Forums > Model Colloquy > What a scam... seriously?

Model

Rose Winters

Los Angeles, California, US

I was recently emailing back and forth with a modeling/acting agency located here in Oregon about possible representation. Things seemed fine initially until the woman I was talking to started saying that they are interested in representing me, but I would need to do a photoshoot with them in order to get the ideal photos they need to promote me on their website, use in my portfolio, etc. Things also seemed fishy when she stressed the fact that they're a professional agency that has been in business for over 15 years, and they're located in Medford to make it even worse... here is their website:
http://www.imdmodeling.com

So anyway, she told me that the photoshoot would cost $525 plus fees afterwards for setting up my comp cards and portfolio with them. Obviously, this set off an immediate red flag given you should never have to "pay to play" to get into this industry. So, I asked if I could get the photos they wanted by doing TFP shoots and getting permission from the photographers for the agency to use the photos. However, she pretty much blew this off and said that the photographers wouldn't be "agency approved." Here is the most recent email she sent me:

"This is a business and becoming a model or actor isn’t free.  Nothing in life is free or everyone would be doing it.  They call them “starving artists” for a reason, because an acting coach costs money, photoshoots cost money, a portfolio costs money, you have to pay rent, and for your own travel expenses. If you have been told to never pay then I encourage you to find a legitimate agency that is free.  I have spent a lot of my time explaining this to you and don’t seem to understanding what I am saying so going forward I will have to talk to an adult.  I have heard people talk about these free agencies and I hate to burst your bubble but there are none.  If you don’t pay upfront then you are getting an advance, which you are required to pay back.  We do not give scholarships away just because someone doesn’t have the money.  Most families don’t just have the money lying around.  They work for it and save up.  Look up superstars stories.  IMTA has launched careers for Katie Holmes, Aston Kutcher, Eva Longoria, Jessica Biel just to name a few and IMTA is about $8000.  Britney Spears family almost went bankrupt getting her started.  So someone telling me they don’t have to pay is ridiculous.  I have spent more of my valuable time explaining this to you than I even have time for.  If you want to follow your dreams then stop wasting time with excuses.  I wish you good luck in your search for a free ride."

So polite and professional, right? But the point is, I feel that this is ridiculous. By all means correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that having to pay to "get into the industry" is an absolute scam. And I know for a fact that legitimate agencies NEVER charge upfront fees, and they certainly don't require their models to pay for photoshoots with them either. I've heard IMTA is another huge scam that simply drains the hopefuls of their money as well.

Do you agree? I will definitely be turning down this "agency." This seems like the classic scam without a doubt.

May 22 13 09:11 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

It's a crap offer from a portfolio mill. You are wise to pass on that "Opportunity"

May 22 13 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Oscar Partida

Palm Springs, California, US

She definitely has no class.and it sounds like a modeling school..some are scams some do help people people I agree nothing is free in this world but the way those places you mentioned. Omar and john Casablanca make business is a joke

Models do pay for test shoots..they get percentage fee deductions of their paychecks..as far as i know ,and to be signed with a top agency you need to look Top

May 22 13 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Good for you! It isn't exactly a scam but it is unethical and well lot's of businesses these days behave badly.  You gotta love all the name dropping and chasing your dreams part at the end. What a low life this lady is. She was poring on the bull crap nice and heavy.  This is what these companies do, they take advantage of young kids. Just like the banks and all their credit card offers to 18yr olds with no job. Capitalism at it's best!....

May 22 13 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Edge of the Moon

New York, New York, US

They're trying to belittle you so that you give them your business.  I don't think it's worth it.

May 22 13 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Matthew Gwinn

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

Wow, if you're going to try to scam people at least make your web site look legit. That site is garbage.

May 22 13 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

May 22 13 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

John Edward

Dallas, Texas, US

Speaking as an old fart:

With your looks:

Learn to do your own makeup, buy some outfits, do some TFP with the best guys who offer, and do some self promotion, but don't spend a dime, unless it's on the items on the list above.

You have the face, the figure, and It would seems, the smarts to get past this BS.

PS. Don't cut your hair either, or get any Tats.

May 22 13 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Pawlak

New York, New York, US

Medford Oregon is a city of 75,000 with no large city any where near it.

May 22 13 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

The "not having to pay" thing is a misconception.  You should be expected to pay, just not that much, and you should have a choice of where to spend your money, too.

May 22 13 11:07 pm Link

Model

Anna T

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

this is horseshit.

I would have emailed her back saying how her horrible attitude and tone isnt in the least going to get her girls to sign up. and if shes so mad about her job  (clearly, shes taking it out on potentials) go tell her to work at McDonalds, at least they have a legit website.

May 24 13 09:35 am Link

Photographer

David M Russell

New York, New York, US

Ugh. That is just so painful to read.

Actual agencies send their new faces out to shoot tests (free!) all the time.

You can probably find somebody decent in your area to test with so you can begin to build a portfolio so you can begin to talk to actual agencies.

If you're not getting the results you'd like or aren't getting them quickly enough, pay a very good photographer -- not some "agency approved" hack that they insist you use, but someone who's work you see and love -- to make some kick ass images for you.

It is a business. You will end up spending some money -- photography, comp cards, a VIP membership on MM, whatever -- but these "program/agency" things are just creepy and exploitive.

May 24 13 09:53 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

"I have spent a lot of my time explaining this to you and don’t seem to understanding what I am saying so going forward I will have to talk to an adult."

You're right. The next adult you should be speaking with has the title of Attorney General of Oregon...

As others have said, this isn't an Agency, it's a standard, very common, Portfolio Mill. The only money they're making is off of naive aspiring models. Unless there's some booming fashion industry in Medford that I'm not aware. And from the looks of the website it appears they're not making enough to even hire a proper website designer. Excellent images pulled from CK ads they're using though.

You were wise to see through it, and wise not to continue the communications.

May 24 13 09:54 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

I have come to the conclusion that none of the posters above, and a vast majority of [in particular] models on this site, even know the actual legitimate purpose of an "agent" -OR- the legal relationship between "agents" and their principals [mostly models; but occasionally some other kinds of agency represented creatives]

Why is it that you all seem to think that an "agent" should waste even one minute of their time or invest even a single dollar of their money in YOUR dream, ESPECIALLY if you are new, untried, and utterly without any kind of track record in the industry?

Studio36

May 24 13 10:43 am Link

Photographer

EdwardKristopher

Tempe, Arizona, US

Could we please speak to an Adult going forward?  Please???  :-)

Keep smiling and shoot for your dreams!

Kindest regards,
Edward

May 24 13 10:53 am Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

studio36uk wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that none of the posters above, and a vast majority of [in particular] models on this site, even know the actual legitimate purpose of an "agent" -OR- the legal relationship between "agents" and their principals [mostly models; but occasionally some other kinds of agency represented creatives]

Why is it that you all seem to think that an "agent" should waste even one minute of their time or invest even a single dollar of their money in YOUR dream, ESPECIALLY if you are new, untried, and utterly without any kind of track record in the industry?

Studio36

Do you honestly think the situation described in the OP ISN'T a portfolio mill?

Did you look at the website?

Perhaps you are aware of a booming fashion/commercial/acting industry in Medford, OR that we all missed here in the US. big_smile

May 24 13 11:05 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Paige Morgan wrote:
Do you honestly think the situation described in the OP ISN'T a portfolio mill?

That is a completely different matter from the one that I addressed. Almost everything I do professionally is in the capacity of an agent [not a model agent] and I NEVER pay, out of pocket, for anything on behalf of a client... they pay me for my time or they send me money, in advance, to pay third parties for whatever service they require me to carry out.

Studio36

May 24 13 11:24 am Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

studio36uk wrote:

That is a completely different matter from the one that I addressed.

Studio36

You included most, if not all of the posters in the thread.

Many of us advised her she was wise to pass on a portfolio mill.

So let's address that.

Do you honestly think this ISN'T a portfolio mill?

May 24 13 11:27 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Paige Morgan wrote:
You included most, if not all of the posters in the thread.

Many of us advised her she was wise to pass on a portfolio mill.

So let's address that.

Do you honestly think this ISN'T a portfolio mill?

It may not be anything of the sort, or it might be. That is neither here nor there. It is the assertion the OP made [and everyone else parroted] that models should never pay, or have to pay, for any of the things that were being requested.

Rather than look at the agency website, there really is no need to even do it, I looked at the OP's pictures here, and I can honestly say that there is only one single image, if that, that I would expect to see in an agency portfolio. So if they are requiring more and different style photographs to do their job representing her than that is absolutely not unreasonable; and if they have particular photographers they can send her to and from them confidently get the photos that they will need for the purpose, that, as well, is not at all unreasonable. If she, on the other hand, indicated that she would pay a photographer [one of theirs or not] for some new images done to a professional standard and consistent with the agency's requirements, that is entirely different from telling them she will just do TF* for some new pictures which are likely going to be no better, or suitable for the agency's purposes, than what she already has. But that's what she said that she told them.

No matter who or what or where the agency is, there is a world of difference between the real world truth that a model must be ready to invest real money in their career, and the contrary, and total fantasy, belief that a model should never have to pay for anything to obtain representation.

Other than from a well documented history, nothing of the sort which is in evidence here, there is little way in advance to tell if a particular agent / agency is worth the effort and expense until one is already represented by them, and either gets work for a model or doesn't. Even an agency that doesn't produce work, or much of it in some particular market, is not necessarily a scam.

The belief, widely reflected on the Internet sites like this one, that if an agent / agency wants you to pay for anything at all it's always and automatically a scam is totally false.

Studio36

May 24 13 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Photographe

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

I didn't even read the agent's gigantic paragraph, it just showed me immediately, she is in the business of communications, PR and selling, but she blasted you with a paragraph like that?

May 24 13 12:14 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

studio36uk wrote:
It may not be anything of the sort, or it might be. That is neither here nor there. It is the assertion the OP made [and everyone else parroted] that models should never pay, or have to pay, for any of the things that were being requested.

Rather than look at the agency website, there really is no need to even do it, I looked at the OP's pictures here, and I can honestly say that there is only one single image, if that, that I would expect to see in an agency portfolio. So if they are requiring more and different style photographs to do their job representing her than that is absolutely not unreasonable; and if they have particular photographers they can send her to and from them confidently get the photos that they will need for the purpose, that, as well, is not at all unreasonable. If she, on the other hand, indicated that she would pay a photographer [one of theirs or not] for some new images done to a professional standard and consistent with the agency's requirements, that is entirely different from telling them she will just do TF* for some new pictures which are likely going to be no better, or suitable for the agency's purposes, than what she already has. But that's what she said that she told them.

No matter who or what or where the agency is, there is a world of difference between the real world truth that a model must be ready to invest real money in their career, and the contrary, and total fantasy, belief that a model should never have to pay for anything to obtain representation.

There is little way in advance to tell if a particular agent / agency is worth the effort and expense until one is already represented by them, and either gets work or doesn't. Even an agency that doesn't produce work, or much of it in some particular market, is not necessarily a scam.

The belief, widely reflected on the Internet sites like this one, that if they want you to pay for anything at all it's always and automatically a scam is totally false.

Studio36

I see you are avoiding the question I asked entirely(or any of us that simply advised she was wise to pass on what is most likely a portfolio mill), to serve the broad sweeping statement of "most if not all", and an opportunity to chide those unaware of the fact that agency talent has to assume expenses, without bothering to be remotely helpful and point those circumstances out.

However, the fact remains that there are ways to tell between a legit agency and a school/portfolio mill/scam BEFORE you spend your time/money in the wrong place.

An agency that isn't producing work/bookings for an extreme majority of their talent, especially in a market with few clients, is making money off of other things to keep their doors open.

Usually that involves selling portfolios to everyone that walks in the door in the promise of jobs that won't come, for clients the agency doesn't have in any volume.

The OP's reasoning for turning these guys down might not be correct, but she still dodged a bullet (from the available information) and didn't waste her time and money on an agency that wouldn't benefit her in the least.

May 24 13 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Wynne Turner wrote:
. . . . . .. I've heard IMTA is another huge scam that simply drains the hopefuls of their money as well.

Do you agree? I will definitely be turning down this "agency." This seems like the classic scam without a doubt.

You might want to send them a copy of this: http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/modeling/imta.html

May 24 13 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Model Mentor Studio

Saint Catharines-Niagara, Ontario, Canada

Wynne.....there are scam agencies like that in every town in North America. They live from the fees they charge you not from the commissions they make by getting you work.
Portfolio mill and whoever corresponded with you is a douche.

May 24 13 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Matthew Gwinn wrote:
Wow, if you're going to try to scam people at least make your web site look legit. That site is garbage.

It may be garbage to you but having looked closely "under the hood" it is a clean, cleanly coded, and professionally designed site built for them by a company in Colorado, Mad Lab Media.

Studio36

May 24 13 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Paige Morgan wrote:
The OP's reasoning for turning these guys down might not be correct, but she still dodged a bullet (from the available information) and didn't waste her time and money on an agency that wouldn't benefit her in the least.

Oh, really??? WHAT available information? Is there a record of the business having been prosecuted? Have the owners been in prison? Have they ever declared bankruptcy? Has the business been changing their name on a more or less regular basis? Is there a BBB record of complaints?

In fact as far as the BBB is concerned they are A+ rated and have had zero complaints in the last three years [as far back as the public record goes]

BBB Accreditation

A BBB Accredited Business since 08/01/1998

BBB has determined that I M D Image & Modeling Development meets BBB accreditation standards, which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints. BBB Accredited Businesses pay a fee for accreditation review/monitoring and for support of BBB services to the public.

BBB accreditation does not mean that the business' products or services have been evaluated or endorsed by BBB, or that BBB has made a determination as to the business' product quality or competency in performing services.
Reason for Rating

BBB rating is based on 16 factors. Get the details about the factors considered. L I N K

Factors that raised I M D Image & Modeling Development's rating include:

Length of time business has been operating.
    No complaints filed with BBB.
    BBB has sufficient background information on this business.

Customer Complaints Summary
0 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 0 closed in last 12 months
Complaint Type                          Total Closed Complaints
Advertising / Sales Issues                     0
Billing / Collection Issues                      0
Problems with Product / Service           0
Delivery Issues                                    0
Guarantee / Warranty Issues               0
Total Closed Complaints                       0

Not exactly the profile of a scamster!!!!

No, none of the above. The problem is that the OP was being asked to pay ["GASP!!!"] for something that she would have to pay for no matter what agency represents her.

Studio36

May 24 13 04:49 pm Link

Model

DLatrice

Fort Wayne, Indiana, US

studio36uk wrote:
It may be garbage to you but having looked closely "under the hood" it is a clean, cleanly coded, and professionally designed site built for them by a company in Colorado, Mad Lab Media.

Studio36

Sounds like this person works for one of these companies...

May 24 13 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

studio36uk wrote:
In fact as far as the BBB is concerned they are A+ rated and have had zero complaints in the last three years [as far back as the public record goes]
Studio36

Are you serious, my friend? Where have you been? BBB itself is a scam! Don't you know the methods on how they sell membership?

May 24 13 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

DLatrice wrote:

Oh my..... lol
I can about 99.999999% assure you he does not. I think you're missing his points.

May 24 13 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Cherrystone wrote:

DLatrice wrote:

Oh my..... lol
I can about 99.999999% assure you he does not. I think you're missing his points.

Nope. Never even heard of them before this thread. The only thing we have in common is that we are both located in the northern hemisphere.

Studio36

May 24 13 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Wynne Turner wrote:

As if I were your dad or something, I'm so proud of you, Wynne!  You've been learning a whole lot from since your early days of posting on these forums.  You're intuition is right on this one!  That 'woman" sounded like a bully trying to belittle you into believing that she knows the "business!"  It's a typical school/portfolio mill running in the guise of being an "agency" ... which is a gray area at best.  Good for you!  smile

May 24 13 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

For $50, I'll tell you why this is a scam.

May 24 13 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Rick OBanion Photo wrote:
Wynne.....there are scam agencies like that in every town in North America. They live from the fees they charge you not from the commissions they make by getting you work.
Portfolio mill and whoever corresponded with you is a douche.

There are so many of them.  But then there are so many "want to be models" too.   Getting educated is so very important.   We all have to learn ... and the best way to do so is to be aware.

May 24 13 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Looknsee Photography wrote:
For $50, I'll tell you why this is a scam.

Oh hey!  You're in Oregon too!  wink

May 24 13 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

OP, the person who wrote you is correct.   In general the kind of images models need to show real world clients aren't done TF.   Real world agencies will provide you with the names of photographers they suggest.   Most will charge.   I have no ideal if this agency is a portfolio mill and those who have suggested or said it is don't either but that email is very heavy handed.   I don't know anything about the agency but their images look first rate.   My guess is there isn't a lot of work in Oregon at least fashion so they offer classes, etc.   Here is a person on FB you might ask:   https://www.facebook.com/pages/Skyler-H … 3611721742

They seem to have a decent client list.   I didn't see any negative remarks about them.   Again the kind of photos most model need for commercial or fashion aren't going to be free.   Should you invest with them is the question.

May 24 13 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

studio36uk wrote:

Studio36

The coding is produced by Word Press.  So the clean professional design is something any of us can buy.   The copyright date is behind a year, and just because they have no record on the BBB files means very little.  I think IMDmodeling is crap, and they can sue me for saying so if they want to!

May 24 13 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

DG at studio47

East Ridge, Tennessee, US

brief internet search turned up one positive review from 2007 and it looked like a "plant". It was written in identical language to their website. Below is a BBB comment about the company and guidelines at the bottom regarding cautions in using a company for portfolio development. check it out. Best wishes OP.

http://www.bbb.org/ottawa/business-revi … -on-42286#

May 24 13 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

DG at studio47

East Ridge, Tennessee, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
OP, the person who wrote you is correct.   In general the kind of images models need to show real world clients aren't done TF.   Real world agencies will provide you with the names of photographers they suggest.   Most will charge.   I have no ideal if this agency is a portfolio mill and those who have suggested or said it is don't either but that email is very heavy handed.   I don't know anything about the agency but their images look first rate.   My guess is there isn't a lot of work in Oregon at least fashion so they offer classes, etc.   Here is a person on FB you might ask:   https://www.facebook.com/pages/Skyler-H … 3611721742

They seem to have a decent client list.   I didn't see any negative remarks about them.   Again the kind of photos most model need for commercial or fashion aren't going to be free.   Should you invest with them is the question.

portions of that FB account are written in third person. its kinda of strange if you read long enough.

May 24 13 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Tony Lawrence wrote:

Here in California, the laws are different.  I do not know about Oregon or Illinois, but unless you are a combination school/agency, you are not supposed to charge for such services.  I've sent potential models to Elite and Fords LA ... and they've never needed to put out money upfront.  The amount that this IMB is asking for seems excessive to me.  I've shot cards for models back in the 1990's for a local talent agency for which I was on their recommended photographers list ... but they could not require models to use an in house photographer.  If you are a licensed school/agency combination ... then you can require that the models use your in house photographer.  As a music talent manager, I have worked with talent agencies also ... and it would also be a conflict of interest fro me to do both.   Again, I don't know the laws of Oregon regarding this.

We've had problems in the past with "Pay to play" for bands in California having to dish out money to perform in clubs, and also the "Pay to audition" scam has been struck down too!  I suppose many of us would be happy to pay to shoot, correct?

May 24 13 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

Matthew Gwinn

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

studio36uk wrote:

Studio36

Did you miss the "powered by Wordpress" It's basically a glorified blog site with a template. I'd be surprised if they paid more than a few hundred bucks for it.

Crappy web site aside, I did find this article that talks about them
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dl … sitesearch

On the other side, I found this article. Doesn't mention them specifically, but google seemed to think it was relevant when I searched for IMD modeling
http://www.modelingadvice.com/Scams.html

May 24 13 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

DG at studio47 wrote:

portions of that FB account are written in third person. its kinda of strange if you read long enough.

I agree and it could be fake.   The BBB comments about agencies I don't agree with in general.   Most agencies aren't paying for nothing.   They tend too be pretty cheap.   The email that was sent too the OP was over the top.   Even if they are legit I'd avoid them.   After looking some more they offer classes, etc.   It has too be hard in small markets.   In general I suspect any 'agency' that goes to IMTA.   That doesn't make them a scam but may make them a waste of money.

May 24 13 06:32 pm Link