Forums > Model Colloquy > Models in college

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I finished 3 years of marketing and media communications this past April.  I took a bit of photography as part of the media program and fell in love with it.  I also love editing and writing.  I'm going to be doing some blog writing for a small art gallery in the New Year.  I would like to pursue photography more;  I have a pretty good camera, but I need more equipment.

Nov 20 13 07:10 am Link

Photographer

Camabs

Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands

Eugenya wrote:
I would like to pursue photography more;  I have a pretty good camera, but I need more equipment.

By saying that, you ruined the image of smart models that this thread so carefully established. wink

Slightly more on topic: I have worked with models of different levels of education and have never fallen into the trap of thinking that pretty women can't be smart. I have also learnt however that not all higher educated people are smart and vice versa.

Nov 20 13 07:27 am Link

Photographer

Rope Couture

Stow, Massachusetts, US

No joke, Resident Evil got me into molecular biology. Perhaps one day I will recreate the T virus.

Hah!  You are now on the top of my "worth the trip" list to shoot with in CA.  My degree is cell-molec, lots of Xenopus stories, I still wanna make a dragon.

I have a model friend with a PhD in engrg from MIT, and there is one on Zivity with a civil engrg degree, who has been in Playboy in europe.

Nov 20 13 07:46 am Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't appreciate comments like this. 

Camabs wrote:

By saying that, you ruined the image of smart models that this thread so carefully established. wink

Slightly more on topic: I have worked with models of different levels of education and have never fallen into the trap of thinking that pretty women can't be smart. I have also learnt however that not all higher educated people are smart and vice versa.

Nov 20 13 09:24 am Link

Artist/Painter

Crees Cove

Milledgeville, Georgia, US

I use professional quality markers (they're about 5 bucks per marker). I have a limited color palette, because of that (I normally get them as gifts at Christmas/birthday). so yeah, I can understand wanting more equipment.

Nov 20 13 09:30 am Link

Model

90s sub pop records

Livermore, California, US

Crees Cove wrote:
I use professional quality markers (they're about 5 bucks per marker). I have a limited color palette, because of that (I normally get them as gifts at Christmas/birthday). so yeah, I can understand wanting more equipment.

I just use Crayola. tongue

But then again, I'm not a serious artist.

Nov 20 13 09:14 pm Link

Model

Elektra Yu

Prague, Prague, Czech Republic

I'm straight out of uni and I did Translation (Eng-Chi) as major and Italian and Music minor. smile
No intention in becoming a translator for now and working on my modelling career which I think it's a pretty right thing to do as modelling is perishable.
I plan to work on it when I'm still young and move on to something else later.

High Five if you're doing the same thing.

Nov 21 13 03:19 am Link

Model

Elektra Yu

Prague, Prague, Czech Republic

The is a (female) professor at my uni is actually a former model and is married to a HK celebrity............. I'm awed.

Nov 21 13 03:21 am Link

Model

90s sub pop records

Elektra Yu wrote:
The is a (female) professor at my uni is actually a former model and is married to a HK celebrity............. I'm awed.

My high school principal was a former model. She always wore heels, small ones though.

Nov 21 13 09:13 am Link

Model

Phane

Rockville, Maryland, US

Social Work! the idea is to help Veterans!
Huge passion of mine

Nov 21 13 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Seste Proleterske

Sarajevo, Federacija Bosna i Hercegovina, Bosnia and Herzegovina

I have masters in sociology

Nov 22 13 04:25 am Link

Model

AdrianaM

New York, New York, US

i study philosophy smile

Nov 22 13 04:15 pm Link

Model

Rylan Sper

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

geological engineering smile

Nov 22 13 04:22 pm Link

Model

Inertia Creeps

Sunnyvale, California, US

Neurobiology/Neuroscience & Premed

I've almost become fluent in reading medical journals. I'm not bragging, but science is my hobby. Optogenetics is a study I'm highly interested in at the moment. Generally, anything that has to do with the hippocampus and memory processing. I've also wanted to study cognitive science: scientific philosophy is exciting.
Optogenetics is a study that correlates to both topics. It's incredible.

I'm hoping to transfer to UC Davis or Berkeley.
Modeling is my way to pay for my passion for at least another couple of years...

Nov 22 13 04:33 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

The Trousseau

Sheridan, Montana, US

Eh.  Models that can't keep up are not our type.  During a shoot, we want to discuss world politics, sing opera, mimic Alfred Cheney Johnson, quote June Newton and commiserate with Ballenciaga when he quite designing. 

Bring on the smart girls.  You bring what we want to a shoot. 

But most importantly, bring your sense of humor.

Nov 22 13 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

ImagineAerie

Plano, Texas, US

Eugenya wrote:
I don't appreciate comments like this. 

I sincerely don't believe these comments were meant to be depreciative, however flippant they may have been!  The double entendre of "equipment" was likely intended to be more of a compliment, however clumsily delivered.  You are an attractive model, whatever else you may be.

The comment regarding "educated" people rings true with me.  Some of the most highly "educated" people I know (PhD's, in a couple of instances) are also the most ignorant and foolish.  I've come to realize that we are all ignorant, just about different things.

Equally, I've encountered individuals who, though they were incredibly attractive physically, were also the ugliest people you might imagine, and less than "beautiful" subjects who's hearts were aglow with happiness and compassion.

I think the point in both cases is that the gift within may not be reflected in the wrapping.

Off my soapbox.  Back to thread.

Nov 22 13 04:55 pm Link

Model

Amber Tench

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

No Uni for me! I feel left out sad
I dropped out of high school so I could work... then went back and got my GED, scoring top 1% of the country (yay!) then took Veterinary Assistant - with honours, then Business Management, now currently working on Auto Mechanics.
Jill of all trades big_smile

Nov 22 13 06:41 pm Link

Model

SeaStar

San Diego, California, US

Liberal Arts - Art Studies

Both fine art and graphic design smile

Nov 22 13 06:53 pm Link

Model

Serena Rachel Ways

Seattle, Washington, US

I am a Psychology major looking to get my Masters in Mental Health Counseling when I graduate.

Nov 22 13 07:05 pm Link

Model

90s sub pop records

Federica Mansfield wrote:
i study biology smile

What's your favorite part about biology? I like human biology... and physiology.

Nov 23 13 11:49 am Link

Model

AdrianaM

New York, New York, US

it's the same for me...human biology it's super!

Nov 24 13 06:22 am Link

Model

Oceandamour

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Pre- Med Biology with a minor in Chemistry! smile

Dec 03 13 10:44 am Link

Model

90s sub pop records

Oceandamour wrote:
Pre- Med Biology with a minor in Chemistry! smile

wouldn't that just be a biology major? because pre med just refers to a bunch of classes required for med school, not an actual major.

Dec 03 13 09:50 pm Link

Model

Sarah Velez

Laguna Niguel, California, US

Creative writing!

Which I know you don't need a major in to be successful at, but I just loved being surrounded by people who were as passionate about reading and writing as I was.

Dec 04 13 01:18 pm Link

Model

Michelle Genevieve

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

Phane wrote:
Social Work! the idea is to help Veterans!
Huge passion of mine

Ditto!  I'm starting my Master's in Social Work next month.

Dec 09 13 01:58 pm Link

Model

Shilo Von Porcelaine

Los Angeles, California, US

Costume design wee!

Dec 09 13 02:57 pm Link

Model

Phane

Rockville, Maryland, US

Michelle Genevieve wrote:

Ditto!  I'm starting my Master's in Social Work next month.

great area!

Dec 09 13 03:34 pm Link

Model

Emily Smiles

Columbia, South Carolina, US

Hospitality and Tourism Management with a Specialization in Event Management and Club Management (i.e. Country Clubs/Business Clubs)

And I'm graduating early!!

Dec 09 13 06:26 pm Link

Model

Shei P

Brooklyn, New York, US

Biochemistry here!!!  genomics, enzymes, DNA,RNA...my my! smile

Dec 09 13 06:54 pm Link

Model

Cheryl Jay

Gainesville, Florida, US

I'm a nursing major but I'm on a research team for the NICU and I work a full-time job on the side.

Dec 09 13 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Seste Proleterske

Sarajevo, Federacija Bosna i Hercegovina, Bosnia and Herzegovina

I'm thrilled to see that models didn't forget about the time after modeling and studying hard beside their modeling career.

like someone above said, we, men and photographers of all genders, do not think that models are dumb - at least I never did.

the body and the brain, killing combination wink

I'm proud of you, girls and boys.

Dec 10 13 01:42 am Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Galveston, Texas, US

Rylan Sper wrote:
geological engineering smile

Something of a related to field to my work.

Dec 10 13 02:25 am Link

Model

Deleted000000000000

Addieville, Illinois, US

Working on a Bachelor's in Chemistry. Hoping to get at a Cosmetic Chem job at some point. Taking a fragrance class right now and it's pretty interesting! Lots of Physical and Polymer Chem involved in it.

Dec 10 13 02:15 pm Link

Model

Shei P

Brooklyn, New York, US

Lordli Cosplay wrote:
Working on a Bachelor's in Chemistry. Hoping to get at a Cosmetic Chem job at some point. Taking a fragrance class right now and it's pretty interesting! Lots of Physical and Polymer Chem involved in it.

Sweet!!
question:
Which of the following is an important reactive electrophile in aromatic ring nitration?
A) NO2(+)
B) NO(+)
C) N2(+)
D) N2O(+)

Dec 10 13 05:52 pm Link

Model

Mia DeRosa

Clearwater, Florida, US

Right on!
Freshman.
smile

Dec 10 13 10:27 pm Link

Model

Carmilla Jo

Oakland, California, US

It's wonderful to see many fellow models in the science major.

I'm majoring in molecular cell biology, and minoring in creative writing.

Dec 14 13 11:32 am Link

Model

Axioma

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

I graduated in june smile.
I've got a BA and MA in criminology and a MA from business school in human resource management.

Dec 14 13 11:39 am Link

Model

CHANEL LAUREN

San Diego, California, US

Hospitality Administration & Management smile!
Studied two years of Graphic Design prior in good ole' San Francisco

Dec 15 13 11:18 am Link

Model

Courtney L Cameron

Los Angeles, California, US

Business and a minor in Fashion Journalism smile I would love to open up my own Modeling Agency in the South or start a fashion magazine!

Dec 15 13 11:23 am Link

Model

Cherry Von Bandersnatch

Columbus, Ohio, US

Katie Pagani wrote:
Nursing

Same here!!! :-)

Dec 15 13 11:24 am Link