Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Eyeshadow first OR Foundation first? Best way...

Makeup Artist

Hannah Snider Makeup

Kansas City, Kansas, US

I'm debating which is the best way to go about the whole face, do the eye look and then foundation, or perfect the skin and then do the eyes?

I understand there will be some eyeshadow fallout, but if you do the entire face after won't you get some of your powders get caught in the eyebrows and eyelashes?
If you do the eye method first, will you prep the face immediately before the foundation having cleaned up the fallout, or would you prep the face even before the eyes?

So to summarize....

Eyes or foundation first?
Any hidden issues when doing foundation after?
When do you prep the face?

Thanks!!!

Aug 04 13 04:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup Art by Tamara

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

I moisturize/prep the face first, then do shadow work and set the false lashes. Then I clean up the shadow fallout before I do foundation. After all powders are on, I apply mascara. The shadow fallout (to me) is a much bigger problem than any powder that might fall onto the lids or lashes. Especially if you're doing dark shadows or smokey eye. Hope that helps.

Aug 04 13 05:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Hannah Snider Makeup wrote:
...best way to go about the whole face, do the eye look and then foundation, or perfect the skin and then do the eyes?

Hannah I find that every client and/or narrative requires it's own unique workflow... there is no "one size fits all" a.k.a. "best"

Hannah Snider Makeup wrote:
would you prep the face even before the eyes?

My prep remains the same... always.... Clean; Tone; Primer/moisturizer depending on skin type/condition... the important point here is to allow the primer and/or moisturizer to soften the skin before application of product... I typically do brow grooming/treatment while I wait for the primer to take effect...

If I'm doing powder eye decor then I will apply foundation down to the eye only, do the eye decor then clean up the fallout below the eye with a brush sweep or a sponge lightly moisten with primer...

Then and only then will I apply foundation on the remaining portion of the face... btw, I've tried just about every scenario conceivable and this works for me... others may have their own methodologies that work well for them... the quality/speed of results are all that matter here in my humble estimation...

Speaking of which, Hannah, have you considered using cream eye decor instead of powder?  This totally eliminates the aforementioned issues smile

I consider creams as an excellent choice for eye decor especially with woman of color for which I cherish the opportunity to use far more vibrant hue/chromes...

Here is and example of cream eye decor in which I was easily able to apply foundation to the entire face without the least concern for fallout...

https://www.restonstudio.com/gallery/Fgallery18-7.jpg

hope this helps...

Aug 05 13 07:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

For face powders to be a concern, you'd have to be fairly haphazard with your application. So no, not a worry as long as you're careful and precise, which we have to be anyway.

Aug 05 13 08:36 am Link

Makeup Artist

Carmen Make up and Hair

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I might be the only artist in here to say this but.. I do foundation and then eyes.  It's the way I've always done it... when I tried to do it the other way around it just didn`t feel right.
I can always go in and clean up under eyes and re-conceal if I get fallout.
In my opinion, It's all about what works for you.  Try it both ways.  See what feels comfortable.  One of the many reasons I got into make up, was because there are minimal `rules`.

Aug 05 13 09:42 am Link

Makeup Artist

Katy G

Yucaipa, California, US

Carmen Rachel MUA wrote:
I might be the only artist in here to say this but.. I do foundation and then eyes.  It's the way I've always done it... when I tried to do it the other way around it just didn`t feel right.

You aren't the only one! I tried the other way around a few times and it just slowed me down.

The major reason why I prefer to apply foundation first is because for me, it doubles as an eyeshadow primer. I don't know if this technique is supposed to work, but I've always found it to work and it's never failed me for even eyeshadow coverage and staying power. And for that reason, I haven't bought (or bought into the need for) an eyeshadow primer. Of course, I've only used a very small handful of different foundations and I'm just beginning to work with two more that are new to me, so we'll see. Hopefully, this continues to work, since I'm all about eliminating unnecessary steps and not hoarding more products than I really need. smile

Aug 05 13 02:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Leila Nadine

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

If I'm using naturals, skin first, If I'm using dark shadows/shimmers other way around. If I'm changing a natural look into a dramatic one on set then I don't really have a choice, tissue or shadow shields to protect the face makeup

Aug 05 13 02:18 pm Link