Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Would they really be that crazy?

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 13106

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Would the government go that crazy to ban a certain type of cooking utensil?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/483560_470346159714287_982039843_n.jpg

Apr 19 13 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Posts: 33859

Los Angeles, California, US

That's just 10% of America trying to mock the other 90%

Apr 19 13 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

TRPn Pics

Posts: 10431

Andrews, North Carolina, US

By George, I think you're on to something.

In Curly speak, "That's the ticket"

Apr 19 13 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

Posts: 22698

San Diego, California, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
Would the government go that crazy to ban a certain type of cooking utensil?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/483560_470346159714287_982039843_n.jpg

Are you that gullible?

And after 10,000+ posts don't you know what you should post in Soapbox and what you should post in Off-Topic?

Apr 19 13 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Tropic Light

Posts: 7322

Kailua, Hawaii, US

Anyone with a welding rig and some steel stock can make a bomb casing.

Apr 19 13 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 13106

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Instinct Images wrote:

Are you that gullible?

And after 10,000+ posts don't you know what you should post in Soapbox and what you should post in Off-Topic?

Your sarcasm filter is wronkled

Apr 20 13 06:29 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Posts: 6052

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

http://www.lucianne.com/images/lucianne/DailyPhoto/2013-04-20-JGKVM.jpg

Apr 20 13 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

Posts: 22698

San Diego, California, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:

Your sarcasm filter is wronkled

Your comprehension of SB posting rules is wronkled.

Apr 20 13 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 13106

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Oh come on sense of humour people

Apr 20 13 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Cultured Pearls Photo

Posts: 1928

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Good Question....
based on previous actions I do NOT think it is out of the question...
http://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwarz/9 … ities-6zgv

http://www.indecisionforever.com/blog/2 … ed-in-2012

We like to do things that make it look like we are doing "something"....instead of doing something...

Apr 20 13 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

sublime LightWorks

Posts: 6065

Atlanta, Georgia, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
That's just 10% of America trying to mock the other 90%

Which percentage are you in???  Remember, we have your posting record to use to verify.

Apr 21 13 02:40 am Link

Photographer

Longwatcher

Posts: 3662

Newport News, Virginia, US

Knowing the current makeup of congress, it would probably be far easier to ban  all pressure cookers and require unique serial numbers on all nails so the purchaser can be identified from the sales record then it would be to actually get firearm background checks passed.

Apr 21 13 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Cultured Pearls Photo

Posts: 1928

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Longwatcher wrote:
Knowing the current makeup of congress, it would probably be far easier to ban  all pressure cookers and require unique serial numbers on all nails so the purchaser can be identified from the sales record then it would be to actually get firearm background checks passed.

Maybe if ONE of the proposals even attempted to address HIIPA regs and the limiting effect it has on a backgrounds, you might be able to sell it better.?

Apr 21 13 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Posts: 6052

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Williams-Sonoma Pulls Pressure Cookers Off Shelves in Massachusetts
http://dedham.patch.com/articles/willia … s-4f18ea7b

(read the comments)


Williams-Sonoma Pulls Pressure Cookers Off Shelves 'Out of Respect'
http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwyn-wi … ut-respect

Apr 24 13 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Posts: 18362

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

heehee

Apr 24 13 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Posts: 33859

Los Angeles, California, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
That's just 10% of America trying to mock the other 90%

Over 90 percent of Americans support gun background checks: poll
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/ … LW20130207

I'm in the 90% if anyone is wondering. Not that anyone asked.

Apr 24 13 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

255 West

Posts: 6468

New York, New York, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
Would the government go that crazy to ban a certain type of cooking utensil?

No, not crazy, just fucked up.

This is an (albeit clever) dumb-ass remark by the pro-gun lobby to ridicule the gun control crowd.

The common counter to the call to gun control is "Cars kill more people than guns, do you want us to ban cars TOO?"

(By the way, the "ban cars" argument is a basic logical fallacy -- The Apples and Oranges Fallacy (aka False Analogy Fallacy) ... but they persist in making the same lame comparison even though it gets refuted every god damned time they make it!

Apr 24 13 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Posts: 33859

Los Angeles, California, US

255 West wrote:
The common counter to the call to gun control is "Cars kill more people than guns, do you want us to ban cars TOO?"

Then you just say, "Guns kill fewer people than cars, but we license and register cars."

They won't be so quick to try that line again.

smile

Apr 24 13 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

255 West

Posts: 6468

New York, New York, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
Then you just say, "Guns kill fewer people than cars, but we license and register cars."

They won't be so quick to try that line again.

smile

They usually give a zombie-like blank stare, and repeat the "but cars kill more people that guns, ...."
They don't actually think up this nonsense themselves, they're generally not all that smart. (Note the grammar (or spelling) error in the last line. roll

Apr 24 13 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

ArtisticPhotography

Posts: 7699

Buffalo, New York, US

Someone said, "You can have my Grandmother's pressure cooker when you pry it out of her cold, dead hands".

Apr 25 13 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Posts: 6052

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
Then you just say, "Guns kill fewer people than cars, but we license and register cars."

They won't be so quick to try that line again.

smile

Cars don't have a specific overriding constitutional protection.

wording, history and Supreme Court interpretations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Am … nstitution

Apr 25 13 10:46 am Link

Model

JessieLeigh

Posts: 2049

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:

Then you just say, "Guns kill fewer people than cars, but we license and register cars."

And they respond with "And look how well licensing and registering them works, they STILL kill more people than guns do. It seems licensing and registering cars does not help prevent death by car as much as some people would like to pretend... so why do they think doing the same with guns will be any different?"

smile

Apr 25 13 10:50 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Posts: 33859

Los Angeles, California, US

JessieLeigh wrote:
And they respond with "And look how well licensing and registering them works, they STILL kill more people than guns do. It seems licensing and registering cars does not help prevent death by car as much as some people would like to pretend... so why do they think doing the same with guns will be any different?"

smile

And yet Obama hasn't swooped in and confiscated everyone's cars.

/sillyconservativeargument

Apr 25 13 11:17 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Posts: 33859

Los Angeles, California, US

Michael Bots wrote:

Cars don't have a specific overriding constitutional protection.

Do pressure cookers?

Apr 25 13 11:21 am Link

guide forum

Photographer

Robb Mann

Posts: 10803

Baltimore, Maryland, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:

And yet Obama hasn't swooped in and confiscated everyone's cars.

/sillyconservativeargument

Remember 'cash for clunkers'?

Apr 25 13 12:34 pm Link

guide forum

Photographer

Robb Mann

Posts: 10803

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Tropic Light wrote:
Anyone with a welding rig and some steel stock can make a bomb casing.

Good point. We should totally ban welders.

Apr 25 13 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Posts: 11434

Austin, Texas, US

Moderator Note!
Moving to OT

Apr 25 13 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Posts: 54151

Buena Park, California, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
Would the government go that crazy to ban a certain type of cooking utensil?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/483560_470346159714287_982039843_n.jpg

A child's right to live is greater than your right to have nails and pressure cookers.

Apr 25 13 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Brackin Photoworks

Posts: 220

Austin, Texas, US

And ..oh my goodness! You bought TWO boxes of nails. What on earth would you possibly do with so many nails? And they are the long kind that can go through TWO pieces of wood! And that pressure cooker; why my GOD, you could possibly cook two chickens at once ..and yet, you can't possibly eat that in one sitting.

What could the crooks have cooked up for us? I dunno. But I smell rats in the kitchen.

Apr 25 13 09:49 pm Link