Forums > General Industry > Refused work for looking too young!

Photographer

ME_

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I'm going to guess that May S. may mean not that she personally thinks a 49-year-old woman can't be sexually attractive but that advertisers think that, in the sense of their targeting demographics for sales of their products. I.e., they may not either PERSONALLY believe it, but when they are selling to the largest market for a great many products - 18-34-year-old males - women who are their mom's age aren't the best representatives of their products.

Now exceptions are made for celebrities because they are idolized and iconized.  But regular 49-year-old women are not going to be used for advertising quite a bit of products because they are not what sells to the target demographic.

Sep 10 13 06:09 am Link

Model

Misty R H

Anaheim, California, US

ME_ wrote:
I'm going to guess that May S. may mean not that she personally thinks a 49-year-old woman can't be sexually attractive but that advertisers think that, in the sense of their targeting demographics for sales of their products. I.e., they may not either PERSONALLY believe it, but when they are selling to the largest market for a great many products - 18-34-year-old males - women who are their mom's age aren't the best representatives of their products.

Now exceptions are made for celebrities because they are idolized and iconized.  But regular 49-year-old women are not going to be used for advertising quite a bit of products because they are not what sells to the target demographic.

I certainly agree that a 49 year old women is not going to be selected to advertise products whose target market is 18-34 year olds. I never thought otherwise. I know the type of products someone my age would be used to market for would be those that are geared toward baby boomers.  In fact baby boomers are huge market with a large disposable income so that is also a target market.

I think the model in the OP is frustrated because she can't do the work that she used to do.  Although I think her long hair is beautiful, it may come off as too youthful for the market demographic she would be used for.  A model in an ad needs to identify with the target market.

I just had issue with the comment about 49 being too old to be sexually attractive or beautiful.

Sep 10 13 07:07 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

If you have talent more than looks, you keep workin'

Truth.

Sep 10 13 07:45 am Link

Photographer

ME_

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Misty R H wrote:
I certainly agree that a 49 year old women is not going to be selected to advertise products whose target market is 18-34 year olds. I never thought otherwise. I know the type of products someone my age would be used to market for would be those that are geared toward baby boomers.  In fact baby boomers are huge market with a large disposable income so that is also a target market.

I think the model in the OP is frustrated because she can't do the work that she used to do.  Although I think her long hair is beautiful, it may come off as too youthful for the market demographic she would be used for.  A model in an ad needs to identify with the target market.

I just had issue with the comment about 49 being too old to be sexually attractive or beautiful.

Yes, I understand that. What I am saying is that the person who made that comment may be stating what she believes advertisers to believe. Hollywood certainly believes it to a large extent. Whether it's true or not is debateable; that it is pretty much a given in movies, TV shows, and advertising is not.

Sep 10 13 07:47 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

PS, 'ME' great PF pic.
The original Classic Girl got shit.

http://www.aintnoright.org/Interviews/c … sive03.htm

Sep 10 13 07:47 am Link

Photographer

ME_

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thank you! I hope to see them in a couple of weeks! Last time I got to watch from Dave's guitar rack!!

Sep 10 13 07:54 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

ME_ wrote:
Thank you! I hope to see them in a couple of weeks! Last time I got to watch from Dave's guitar rack!!

Need an assistant?
Hee hee

Or um seriously

Sep 10 13 07:59 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I used to sell skincare/cosmetics at a department store. Our line's main expertise was products for aging. I was in my 30's but looked in my 20's and that meant I didn't sell all that much because people wanted to buy from someone who was much older than they thought I was. It didn't matter that I used products to prevent aging and that in fact they DID work. Customers couldn't relate to me because of my appearance.

Sep 10 13 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Oldano Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

May S wrote:
This is the point. At 49, she is too old to be considered sexually attractive/beautiful but too young to be a sexless grandmother. Actresses over 40 are always saying the roles dry up. They are relegated to ingenue, mother, or grandmother.

May S, I daresay that from your perspective, that of being in your 20s, if you were to immediately jump forward 25 years, you could possibly see that as the end of your modeling career. If it is your desire to hopefully continue with modeling well into your 40s or 50s, then I wish you godspeed and good fortune.

That said, to make such an overreaching statement that 49 is too old to be "sexually attractive/beautiful" is cutting yourself short in those 25 years and an unfair, bordering on cruel, statement regarding women that have achieved that milestone.

Consider all the efforts and work you have put into creating your current portfolio, the long and fruitless go-see drives you have made, etc., and then imagine yourself in the shoes of that 35-year old or 45-year old or 55-year old model, the model you will eventually be.

Personally, I seldom work with models in their 20s, and that is by my choice. I much prefer to work with talent that has reached at least their mid-30s and beyond.

Why, you may ask (yes, I know, it's rhetorical)?

Because, those models have such incredible tales to tell to my camera, they have years of experience to share with the camera. And, the 20-somethings rarely have that ability. And that is not the 20-something's fault - they just happen to be in their 20s.

To be fair and honest, the 49-year old model in question does look 49, in my opinion. Would I approach her for collaborating on a project? It would depend on the project. Would I reject her out of hand. Not for a minute. And for the same reason that I would not reject a 20-something for a project - you never know what the next phone call will bring and what that call's requirements will be.

Rick

Sep 10 13 09:39 pm Link

Model

GingerMuse

STUDIO CITY, California, US

LOL! the bottom (current) picture she doesn't look any younger than 50. I don't think she looks "too young" or to be honest that great for her age. delusional.

Sep 10 13 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

MC Seoul Photography

Seoul, Seoul, Korea (South)

I can go on with many more images of beautiful mature ladies.

Could you do it with images that aren't heavily retouched and/or larger than a postage stamp?

Sep 11 13 05:13 am Link