Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Can someone help with a color problem CS6

Photographer

Rick Dupuis Photography

Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada

I am working on a project and am running into a problem that I didn't think would be a problem at all when I started.
I need to put together some graphics that will be printed on vinyl... But the colors have to be flat. Can someone give me some ideas for making my greens, tans and browns look like flat colors when printed? All I'm getting are bright glossy colors when having them printed on the vinyl.
Thanks

Sep 08 13 05:40 am Link

Photographer

rickspix

Vallejo, California, US

Rick Dupuis Photography wrote:
I am working on a project and am running into a problem that I didn't think would be a problem at all when I started.
I need to put together some graphics that will be printed on vinyl... But the colors have to be flat. Can someone give me some ideas for making my greens, tans and browns look like flat colors when printed? All I'm getting are bright glossy colors when having them printed on the vinyl.
Thanks[/quote

maybe it is the vinyl surface that is glossy? just like using glossy paper instead of matte paper

Sep 08 13 06:00 am Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Rick Dupuis Photography wrote:
All I'm getting are bright glossy colors when having them printed on the vinyl.

There's glossy and matte vinyl. Which are you using?

Sep 08 13 06:27 am Link

Photographer

Rick Dupuis Photography

Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada

Ok, I'll be honest. I wasn't aware of two kinds of vinyl. I sent the order to them and they printed them. I do think it was glossy vinyl both times. I'll speak to them tomorrow. I thought it was something I should do prior to sending the artwork to the printer. Thank you.

Sep 08 13 10:13 am Link

Photographer

epsilon images

Bellevue, Washington, US

What you need is a color profile for the inks they will be using.  Ask them if they have an .icc file.
Then you need to add it to Photoshop.
Then you click ctrl-Y in Photoshop (view proof color).

I am skipping a few steps here.  Try googling "color proofing photoshop".
This is not a trivial topic and you'll need a very well calibrated monitor to visualize the color change.
With vinyl I've had reasonably good luck with just turning saturation down about 5 units, but this is by no means accurate enough for serious work.

Good luck.

Sep 13 13 09:24 am Link