Forums > General Industry > Child modeling agencies

Model

Thee Jazzie Love

Brentwood, California, US

I know this site isn't for child models. However, I was hoping someone out there can at least point me in the right direction. I have a 8 month old son, I was thinking about trying to get him into modeling to help with his college fund. We live in the Bay Area, Cali. How/where do I get started? Even just a website with info would be great. I tried looking it up but it's hard to tell what's legit.
Thanks

Mar 15 13 11:45 pm Link

Model

DaniNikole

Sacramento, California, US

http://www.crkidstalent.com

I came across this and I don't know much about them but am in a similar boat as you. I nanny for a young girl and the mother wants to know how to get her into llamaing/ commercials/ etc

Mar 15 13 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Just to warn you, 99% of child/baby agents/agencies out there are scam.

Mar 16 13 12:06 am Link

Model

DaniNikole

Sacramento, California, US

Chuckarelei wrote:
Just to warn you, 99% of child/baby agents/agencies out there are scam.

That's what everything has looked like ^

Mar 16 13 12:08 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Thee Jazzie Love wrote:
I know this site isn't for child models. However, I was hoping someone out there can at least point me in the right direction. I have a 8 month old son, I was thinking about trying to get him into modeling to help with his college fund. We live in the Bay Area, Cali. How/where do I get started? Even just a website with info would be great. I tried looking it up but it's hard to tell what's legit.
Thanks

Mar 16 13 01:34 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell Tearsheets

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
Now I could be wrong.  Maybe there is a legit agency that I don't know about?

Maybe don't give so much advice in areas that you haven't experienced.

To the OP, there is good and bad with child modeling. I've worked with child models on magazine, catalog and advertising shoots for a number of years and seen child models grow into adults. I regularly tell parents that I only work with the top agencies and they should as well. Minor agencies and portfolio mills only slow you down.

This SF agency has submission information on their website:
http://www.jemodel.com/submissions.php

Mar 16 13 06:08 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Dan Howell Tearsheets wrote:
portfolio mills

I'm stealing this term.  It's sheer genius-ry.

Mar 16 13 10:14 am Link

Model

Thee Jazzie Love

Thanks for the input everyone! smile

Mar 24 13 04:16 pm Link

Model

Thee Jazzie Love

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Congratulations on being the mom of an 8 month old baby boy! 

As to your thread about "trying to get him into modeling to help with his college fund." Relax!  He is just a baby!  Don't you think that you're thinking a bit far ahead?  I see that you are working two jobs, so this might have something to do with you stressing over money.  Keep your essentials covered, like food, shelter, etc .... then try spending every minute of extra time you have with your son.  They grow up so fast that you'll miss out on a lot of what is happening right now with him if you are so focused on his future. 

I'm not meaning to discourage you from encouraging him to try things that he may find as fun activities that can also lead to scholarships and good careers.  He might not like modeling and rather play football?  You never know until that time comes. 

Sure, take pictures of him now!  Cameras are so available that you should be able to get some good quality images yourself of him.  Most photographers I know will charge to photograph babies and kids ... including me.  I have heard of many websites, scouting businesses, and so on, but the vast majority are out there making money off of eager parents.  That is the truth as I see it.   

If you had twins, and were in Hollywood, you "might" stand a better chance of finding a legit child agency working with the film, and television industry.  Due to the labor regulations, children that young will be very limited in the hours they can work. 

Now I could be wrong.  Maybe there is a legit agency that I don't know about?  Perhaps some parents will disagree with me and try to say that kids don't really grow up that fast?   I would say holding your son close, giving him the time and love he needs as he develops is more important than planning for his college right now.  If you are that concerned about money for his future education, just start a small savings account.  Put a little in each paycheck, don't ever withdraw from it then forget about it!   I say this with paternal affection because I know you're a new mom ... Let him grow up .. let him be a kid!    Best wishes to you!

Thanks! I only thought about doing it because he loooooves his photo taken! Obsessed with it really lol. I figured he could enjoy it smile of course I wont ever make him do it if he doesn't want to when he's older though.

Mar 24 13 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

RSM-images

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Wilhelmina (Kids Division) and Generations (San Francisco

Mar 24 13 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell Tearsheets

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

Mar 24 13 06:32 pm Link