Forums > Model Colloquy > Clothing As Compensation

Model

Shilo Von Porcelaine

Los Angeles, California, US

This isn't really a personal post, I was just curious...

If you get paid with clothing for a shoot or get to keep something afterwards, do you shoot in it again or do you consider it rude? Photographers, what are your views on this if you bought something to shoot in for a model?

Jun 18 13 09:36 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

Shilo Von Porcelaine wrote:

If you get paid with clothing for a shoot or get to keep something afterwards, do you shoot in it again or do you consider it rude? Photographers, what are your views on this if you bought something to shoot in for a model?

Considering most of my clothed shoots are of a model wearing cotton underwear, it wouldn't bother me, as long as it fit the theme of what we were shooting, no big deal.

Jun 18 13 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Fred Ackerman

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I once had a client who manufactured gorgeous women's clothing.. I did some major photography for her and when she couldn't pay (cash flow problems) asked if I'd take 'payment' in clothing.. My friend got thousands of dollars worth of lovely tops, pants, dresses and skirts. I was happy and so was my dear 'friend'.. Just an aside..

Jun 18 13 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Glamorous Imaging

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I have given wardrobes in exchange for shoots.  I have generally asked that they do not use it with another photographer, but I have never put it into writing per say.  I suppose that once the ownership has changed hands a model can do with what she pleases much in the way of paying her in cash.

Jun 18 13 09:59 am Link

Model

Lexa D

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Where've you been?  I have a whole wardrobe from this.  The studio I work for has a lot of clothing companies and they furnish their stuff for pictures and then don't want it back quite often--especially lingerie.  Bras aren't cheap and so llamas that know this always jump for the chance when these shoots come up.  The studio even gets gift certificates sometimes and gives those away.

Jun 18 13 10:03 am Link

Photographer

gwsphotos

Lewiston, Maine, US

It depends on the outfit.  If it is a very specialized theme costume them I might request no using it for a photo session.  Generally I don't give it a second thought.  That would be kinda like saying don't use that same pose with anyone else.  Everyone is going to interpret/visualize similar outfits/poses/makeup in their own way.

Jun 18 13 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Incubus Imagery

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

If you are trading for clothing – which I think is a marvellous idea as the photographer gets the look they are going for and hopefully the model was consulted in picking out cloths she would want. Then I don’t see an issue with the model wearing the cloths in shoots with other photographers.

As far as I am concerned they are the models cloths after the shoot. No different than paying a model that shows up with her own wardrobe then wears the same wardrobe to another shoot.  As a photographer you should really care less – cash or clothing, its payment for work provided. If you are concerned you may want to take a step back and ask yourself why it bothers you. As a model I would think after doing a shoot in a certain wardrobe you would not want another in the same wardrobe for your port. Though using part of the wardrobe to mix and match would expand wardrobe choices.

Jun 18 13 10:23 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Clothing is payment, cash is payment, I use my cash with other people don't I?

Jun 18 13 10:27 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Yes. Once you own it, you should be able to do whatever you want with it.

Jun 18 13 10:31 am Link

Photographer

JONATHAN RICHARD

New York, New York, US

........ keep something afterwards, do you shoot in it again or do you consider it rude? Photographers, what are your views on this if you bought something to shoot in for a model?

I have had several shoots in which a model has walked off of set with  a piece of my shoot styling aka ..(lifted, pinched, stolen) ...   and  post images wearing it for other shoots .

Rude was not the word I thought to use to describe such actions.

Jun 18 13 10:33 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

JONATHAN RICHARD wrote:
I have had several shoots in which a model has walked off of set with  a piece of my shoot styling aka ..(lifted, pinched, stolen) ...   and  post images wearing it for other shoots .

Good thing when shes not misquoted her whole OP doesn't elude to stealing

Jun 18 13 10:40 am Link

Model

Shilo Von Porcelaine

Yeah, I was not eluding to stealing at all so please do not misquote me to make it seem I was. I was talking about if something was given to me rather than compensation.

I have used one dress I got as payment from a shoot, and was offered another shoot shortly after with someone else, and because it was a paid shoot and the photographer specifically requested a latex dress and that was the only one I had, I used it. I wasn't told by the photographer who gave it to me not to shoot in it again. I have, on occasion, been compensated with something and then been told "just don't shoot with anyone else in it", which I thought was odd and slightly impolite if I wasn't being paid for the shoot also.

I just wanted to see if there was a general etiquette about this.

Jun 18 13 10:44 am Link

Model

JessieLeigh

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

This.
The person giving clothing (or food, or a gift certificate, or a car radio) as payment instead of cold hard cash has zero right to try to dictate how that clothing (or food, or a gift certificate, or a car radio) gets used.

JONATHAN RICHARD wrote:
I have had several shoots in which a model has walked off of set with  a piece of my shoot styling

If that has happened to you several times, perhaps you need to evaluate how you determine what models to work with, because for whatever reason you are picking some shady ladies to work with.

Jun 18 13 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Belgrade, Central Serbia, Serbia

Well, if that next set you take clothes to produces great shots, then I think designer/stylist would consider it to be a promotion of their work.

But I really think you should consult on the day you're getting the compensation, as there might be all sorts of stipulations.

Jun 18 13 10:55 am Link

Model

Bunny Bombshell

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've done projects where I was paid in wardrobe (in addition to images). I prefer shoots where the garments are part of the compensation. I don't wear them for other assignments however

Jun 18 13 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

JONATHAN RICHARD

New York, New York, US

JessieLeigh wrote:
If that has happened to you several times, perhaps you need to evaluate how you determine what models to work with, because for whatever reason you are picking some shady ladies to work with.

Several times of having styling items walking off a set are now chalked up as doing business .. considering the number of shoots I have been associated with.  What you will come to learn is that the odds for having uncomplicated shoots eventually go the other way no matter how well planed or booked.

What I found to help prevent reoccurrence of this particular issue at shoots was a better means for maintaining styling pull inventory .

Jun 18 13 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

ImagineAerie

Plano, Texas, US

Wow, I thought what I had done was unusual!  Seems fairly common, though!  My rule is (with my wardrobe and TF) if you pose in it, you take it home, it's yours.

Jun 18 13 03:20 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

London, England, United Kingdom

Laura UnBound wrote:

Pretty much. If a photographer wouldn't want me to use the wardrobe after shoot i'd expect to be notified of this when discussing the payment, though in reality it would probably make it worthless to me.

Jun 18 13 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

JONATHAN RICHARD wrote:

Several times of having styling items walking off a set are now chalked up as doing business .. considering the number of shoots I have been associated with.  What you will come to learn is that the odds for having uncomplicated shoots eventually go the other way no matter how well planed or booked.

What I found to help prevent reoccurrence of this particular issue at shoots was a better means for maintaining styling pull inventory .

best to a list and check it before anyone leaves. this will help cut it down.

Jun 18 13 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

probably would be tactful not to shoot it straight away or do a different style of shoot with it, but other than that it should be yours to use how you see fit, just be weary of having the same look in your port.

Jun 18 13 05:45 pm Link

Model

Loli Scotch

Dallas, Texas, US

If it is manufactured/sewn/designed by a clothing artist directly involved in the original shoot, no.  That is a piece that was lovingly created, and should only be used in photos that the designer commissioned or allowed. (In my opinion.) 

However, if it was picked up at a department store or anything else like that, yes.  They usually aren't specific, stand-out pieces in those cases, and thus are acceptable/vague enough for a variety of shoots.

Edit for clarification: Unless the photographer requests that it not be used for other shoots, in which case I would respect that.

Jun 18 13 07:40 pm Link

Model

Carmilla Jo

Oakland, California, US

I don't think it's rude to shoot in the same outfit again. I've been given a few wonderful latex garments from a dear photographer friend of mine, who said that he'd love to see me wear them again in future shoots, not just with him.

And anyway, if the clothes are given to me as payment, they're mine to use again. I would probably just style the clothes differently, such as pairing it with different jewelry, shoes, makeup style, and hair.

Jun 19 13 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Jun 19 13 01:04 pm Link

Model

Sarah_

The designers I've worked with have been ecstatic when I wear their clothes in other shoots because their clothes get extra publicity, and they don't have to pay for it.  Not that I always get to keep their clothes, but every now and then I get to keep something.

Jun 19 13 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

JoeConcepts

Bath, Maine, US

I can see both sides of this issue.  If the clothing is something that was purchased at a department store, is otherwise commonly available or is fairly generic looking then it doesn't matter.  If the clothing is something for a new line that hasn't hit the market yet then insisting that the clothing not be worn for another shoot (or even in public) until the advertisement goes live or the product hits the stores could be perfectly reasonable.  If the clothing is something that approaches the level of a legitimate, handcrafted art piece then I think there could be an argument made about controlling how that piece is used.  Sure, many designers at that level would want it to be seen, but there could be exceptions.

Jun 19 13 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Infidel

Hattiesburg, Mississippi, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

"Here's a a thousand bucks for your time, but don't use it to buy makeup, clothing, or plane tickets to another shoot.  Also, don't pay your gym membership, your grocer, or your rent.  Other than that, you can spend it as you see fit.

I have bought wardrobe for a specific shoot, and when it didn't go to the model, it ended up in the "room full of stuff" in case it could be used again.  Once it's given, though, my control is gone.  A client specified that the model receive a high end bikini after the shoot, and I honestly don't know if she used it again.  If she did, and if she or the photographer mentioned the client's name in the credits of the photo, I expect they'd be happy with that.

Jun 19 13 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Infidel

Michael Bots wrote:
Of course you could end up with a pair of these --

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013 … nese-Girls
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/antipe … index.html

I saw those earlier today, and I'm dying to buy some to have on hand.  I'm sure I could find a use for them.

Jun 19 13 04:50 pm Link

Model

Goodbye4

Laura UnBound wrote:

This.

Jun 19 13 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

JONATHAN RICHARD wrote:

Laura UnBound wrote:
Good thing when shes not misquoted her whole OP doesn't elude to stealing

Yeah, I was not eluding to stealing at all so please do not misquote me to make it seem I was. I was talking about if something was given to me rather than compensation.

Sorry, I was taken aback when I read that comment.  How did "stealing" come into the conversation?  I have a number of photographers at my events let models keep the clothes they wear and pay them as well.  That isn't unusual.

Unless a designer has specifically told you not to, that is the point of a model's wardrobe.  It isn't rude at all.

Jun 19 13 05:07 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

I read an article about Marc Jacobs paying his models with clothes. Idk about how true that is though.

But I guess it could be considered as a form of payment.

Jun 19 13 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

I sometimes give clothing to models after the shoot. If I'm planning on submitting to a magazine, I request that the model not shoot in that wardrobe until it's been published. After that, it's hers to use as she wants.

Jun 19 13 07:22 pm Link

Model

Sierra McKenzie

Seattle, Washington, US

Clothing isn't worth much to a model if she isn't allowed to bring it to shoots....

Jun 19 13 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Hudson

Binghamton, New York, US

I wish the models would want to do a shoot for part of the wardrobe collection I have!!!  I have a HUGE wardrobe and prop collection, I never thought about  offering this as part of the deal...

Jun 19 13 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I have provided clothing and costumes as part of compensation. And I do not mind if the model finds a better photographer to get better images than the ones I provided. One was afraid to post the other work and contacted me. Nice gesture, but not necessary. The other photographer nailed the image. Of course, she should use that newer image.

Unless I made the outfit by hand and of my own design, I do not see the issue. I think giving the model the outfit is saying, "I hope you wear it again." Why else provide her with the outfit? To gather dust in her closet?

But If I bought the outfit somewhere, she could buy it there, too, or the other photographer could also have purchased it.

Rude would be to take that outfit to the same location, with reverse engineering on the lighting, and attempting to duplicate the original image.

Jun 19 13 11:11 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Chain Reaction

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Koryn Locke wrote:
Yes. Once you own it, you should be able to do whatever you want with it.

This. Besides, I would consider it free publicity!

Jun 20 13 07:04 am Link

Photographer

Photo Infidel

The only "conflict" I ever had regarding wardrobe was a photo of a model wearing a white knit "tube dress" that happened to be about 12 feet too long, so that she was standing in it and the rest sort of trailed away out of the frame.  A photographer contacted me wanting to find one like it, and I was a bit reticent to tell him, since I got it at AutoZone in the waxing, cleaning and detailing aisle. smile

Jun 20 13 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

DwLPhoto

Palo Alto, California, US

I've given a lot of clothes away, because who wants to wear stockings etc that aren't new in the package?

Jun 20 13 05:26 pm Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Sometimes I re-shoot in stuff, but usually I don't. It all depends on what the item is. I recently re-shot in a bikini that I was "paid" with, back in 2011. That bikini earned back it's monetary price, probably 3x over.

The company never said I couldn't, and it's an item that won't go out of style anytime soon, as it's quite basic.

That being said, though, usually the stuff I'm gifted is everyday stuff that I wouldn't shoot in normally.

Jun 24 13 08:29 am Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Michael Bots wrote:
Of course you could end up with a pair of these --

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013 … nese-Girls
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/antipe … index.html

@.@

I love how "super-sexy" is part of their description.

Jun 24 13 08:33 am Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Leland Ray wrote:
The only "conflict" I ever had regarding wardrobe was a photo of a model wearing a white knit "tube dress" that happened to be about 12 feet too long, so that she was standing in it and the rest sort of trailed away out of the frame.  A photographer contacted me wanting to find one like it, and I was a bit reticent to tell him, since I got it at AutoZone in the waxing, cleaning and detailing aisle. smile

xD LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 24 13 08:36 am Link