Forums > General Industry > Your opinion(s) on group shoots.

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:
Putting on my Forum Guide hat for a moment, but cocking it to one side...

I think the photos posted in the thread can be very beneficial to the OP (although I would agree with others that Gary's overuse of this for his own agenda is a bit much).

As with much else related to photography, you derive an awful lot from what you see in a photograph.  If someone were to look at these photos and say to themselves, "hey, that's a nice shot, I'd love to have that in my portfolio!", then a groupshoot might be just the ticket for them.  If they look at the photos and think, "nah, that's not for me", then a group shoot is probably not for them.

Instruction, be it in a continuing ed class or a weekend workshop, is an entirely different animal.  There are some great ones out there and I would proffer that if you can find a good one on a subject that interests you, it's worth your time.

I agree.

Apr 16 14 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

There is one area of overlap that groupshoots, workshop and meet and greets all have, and that is in person networking.  I believe this is valuable.  Not from a business perspective, none of these are going to offer that, but in a way that allows us to form real world friendships with others of a similar interest.  That is something that indeed has value.   Sometimes it's just nice to sit outside at a cafe on a nice day, and discuss the work of a photographer you both admire.

My closest friends are other creatives.  I can't imagine living my life surrounded solely by squares.  wink

Apr 16 14 05:52 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:
There is one area of overlap that groupshoots, workshop and meet and greets all have, and that is in person networking.  I believe this is valuable.  Not from a business perspective, none of these are going to offer that, but in a way that allows us to form real world friendships with others of a similar interest.  That is something that indeed has value.   Sometimes it's just nice to sit outside at a cafe on a nice day, and discuss the work of a photographer you both admire.

My closest friends are other creatives.  I can't imagine living my life surrounded solely by squares.  wink

You're absolutely correct!

Apr 16 14 05:56 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Lumigraphics wrote:
The OP asked for opinions. I've said that there are potentially good and bad events.

You stated as a fact, some things that don't happen at every event. So, yes, I challenged that statement.

Apparently, according to some of you, there could never possibly be a good or worthwhile group shoot.

Yes the OP asked for Our opinions and experience of group shoots.

So where did I say in my reply that I t was general "fact"?. I did exactly what the OP asked for, gave him "my" personal experience and opinions of group shoots in my area... Please feel free and re read my original comment, this time read it in the context I've explained and with a better attitude.

Conclusions made by myself and others are made strictly on individual goals, experience, skill level and expectations of these group photoshoots... Sorry if you get offended by everyone's conclusions, maybe the problem is not with Us ans the Groupshoots we've experienced... Just sayin'.

Lumigraphics wrote:
ONCE AGAIN. FOR THE BENEFIT OF EVERYONE WHO CANT LOCATE PAGE ONE OF THIS THREAD.

The OP asked for opinions of group shoots, good or bad.

At this point, we are running off the rails. Predictably, some people have a good opinion, some a bad opinion.

Some shoots are good, some bad, some are apparently total disasters.

I think the question has been answered.

Part of the issue with this thread running off the rail is from answering your attacks on how full of shit we are and discrediting everyone's real experience and opinions, thus becoming a bit hijacked.

One word; Mirrors my man, Mirrors, look into one sometimes.

Apr 16 14 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

The way I see it, group shoots are going to have a melting pot of photographers, you will have;
*newbies looking to get into the model/photographer networking, to basically get a foot in the door to build a portfolio, style, skillset and model list.
*photographers who live by attending group shoots for what ever reason.
*other experienced photographers looking to do something different for a day from their regular photo style! maybe to add to potential model lists for future private conceptual shoots if the model looks to be a good fit.
*some go for the social aspect and networking and to see what new talent there is and to talk story with regulars.
*then there are some with nothing else to do and a group shoot with half naked to naked models makes for a great weekend of fun and snapshooting.

What ever the case, I don't find them at all as creative to what I would do by booking my own model for my own concept.
Like I said, it is what it is, and the more we know that going into the event the more we can expect what we will end up with image wise.

Apr 16 14 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Grit City Pinups

Seattle, Washington, US

This one looks pretty cool.

http://youtu.be/aDoOBeqPwCs

Teacher is kind of handsy, though.

Apr 16 14 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Dan Howell wrote:

You're assigning motive to something you've never attended. Please don't try to imply that you know what the fuck you are talking about. The structure has morphed to its present organization over time encompassing the wishes of the photographers and models who participate--not some money syphoning agenda.

In the interest of full disclosure, I present a workshop at the Shootout Jerry is referring to and Cherrystone has never attended. I have no financial interest in the event. I have chosen to participate in this event for several years, as my schedule allows, because of the friendly environment that I have seen over the 10+ years it has operated.

I have attended other events, given workshops for other organizers and even hosted a few workshops myself. I choose to participate based on the attitude of the event, the opportunity to shoot at a particular location and the availability of models. Similarly, there are other events I would not return to after attending them once or go to based on the experience and feedback of others.

Workshops, Shootouts and Group Shoots are not for everyone; nor is there an across-the-board standard for quality and value, but a blanket condemnation of all group shoots for all photographer just makes the person stating it look stupid (or biased with their own agenda).

IMO workshops are a lot different than a group shoot but in general I have never seen a group shoot worth attending or that interests me.

I could see the benefit of having access of a location that might not otherwise be available but even if no one is shooting over my shoulder I prefer to have complete control over wardrobe, concept and makeup and I don't want to shoot the same thing as everyone else.

How boring.

Apr 16 14 10:02 pm Link