Forums > Critique > Critique that won't quit.

Photographer

cheshiredave

Oakland, California, US

Curious for your thoughts, thanks!

Apr 26 14 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Shatter Leaf

Houston, Texas, US

I'm in!   Loads of new photos, would love to hear if you like any.

Apr 29 14 09:49 am Link

Model

Jasmin-Mercedes

Austin, Texas, US

New to this, would love an unbiased opinion on my profile so far!

Apr 29 14 11:12 am Link

Model

NothingnesssEver

New York, New York, US

Your help would be kindly appreciated! smile

Apr 29 14 11:20 am Link

Photographer

edgystyle

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ella Wilkes Photography wrote:
So I see a lot of threads on here offering 'critique' or advice on what impression your profile leaves and I also see a lot of trolls, cruel people and OP's who seem to get bored. So as they say, can't beat them, join them.

So I would like to offer a honest critique, one where if I don't agree with your style you won't be insulted but your talent and work genuinely assessed.

I don't claim to have all of the technical knowledge but I know art when I see it. I spent my childhood in galleries and libraries enthralled with the magic that I could find, I danced at folk festivals, sung in massive show and studied fashion design for years until my sewing skills failed me. Now days I run an arts management company which my photography is a branch of and I run many fetish events for women.

So if you would like a review/critique from the artistic side of this industry then post below. A simple post will get you a critique of your images but if you feel up to "liking" my facebook page www.facebook.com/EllaWilkesPhotography then I'll take a look at your whole profile.

I don't claim to know everything, this will be MY open and honest blunt opinion, others may not agree but that is fine by me. I will always do my best to get back to this thread even if it gets carried away and if I miss you please say so.

Have a lovely day smile

Whoa! your port is Scary good!
I'd welcome your opinion on as many pics in my port as you feel like critiquing....smile
thanks in advance

May 01 14 01:05 am Link

Model

Shirin Brigitte

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I am in. Got a like.

May 03 14 05:06 am Link

Photographer

KeithWJordan

Boynton Beach, Florida, US

Don't have many in my port but I'm getting there. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance for your time.

May 03 14 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Fred Scholpp photo

Norge, Virginia, US

I'd love to get your feedback on mine, still feeling pretty "Newbie" about it.

May 05 14 04:03 pm Link

Model

hauscat

Rochester, New Hampshire, US

sure

May 06 14 04:43 am Link

Model

Brittany Renea

Austin, Texas, US

I needs it:)

May 06 14 08:34 am Link

Model

Frederique Goud

Purmerend, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Would love to hear your critique! I think it will help me a lot! Xxx

May 06 14 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

I apologize again for my delay in reponses, I have recently had a few personal issues and surgery but I swear EVERYONE will get a reply (and I will comment on or list an image of yours when I get to you so you know I have done you)
thank you all for your patience! smile

May 08 14 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

JDH Productions

Owasso, Oklahoma, US

I'm definitely curious what you think.

May 08 14 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

edgystyle

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I apologize again for my delay in reponses, I have recently had a few personal issues and surgery but I swear EVERYONE will get a reply (and I will comment on or list an image of yours when I get to you so you know I have done you)
thank you all for your patience! smile

Get well fast!

May 09 14 05:42 pm Link

Model

Jaye Ashay

Sacramento, California, US

I'm always open to honesty, let me have it smile

May 10 14 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Jay Hooker Images wrote:
Liked your page and sent you a message.

Hi smile
thanks and sorry for the delay as I have said above have had some health issues to deal with.

Now your profile,
Your BIO is great, it's short sweet and to the point, you out line your intentions with it and that's always a bonus, maybe throw in a bit about what genres you really love?
Also, even tho credits are great but a list that is too long makes the veiwer feel a little overwhelmed by it being such a dramatic scroll down, visually is counteracts your to the point bio smile

Your images
ok will pick first and compliment second wink
I have said it before and will do so again,  I don't really get collages. There are very very few I like because unless there is a story then ot is really just some images slapped together. It confuses the viewers eye and takes away from the strength of the images as individuals, I really love the middle shot but the rest of them seem to sap that beauty and simple strength.

I would also maybe suggest and Avi change, the image I have listed and commented on I think is your strongest shot. It is amazingly framed and the combination of the dress and angle at which you shot is amazing!

All in all though I find your port really enjoyable to look at, have a lovely day and sorry again for the delay smile

Jun 24 14 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Annie  S wrote:
Would love some feedback! Thanks!

Hi smile sorry for the delay.
You have a very sweet port. I am not much of a commercial photographer so I am unsure on what help I can be critique wise, but I will say this, try not to have doubles. For eg, I'd ditch the green dress with the white chair, it is no where near as nice as the other in the same dress. Also the B&W pearls portrait I would get rid of too, the colour and full length are so much nicer. Otherwise you are a good commercial model with a sweet port smile

Jun 24 14 04:27 pm Link

Model

Joshua Williams

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Sure if you have time!

Jun 24 14 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

** IF ANYONE IS MISSED PLEASE SAY SO!** I am doing my best to catch up but I have confused myself slightly and I promise you will be a priority if you are missed smile

Jun 24 14 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Ruth Gray wrote:
How am I doing?

Better than I expected honestly and by that I mean that avi doesn't do your skill justice. Dance like elegance is obviously your strength and I think your avi should represent that strength. If you really want a head shot tho I think this is much stronger, https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/33018705 but I still love your dance style images.
I have said to other this same thing try not to have too many images that are similar, you want to show as much diversity as possible, like your last three, they are all amazing images but they are all very similar.

You have a great port and wonderful skill with your body well done.

Jun 24 14 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Rachel A Murray wrote:
I'm a novice, so I would like to hear from someone with your experience.

Hi Rachel,
I can see that but you have great potential.
Your eyes are gorgeous and engaging and you have a good body for modeling. I don't understand some of your images, the red heart/hat doesn't shown your beauty and the one next to it the green tone makes you look a little "take me to your leader". I wouldn't say they are strong.
Otherwise you are on a good path, keep it up, practice in front of the mirror until you feel silly and do as much TFP as you can.
Good luck on your journey smile

Jun 24 14 04:48 pm Link

Model

MissKatieMarie

Sarasota, Florida, US

I'm still a little new, I'd love feedback on what I've done so far and what I can do better!

Jun 24 14 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jenny Gavin-Wear

Derby, England, United Kingdom

I don't claim to have all of the technical knowledge but I know art when I see it.

With the greatest of respect, 90% what you have just said is a load of bollocks.

If I say I know art when I see it and I think your stuff is bad when I basically just don't like it (no offence intended, and my opinions on it aren't relevant to my reply) and therefore it's not artistic.

What one person, or even a group of people, sees as art is absolutely not a definition of art.  It is an expression of personal preference.

When getting a critique one of the most important factors is that you value the opinion and respect whoever is giving the critique.  There is no way I would ask you to critique my work because (again, no offence intended), I wouldn't give a damn what you thought. Equally, I am sure you wouldn't take much notice if I told you that your work is poor art and quite right, too.

Jun 24 14 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Jenny Gavin-Wear

You really do! Beautiful work! I think your work is so beautiful, it reminds me of the gallery pieces that inspired me as a teen to go down this path, especially here! https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/34742939 that pose andthe angle at which you have shot is glorious. I am lost in it. I would maybe suggest trimming your port a little, there are a few duplicates and ones that feel a little like duplicates and it takes the viewer away from the stunning work.
Your outdoor shots are beautiful and you obviously use varied light sources and its lovely diversity.

Excuse me, but apart from "duplicates", you have actually said absolutely nothing.  You are giving people a completely misguided view about their work which is based purely on your personal preference, a whim.

Various light sources: wow, that's unusual in a portfolio.
Pose and angle:  subjective and not substantiated.

If you are going to set yourself up as a critique, learn how to critique and stop using such vacuous language without reason or substance. 

I read about three pages without seeing a single mention of composition. 
You mention light, but you don't mention shadow.  One without the other is meaningless.
You gave no views on depth, perspective, dimension, anything at all that would actually be useful.
You gave no indication of any informed understanding of the technical elements of a photo.

The more I read your pointless "critiques"  the more incensed I became.

Unbelievable .. in every sense.

Jun 24 14 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Joseph William

Chicago, Illinois, US

Take a look

Jun 24 14 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

HO Photo

Los Angeles, California, US

Jenny Gavin-Wear wrote:
Excuse me, but apart from "duplicates", you have actually said absolutely nothing.  You are giving people a completely misguided view about their work which is based purely on your personal preference, a whim.

If you are going to set yourself up as a critique, learn how to critique and stop using such vacuous language without reason or substance. 

You mention light, but you don't mention shadow.  One without the other is meaningless.
You gave no views on depth, perspective, dimension, anything at all that would actually be useful.
You gave no indication of any informed understanding of the technical elements of a photo.

That is not how this works. Somebody started a thread offering their OPINION, nothing more or less than that. If you can't take it gracefully, you shouldn't ask in the first place. Nobody forced you. If you ask someone for it and it turns out you don't LIKE their opinion (or think it's baseless), just ignore it and move on.

Don't have a little fit. It's lame.

Jun 25 14 01:22 am Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

"I don't claim to know everything, this will be MY open and honest blunt opinion, others may not agree but that is fine by me."

Jun 25 14 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

BlueBrandy wrote:
would love to hear your opinion, "from the artistic side of this industry" smile

Firstly let me apologize as my edit said I have had some personal health issues get in the way of being able to catch up on this.

Your collection of images is truly stunning. You have a real awareness of your body and your muscle control is spectacular. I think your black and white work is a little stronger than your colour but that could be due to the photog.

You have a lovely natural look that is refreshing and you always find the light source well and avoid harsh shadowing on your face.

I really enjoyed your port and I think you are a stunning art nude model! Best of luck with your future smile

Jun 26 14 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Anneliese Y Photography wrote:
Give your honesty which jewels should I keep?

Hi Annelise smile (sorry for my delay)
I can see the backbone of a great port here. You obviously have a great eye and I love how bright and colorful your port is.
You do fashion very well and your image I listed took my breath away.
I would recommend making your avatar a tighter crop though, it is such a lovely image but as an avi it doesn't grab the attention your skill deserves.
I also have a slight dislike of collage images. I feel that unless they dramatically tell a story or something they are just distracting and can take away from the great power the images can have indervidually but that is just me.
As far as things I would suggest removing?
Well that is up to you but for me, I don't think the gold dress is wonderful as your other work, or maybe a different crop would work, the door handle is a bit of an odd distraction to me but the model looks amazing. 
I really liked your work smile

Jun 26 14 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Jenny Gavin-Wear

HO Photo wrote:

That is not how this works. Somebody started a thread offering their OPINION, nothing more or less than that. If you can't take it gracefully, you shouldn't ask in the first place. Nobody forced you. If you ask someone for it and it turns out you don't LIKE their opinion (or think it's baseless), just ignore it and move on.

Don't have a little fit. It's lame.

I didn't ask for any opinion on my work.

I just think it's lame for someone to set themselves up as a guru when they clearly have no idea how to critique.

Jun 26 14 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jenny Gavin-Wear

"I don't claim to know everything, this will be MY open and honest blunt opinion, others may not agree but that is fine by me."

Can you cope with honest and blunt replies?

Jun 26 14 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Jenny Gavin-Wear wrote:

Can you cope with honest and blunt replies?

I am unsure of what your problem is but you will not get the reaction you are hoping for.

I never claimed that or anything along those lines and if that has been your assumption then I am sorry for you that I have given that impression. This will be the only response you will receive from me so I hope you have a lovely day. Good bye smile

Jun 27 14 04:32 am Link

Photographer

Joseph William

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jenny Gavin-Wear wrote:

If you are looking for graduate school art class level critiques I really don't think you will be finding it on MM.  Maybe someone should make a browser plug in that changes "critique" to "opinions".

Jun 27 14 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Jag Singh wrote:
I am curious to know what you think of my profile! smile Leave a critique on my profile big_smile Thanks

Hehe no. If I did that for one I would have to do it for everyone sorry.

You have a good start of a portfolio there. You do however need to work on your variety of expressions. At the moment I am seeing the same face over and over one smile/laugh doesn't feel enough to me. Every image should tell a story, I feel a little lack of that from your eyes. You also have poses ans images that look almost the same. Variety is what interests the veiwer. I think you have potential just dont be afraid to take risks and push yourself, try new things and try things you wouldn't normally, that is what makes a great model not just a good one.
Cheers
Ella

Jun 27 14 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Paulette Clarke wrote:
Hey - not a problem, whenever you get around to it - hope you are OK though..? xxx

I would if I could sad
"Unable to show profile #3247063
This member is either awaiting approval or has removed their profile from the site."

Jun 27 14 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

OliviaNicole22 wrote:
Hope things are going better for you....critique if you have a moment?

They are now thank you for your patience.

Wow, I really love your portfolio. You have a beautiful delicate look and a long elegant body, perfect for fashion. You seem very aware of your body and where the light is coming from and how to work your face to get the best angles out. I must say I wish I could see a smile in or a lighter happier expression,even the floaty themes you seem very serious. I like to see variety to a models expression.
I really loved your images though and think you have a good fashion career ahead of you.
Best of luck smile

Jun 27 14 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Ella Wilkes Photography

Rich Olson wrote:
Family first...hope all is well.  I'm patient so whenever you get to me.

Thank you for your kind understanding smile

You have some real killer images in there but some not so much and that really takes away from the stunning work hiding in there. Your avatar for eg is brilliant, colourful, well lit,beautifully framed and full of life, a stunning capture of a stunning model.  How others are a little flat (if you would like a full list pm me). They don't have the same bold life as others.
This seems to be happening with your nude sets also, the one on the album cover holds no where near as much beauty as say this one does www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/26815144 the album cover looks a little snap-shotty. I would also suggest laying off the sepia tone. Many images seem to have the same colour to them and it can mash it all into one for the veiwer. Remember this is a place for your really top shots.
You have a good eye mostly and I think with a little more of a critical eye to your owm work it could become truly spectacular portfolio.
Good luck smile

Jun 27 14 04:49 pm Link

Model

Frederique Goud

Purmerend, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Hope you have the time to critique me smile

Jun 28 14 07:32 am Link

Model

OliviaNicole22

Baltimore, Maryland, US

They are now thank you for your patience.

Wow, I really love your portfolio. You have a beautiful delicate look and a long elegant body, perfect for fashion. You seem very aware of your body and where the light is coming from and how to work your face to get the best angles out. I must say I wish I could see a smile in or a lighter happier expression,even the floaty themes you seem very serious. I like to see variety to a models expression.
I really loved your images though and think you have a good fashion career ahead of you.
Best of luck smile

Thank you for the critique, and the kind words! Expression is definitely something I have been trying to work on...duly noted! Take care smile

Jun 29 14 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Quentin Skyking

Lancaster, Massachusetts, US

I'm curious to see where I stand...

Jun 29 14 06:08 am Link