Forums > Model Colloquy > What a scam... seriously?

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
Here in California, the laws are different.  I do not know about Oregon or Illinois, but unless you are a combination school/agency, you are not supposed to charge for such services.  I've sent potential models to Elite and Fords LA ... and they've never needed to put out money upfront.  The amount that this IMB is asking for seems excessive to me.  I've shot cards for models back in the 1990's for a local talent agency for which I was on their recommended photographers list ... but they could not require models to use an in house photographer.  If you are a licensed school/agency combination ... then you can require that the models use your in house photographer.  As a music talent manager, I have worked with talent agencies also ... and it would also be a conflict of interest fro me to do both.   Again, I don't know the laws of Oregon regarding this.

We've had problems in the past with "Pay to play" for bands in California having to dish out money to perform in clubs, and also the "Pay to audition" scam has been struck down too!  I suppose many of us would be happy to pay to shoot, correct?

Hi, Pat.   In general models are given suggestions for people to test with.   Sometimes its free.   Mostly not.   Models won't usually find what they need on sites like MM or omp.   Make-up, hair and images cost and the agency isn't usually paying.   In some cases they may but not that often.  Fashion and commercial images cost.   This ideal that agencies pay if they like you is wrong.   Large agencies like Factor or FORD get hundreds of models every month and paying for their shoots would be very expensive.   $500.00 is around the cost of a test with make-up and hair.   Models are expected too cover their own expenses.   Their are no FREE rides.

May 24 13 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Hi, Pat.   In general models are given suggestions for people to test with.   Sometimes its free.   Mostly not.   Models won't usually find what they need on sites like MM or omp.   Make-up, hair and images cost and the agency isn't usually paying.   In some cases they may but not that often.  Fashion and commercial images cost.   This ideal that agencies pay if they like you is wrong.   Large agencies like Factor or FORD get hundreds of models every month and paying for their shoots would be very expensive.   $500.00 is around the cost of a test with make-up and hair.   Models are expected too cover their own expenses.   Their are no FREE rides.

Tony, I do very much agree with your statement " Should you invest with them is the question." on your previous comment.  A good agency typically will have a list of recommended photographers.  The model will then have the choice as to which photographer they wish to work with.   That's the way it should work for a reason ... as it's a conflict if an agency gets a kick back from the photographer, or even more so if the agency has their own in house photographer.  At least that is what I've been told in California.   

I used to be somewhat of a "watchdog" for the Labor Board that licensed talent agencies.  Those at the Labor board would tell me that they appreciate it because they had a heavy case load.  However I know that it's only gotten worse as budget cuts have all but gutted the Labor Board.  It's hard to get a real person on the phone, and "agencies" continue to cross the line as to what is legal or ethical ... many without getting caught.  So the need to being very careful about who you sign with or if "upfront money is wanted is an understatement! 

It seems that you think the agency/offer Wynne got is legit, and I don't think it is ... but that's just fine to disagree on.   We both agree that she should invest in her modeling images and in herself.  It's her decision to make.  She already is signed with someone for some sort of management, I believe.  In my opinion, she could do well to freelance.  Then what do I know?   I'm admittedly one who does not hire models through an agency.  Very few agencies I know of are legit, and the ones that are ... well I know better what I'm looking for than any of them do!  wink

May 24 13 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

ms-photo

Portland, Oregon, US

It says they are a scam right on their own website:

http://www.imdmodeling.com/about/

"IMD is the most distinguished agency in Oregon."

No, it's not, at all.  Try Q6, Ryan Artists, Sports Unlimited... agencies that get models REAL paying work.

May 24 13 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

I wouldn't waste another minute of your effort or time on this agency/person.

May 24 13 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

I like the way that they couldn't even be arsed to have a picture of an 'actor' on their 'Become an Actor' page. smile

Minimum amount of effort has gone in to this site.

May 25 13 12:12 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

There is a reason they offer "classes" and career development elements in their operation. It has to do with Oregon state law. I'll leave it to all of you to find that reason if you care to.

Studio36

One very very cold winter's day a little bird was freezing;
The little bird fell out of his tree and onto the ground nearly dead;
A cow wandered along and let go a big pile of cow crap onto that little bird;
The bird discovered that the warmth of the cow's poop was really nice and comfortable, and the bird started to recover;
The little bird was so happy that it started to sing;
A fox heard the birdsong, dug that little bird out of the pile and ate it;

The moral of the story?

Someone who gets you into the shit is not necessarily your enemy;
-AND-
Someone who gets you out of it is not necessarily your friend.

May 25 13 02:12 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Tony, I do very much agree with your statement " Should you invest with them is the question." on your previous comment.  A good agency typically will have a list of recommended photographers.  The model will then have the choice as to which photographer they wish to work with.   That's the way it should work for a reason ... as it's a conflict if an agency gets a kick back from the photographer, or even more so if the agency has their own in house photographer.  At least that is what I've been told in California.   

I used to be somewhat of a "watchdog" for the Labor Board that licensed talent agencies.  Those at the Labor board would tell me that they appreciate it because they had a heavy case load.  However I know that it's only gotten worse as budget cuts have all but gutted the Labor Board.  It's hard to get a real person on the phone, and "agencies" continue to cross the line as to what is legal or ethical ... many without getting caught.  So the need to being very careful about who you sign with or if "upfront money is wanted is an understatement! 

It seems that you think the agency/offer Wynne got is legit, and I don't think it is ... but that's just fine to disagree on.   We both agree that she should invest in her modeling images and in herself.  It's her decision to make.  She already is signed with someone for some sort of management, I believe.  In my opinion, she could do well to freelance.  Then what do I know?   I'm admittedly one who does not hire models through an agency.  Very few agencies I know of are legit, and the ones that are ... well I know better what I'm looking for than any of them do!  wink

I have my doubts about them but I won't call someone or something a scam without more info.   Things like that email they sent her seems heavy handed and pushy.   My larger point is that models tend too think they can get the level of work they need from shooters from sites like MM.   That's not generally true.   Solid commercial and fashion photos tend to cost money.   Your comment about agencies is point on.   I know of one where the agent was working as a MUA for a recommended photographer.   This was a mid sized agency.   In real world terms I believe that all of this stuff is mostly crap.   Folks need to focus on school and things that have a actual benefit and invest in rent and a working car.   If the OP were 5'10" and in NY, Chicago or another large market I might feel differently.

This ideal that if a agency likes you will pay for everything is inaccurate.   Most have more then enough models and they just don't pay.   You will usually pay for photos, make-up, comp cards and web placement.   If they do pay its a type of loan and interest is attached.   Deductions are made from work you get and a model can quickly find herself thousands of dollars in debt before her first paid job.   http://dismagazine.com/discussion/16801 … of-models/   This is what often does happen.   I think people should focus on being real and most of this stuff isn't.   Its fairy tales and bs.   Modelling is a great job but a lousy career.   Something that is only about one's looks is not good for peoples self esteem.   Freelance may be a better ideal and option for many.   A fun hobby where you sometimes make money.

May 25 13 02:45 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tony,

If you read the agency comment in the OP you will observe [quoted below] that that is not the first or only correspondence. It takes it's harsh tone, it appears, after a previous exchange of e-mails which we have not seen. There is total frustration on the writer's part showing through. We are looking at the end of the conversation not the conversation as a whole.

Go back and read it again. Observe that the OP is only 17 and the writer makes this note in the message:

" ... I have spent a lot of my time explaining this to you and don’t seem to understanding what I am saying so going forward I will have to talk to an adult. ...

Yup, they apparently tried explaining to the OP but now don't want to continue talking to the OP, who is a minor, but, rather, want to discuss it with an adult, presumably a parent.

They are obviously not prepared to invest one additional minute or a single dollar of their own in living the OP's dream. And I don't blame them one bit. That is not their responsibility in the least, legally or morally.

Whatever the OP seems to think of them or the real and direct out-of-pocket costs associated with being a model, and in spite of that harsh message from the agency, as far as we're concerned on this one we definitely have to

https://studio36.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/read_between_the_lions.jpg
"read between the lions"

Studio36

May 25 13 03:25 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

The "smaller" the city is to the fashion world the more likely you would have to pay for testing. When good photographers live in cities where the industry is small they charge the agencies to shoot their models. Most models do have to pay for testings but they don't realize it because the agency takes it out of their pay check. Models literally pay for everything! Travel, comp cards, testings etc. Nothing is free

Sure when you start out some agencies will have you shoot with okay photographers for TFP to see what you've got but when you start getting booked for jobs, they start getting you to shoot with photographers that charger for better pictures and those pictures help you book better well paid work.

I am not saying that this agency is the real thing, because no agent would waste their time writing you that crap email. But you should NEVER think you don't pay anything because you do.

Good luck smile

May 25 13 03:30 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

studio36uk wrote:
Tony,

If you read the agency comment in the OP you will observe [quoted below] that that is not the first or only correspondence. It takes it's harsh tone, it appears, after a previous exchange of e-mails which we have not seen. There is total frustration on the writer's part showing through. We are looking at the end of the conversation not the conversation as a whole.

Go back and read it again. Observe that the OP is only 17 and the writer makes this note in the message:

" ... I have spent a lot of my time explaining this to you and don’t seem to understanding what I am saying so going forward I will have to talk to an adult. ...

Yup, they apparently tried explaining to the OP but now don't want to continue talking to the OP, who is a minor, but, rather, want to discuss it with an adult, presumably a parent.

They are obviously not prepared to invest one additional minute or a single dollar of their own in living the OP's dream. And I don't blame them one bit. That is not their responsibility in the least, legally or morally.

Whatever the OP seems to think of them or the real and direct out-of-pocket costs associated with being a model, and in spite of that harsh message from the agency, as far as we're concerned on this one we definitely have to

"read between the lions"

Studio36

This

May 25 13 03:52 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

Erlinda wrote:
The "smaller" the city is to the fashion world the more likely you would have to pay for testing. When good photographers live in cities where the industry is small they charge the agencies to shoot their models. Most models do have to pay for testings but they don't realize it because the agency takes it out of their pay check. Models literally pay for everything! Travel, comp cards, testings etc. Nothing is free

Sure when you start out some agencies will have you shoot with okay photographers for TFP to see what you've got but when you start getting booked for jobs, they start getting you to shoot with photographers that charger for better pictures and those pictures help you book better well paid work.

I am not saying that this agency is the real thing, because no agent would waste their time writing you that crap email. But you should NEVER think you don't pay anything because you do.

Good luck smile

And this

May 25 13 03:53 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

No one seems too have picked up on the news section. A very small agency it must be with only two stories in 6 months.

May 25 13 03:54 am Link

Photographer

David J Martin

El Paso, Texas, US

I checked out the sites female profiles.  I can't comment on whether the sites legit or not, just on the quality of work. 

I like the layout.  It includes a section for Polaroids.  That's something this site is really missing for models.  If you do a print, it's got most of the important info on it.

The quality of the photos I found seriously lacking.  I wouldn't pay $500.00 for the quality of work that is on this sites 10 or so ports I looked at.  I'd say on average 2 out of 10 pictures in the ports were any good.  The rest looked as good or worse than what you could TF for on this site. 

Hope that helps.

Edit, I'm not comparing the sites photos to the standard of what you would see from a retouching studio doing ad campaigns you'll see in Vogue.  I'm commenting on work from a standard that would come from a competent photographer with minimal time spent retouching.

May 25 13 05:13 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

Wynne-

The statement that every real talent agency will never assess fees to a model is simply false.  There are many agencies in big markets who invest in their top talent by covering the costs of portfolio work and ModelWire fees up front to be deducted from from their earnings later.  However, you are not in a major market and at only 5'6", there is probably no real agency that would advance your portfolio costs.  You cannot assume that the same rules for a 5'10" Albanian model in NYC apply to you.  The important question is "is my portfolio as good as the current agency models?"  and the answer for you is no.

The only way to asses an agency is legit is to personally talk with the talent models.  Ask about their income from modeling, upfront fees, monthly castings, and their overall relationship. Since they provide the names of the talent, you can try to contact them directly on Facebook without the filter of a reference.  I agree that the rant is weak and rude, and could come from an agency that makes more money from their models than clients.  However, their website only shows 42 adult female models, and portfolio mills usually have 100s.

The Anna Jagodzinska lawsuit shows the details of an agency model's earnings and fees here:   
http://jezebel.com/5701608/exclusive-la … its-models

which show model income, advances, and $1600+ in agency fees and charges for one month.

While those that have repeated the common myth that agencies do not charge their talent was trying to protect you, modeling is a competitive career and rules are never absolute.

-Scott

May 25 13 06:07 am Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Erlinda wrote:

Good luck smile

There we go. Explains why the reasoning isn't correct, in a constructive way. Erlinda is awesome big_smile

May 25 13 09:20 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

http://profiles.imdmodeling.com/profile/171/

http://profiles.imdmodeling.com/profile/31/

http://profiles.imdmodeling.com/profile/96/
http://profiles.imdmodeling.com/profile/301/
http://profiles.imdmodeling.com/profile/322/

The model who started this agency has a few stars, that is some models who have actually found work. She may now and then score work for a few of the models. She doesn't just use one shooter for the model's portfolios, but she may at first press for her standard fee as she is mix of school, "portfolio development", and agent. I saw in a number of portfolios different styles and settings.

She can only do so much and, if you're not agency standard, her mercenary instincts will kick in, and she will raid your wallet in a spectacular and, in Oregon, an apparently legal way.

She brags on her site about scouting around the world, but she doesn't really seem to lie. Her claim to be the best is an example of self-belief and while it may be a lie, it is not necessarily so, if she believes she's awesome at representation of agency-standard models.

Some things she does well: the polaroids and the examples she shows of polaroids for the model submission are good. And some models have portfolios that could book them work and I have linked to them above.

On Talent she has them fill out their downloadable resume. I don't think that's sharp.

Judging from the model portfolios: if you're not close to agency standard, she just wants to extract moolah, and so she's a hybrid beastie: moolah extractor-and-sometime-agent. And it appears that she maybe able to get an agency-standard model work, which is quite an achievement for a Medford agent.

May 25 13 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

studio36uk wrote:
Tony,

"read between the lions"

Studio36

I did see that.   To be candid I'm curious why they replied after the first email.   Going back and forth with people tends too be a waste of time.   Besides the OP is 17 as they noted.   My oft made point is that people on sites like this tend to spread misinformation.   I don't know what work the OP has done or will but her current portfolio does not have the kind of work a real world agency could have her take to castings.   So she has not been able to get what she needs via TF.   Agencies are not usually going too invest in developing models.   You are on your own to contact those shooters and MUA who provide tests, paid or TF.   

Smaller markets are even more problematic because solid shooters have less incentive to test for free.   I also get the impression that we are seeing the end of a series of emails.   Emails that frankly I wouldn't have sent to the OP.

May 25 13 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

Paige Morgan wrote:
There we go. Explains why the reasoning isn't correct, in a constructive way. Erlinda is awesome big_smile

awww thanks *blush* smile

May 25 13 11:09 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Ahhhh, so in the last ten, or so, posts we have reached a point that seems to conclude - "Hey, maybe they are not a scam after all" Maybe not the best agency on the west coast [unlikely] or even the best agency in Oregon [questionable], but apparently operating quite within the law = not the scam as previously described.

Studio36

May 25 13 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Mark Stout Photography

You will find if you feel every service you get should be free, that others will be willing to pay you the same for your services as well.

The agency should not force you to use any particular photographer and they should make their money from booking you work, not taking a cut on the portfolio development, nor should they charge you a monthly fee to represent you as some scam agencies do...

However, there is nothing wrong with paying to have your portfolio professionally shot.  If you can't see the value in that, then why would a client see the value of hiring a professional model?  Afterall, ANYONE can stand in front of a camera, can't they?????

May 25 13 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Good for you in having such good BS-spotting instincts at your age! Especially when the "adult" was behaving so abominably towards you.

I had a woman in her 40's with whom I'd blindly agreed to shoot a test last year write to ask me more recently whether I thought the $500+ that a local "agency" wanted to charge her to shoot and print a comp-card was too much money, with her never suspecting that it was a scam.

There was honestly no way this woman could have ever made it as a model, and though I was sure to phrase my response so as to disguise my opinion and spare her feelings, she never responded after I diplomatically and factually explained that it was entirely a scam that she should avoid.

In my previous portfolio-building experience with modeling agencies in Chicago, the agencies were always happy to have opportunities for their fledgling models to go out and shoot TFP with approved photographers so that the models could gain some experience while also building a portfolio. In fact, they would also send their very experienced European-market models to do TFP to get some fresh work for their portfolios. There was never a thought that they would have to pay for anything whatsoever, other than perhaps some printing costs for the comp-card.

You have a good head on your shoulders, and a pretty one too. Best of luck!

May 26 13 03:25 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Mystic Flow Studios wrote:
Good for you in having such good BS-spotting instincts at your age! Especially when the "adult" was behaving so abominably towards you.

I had a woman in her 40's with whom I'd blindly agreed to shoot a test last year write to ask me more recently whether I thought the $500+ that a local "agency" wanted to charge her to shoot and print a comp-card was too much money, with her never suspecting that it was a scam.

There was honestly no way this woman could have ever made it as a model, and though I was sure to phrase my response so as to disguise my opinion and spare her feelings, she never responded after I diplomatically and factually explained that it was entirely a scam that she should avoid.

In my previous portfolio-building experience with modeling agencies in Chicago, the agencies were always happy to have opportunities for their fledgling models to go out and shoot TFP with approved photographers so that the models could gain some experience while also building a portfolio. In fact, they would also send their very experienced European-market models to do TFP to get some fresh work for their portfolios. There was never a thought that they would have to pay for anything whatsoever, other than perhaps some printing costs for the comp-card.

You have a good head on your shoulders, and a pretty one too. Best of luck!

Who were those agencies?   When Elite was here they didn't do that nor did David and Lee or Mary Boncher. or Aria.   This ideal that models get FREE tests and never have too pay is a dangerous one because new models really believe that nonsense and think that any expense they have too pay means the agency is a scam.   The truth is many times models are expected to cover test shoot costs, make-up and hair.   Yes there are shooters who offer free tests but that's usually when models have a decent book to review.   Models are expected too pay for comp cards and web site placement.   There are no free rides.

I did look at your work here and I am curious.   Which agencies did you test with?   What models.   As for $500.00.   That isn't a lot of money.   Especially if that included comp cards.   We haven't been privy to all the emails from the OP and the person at that agency.   They asked too speak to a adult and it seems they  were a bit irritated with the OP.   Frankly, I wouldn't have spoken or written to her in the first place but this ideal that fashion or commercial models get usable work from tests tends to be wrong.   Good work costs money.   Good make-up costs money.

May 26 13 08:47 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tony Lawrence wrote:
The truth is many times models are expected to cover test shoot costs, make-up and hair.   Yes there are shooters who offer free tests but that's usually when models have a decent book to review.   Models are expected too pay for comp cards and web site placement. There are no free rides.

Try this one Tony.

Here in the UK there was a group, a loose association of industry pros, known as "Who Is Testing". I was a member there at one time. In my day it was the practice that the testing photographer and their usually ad hoc team [photographer + MUA &H and maybe a stylist] would work with each other and a model on a test shoot. That test might have been experimental or specifically directed to some more narrow purpose. It was then, and likely still is, the practice that if images, and these were actual prints, were furnished to the model and / or team members for their printed book, that fully colour corrected and spotted images prepared by a pro lab were supplied at some particular cost to whoever wanted the prints. That cost was typically UK£35 - UK£45 per print (~US$50 - ~US$65 per print)

So, yes the test session in itself was at no cost to any of the participants but that didn't mean for one minute that it was "free". These tests, and these kinds tests were for established industry professionals and models to produce images for their books, and were never and are NOT, NOT, NOT TF* [as we see it discussed on the Internet] or otherwise without costs involved.

If someone [model or otherwise] walked in to one of those photographer's shops with the kind of expectations, and self-entitlements, that we see around here with TF*, of shooting 3 or 4 or 5 looks and then getting 10's or dozens, or even hundreds, of images delivered on a CD/DVD they would be lucky not to be tarred, feathered and run out of town on a rail.

Studio36

May 26 13 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Who were those agencies?   When Elite was here they didn't do that nor did David and Lee or Mary Boncher. or Aria.

I am speaking about during the mid-80's Tony (and I think that I remember your name from way back then, btw).

Actually, both "Elite" and "David & Lee" used to send me models to test with while I was building my own portfolio. The only model whose name I remember after all these years was Karen Lea, with whom I shot many times. It was always TFP work.

[BTW, I realize that my current MM portfolio doesn't look very professional (and of course I can't show you my old printed portfolios), but if you read the profile you'd realize that I now live in rural Hawaii, am primarily working on non-model artwork rather than fashion, and that these latter-day images were all casual test-shots done with amateur models at best.  I have been out of the fashion world for a very long time, and furthermore am now shooting without any studio-lighting, and without any having available any professional stylists or MUAs, in case you were wondering.]

May 26 13 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I am speaking about during the mid-80's Tony (and I think that I remember your name from way back then, btw).

Actually, both "Elite" and "David & Lee" used to send me models to test with while I was building my own portfolio. The only model whose name I remember after all these years was Karen Lea. It was always TFP work.

Was this when Marie Anderson was at Elite?   She's nice.   In general though free tests for agency girls is when they have comp cards and or good basic book.   Here's one of the comp card kings of Chicago:   http://www.duverneyphoto.com/DuVerney_P … _Body.html   Ask him about freebies.  Sure some 5'11' show stopper can get free but its just not all that common.   Good work with talented folks costs.

May 26 13 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:

Was this when Marie Anderson was at Elite?   She's nice.   In general though free tests for agency girls is when they have comp cards and or good basic book.

I think that maybe it was Marie.

In any case, this is a very different era photographically, now that we are in the time of traveling internet-only models and online copyright theft. I keep almost all my work off-line for now.

May 26 13 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

I think that maybe it was Marie.

In any case, this is a very different era photographically, now that we are in the time of traveling internet-only models and online copyright theft. I keep almost all my work off-line for now.

roll

May 26 13 02:36 pm Link

Model

Melanie Rose

New York, New York, US

I'm been scouted and contacted by this woman, if it helps, here is our current conversation:

Thank you for your submission to IMTA. My name is Hollie and I am the IMTA Director/Agency Director for IMD in Medford, Oregon. We have been attending IMTA since 1999 and serve as a model and talent Agency for the Northwest, representing Talent from around the country. Please tell me more about yourself. What are your interests? Do you have experience in modeling and are you placed anywhere?

(I answer)

I don’t believe I got your age? IMD works with agencies worldwide; we have contacts in all major markets. This year marked our 15 year anniversary. Our President, Teresa Pollman, started IMD in Medford to enjoy the beauty of Oregon but with the connections to be dialed into the industry full force. Models like Holly Owens, Nick Bellenbaum, Mariah Strongin and Branden Rickman (winner of Bravos hit show Make Me a Supermodel) all started their career with IMD. We currently have two girls going over to Milan for the summer, a handful in LA and models heading to New York.

What do you know about IMTA? With your goals it seems that something like IMTA would be a perfect fit to launch you into the industry. At IMTA you are seen by over 200 agents/managers/casting directors from around the world.

I work with models Worldwide and if they don’t live in Oregon we do skype training to prepare for IMTA. I still need to propose you to our booker before making a decision. Have you watched the video about IMTA? Go to www.imta.com and click the media tab, click multimedia to watch the video. The next IMTA is in January in Los Angeles, we typical audition between 200-250 potential models/talent and take a team of 20-25. We are extremely particular in who we choose to represent and take to IMTA.

(me) Thanks for getting back to me. I am newly 24, but am always being told I look 21 or younger. I have researched your website and reviews. I did hear from one girl you asked for money up front for pictures, which I would not be comfortable with, especially until I am in the agency. Would I need to wait until January for placement? I was hoping to skype or visit in person, the sooner the better. Please let me know what the best next step for you would be. I will watch the video now. Thank you, talk to you soon.

Just to clarify, IMTA and our agency IMD are two separate entities. IMTA is the convention that we attend bi-anually, and IMD is our agency in Oregon. A model with no portfolio would of course need to pay money for a test shoot. You could never wake up one day and say I want to compete with top models but I have no pictures, so you could see this is where a fee for a test shoot would come in wink I would love to schedule a skype interview with you. I am available this afternoon around 2pm pacific standard time. My skype name is hollieimd. The great thing about competing at IMTA is you essentially are seen by all the major markets of the world in one week and this opens doors to so many different options and opportunities. There really is more to be said about a person when they are presented right in front of you, opposed to just a quick photo submission. To give agents the opportunity to see you walk runway and meet you in person is priceless in comparison to the thousands of daily web submissions they receive. This is why IMTA works so incredibly well for IMD. This is not the only way to be represented by IMD. If you plan to move to Portland we can discuss rep-ing you in the Northwest. You are at the prime age to choose to do this and really go for it. Can I ask, have you received any responses from agencies you have submitted to? I look forward to talking with you via skype.

Again, a fee for a test shoot is not “to be with the agency” but how could my booker promote a girl without any pictures. I am simply referring to your statement from a girl that we require money up front to be with us. A test shoot may not be necessary in your case; however, as a model testing/updating just comes with the job.

Jun 20 13 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Belgrade, Central Serbia, Serbia

If you're garanteed to get shots nearly as good as most girls on their website, it is worth every penny, those shots are MILES better than any you have in your port here!

Ask them to just shoot - no signing any contracts and then go to a more prominent agency!? smile

Jun 20 13 07:56 pm Link

Model

Melanie Rose

New York, New York, US

smile

Jun 20 13 08:18 pm Link

Model

Nina Newton

La Crosse, Wisconsin, US

I have a face-to-face interview with IMD this afternoon. I spoke with a photographer yesterday who informed me they are a scam and have gotten in trouble with the D.A. and one of the owners was arrested for inviting a bunch of the 15-16 year old models to party on his boat with him. They have also changed hands/names on multiple occasions according to my source. Armed with this new information, I will look upon it as "interview practice" and a "learning experience". Thank you everyone! I'll let you know how it goes.  smile

Jan 14 15 12:33 pm Link

Model

Nina Newton

La Crosse, Wisconsin, US

I had a very nice interview with a woman who informed me I was too old to be a model unless I'm specifically asked for, but I would be a great actress if I took their acting course which is about $1200, plus fees. I also apparently need one of their selected photographers to do a headshot for me for $500, because the 12 I have aren't what they require. Finally, it costs about $200 to get added to their website with all of the fees included. She was very nice about it and not pushy. Possibly due to my elderly status of not being an 11 year old anorexic sex symbol she was worried being too pushy may cause me to have a coronary. She also warned me against being on Model Mayhem. Hope this helps everyone!  wink

Jan 18 15 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Chuckarelei wrote:

Are you serious, my friend? Where have you been? BBB itself is a scam! Don't you know the methods on how they sell membership?

You beat me to it.

Jan 19 15 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

studio36uk wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that none of the posters above, and a vast majority of [in particular] models on this site, even know the actual legitimate purpose of an "agent" -OR- the legal relationship between "agents" and their principals [mostly models; but occasionally some other kinds of agency represented creatives]

Why is it that you all seem to think that an "agent" should waste even one minute of their time or invest even a single dollar of their money in YOUR dream, ESPECIALLY if you are new, untried, and utterly without any kind of track record in the industry?

Studio36

+1

Jan 20 15 01:23 am Link