nothing much healthy there then ha ha. I have plenty of fruit juice in cocktails! When home I do cycle 10 miles a day to Uni and back along the seafront in strong winds which isn't easy. I am pretty well toned as a result. I usually only dance once a month at the local goth club but that can be on the floor for a good few hours and that generally makes me feel good next day so dance can be a good workout too.

So I maintain my stats I had when starting modelling wihout much effort.

I think part of the problem with modern life is so many people drive everywhere and sit at a desk. So they don't have the excercise that people used to at work before computers. So therefore they need a regime to stop weight gain with a diet and/or excercise to burn up the calories and keep their muscles toned.

Feb 20 13 08:08 am Link

Model

- Aina -

Redlands, California, US

I watch people on tv work out. It rubs off on me.

Feb 20 13 08:21 am Link

Model

Kaley King

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

I recently went back to a gym...

When I go there I do a 2 mile run on the treadmill...then do some arm exercises...then hit the eliptical to burn 200 calories...then do abs.  Then I hit the weight room....then bicycle for awhile.  I do this for like 3-5 days a week.

I do zumba, and pilates probably 2-3 times a week for about 30-50 minutes.  And I work in as much cardio throughout the week as I can.

I diet....eat a lot of protein, red meat.  Avoid fast food as much as possible.  Low calories...soups are good, big cans of soup sometimes contains only 100 calories and is enough for a whole meal for me.

Feb 20 13 09:10 am Link

Model

Goodbye4

Los Angeles, California, US

I eat pretty clean and workout regularly (hot yoga, pilates, dance, and zumba).

Feb 20 13 10:37 am Link

Model

DarcieK

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

I'm doing the South Beach diet right now. Just started Phase 2. I am down 15 pounds.

I also do the gym 3-4 times a week.

Monday: 30-45 minutes cardio, arms and abs work outs.
Tuesday: No gym
Wednesday: 30-45 minutes cardio, legs and abs
Thursday: If I go, it's either 1 hour cardio or a Zumba class
Friday: 30-45 cardio, back and abs
Saturday: Same as Thursday
Sunday: No gym.

Basically I cut out complex carbs and sugar for three weeks and am gradually bringing them back. It seems to be working.

Feb 20 13 12:02 pm Link

Model

Noneeeeeeeeeee

Quakertown, Pennsylvania, US

I just finished the 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels. Was intense. I loved it and it's results! Going to do Ripped in 30 soon! Trying to get rid of my baby weight. ahh

Feb 20 13 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

DFR Photography

Tucson, Arizona, US

Do not be a strict vegan, ignore what the Federal Government recommends and get moving! For guidance, talk to old folks about their diets when they were younger, watch the various food shows on the travel channel and use common sense. It really is that simple! If that's not enough, check out Tom Venuto.

Feb 21 13 11:53 am Link

Model

Koryn

DFR Photography  wrote:
Do not be a strict vegan, ignore what the Federal Government recommends and get moving! For guidance, talk to old folks about their diets when they were younger, watch the various food shows on the travel channel and use common sense. It really is that simple! If that's not enough, check out Tom Venuto.

I'm a vegan. I have what most people would consider impressive muscles, considering I'm five feet tall and smallish in bone structure. It makes no difference. I can squat twice my own bodyweight, multiple reps. I have a deadlift heavier than a lot of large guys I train at the gym where I work. Whether or not one eats animal foods had nothing to do with it. It's getting
calories overall, timing one's food intake and being conscious of the amino acid composition of the foods you are eating.

Feb 21 13 01:20 pm Link

Model

Beth Chambers

I go the the gym 3 times per week now, and do a mixture of cardio and muscle workouts. I still eat whatever I want though! smile

Feb 21 13 02:13 pm Link

Model

Dani-Mae

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

I hula hoop.  I make and sell my own hula hoops for fitness and I always have a few laying around the house.  When the kids are napping I'll hula hoop in my living room while I watch tv.  big_smile

Feb 21 13 09:22 pm Link

Model

James Pickering

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Koryn Locke wrote:
I'm a vegan. I have what most people would consider impressive muscles, considering I'm five feet tall and smallish in bone structure. It makes no difference. I can squat twice my own bodyweight, multiple reps. I have a deadlift heavier than a lot of large guys I train at the gym where I work. Whether or not one eats animal foods had nothing to do with it. It's getting
calories overall, timing one's food intake and being conscious of the amino acid composition of the foods you are eating.

Everything you have said is true and you are right and I agree with everything you've said, however, being able to squat twice your weight when your 5ft is not something you should use to back your arguments as it's so much easier to squat when you're short compared to when you're taller, that's just physics and mechanics.

Just to reiterate though your workout and food regime is flawless though! Would recommend it to anyone who is going vegan!

Feb 22 13 10:00 am Link

Model

Calypso Moon

Banning, California, US

I eat a generally very healthy diet.  Fruit and vegetables from my garden/orchard are a big staple, and lots of protein.  That said, I don't focus too much on calories -- and I do eat chocolate and have soft drinks (not every day, but occasionally).

As far as exercise is concerned, I switch it up a lot.  I have an active lifestyle, but I don't spend much time in the gym.  I like to hike, swim, run around the neighborhood, and do push-ups, squats, and sit-ups, as well as exercise videos (ballet, pilates) or activities on my Wii Fit.  I don't schedule it out too much, because I feel like fitness should be fun.  I also have four dogs that keep me busy -- you never run faster than when you're chasing your muddy dog through the house, trying to keep them from getting on the white carpet!

Then again, I'm still young and have a high metabolism, so I'm sure that rights a lot of wrongs!

Feb 23 13 11:22 pm Link

Model

Courtney L Cameron

Los Angeles, California, US

Pilates, kickboxing, and surfing... Of course smile

Feb 24 13 09:32 am Link

Model

Vi Synster

Jesup, Georgia, US

The model should be at whatever weight they feel most comfortable at. BMI is a VERY unreliable system to check weight, since it fails to take into account bones (how heavy they are, how some people have wider ribs than others, etc...) and muscle mass. Eating right should be a year round thing and getting the appropriate amount of exercise.

For myself, I really don't have too many options between reading textbooks for colleges, going to class, doing homework and projects, having social time with boyfriend and friends, and caring for my african dwarf frogs (they don't require much work but I do keep a closer eye on them now since one of them died sad ).

On campus, I generally try to go to the indoor heated pool at least once a week. I'll swim around in my home-made mermaid tail. Whenever I'm home, I try to horse back ride and go ice skating at an indoor arena. In the winter, I travel up north to go snowboarding in upstate New York. I love to do dance dance revolution and Just Dance when I'm playing Wii at a friend's dorm or place.

I'm a very lazy person by nature, so I dislike exercise =/

Feb 27 13 11:46 am Link

Model

Elizabeta Rosandic

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

I maintain a very strict diet of beer, cheeseburgers, pizza, fries, and waffles.

And I'm a competitive kickboxer. It's in my blood. smile

Feb 28 13 05:20 am Link

Model

Crystal Rose Modeling

Sacramento, California, US

Koryn Locke wrote:
I don't believe in "getting fit."

The only thing that matters is whether or not you are LIVING fit.

Every day, every month, all year long, every year.

+100! Not getting fit, staying fit! Being active is important, but what you eat is what makes weight fluctuate the most.

Feb 28 13 11:28 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I do a lot of walking and squats. I have a shoulder that might need surgery(currently waiting on a second opinion) so upper body workouts are out. Physical therapy was a bust once they moved me from 5 excercises to 11.

I avoid trans fats and am trying to eat more fruits and veggies. I am a big carbohydrate lover.

Feb 28 13 11:36 am Link

Model

Sakura Star

I work long hours, drink rosè and then inhale a kebab.

Happy days :-p

Feb 28 13 12:40 pm Link

Model

Lillian Faith

Savannah, Georgia, US

Am I one of the few models who actually eats meat and enjoys a hamburger? Lol. I walk around my college campus a lot just to get around. That's enough exercise for me! smile

Feb 28 13 01:15 pm Link

Model

TaylorHaze

Dallas, Texas, US

I actually do something called polefitness. It's about balance and body strength. You do things such as inverting and climbing. It takes alot of practice and patience and it is an art form. Most people think pole equals some dirty stripper. No, there's other things you can do with it besides taking your clothes off. In between those I take booty cardio classes and starting flexibility and contortion classes.
I am an addict to fast food. I don't find being super skinny to be beautiful, nor being overweight. Curves and a healthy look is the key!

Feb 28 13 01:18 pm Link