Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Chris Berman's father died ... :(

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/296800- … ther-dies/

I know a lot of people don't like him for whatever reason, but I wouldn't wish this kind of thing on anyone. Just for the record, I used to enjoy listening to him talk about football. The noises he made and all the references to other things in relationship to a player or coaches name.

For instance, there was Curtis "my favorite" Martin
Eddie "eat, drink and be" Murray
Steve "forever" Young
Marshall, Marshall, Marshall
John Carney, Audrey Meadows, Sheila McCray .... goodnight everybody!!

I'm sure he has new ones I don't know about since I haven't watched football since 2005 ... but I feel for the guy.

Sep 23 13 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Reel Avenue

Los Angeles, California, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/296800- … ther-dies/

I know a lot of people don't like him for whatever reason, but I wouldn't wish this kind of thing on anyone. Just for the record, I used to enjoy listening to him talk about football. The noises he made and all the references to other things in relationship to a player or coaches name.

For instance, there was Curtis "my favorite" Martin
Eddie "eat, drink and be" Murray
Steve "forever" Young
Marshall, Marshall, Marshall
John Carney, Audrey Meadows, Sheila McCray .... goodnight everybody!!

I'm sure he has new ones I don't know about since I haven't watched football since 2005 ... but I feel for the guy.

I was waiting for a tasteless joke but it didnt happen.  RIP.

Sep 24 13 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

A sportscaster's dad died. Why is that news?

Sep 25 13 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Compass Rose Studios

Portland, Oregon, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Thinking the same thing...

Sep 25 13 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

I am not trying to be tactless or insensitive, but... neither do I know Chris Berman, nor do I know his father.

I am sure it's sad news to the family members and friends who actually knew him (the dad), but... well, what can I say... said too much already.

Sep 25 13 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

udor wrote:
I am not trying to be tactless or insensitive, but... neither do I know Chris Berman, nor do I know his father.

I am sure it's sad news to the family members and friends who actually knew him (the dad), but... well, what can I say... said too much already.

x100

Sep 25 13 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Naughty Ties

Riverview, Florida, US

Awww...that's a shame but part of life. I remember when ESPN was a fledgling network and listening to Berman, he always made me laugh with the creative names he used for players and he helpled make ESPN what it is today...the greatest network on the planet.

Sorry to hear his dad died...I guess "He couldn't...go...all...the...way!" And I don't mean that in a mocking way....just a tribute to a great sportscaster. smile

Sep 25 13 01:06 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Because human lives matter?

Sep 25 13 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Chris Berman is someone I've heard of who is likely not feeling all that well right now. No matter who one is, what religion they practice (if they practice one), how much money they have or what their job is, this kind of thing is potentially devastating ... unless one doesn't give a flying f**k about anyone but themselves.

I was hoping it would inspire some others to appreciate their parents while they're still here and to remember the good things about them if they're gone.  My apologies if some don't get it.

Sep 25 13 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
I was hoping it would inspire some others to appreciate their parents while they're still here and to remember the good things about them if they're gone.  My apologies if some don't get it.

My mom died 1980, got killed in the hospital.

My father has been causing a lot of grief to the people close to him, I saved two of his wife's lives when they attempted suicide.

Sometimes, things have to be closed.

Has nothing to do with "not getting it", because if you start to care about and being affected by the misfortune and death of every single person on this planet, you will become insane and it won't help ANYBODY!

Sep 25 13 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

udor wrote:
My mom died 1980, got killed in the hospital.

My father has been causing a lot of grief to the people close to him, I saved two of his wife's lives when they attempted suicide.

Sometimes, things have to be closed.

Has nothing to do with "not getting it", because if you start to care about and being affected by the misfortune and death of every single person on this planet, you will become insane and it won't help ANYBODY!

Just maybe you aren't part of the some that don't get it, then.

Sep 25 13 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kerrek

Orlando, Florida, US

Sep 25 13 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kerrek

Orlando, Florida, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
...this kind of thing is potentially devastating ... unless one doesn't give a flying f**k about anyone but themselves.

So...

not caring about other people's drama = selfish
Being hostile towards the opinions of others who disagree with you = ?

Sep 25 13 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

Because human lives matter?

So why don't we have news crammed with stories of so many other people dying of natural causes? There must be dozens of everyday people dying each day. Dozens, I tell you!

Sep 25 13 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:

I didn't know Chris Berman's dad meant so much to you. My condolences.

Sep 25 13 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Michael Kerrek wrote:
So...

not caring about other people's drama = selfish
Being hostile towards the opinions of others who disagree with you = ?

I'll try to be more clear in spelling it out. It's not about caring about someone else's drama. It's about empathizing with/for them and realizing that in half a heartbeat, you could be in this situation (perhaps again). It's not selfish to not care about Chris Berman's father ... but I think it is selfish to take people for granted, not caring if they live or die and then being completely devastated when they do die. It's up to the individual to decide who they want to be and how they want to live. What decision(s) they make is none of my business. I was just sharing what I know and how I feel about it. No one has to agree.

I don't see where I was hostile about anyone else's opinion, agree or disagree, so I can't comment on that.

Just for the record ... I'm curious if this got this kind of reaction because I posted it or some other reason as other people post things about people dying and it doesn't get nearly this passionate. No one has to answer but I am curious.

Sep 25 13 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
It's not about caring about someone else's drama. It's about empathizing with/for them and realizing that in half a heartbeat, you could be in this situation (perhaps again).

When I read the headline... I checked, because I thought maybe it's the father of a photographer on MM.

If that would have been the case, I can tell you that the emphatic reaction would have been there from me... because that would have been the father of a member of our community and we would have some sort of a connection...

But... I really had no idea who Chris Berman is, since I have no connection to him whatsoever, it's not "hitting me" that hard... am I making sense?

Sep 25 13 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

udor wrote:
When I read the headline... I checked, because I thought maybe it's the father of a photographer on MM.

If that would have been the case, I can tell you that the emphatic reaction would have been there from me... because that would have been the father of a member of our community and we would have some sort of a connection...

But... I really had no idea who Chris Berman is, since I have no connection to him whatsoever, it's not "hitting me" that hard... am I making sense?

Yes and no, you're making/not making sense.  Here's why I say this: Chris Berman is not part of the MM community that I know of, but he is a member of the community. I don't live in the same city or even state that he does, but he's still my "neighbor". To illustrate, if I set off a nuclear bomb at my house, would it affect people who live in, say, Japan? More than likely, yes. Does that make Japanese people my neighbor? For me, it does.

I know there are many sports fans here on MM. I don't know how one can be a sports fan and not watch ESPN unless one doesn't have cable or satellite tv. 

I'm not going to say I cried my eyes out because I didn't. The connection isn't that strong. The connection is there, though, as he's a fellow human being, someone I've watched for many years, and had an event happen that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

As I said, a person doesn't have to agree with me or feel as I do. I just put it out there. If no one responded at all, I wouldn't have lost a minute's sleep.

Sep 25 13 08:22 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
So why don't we have news crammed with stories of so many other people dying of natural causes? There must be dozens of everyday people dying each day. Dozens, I tell you!

You really don't understand why it makes the news when someone in the public eye (or related to someone who is) dies?

Sep 25 13 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

You really don't understand why it makes the news when someone in the public eye (or related to someone who is) dies?

I didn't think Chris Berman's father was in the public eye. Please explain it to me, oh Bodhisattva.

Sep 25 13 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Andialu

San Pedro, California, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

Orca Bay Images wrote:
I didn't think Chris Berman's father was in the public eye. Please explain it to me, oh Bodhisattva.

Meditate on these 6 words, grasshopper.

https://www.digitallard.co.uk/images/dvd%20review/content420/kungfu22.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP02RvMOSXU

Sep 26 13 10:43 am Link