Rudolph Uhlman

Salem, Oregon, US

Please Critique this image.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130831/23/5222e07458ef3_m.jpg

Sep 13 13 07:21 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Barber

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

My eyes are drawn to the face and upper body; but quickly find there is nothing interesting there to look at and move to the knees, shins, and feet.  The exposure is great, I just don't see "what is the photograph about" when I look at it.  I have one of those in my portfolio and will probably take it out soon.

Sep 13 13 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Rudolph Uhlman

Salem, Oregon, US

Christopher Barber wrote:
My eyes are drawn to the face and upper body; but quickly find there is nothing interesting there to look at and move to the knees, shins, and feet.  The exposure is great, I just don't see "what is the photograph about" when I look at it.  I have one of those in my portfolio and will probably take it out soon.

What are you looking for when you ask "what the photograph about?"

Sep 13 13 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Rudolph Uhlman

Salem, Oregon, US

Anyone else willing to critique this photo? I am truly interested in what you have to say. If you want I will critique a photo of yours in return.

Sep 13 13 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Love the tonalities, pose, expression, model-chosen, exposure and the b&w.

Regarding the highlight on the right arm and whatever its hand is holding--I think it would have been a stronger photo if that brightest light was shifted to the face and maybe spill to the bible or whatever that thing is.

A critique of any of mine would be fine.

Sep 13 13 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

epsilon images

Bellevue, Washington, US

Lovely photo in general.  If you want some critique (and this strictly my tastes)
1) Her right hand is too bright and looks like it's emerging from nothingness
2) Finger positioning of the left hand is a little strange
3) I would prefer less light on her legs to emphasize her upper body a little more.

/dmitry/

Sep 13 13 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Rudolph Uhlman

Salem, Oregon, US

Toto Photo wrote:
Love the tonalities, pose, expression, model-chosen, exposure and the b&w.

Regarding the highlight on the right arm and whatever its hand is holding--I think it would have been a stronger photo if that brightest light was shifted to the face and maybe spill to the bible or whatever that thing is.

A critique of any of mine would be fine.

Thanks you for the input. I agree that it still needs a little work. I will take your notes into consideration.

You have a great portfolio and some really nice work. I am choosing to critiques  this image https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110509/00/4dc795d7c9788_m.jpg
I like the expression of the model. For me the background is a little cluttered and the reflection (really bright spot) is distracting. The Crossed arms bring most of the focus where one would expect.

Thanks again for the critique.

Sep 13 13 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Rudolph Uhlman

Salem, Oregon, US

epsilon images wrote:
Lovely photo in general.  If you want some critique (and this strictly my tastes)
1) Her right hand is too bright and looks like it's emerging from nothingness
2) Finger positioning of the left hand is a little strange
3) I would prefer less light on her legs to emphasize her upper body a little more.

/dmitry/

Thanks for the critique I value your opinions and will take them into consideration when I work on this image.

Sep 13 13 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

itaj

Columbus, Georgia, US

PROS:  It's close to the trash can.

CONS:  Her eyes look sick, knees squared off and rugged looking, out of focus, no idea what she is doing with a book, so bad concept...  What?   Did she read that book and strip???  Hair not utilized to any profit. 

Look, whoever you are...   You have GOT to have a better shot than this from the session.   How dare you post this weird looking $%^$ anywhere?

We all take bad shots...  keep stuff like this to yourself!

Now get back out there, find that good looking woman again, shoot her again GRASSHOPPER, and don't let her down!

You will continue to shoot her, until you impress ME.  Once you impress me, you will be ready young Jedi!

...geez I hope this person takes this well...   but if not, oh well, life is Rough!

Sep 13 13 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Rudolph Uhlman

Salem, Oregon, US

itaj wrote:
PROS:  It's close to the trash can.

CONS:  Her eyes look sick, knees squared off and rugged looking, out of focus, no idea what she is doing with a book, so bad concept...  What?   Did she read that book and strip???  Hair not utilized to any profit. 

Look, whoever you are...   You have GOT to have a better shot than this from the session.   How dare you post this weird looking $%^$ anywhere?

We all take bad shots...  keep stuff like this to yourself!

Now get back out there, find that good looking woman again, shoot her again GRASSHOPPER, and don't let her down!

You will continue to shoot her, until you impress ME.  Once you impress me, you will be ready young Jedi!

...geez I hope this person takes this well...   but if not, oh well, life is Rough!

While mostly unhelpful, thank you for your comments. Is there and image of yours would like me to critique?

Sep 13 13 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

When people tell you not to post this photo it is because they are seeing something that the shoot euphoria may have blinded you to. I don't get excited when I shoot. I actually don't LOVE photography (I enjoy it but not deeply) and this gives me an advantage in evaluating one of my shots. 

You may have liked her physique and enjoyed her abdomen. Whatever happened you were so thrilled that you can't see that whatever progress you felt you made in technique, such as dark background is underdone by poor technique, angle and composition. I don't know what you were telling the model to do.

So, breaking it down for you will probably not help you. Take the image down and then don't look at it for ten days. Then look it and ask yourself: "What is wrong."

I don't need a critique, thank you.

Sep 13 13 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

The eyes are drawn to her right-side upper body. Why are you leading the eyes there?
The lighting overall is completely bland.  Everything is a diffused gray.
Put light where you want the viewer's eye to go.
Use light to model the subject and create contrast.
Better luck next time.

Sep 13 13 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Rudolph Uhlman

Salem, Oregon, US

LA StarShooter wrote:
When people tell you not to post this photo it is because they are seeing something that the shoot euphoria may have blinded you to. I don't get excited when I shoot. I actually don't LOVE photography (I enjoy it but not deeply) and this gives me an advantage in evaluating one of my shots. 

You may have liked her physique and enjoyed her abdomen. Whatever happened you were so thrilled that you can't see that whatever progress you felt you made in technique, such as dark background is underdone by poor technique, angle and composition. I don't know what you were telling the model to do.

So, breaking it down for you will probably not help you. Take the image down and then don't look at it for ten days. Then look it and ask yourself: "What is wrong."

I don't need a critique, thank you.

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
The eyes are drawn to her right-side upper body. Why are you leading the eyes there?
The lighting overall is completely bland.  Everything is a diffused gray.
Put light where you want the viewer's eye to go.
Use light to model the subject and create contrast.
Better luck next time.

Thank you both for your insight.

Sep 13 13 08:39 pm Link