Forums > General Industry > DO NOT smile...PLEASE!!

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Why is it that, in the fashion world 90% of the time, the models
have to look, pissed, annoyed at something or hate what they are doing! Or is it starvation that get them in this mood?
Considering what some have to wear...Could be the reason.
I am thinking runways.... not Victoria's!!
Editors request?

Sep 07 13 09:11 am Link

Photographer

Excelsior Photography

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

It drives me crazy. I believe that they think a snarl is sexy.
Personally, I never hire a model who doesn't have smiling shots in her port.

Sep 07 13 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Kool Koncepts

Saint Louis, Michigan, US

Primarily because in fashion it is not about the model but what she is wearing.

Sep 07 13 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Because a big happy smile makes a photoshoot look less dramatic and so makes it look more commercial.  Fashion is the dramatic/action side of photography and commercial is like the romantic comedy.

Think about movie posters for dramatic, high budget movies.  Are the actors on the cover of Black Swan, Titanic or the Kill Bill smiling?  No, because it would create a whole different feeling for the characters and the movie.

Smiling creates a certain feeling that you just don't generally want for most high fashion images.  They're made to tell a story and often it's something that conveys intense emotion, hence no smiling.

Sep 07 13 09:38 am Link

Photographer

DarrylPascoePhotography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Kool Koncepts wrote:

This.....  although not always the case that it means they don't want happy and smiling. There is plenty of advertising for commercial fashion that shows happy smiling people wearing the clothing.

Sep 07 13 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Atlantic Picture

Ocean City, Maryland, US

I think it's a combination of the prev. answer  (the main subject is not the model) and the(ir) idea that it makes them cool.

I shot with girls who thought being a bit "too serious" makes them look more high class, hard to get, special..etc...etc..
Now advertising is a diff. idea altogether..

So basically you create a need/want/desire then show ppl that it will make them happy and they are available...  or I just had too much coffee...

Sep 07 13 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ariadne Photography wrote:
Because a big happy smile makes a photoshoot look less dramatic and so makes it look more commercial.  Fashion is the dramatic/action side of photography and commercial is like the romantic comedy.

Think about movie posters for dramatic, high budget movies.  Are the actors on the cover of Black Swan, Titanic or the Kill Bill smiling?  No, because it would create a whole different feeling for the characters and the movie.

Smiling creates a certain feeling that you just don't generally want for most high fashion images.  They're made to tell a story and often it's something that conveys intense emotion, hence no smiling.

that

Sep 07 13 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Dave McDermott

Coill Dubh, Kildare, Ireland

I thought it was just the blue steel look. smile The models on the catwalk seem to be the most serious or 'pouty' looking. Some fashion images do have nice natural expressions though.

Sep 07 13 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

SoftLights

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Kool Koncepts wrote:

From what I understand they don't want the model to smile, have big boobs or anything else that would draw attention away from the cloths.

Sep 07 13 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

My guess (and it's only that since I freely admit that I know absolutely nothing about the fashion industry) is that it's a chain of events not unlike a train wreck:

1- A terribly constipated model manages to release a fart.

2- At precisely that moment the photographer snaps the picture.

3- The picture is submitted and the client pays

4- The photographer receives the check, pays the model, his agent and the
     landlord

6- The photographer, agent and model each go to seven different meetups, bars
     or bar-mitzvahs, bragging about the ground-breaking picture they just sold
     and flashing tears in the face of anyone willing to look.
     The landlord just deposits the check.

7-  Eighty-seven photographers duplicate the shot, changing only the model and
     the outfit and pedal the resulting "breakthrough" concepts  to four hundred
     thirty knock-off manufacturers who advertise in WWD and/or late-night cable.

8-  Two thousand six hundred fifteen "inspiring" models who only want to "change
     women's self-image" see the ads and post TF casting calls on MM, OMP and
     Craig's list.

And, as the French say, "Volila!"  We have a new fashion in fashion. 

At least that's the way I see it happening.

Sep 07 13 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Four-Eleven Productions

Fircrest, Washington, US

Somebody around here reduced it to, "Glamour is about 'Fuck Me', while Fashion is about 'Fuck You.'"

Sep 07 13 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

F-1 Photo

New York, New York, US

My specialty is pinup. It's all about having fun!

Sep 07 13 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Four-Eleven Productions wrote:
Somebody around here reduced it to, "Glamour is about 'Fuck Me', while Fashion is about 'Fuck You.'"

I like this.

And.... most people can't fake a smile so instead of having a bunch of dumb looks on their faces they just have either a blank  or pissed look.

Sep 07 13 01:12 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Yeah, this is why I don't do fashion (besides the obvious height and weight issue)

Sep 07 13 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Green Grape

West Paterson, New Jersey, US

Smiling will make it look as if its a personal portrait. Causes Less focus on the product.

Sep 07 13 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

Personally I think it's cool as hell.  So while the original intent is most likely to not distract from the clothing, I think it has morphed into just plain cool.  The better a model is at it the cooler and edgier it gets.

Sep 07 13 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Liquid Lace Studios

Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia

Kool Koncepts wrote:

I think this is bang on the money

Sep 07 13 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Kool Koncepts wrote:

The model is just supposed to be  a clothes hanger and nothing more.  If they smile your attention may be drawn to their face and you won't look at the clothes.

Sep 07 13 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Hi_Spade Photography

Florence, South Carolina, US

Kool Koncepts wrote:

If this is true, why pay a model to wear the clothes? Why not just buy a mannequin and build a platform on wheels and just roll the mannequin down the runway?

Sep 07 13 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hi_Spade Photography wrote:

If this is true, why pay a model to wear the clothes? Why not just buy a mannequin and build a platform on wheels and just roll the mannequin down the runway?

People that may buy the clothes aspire to look like the models since the models present a complete look; clothes, accessories, shoes, etc.  No one aspires to look like a lifeless dummy.

Sep 07 13 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Hi_Spade Photography

Florence, South Carolina, US

Top Gun Digital wrote:

People that may buy the clothes aspire to look like the models since the models present a complete look; clothes, accessories, shoes, etc.  No one aspires to look like a lifeless dummy.

Which goes back to the "not smiling" thing. Maybe hire some "zombies"? Seems that's popular now and people seem to "aspire" to be one of those.

Sep 07 13 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Hikari Tech Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

IMAGINERIES wrote:
Why is it that, in the fashion world 90% of the time, the models
have to look, pissed, annoyed at something or hate what they are doing! Or is it starvation that get them in this mood?
Considering what some have to wear...Could be the reason.
I am thinking runways.... not Victoria's!!
Editors request?

Yeah, I'd say not being able to eat what you REALLY want to eat when you want to eat would make me look like I'm choked about something. Then again, 'attitude' is part of the lure, "you like this?... well, you can't have this".

Sep 07 13 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Hikari Tech Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Yeah, I could see that on a hand bag costing $2000+ hmm

Sep 07 13 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Lucinda Wedge

Littlerock, California, US

There's plenty of "fuck me" fashion looks as well.  It's not just in glamour.  Look in some European jeans ads and fashion editorials.  Very "fuck me" looks.  There are also smiling, jumping, having fun fashion editorial shoots.  While, I agree, MOST of the fashion editorials have deer in the headlights or pissed off or something of interest in their facial expressions, not all are that way.  Because it is about the clothes.  But, there is plenty of variety in fashion from American to European to Asian magazines.  They run the gamut of looks.

Sep 07 13 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

devpics

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I think one of the problems is that some Models/Photogs think that because the bigtime fashion model shots look serious, EVERYTHING they do has to look serious, they don't quite understand about context

Sep 08 13 12:17 am Link