Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > models: do you diet?

Model

Courtney Virginia

Atlanta, Georgia, US

We all know that unfortunately the modeling industry is pretty shalllw when it comes to weight.. so out of curiousity, how many models on here keep a strict diet and/or exercise schedule? Is it stressful for you?

Jun 15 13 07:00 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

courtney virginia  wrote:
We all know that unfortunately the modeling industry is pretty shalllw when it comes to weight.. so out of curiousity, how many models on here keep a strict diet and/or exercise schedule? Is it stressful for you?

I have a comfort zone. I alternate, (by choice) between near vegan with no processed foods, added salt, sugar, wine or coffee and not.

When I'm not on the more strict vegan way of eating I will indulge at times but, its pretty balanced when I do.

As for working out, I am more intentional about it when I have an event coming up, months in advance or just a month in advance.

I noticed over 45 that it wasn't so easy to keep my regular weight and body without more effort.
Jen
p.s. although I don't know if it is necessarily about being shallow, I am more accurately bringing myself back to my weight and size from 20-45. It isn't stressful for me but, it does hit my self esteem over my lack of discipline when I don't!

Jun 15 13 03:40 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I've never been a naturally slim person, so yes, exercise and diet awareness are a part of my daily life, and have been since about 2006 or so. I'm also a personal trainer, and currently employed in the fitness industry, so having an impeccable body is part of how I market myself to clients. Being short, it's actually pretty difficult, because no matter what you do, or how hard you work, you will always be, "that little girl" to most people.

Jun 15 13 04:47 pm Link

Model

Courtney Virginia

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Koryn Locke wrote:
I've never been a naturally slim person, so yes, exercise and diet awareness are a part of my daily life, and have been since about 2006 or so. I'm also a personal trainer, and currently employed in the fitness industry, so having an impeccable body is part of how I market myself to clients. Being short, it's actually pretty difficult, because no matter what you do, or how hard you work, you will always be, "that little girl" to most people.

Same here. Im not naturally slim at all.. at my heaviest I was 160 pounds, now since I am newly singed to an agency, I am around 120. The most annoying thing is when you work this hard to stay in shape and eat right and people ask you if you are "eating or not" or if you have a disorder... it was flattering at first, but after hearing that I have a problem simply because I eat right and exercise daily gets old, quick. And I am nowhere near as skinny as most girls in this industry since I am with a commerical/print agency! Lol.

I had to change my lifestyle asap if I wanted to stay healthy or ever get representation like I finally have now. I have a cheat meal once a week.. just to keep me on track.

Jun 15 13 05:06 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Same here. Im not naturally slim at all.. at my heaviest I was 160 pounds, now since I am newly singed to an agency, I am around 120. The most annoying thing is when you work this hard to stay in shape and eat right and people ask you if you are "eating or not" or if you have a disorder... it was flattering at first, but after hearing that I have a problem simply because I eat right and exercise daily gets old, quick. And I am nowhere near as skinny as most girls in this industry since I am with a commerical/print agency! Lol.

I had to change my lifestyle asap if I wanted to stay healthy or ever get representation like I finally have now. I have a cheat meal once a week.. just to keep me on track.

That is great that you were able to loose 40 lbs.  You must have made some major adjustments to your eating habits.  bravo.

I am fortunate in that I was never really much overweight.  Except back in college I got up to 185 from eating typical cafeteria food.

I don't "diet" because it seems like such a temporary strategy.  I just eat right and never have to worry about excess weight.  NO sugar or junk food.  Just lots of fruit, veggies, nuts and fish mostly.

People in my family think I have an eating disorder but I am actually right at the weight that was the average for men my height the year I was born. 

I will guarantee that you will be very happy that you made healthy decisions now when you get to be my age.   Best not to give a rat's ass about what other people think. smile

Jun 15 13 09:02 pm Link

Model

Mary Geraldine

Valdese, North Carolina, US

Yes, my diet consists of donuts and pizza. And Ihop when available.
My exercise routine includes a lot of finger calisthenics.

big_smile

Jun 15 13 09:07 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Mary Geraldine wrote:

big_smile

Teach me the ways of YOU

I've pretty much given up all joy in my life. I don't go out with friends on the weekends, I don't pressure my fiance to take me out to dinner, I avoid anything that doesn't have a nutrition label, and I haven't had ice cream in over a year.

If this so called modeling career doesn't pay off soon then I'm burning down the world

Jun 15 13 09:26 pm Link

Model

Erin Holmes

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I eat incredibly healthy most of the time, but I believe everything in moderation, including moderation. Personally, if I don't have some junk food once in a while I'll just give up on trying to be healthy at all. Even with my occasional indulgences I am still seeing great results.

Jun 15 13 10:32 pm Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

I am on a strict seefood diet.   cool

Jun 15 13 10:44 pm Link

Model

Courtney Virginia

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

That is great that you were able to loose 40 lbs.  You must have made some major adjustments to your eating habits.  bravo.

I am fortunate in that I was never really much overweight.  Except back in college I got up to 185 from eating typical cafeteria food.

I don't "diet" because it seems like such a temporary strategy.  I just eat right and never have to worry about excess weight.  NO sugar or junk food.  Just lots of fruit, veggies, nuts and fish mostly.

People in my family think I have an eating disorder but I am actually right at the weight that was the average for men my height the year I was born. 

I will guarantee that you will be very happy that you made healthy decisions now when you get to be my age.   Best not to give a rat's ass about what other people think. smile

Thank you! Same goes for you.

I also don't diet anymore.. I made the lifestyle change so I wouldn't have to worry about gaining weight. I eat only veggies, lean meat, fruit, and whole grains in moderation. And the junk meal once a week;)

I feel better than ever! Yes, my friends all thought I had an eating disorder as well.. I just ignored it. I knew this is what I wanted to do.

Jun 16 13 04:48 am Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

Nope!
^^;

Jun 16 13 04:50 am Link

Model

Courtney Virginia

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Mary Geraldine wrote:

big_smile

I guess some people are just lucky and born with great metabolisms!! Wish I could eat this way and not gain weight!

Jun 16 13 04:50 am Link

Model

Courtney Virginia

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Danielle Reid wrote:

Teach me the ways of YOU

I've pretty much given up all joy in my life. I don't go out with friends on the weekends, I don't pressure my fiance to take me out to dinner, I avoid anything that doesn't have a nutrition label, and I haven't had ice cream in over a year.

If this so called modeling career doesn't pay off soon then I'm burning down the world

I totally understand where you are coming from.. my lifestyle change and decision to start modeling really effected my social life haha. No one tells you how much you're life will change from it

Jun 16 13 04:52 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

...The most annoying thing is when you work this hard to stay in shape and eat right and people ask you if you are "eating or not" or if you have a disorder... it was flattering at first, but after hearing that I have a problem simply because I eat right and exercise daily gets old, quick...

Yes, it is and it does get old very quick. Welcome to one of the groups that it is considered acceptable to insult, "slim, active, health conscious..." People have little clue that it is insulting to roll their eyes at us and that NO we do not consider it a compliment to have them say in disgust, "Well you are thin..." or "why don't you eat some cake? Its not like its going to hurt you?" Really, how freaking passive aggressive can they be?

Just let it roll off you slender shoulder, its hard but, some folks just have self-serving bias and are very toxic with those frenemy type insults.wink

Jun 16 13 05:59 am Link

Model

Courtney Virginia

Atlanta, Georgia, US

MyrnaByrna Jen B wrote:

Yes, it is and it does get old very quick. Welcome to one of the groups that it is considered acceptable to insult, "slim, active, health conscious..." People have little clue that it is insulting to roll their eyes at us and that NO we do not consider it a compliment to have them say in disgust, "Well you are thin..." or "why don't you eat some cake? Its not like its going to hurt you?" Really, how freaking passive aggressive can they be?

Just let it roll off you slender shoulder, its hard but, some folks just have self-serving bias and are very toxic with those frenemy type insults.wink

I guess they assume this could be considered as a 'compliment'? To me it is very hurtful and embarrassing. I usually just laugh, and try to get over the awkwardness of these comments by acting like I don't give a shit.. best way to handle anything with other people, I've learned. However, I feel like screaming I'm not doing this because I have an eating disorder or I am shallow.. I think there is beauty in all different sizes, however, for my career I knew I would get representation at this size.. point blank.

Also people don't realize that while some people may stop eating to lose weight, there is a wholeother group of people who simply chose to change their lifestyle by eating healthier and exercising consistantly

Jun 16 13 07:18 am Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

I don't diet, and never have.  No self-discipline to do that, really.  I have never been, and will never be, thin, or slender, or anything resembling those things.  I have a huge ass and huge thighs.  That will never change...LOL.

There was a time when I weighed 255 pounds.  I changed my eating habits and lost 105 pounds.  For two years I had no microwave.  If I wanted to eat, I'd damn well better be hungry, since I had to actually prepare food, rather than heat something.  I also ate when I was hungry, and not because it was "meal time."  I also didn't have bread.  None.  And I drank LOTS of water.

I've put a little weight back on, and have now cut bread out again.  The microwave is next.  I do work out at the gym, but not as strictly as I should.  I still drink lots of water, and rarely anything else of significance.  Maybe a soda once every couple of months.  I do drink tequila, and that will not change...LOL.

Jun 16 13 07:41 am Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

I dieted for a while, but now that I've gone back to dance, I wouldn't say I diet, but I do eat mostly raw fruits and veggies, just on principle. I also mostly just eat fish, in terms of meat. I usually stay away from bread, but I eat it more now than I used to. When I was refusing to eat bread (not because it's carbs, but for its general lack of nutrients and whatnot), I replaced it with lots of whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, and so on.

Mmmmm. Now I want quinoa. B-)

Edit: If I'm ingesting refined sugar, it is almost always in the form of my homemade cookies, during those times when NOTHING else will do. I never drink pop anymore, though, and when I do ingest refined sugar these days, my stomach tends to tell me to stop pretty quickly.

I've found that cutting the store-bought, refined crap really cuts back on the bulge. I even make my own chocolate these days, much of the time, though we still keep dark, high-quality bars stocked. wink Oh, and as for alcohol, I typically stick with expensive scotch.

Jun 16 13 08:37 am Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

I have a cheat meal once a week.. just to keep me on track.

Back when I was dieting, not dancing, cheat meals were the love of my life.

Jun 16 13 08:41 am Link

Model

Koryn

It's rare that people comment on me being slim (though it has happened before); they're usually too caught up on how short I am to notice much else.

Jun 16 13 08:57 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Eh, not sure I'd call it a diet... But I've been vegan for awhile. I found out I was allergic to dairy, which helped a lot.

Jun 16 13 09:51 am Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

I totally understand where you are coming from.. my lifestyle change and decision to start modeling really effected my social life haha. No one tells you how much you're life will change from it

It's hard being offered a drink and having to turn it down because I have no idea how many calories are in it, or I'm already over my calorie limit for the day and exercising just doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

People look at me weird because I went from drinking at least once a week to not drinking at all unless I'm having a pretty bad fight with my fiance.

And now I found out I'm pregnant so all that hard work is GONE! I blame him...

Jun 16 13 03:06 pm Link

Model

Courtney Virginia

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Danielle Reid wrote:
It's hard being offered a drink and having to turn it down because I have no idea how many calories are in it, or I'm already over my calorie limit for the day and exercising just doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

People look at me weird because I went from drinking at least once a week to not drinking at all unless I'm having a pretty bad fight with my fiance.

And now I found out I'm pregnant so all that hard work is GONE! I blame him...

Yup! Same here. I went from drinking with my girlfriends all the time to zero alcohol in my life and being very career driven/ health conscious.

People in college reallllllly look at you like an alien if you don't drink and eat healthy. At that point I didn't really give a shit, I just wanted to llama and I would lose the weight I needed too and suffer through the snide remarks to get there. Immature college dicks. Lol

Jun 16 13 03:59 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Danielle Reid wrote:

Teach me the ways of YOU

smile! I like this. Ha, nice!

Jun 16 13 09:39 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I guess they assume this could be considered as a 'compliment'? To me it is very hurtful and embarrassing. I usually just laugh, and try to get over the awkwardness of these comments by acting like I don't give a shit.. best way to handle anything with other people, I've learned. However, I feel like screaming I'm not doing this because I have an eating disorder or I am shallow.. I think there is beauty in all different sizes, however, for my career I knew I would get representation at this size.. point blank.

Also people don't realize that while some people may stop eating to lose weight, there is a wholeother group of people who simply chose to change their lifestyle by eating healthier and exercising consistantly

I only just now realized that I suppose we do not need to say a single word when we are openly insulted by meanies but, perhaps a slow and intentional gaze to the mid-section or behind of the person saying it, and then raising a single eyebrow would be sufficient answer to make our point. Usually it is NOT a happy person who is insulting.

I seriously doubt that any plus size model would utter something so insane, (they are busy doing their own workout and maintaining regimen to keep their curves just right!)
Jen

Jun 16 13 09:45 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

London, England, United Kingdom

I have done in the past but I don't really need to at the minute. I can't pretty much eat what I want as long as I'm sensible about it, I pretty much self-regulate my diet without thinking much about it so never had to go extreme cut out all the bads or anything.

Jun 17 13 12:55 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

no, I don't believe in diets. I watch what I eat and I work out regularly, but it's a matter of lifestyle, not diet.

Jun 17 13 03:00 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

I guess some people are just lucky and born with great metabolisms!! Wish I could eat this way and not gain weight!

there is such a thing as skinny fat. thin people who eat unhealthy and fatty can still get blocked arteries and heartattacks and what not smile. imo, eating right and trying to be healthy is something to strive for no matter your size or metabolism. but that's just me of course. Although I do admit, if I could eat anything I want for a couple of days without gaining weight, just once... that would be fun tongue.

Jun 17 13 03:06 am Link

Model

Courtney Virginia

Atlanta, Georgia, US

MyrnaByrna Jen B wrote:

I only just now realized that I suppose we do not need to say a single word when we are openly insulted by meanies but, perhaps a slow and intentional gaze to the mid-section or behind of the person saying it, and then raising a single eyebrow would be sufficient answer to make our point. Usually it is NOT a happy person who is insulting.

I seriously doubt that any plus size model would utter something so insane, (they are busy doing their own workout and maintaining regimen to keep their curves just right!)

Haha! I love it! So true : - )
Jen

Jun 17 13 07:43 am Link

Model

Courtney Virginia

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Anna Adrielle wrote:

there is such a thing as skinny fat. thin people who eat unhealthy and fatty can still get blocked arteries and heartattacks and what not smile. imo, eating right and trying to be healthy is something to strive for no matter your size or metabolism. but that's just me of course. Although I do admit, if I could eat anything I want for a couple of days without gaining weight, just once... that would be fun tongue.

I would love to do that if I knew I wouldn't gain weight haha.. I can't deny that.

But overall, I feel bad when I eat unhealthy so i know its better for me.

Jun 17 13 07:45 am Link

Model

sasweets

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

No. There would be no point in doing so and my family raised me to think of it as "changing" what god gave me and blah blah bleh. I get why people exercise (which I don't do and still placed third on the track team) and eating right is what I try to do for most of the time but I still eat whatever I want if I'm craving it. I don't want to be a health nut that eats bland food lol that would suck for me because I have no self control to my food cravings.

Jun 17 13 07:53 am Link

Model

DarcieK

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Yes, I do diet. Not all the time, but when I have lots of shoots or fashion shows coming up, I do the South Beach diet which basically cuts out all processed sugars and carbs. I have lost 24 or so pounds in the last 5 months due to doing 2 cycles of it.

I also try to work out every other day if possible. I'm not naturally slim, so I need to do this once in a while to keep my weight in check.

Jun 17 13 08:35 am Link

Model

Koryn

Yup! Same here. I went from drinking with my girlfriends all the time to zero alcohol in my life and being very career driven/ health conscious.

People in college reallllllly look at you like an alien if you don't drink and eat healthy. At that point I didn't really give a shit, I just wanted to model and I would lose the weight I needed too and suffer through the snide remarks to get there. Immature college dicks. Lol

I went to college with a lot of vegan straight-edge people, who did not drink or party at all. The average age of people at the university I attended was 27 - when I was there ten years ago anyway. That probably made a big difference. If there is anything I think I could do BETTER in my life for health, it would be to stop drinking alcohol. I have worked, on and off for the past four years, in bars however and it's pretty impossible not to socially drink when drinking is an aspect of earning revenue.

Jun 17 13 09:24 am Link

Model

Koryn

sasweets wrote:
No. There would be no point in doing so and my family raised me to think of it as "changing" what god gave me and blah blah bleh. I get why people exercise (which I don't do and still placed third on the track team) and eating right is what I try to do for most of the time but I still eat whatever I want if I'm craving it. I don't want to be a health nut that eats bland food lol that would suck for me because I have no self control to my food cravings.

if you feel that healthy food is "bland," you are either an inexperienced cook, or grew up surrounded by people who weren't very innovative cooks. Health foods are often spicy, flavorful and have dramatic tastes, if you know how to cook and cook frequently.

Jun 17 13 09:27 am Link

Model

Courtney Virginia

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Koryn Locke wrote:

if you feel that healthy food is "bland," you are either an inexperienced cook, or grew up surrounded by people who weren't very innovative cooks. Health foods are often spicy, flavorful and have dramatic tastes, if you know how to cook and cook frequently.

Yup. If you learn how to cook it right... health food can taste just as good or better.

Jun 17 13 10:01 am Link

Model

sasweets

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Koryn Locke wrote:

I said I do eat healthy food but not diet food where you drink diet shakes, diet pills, and salad all day. I guess you didn't read where I said I do try to ' eat right ' just constantly because of my metabolism. My family is all over the world so of course I eat home cooked meals and they all have their own take on how to make food taste good.

Jun 17 13 10:22 am Link

Model

Fine Wine

Orange, California, US

I am not "on a diet" but I do consistently work out 5 days a week to stay in shape.  I do this by choice because I feel better and more energetic when I do. I don't view working out as a chore.  It is part of my daily routine like taking a shower or brushing my teeth.  I don't think about it...I just do it.

I do watch what I eat.  I pay special attention to portion size. I don't deny myself my favorite foods...I eat them on occasion as a treat.  I eat a small portion of them and savor it while I do.

Jun 30 13 08:54 pm Link

Model

chasingKelly

Stanton, California, US

I fast and detox before a shoot!

Jun 30 13 10:07 pm Link