This thread was locked on 2014-04-07 15:02:50
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Photographers Lost More Freedom Today in America

Photographer

Katsung

Venice, California, US

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04 … -same-sex/

I'm sure this decision will be supported by most people on MM.  However, I find it terrible.

Americans are losing more freedom and liberty everyday.

Apr 07 14 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Katsung wrote:

I'm sure this decision will be supported by most people on MM.  However, I find it terrible.

The word "politics" is actually in the URL lol

So, yeah... no. It would be great to discuss this, but we can't do that here anymore.

Apr 07 14 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

And that's a shame. Regardless of how one feels, this court ruling directly affects photographers. What could be more pertinent to Model Mayhem or those in the business of photography?

Apr 07 14 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Katsung wrote:

Horse shit! At the very least these particular Americans are merely being compelled to observe the law and operate their business within the bounds of the law.

If you are going to be in business you have to comply with the laws applicable to that business. That applies to restaurants; hotels; camp sites; car dealers.......... and photography businesses. Nothing stops, or conversely requires, this lot exercising their 1st. A rights. They just can't do it on the backs of the public to whom they are offering their services. If they want to pick and choose then they should just close the "business" and get a profile on MM or some other NON-business environment where they can do what they like as far as picking and choosing who to work with.

The legally protected classes of the public exist exactly because of people like that. Those are comprised broadly of of discrimination based on: race; sex; religion; age; marital and family status; and of more recent addition, sexual orientation.

Get over it!

Studio36

Apr 07 14 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Lohkee wrote:
And that's a shame. Regardless of how one feels, this court ruling directly affects photographers. What could be more pertinent to Model Mayhem or those in the business of photography?

Agreed. But the ruling could be regarded as shining a harsh, unforgiving light on a totally dishonest exploitation of "religious belief" for purely malicious purposes, and, as such, this topic is doubly "controversial".

IBTL.

Apr 07 14 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Katsung wrote:

So we should go back to restaurants not serving blacks, etc., if they don't "approve" of them?

I realize it's not as black & white an issue as that (no pun intended), but I'm sure they, as religious people, don't want to be discriminated against either.

Apr 07 14 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

studio36uk wrote:

Horse shit! At the very least these particular Americans are merely being compelled to observe the law and operate their business within the bounds of the law.

If you are going to be in business you have to comply with the laws applicable to that business. That applies to restaurants; hotels; camp sites; car dealers.......... and photography businesses. Nothing stops, or conversely requires, this lot exercising their 1st. A rights. They just can't do it on the backs of the public to whom they are offering their services. If they want to pick and choose then they should just close the "business" and get a profile on MM or some other NON-business environment where they can do what they like as far as picking and choosing who to work with.

Studio36

Yeppers (and then some).

Apr 07 14 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

MMDesign wrote:
So we should go back to restaurants not serving blacks, etc., if they don't "approve" of them?

I realize it's not as black & white an issue as that (no pun intended), but I'm sure they, as religious people, don't want to be discriminated against either.

Exactly!  I know what it is like to be discriminated against.  If it were a gay couple refusing service to a Christian couple, then perhaps people would understand that discrimination is wrong in any case.  I've been refused service simply for being with a black man who happened to be my boss.  I've also been discriminated against for looking white ... and also for looking like a long haired hippie.   I have also been told that I cannot be the wedding photographer for a friends wedding unless I converted to their (jehovah's witnesses) religion.  Discrimination is just wrong no matter how you try to excuse it!

Apr 07 14 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Katsung

Venice, California, US

MMDesign wrote:

Yes.  Its called FREEDOM.   

If a business doesn't want to serve someone they should have that right.

If someone doesn't want to go to that business they should have that right.

Based on this ruling photographers can now be FORCED to photograph models based on race and even gender.

It seemed like the majority of people on MM supported the ousting of the Mozilla CEO because "its a private business".  Well, photographers are a private business.

This is just another case of government forcing citizens to do something against their will.

This isn't freedom.  This isn't liberty.  This is a police/nanny state.

Apr 07 14 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Lohkee wrote:

studio36uk wrote:

Studio36

Yeppers (and then some).

It may not mean anything particular to the American readers here but you, in particular, will know what it is if I were to say:

NO blacks
NO dogs
NO Irish

Studio36

Apr 07 14 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Katsung

Venice, California, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
Discrimination is just wrong no matter how you try to excuse it!

Something can be wrong but that doesn't mean it should be illegal.

I noticed you have no men in your port.   I hereby order you to have an equal amount of men and women in your portfolio.

Apr 07 14 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Katsung wrote:

I noticed you have no men in your port.   I hereby order you to have an equal amount of men and women in your portfolio.

Ummm, you do realize that this only applies to those doing business with the general public, right?

Apr 07 14 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Katsung wrote:

Based on this ruling photographers can now be FORCED to photograph models based on race and even gender.

It seemed like the majority of people on MM supported the ousting of the Mozilla CEO because "its a private business".  Well, photographers are a private business.

This is just another case of government forcing citizens to do something against their will.

You really don't get it, do you?  How far back in time do you want to go?  Back to when blacks were not served?  Or when Irish and Chinese were considered disposable labor ... paid shit for wages doing dangerous jobs because blacks were valuable property, and the slave owners didn't want to risk the loss of their property?  Or how about when women couldn't vote?  Interracial marriage was illegal?   Just how far back do you want to go in your quest for a time when we had freedom?

Apr 07 14 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Katsung wrote:

That's not freedom, that's ignorance.

Apr 07 14 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Katsung wrote:

AS A BUSINESS, OFFERING SERVICES TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC AND ADVERTISING SUCH, you haven't be able to [legally] do that ^^^ for nearly half a century! Not a thing in the world to do with this ruling.

HELLO!

Studio36

SEE: The Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Pub.L. 88–352, 78 Stat. 241, enacted July 2, 1964), in particular Title II as applies to businesses, outlawed discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.

This year, 2014, see the 50th anniversary of this law.

Apr 07 14 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Katsung

Venice, California, US

studio36uk wrote:

AS A BUSINESS, OFFERING SERVICES TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC AND ADVERTISING SUCH, you haven't be able to [legally] do that ^^^ for nearly half a century! Not a thing in the world to do with this ruling.

HELLO!

Studio36

SEE: The Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Pub.L. 88–352, 78 Stat. 241, enacted July 2, 1964), in particular Title II as applies to businesses, outlawed discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.

This year, 2014, see the 50th anniversary of this law.

The majority of the CVA of 64 should be repealed.  It was a freedom and liberty crushing monstrosity.

Apr 07 14 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Katsung wrote:

You didn't look far enough ... https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110907/21/4e683eae5410e_m.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/071001/03/47009f66b47f2_m.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120110/02/4f0c0e99dddf7_m.jpg

But you know what?  I understand where you are coming from to an extent ...
the best thing we can do is boycott those businesses that discriminate ...
no, better still, we should be thrilled that there are many photographers like myself,
who are happy to shoot same sex weddings.  Their money is as good as anyone's!

Apr 07 14 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

If you don't want to follow the law and  govt rules and regulations, than don't be a lame ass hypocrite and use any govt public services like the roads and highways, hospitals, the police, public schools, national parks, water+electric+ sewage connected to the govt grid. Also don't accept any govt subsidies. Protest the big farms, banks and corporations that get tax breaks/govt assistance. And when you get disabled or old, don't take any social security income.

Apr 07 14 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Patrick Walberg wrote:
Their money is as good as anyone's!

Too right, think pink

https://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110605045353/jericho/images/c/cb/AS_100_Dollar_bill.jpg

Studio36

Apr 07 14 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Paul AI

Shawnee, Oklahoma, US

This hasn't been locked yet?  lol

Apr 07 14 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Bobby C wrote:
If you don't want to follow the law and  govt rules and regulations, than don't be a lame ass hypocrite and use any govt public services like the roads and highways, hospitals, the police, public schools, water, national parks, electric and sewage connected to the govt grid etc. Also don't accept any govt subsidies. Protest the big farms, banks and corporations that get tax breaks/govt assistance. And when you get disabled or old, don't take any social security income.

Unfortunately far too many want to be able to pick and choose which laws to follow and which not.

Studio36

Apr 07 14 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Paul AI wrote:
This hasn't been locked yet?  lol

It is not a political discussion. It is a discussion about BUSINESS matters and in particular the BUSINESS matters of photography BUSINESSES.

Studio36

Apr 07 14 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

There's nothing stopping "said photographers" from showing up with a brownie camera and taking what amounts to crappy snapshots.

Frankly, I understand the legal aspect of this...however forcing someone against their will to do a job for you will likely result in shitty work.

Apr 07 14 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Bobby C

studio36uk wrote:

Unfortunately far too many want to be able to pick and choose which laws to follow and which not.

Studio36

Yup. Some people are infected with the "cherry picking" disease.

Apr 07 14 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Xpat John

Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, US

Katsung wrote:

So, if you are taking pictures in a public place and a random person tells you that you must stop, then you would just pack up and call it a day right?

Or would you say, "According to the law, I can take photos here"?

Apr 07 14 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

studio36uk wrote:

It is not a political discussion. It is a discussion about BUSINESS matters and in particular the BUSINESS matters of photography BUSINESSES.

Studio36

I have was told that I cannot be the wedding photographer for a friends wedding unless I converted to their (jehovah's witnesses) religion.  The couple had already asked me to shoot their wedding, but their church told them "no!"  What can I do about that?  Make them convert to a more inclusive rather than exclusive religion?

Apr 07 14 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Paul AI

Shawnee, Oklahoma, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
If it were a gay couple refusing service to a Christian couple, then perhaps people would understand that discrimination is wrong in any case.

Actually, the couple would probably be promptly baked a hero cookie.

Apr 07 14 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:
Frankly, I understand the legal aspect of this...however forcing someone against their will to do a job for you will likely result in shitty work.

+1

Why would anyone want to force someone to shoot their wedding against their will. It seems like a sure way to ruin your wedding day imagine how awkward that would be.

I wouldn't want anyone in my wedding who doesn't want to be there.

Apr 07 14 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Xpat John

Patrick Walberg wrote:

I have was told that I cannot be the wedding photographer for a friends wedding unless I converted to their (jehovah's witnesses) religion.  The couple had already asked me to shoot their wedding, but their church told them "no!"  What can I do about that?  Make them convert to a more inclusive rather than exclusive religion?

Churches fall under the "private group" rules.  This is why groups like the Boy Scouts (until very recently) banned gay's from joining.  It is like you being able to say who does and does not have the ability to enter your home.

Apr 07 14 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Whatever happened to the Capitalist/consumerism mantra ?
"The customer is always right."
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTs8HN8DESg6t9xEEEfTkJicpENS1Q22DvWHM1wR5A64DgIMnws5A

Apr 07 14 01:40 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Katsung wrote:

The majority of the CVA of 64 should be repealed.  It was a freedom and liberty crushing monstrosity.

You just sit at your computer and your hands uncontrollably mash out words at the keyboard don't they?

Apr 07 14 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

beta

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I am sure the refusal to do the job is deeper than the article states. Just saying no or I can't do that date does not get you into the Supreme Court.

Or maybe I missed something in the article?

Apr 07 14 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

beta wrote:
I am sure the refusal to do the job is deeper than the article states. Just saying no or I can't do that date does not get you into the Supreme Court.

It's **why** they refused (which happens to be illegal in their State).

Apr 07 14 01:44 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

A-M-P wrote:
+1

Why would anyone want to force someone to shoot their wedding against their will. It seems like a sure way to ruin your wedding day imagine how awkward that would be.

I wouldn't want anyone in my wedding who doesn't want to be there.

Basically. Which is why I don't have any problem with the law, it's not gonna be an issue. The fear that they gays are going to go out and force a bunch of bigots to take their money and do jobs for them against their will just to be assholes is fucking ridiculous. They want good service just as much as straight people, and they still have to pay so they're sure as fuck not gonna put money towards shitty service done by someone who hates them. The only reason they would is if they had no where else to go. If you're the one wedding photographer in Podunk Montana...sorry, you gotta photograph the gay people. It's not their fault you're the only one with the camera and if you hate them they're probably not thrilled you're the only one available either, so you're both unhappy, get over it.

I emailed a handful of photographers, I met with two. Some didnt even get back to me, the first ones I met with seemed a little meh, and they wound up booking their last event for the year before I could get them a deposit, and it worked out great because the second ones I met with I liked a hell of a lot better.

If either of them had been downright unpleasant or just didnt show enthusiasm...I wasn't giving them any money. And if they read the required description of my wedding in the contact email I sent and didnt feel like shooting it, all they had to do was not respond, or tell me they were booked, or something. They wouldn't have said "actually I don't like you, so no, I won't shoot your wedding! You can't make me!" And make a big fucking deal of it.

Apr 07 14 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

What can I do about that?

Like any other business...you can find another client. Although legal, this idea that you should force anyone to do business with someone they don't agree with, or like is retarded at best.

Apr 07 14 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

San Francisco, California, US

I am openly gay and although I haven't fully acclimated myself to the article or the laws and policies enacted in New Mexico, I believe that as service providers, I would like to refuse service to clients at my (creative) discretion and not be liable in court like the Christian wedding photographers.

If I get the summary, the Christian wedding photographers were sued in court by the homosexual couple for refusing to photograph their same-sex ceremony, correct?

I want to know:

1) Why can't the same-sex couple go give their patronage to another wedding photographer who is more same-sex friendly? Are these Christian wedding photographers the only good ones in the area?

Apr 07 14 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

beta

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Lohkee wrote:

It's **why** they refused (which happens to be illegal in their State).

Yes, I understand that, but the **why** was probably stated louder than a simple  *no I can't photography your wedding*.. The article does not affectively translate that part...

Apr 07 14 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Xpat John

beta wrote:

The conversation probably went like this:

Gay Couple: We want you to shoot our commitment ceremony.

Photographer: Sorry, I can not do that.

Gay Couple: Why can't you do this?

Photographer: Because I am Christian and I don't do business with homosexuals.

Gay Couple:  ...

Gay Couple (Bridezilla Equivalent): WHAT?!?!

And then it all kind of goes down hill from there.

Photographer

Paul AI

Shawnee, Oklahoma, US

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:
Like any other business...you can find another client. Although legal, this idea that you should force anyone to do business with someone they don't agree with, or like is retarded at best.

I thought forcing people to do things against their will was generally frowned upon in the US.

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Paul AI wrote:

I thought forcing people to do things against their will was generally frowned upon in the US.

Yeah. Tell that to the IRS tongue

Apr 07 14 01:50 pm Link