Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Avaunt gaurde vs. natural images in your portfolio

Makeup Artist

Kasey Lestrange MUA

Costa Mesa, California, US

I recently updated my portfolio with tons of new photos but most of the work is avaunt gaurde and dramatic makeup. Eventually I will update my modelmayhem so I can have all my photos up, but in the mean time do you guys think I should cut down on the dramatic images and post more natural looking makeup that I've done?

Does anyone on here feel that the more natural looking makeup photos land you more paid work? That's what I was taught but I'd love to hear everyone's experience smile

Apr 22 13 03:15 pm Link

Artist/Painter

sdgillis

Portland, Oregon, US

Probably best to go to critique so people can sort out with you what Avant Garde is.

Apr 22 13 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I would agree if you want feedback on the recent work.  As for what images you post, really what kind of work are you wanting to attract.

Apr 22 13 03:30 pm Link

Model

Kasey Lestrange

Ok thanks. I will do that smile

I'm new to the forums so I appreciate the advice

Apr 22 13 03:33 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

As mentioned - this isn't the proper forums for Critique.

That being said - do you know what market you want to be in? Prospective Clients want to see a portfolio that convinces them you can do what they need.

So, show mostly what people hire you for.

Don't give a Client a REASON to pass you buy - your portfolio is your resume.

Wild makeup had best be a spot-on concept and execution otherwise it can come across as play-day or newbie.

Other points you'll see in a Search of MUA Portfolio here on MM:
1) Review the portfolios of established artists in your area that ARE getting work. See what there showing and understand WHY.
2) A portfolio is only as strong as it's weakest image. 4 strong images will be a better presentation than 14 "meh".

EDIT
3) Develop a Critical Eye. Were all artists - but we have to be able to take the step back and be OBJECTIVE. Clients don't care WHY an application isn't what you'd do different next time.

Apr 22 13 03:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

TheMakeupMan

Los Angeles, California, US

Avoiding a critic of your work Id say .........

Depends who you want to work with and on what kind of jobs you want

you r in ca ,,, costa mesa ,,,,,,,,, correct me if im wrong but there isnt a whole lot of calls for " avant guarde " makeup in orange county ........ or even los angeles for that matter

think about where you want to work and who you want to work for and you will have your anwser
hope that helps

and just another thought or tip when it comes to doing " Avant Guarde " work and this isnt inteneded for just you but anyone who wants to pursue that line of work

The people that get hired repeatedly to do those kinds of jobs have a definite style and brand ..... I.E.   you can almost always look at Roshars work and without even knowing who actually did it , you know its Roshar
same could be said of artists like Pat Magrath , Kabuki , Alex Box , Val Garland ect.ect. 

Id say until you have a brand thats recognisbly your work and style , Id avoid flooding my book with "Avant Guarde " work and stick to more commercial works and do your avant guarde works for your soul and artistic release

its very hard to make a living on avant guarde works until your a recognisable brand that people will seek out for your style and aestedic , and even then its a harder road to travel than commercial works which actually pays

Apr 22 13 04:17 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Kasey Lestrange MUA

I really wasn't looking for critique. I was just explaining my reasoning for asking the question
Is there any way to delete forums you've posted?

Apr 22 13 04:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

TheMakeupMan

Los Angeles, California, US

i added some information to my post which  might be helpful

I think you would have to contact a moderator to get your post deleted

Apr 22 13 04:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Kasey Lestrange MUA

TheMakeupMan wrote:
i added some information to my post which  might be helpful

I think you would have to contact a moderator to get your post deleted

Thank you I appreciate the advice

Apr 22 13 04:34 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

Kasey Lestrange MUA wrote:
I really wasn't looking for critique. I was just explaining my reasoning for asking the question
Is there any way to delete forums you've posted?

The post IS informative - especially since you've clarified you're NOT looking for image critiques.

If you still want the thread deleted - then use CAM (Contact a Moderator) with your request - be sure to include a link to the thread you want deleted.

Apr 22 13 05:08 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

It's great to want to show off your strong and powerful work.  However less is more.  I find I book way more work because I know how to do natural, and beauty makeup.  I also have images of men in my book.  I hear over and over, "wow, you can do makeup on guys"  Or "love that the llama looks clean and natural." That has gotten me more work then anything I could get from advant garde.  you want your work to marry with the total look of the story being told.  Depending on the number of images, start your book with a strong clean look.  Build to a more advant garde image or two then finish with a beauty shot.  The opening and closing images are always the most important.  By the way, your work is gorgeous but when an art director or potential clients see it they will think you don't do anything else. (I know you have new images not posted yet)  I hope this helps? R-

Apr 22 13 05:17 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Kasey Lestrange MUA

rick lesser wrote:
It's great to want to show off your strong and powerful work.  However less is more.  I find I book way more work because I know how to do natural, and beauty makeup.  I also have images of men in my book.  I hear over and over, "wow, you can do makeup on guys"  Or "love that the model looks clean and natural." That has gotten me more work then anything I could get from advant garde.  you want your work to marry with the total look of the story being told.  Depending on the number of images, start your book with a strong clean look.  Build to a more advant garde image or two then finish with a beauty shot.  The opening and closing images are always the most important.  By the way, your work is gorgeous but when an art director or potential clients see it they will think you don't do anything else. (I know you have new images not posted yet)  I hope this helps? R-

It does! And thanks for the compliment

I actually had tons of images of natural and clean makeup as well as makeup on men but when my page downgraded back to basic I lost all those photo slots. I was just pumped on this last "apocalyptic" shoot I worked on so I uploaded a ton. I am going to go back and reselect some images to show for now till I can put up more than 15
But I do definitely understand the less is more factor

Apr 22 13 05:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jackie McClay

Brick, New Jersey, US

I happen to love your work, I think its very eye catching.... I get bored easily when i see pages and pages of the same old natural look or what have you... i think its good to mix it up though so people can see what you can do. so throw in some regular glam looks, maybe like an Era thing; makeup from different times. ya know?  Just show em what ya got! you're talented so give them everything you are made of. I'm sure that your "regular everyday" looks must be gorgeous. It would be nice to see some in your port, good luck!

Apr 23 13 02:17 pm Link