Forums > Model Colloquy > Worth taking a minute to praise this model...

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

About 2 weeks ago a photographer buddy of mine was telling me I needed to shoot with this girl that he's shot with, I guess about a year ago. So I contacted her about a shoot and at the same time he sent a note to her saying good things on my behalf.

She and I agreed on a shoot/concept and a date, which was today. A bit of cheating was done here because I knew from my friend that this was a concept she's been wanting to do for a long time, and I had the connections and the knowledge to make it happen.

Yesterday I messaged her in the afternoon to confirm the shoot for the next day. It turns out that she'd just been logging in to message me when I messaged her. It turns out she'd been feeling really sick for the last couple of days... but she really wanted to do this shoot so she wanted to go forward with it. So I told her ok, we'll plan to go forward and hopefully she'd be feeling better today.

Today comes, the shoot was scheduled for 5PM and I get a message at 3PM saying that she still wasn't feeling well. She still wanted to continue, but she might need to take breaks to rest and get water. Again, I'm fine with this; I don't want her getting hurt or feeling rotten. Rest and fluids are important.

She arrived on time; She'd taken my advice on wardrobe and brought a lot of great things to wear; Not only that, but she brought a bunch of different necklaces and accessories, which we hadn't discussed, and when I picked out an outfit that we'd shoot with next, she picked out great accessories to go with it really well, without me needing to give input; She hit her expressions and poses really well, she was smiling and upbeat the entire time. She took breathers and got her water when she changed outfits so she didn't disrupt the rhythm of the shoot; and she never complained, sighed, or frowned during the entire 2 hour shoot.

I found out while talking to her that she had a 102 fever at 1PM, just 4 hours before the shoot. If I had a 102 fever you'd have a hard time getting me out of bed, and I'd be miserable all day. She. Never. Complained. Once. Granted, her fever had come down and she was feeling better, but still. That's freaking impressive to me... and this was for a TF shoot. She wasn't getting any cash; she just really wanted to do this shoot.

I don't know how she could have done any better if she'd been 100% healthy. You can't tell in any of the photos that she's not feeling well.

This girl rocks.

Apr 13 14 12:30 am Link

Photographer

SoftLights

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

On a forum with so many negative stories about models and photographers who flake this is refreshing. I've had a couple of similar situations and have recommended them to others for paying gigs. Great story.

Apr 13 14 12:52 am Link

Photographer

Renato Alberto

San Francisco, California, US

Thank you for this story. It seems these forums tend to focus more on the negatives then the positives. I guess we all do this in life. I think you got the right idea. We should  all start doing more praising then complaining.

As for me, I have had many more good experience then bad on MM, and most of the time, it does not cross my mind to come in here and praise the model for a great job, but gee, let us have a bad experience, and it's all over the forums.

Thanks for setting the example. I will try to follow...
smile

Apr 13 14 01:09 am Link

Model

J O A N N E

Derby, England, United Kingdom

A refreshing change to the model/photographer flake rants threads that seem to populate the forums.
Finding a model like that is a diamond amongst the rubble!
Hopefully you don't catch her virus though!

Just another thought -
I work in retail and the saying goes, if a customer has a bad experience they'll tell everyone they meet that day about it and give negative comments. If a customer has a good experience they might tell one person in passing or just not tell anyone and no positive comments come out of it. The same theory goes here, negativity spreads alot quicker than postivity does.

Apr 13 14 01:18 am Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

Just Danielle wrote:
Hopefully you don't catch her virus though!

That thought had occurred to me but I'm betting I'll probably be fine. I don't spend a lot of time touching or even in close proximity to the model during shoots; We spent a couple of minutes in a car together and then there were a couple of times that I showed pictures to her on the back of the camera. I shouldn't get sick from exposure that limited hopefully.

Apr 13 14 01:50 am Link

Photographer

RichardH

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

I think it is refreshing to hear someone who is so positive about an experience they have had.

I don't usually write on froums because of the negativity. I just can't be bothered with it.

That said I have only really started shooting with models and am not really that experienced yet but I have to say, I have never had an issue with a model that I have worked with.  They have ranged from the inexperienced to very experienced and all have been great.

Because I don't make money from it, most have been TF shoots yet all have been terrific.  I have learnt a lot from MM and the models I have have found on it and hopefully I will continue to do so.

Apr 13 14 04:01 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Yay!

Apr 13 14 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reeder

Huntsville, Ontario, Canada

With all of the rants about no shows it's always good to hear another one praising a model. Can we start outing people for being awesome?

Apr 13 14 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Good to hear that there still are models out there that take shoots this seriously

However

If I am lining up a shoot , checked with the model the day before and found out she was ill

I would reschedule for her sake and mine

one experience with a sick model throwing up on set was all I needed to see the light on this

Apr 13 14 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Another Italian Guy

Bath, England, United Kingdom

I'd like to praise ALL my models....

So thanks ladies!

borat

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

Apr 13 14 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I've had good shoots with all the models that I've worked with.  I once had to reschedule a 2 model shoot because one of the models had to have a root canal.  We had the shoot the following month.  I'm sure that there are reasons why some photographers can't find models and their models flake.

Apr 13 14 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

RichardH wrote:
I think it is refreshing to hear someone who is so positive about an experience they have had.

I don't usually write on forums because of the negativity. I just can't be bothered with it.

That said I have only really started shooting with models and am not really that experienced yet but I have to say, I have never had an issue with a model that I have worked with.  They have ranged from the inexperienced to very experienced and all have been great.

Because I don't make money from it, most have been TF shoots yet all have been terrific.  I have learnt a lot from MM and the models I have have found on it and hopefully I will continue to do so.

I was discussing this with another photographer yesterday.  He said the same thing.

Apr 13 14 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Mark Reeder Photography wrote:
With all of the rants about no shows it's always good to hear another one praising a model. Can we start outing people for being awesome?

+1

Apr 13 14 09:00 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

The photographer admitted he'd never get out of bed in the same condition, yet that's what the model has to go through in order to avoid being labeled a flake?  That's just fucked up.  If we've created an environment where a model who's sick can't make her health her first priority without being castigated, we should be ashamed.  Heroically sacrificing ones health and safety is admirable in war and disasters.  It's ridiculous when the alternative is rescheduling an appointment.

Apr 13 14 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Lovely story - I have also had models go so far "above and beyond the call of duty" that it boggled the mind.

One showed up so sick - I mean really sick - and gutted it out - had almost no voice - endured 4 hours of body painting and got the best images of my "just starting out" career.  You would never know from the images.  It gave me hope to be able to really create shots that were greater than the amateur hour stuff I had mostly been shooting when I just started.

It would be nice to have more people rush to the threads with the great stories - instead of mostly the ones with imagined slights - and butthurt reactions.

Apr 13 14 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Take a minute!

Worth taking many minutes.

And I would have postponed. Would not want to risk my getting sick, nor making her worse. That being said, so how many other shoots are you planning with this lady?

And this thread will die quickly, at least that is my experience anytime I have started a positive thread. And for the record, most of my experiences on MM have been positive.

Apr 13 14 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Mac Intosh

Moose Creek, Alaska, US

BTHPhoto wrote:
The photographer admitted he'd never get out of bed in the same condition, yet that's what the model has to go through in order to avoid being labeled a flake?  That's just fucked up.  If we've created an environment where a model who's sick can't make her health her first priority without being castigated, we should be ashamed.  Heroically sacrificing ones health and safety is admirable in war and disasters.  It's ridiculous when the alternative is rescheduling an appointment.

+1 smh https://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/huh.gif

Apr 13 14 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

BTHPhoto wrote:

Although that is what the photographer said, it was not meant as an obligation on the models part, simply an evaluation that he is more of a wimp. And I would have also stayed in bed.

Models do not have to show up when deathly ill. No reasonable photographer expects them to, it is just that some do show up. And many a photographer has dragged themselves out of a sick bed to follow through on a commitment.

And totally agree that rescheduling would have been the smartest thing, but then no point for the thread.

"Model showed up on time, knew what to do, and together we rocked the shoot", is really such a common occurrence that it barely requires a thread.

Apr 13 14 09:36 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I am happy you had such a wonderful experience.

I have to say, I'm not one of the bunch that believes one has to work sick and that makes you a better model, worker, etc.

In fact, people showing up to work sick have no common sense.
If you are sick, f'ing rest and don't infect other people.

Apr 13 14 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Another Italian Guy

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Jules NYC wrote:
I have to say, I'm not one of the bunch that believes one has to work sick and that makes you a better model, worker, etc.

I would appreciate the model at least offering to show up.

However, unless it was a huge shoot with lots of cash invested and/or people committed to it, I'd probably just re-schedule.

I don't want no nasty germs! yikes

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

Apr 13 14 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Mac Intosh

Moose Creek, Alaska, US

Jules NYC wrote:
I am happy you had such a wonderful experience.

In fact, people showing up to work sick have no common sense.
If you are sick, f'ing rest and don't infect other people.

+1  common sense ain't so common... https://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/laugh.gif

Apr 13 14 09:45 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Mac Intosh wrote:

+1  common sense ain't so common... https://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/laugh.gif

big_smile

Apr 13 14 10:35 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Another Italian Guy wrote:

However, unless it was a huge shoot with lots of cash invested and/or people committed to it, I'd probably just re-schedule.

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

I've mentioned this before but I'll mention it again:

A co-worker came into the radio station I was working at REALLY sick.  She got me sick and during the time I was in a band and was practicing sick.  I didn't know then as much as I do now about when you can 'get away' with singing sick and when you can't.  Long story short, I couldn't talk for two weeks and had to write everything down on a piece of paper.  My GM didn't take to that well.

I had to leave my band because they couldn't wait and had to go to Speech Therapy which was $.  Luckily I didn't have ANY problems with my vocal chords but to this day I curse that Account Executive who thought she was such a great employee coming into work with the plague.

Now I've caught bugs/germs and shit from people coming into work sick and it sucks.  I don't like my band, my singing or my weekend ruined when someone thinks to themselves, "I'm a trooper!  I'll show how dedicated I am!"

Apr 13 14 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

Herman Surkis wrote:
And I would have postponed. Would not want to risk my getting sick, nor making her worse. That being said, so how many other shoots are you planning with this lady?

When she said she'd been sick, I thought she just had a bad sinus infection or maybe a little stomach bug. I didn't know how sick she'd been until well into the shoot. I continued because she really wanted to continue and felt like she could...

And for those that implied it, if she hadn't felt able to continue I wouldn't have been in here complaining instead. I've also worked when I wasn't feeling 100% because that's sometimes what life demands, but I'd never insist that someone be up and about with a 102 fever.

And yes, I have no problem admitting that I can be a wuss while sick. Lol

Apr 13 14 10:42 am Link

Photographer

JohnEnger

Jessheim, Akershus, Norway

Viator Defessus Photos wrote:
I don't know how she could have done any better if she'd been 100% healthy. You can't tell in any of the photos that she's not feeling well.

This girl rocks.

Applause!

Very impressive model, and thank you for sharing your story. There is way too much focus on negative things. Reading this made me actually smile and think that there are some that actually give it their all to make the shoot successful!

J.

Apr 13 14 10:49 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

When she said she'd been sick, I thought she just had a bad sinus infection or maybe a little stomach bug. I didn't know how sick she'd been until well into the shoot. I continued because she really wanted to continue and felt like she could...

And for those that implied it, if she hadn't felt able to continue I wouldn't have been in here complaining instead. I've also worked when I wasn't feeling 100% because that's sometimes what life demands, but I'd never insist that someone be up and about with a 102 fever.

And yes, I have no problem admitting that I can be a wuss while sick. Lol

A sinus infection mimics the flu and can make you look like dogshit.
A stomach virus is PAINFUL so either is not being a wuss, you are not going to get the best out of the model if they are sick, even if they are pretty (which they should be).

... but if you deem working whilst sick awesome, you can offer models this ~

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GKEuOMfKsqY/UQp0_qaQJGI/AAAAAAAAFxs/bKVCbiHNuZU/s1600/nyquil-margarita.jpg

Apr 13 14 10:49 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Another Italian Guy wrote:

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

New plan for our shoot today....

Instead of 50/50 glycerine, we're using a mixture of Lysol and Purell

Back to the OP..... yeah, there are tough, professional models out there, and it is a shame that people let their negative experiences with those who really are not professional distort their views about those who really ARE professional and take their craft seriously.

Apr 13 14 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

Jules NYC wrote:
A sinus infection mimics the flu and can make you look like dogshit.
A stomach virus is PAINFUL so either is not being a wuss, you are not going to get the best out of the model if they are sick, even if they are pretty (which they should be).

... but if you deem working whilst sick awesome, you can offer models this ~

Well, I tried...

Look, I'm trying to express appreciation for the model's dedication. I never exerted pressure on her to continue. The first words I said to her when she arrived was, "are you feeling okay?" We were shooting on land that I have access to because of a friend. I wasn't paying to shoot there. I told my friend (who was there to help) about it and even he was willing to reschedule if she wasn't feeling up to it. Even if we'd had to wait 2 or 3 weeks to shoot again, I would have only been out $10 if the shot yesterday had fallen through, which is nothing.

Apr 13 14 11:36 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Well, I tried...

Look, I'm trying to express appreciation for the model's dedication. I never exerted pressure on her to continue. The first words I said to her when she arrived was, "are you feeling okay?" We were shooting on land that I have access to because of a friend. I wasn't paying to shoot there. I told my friend (who was there to help) about it and even he was willing to reschedule if she wasn't feeling up to it. Even if we'd had to wait 2 or 3 weeks to shoot again, I would have only been out $10 if the shot yesterday had fallen through, which is nothing.

I completely understand that believe me I do.

I guess I just have a big beef with people showing up to a job sick. It doesn't make sense to me at all.

I would be more impressed when someone doesn't flake and shows up for a job when they could've been making a lot of money at another one. In fact, I did exactly that my last shoot. I had another job where I could've been making considerably more money but I said I would do it and I did, no complaints.

When I can't be somewhere it's usually a transportation or money thing. If I am sick I certainly don't go and I don't feel guilty for any reason out of my control.

That's just me I guess.

Apr 13 14 11:51 am Link

Photographer

GeorgeMann

Orange, California, US

JohnEnger wrote:

Applause!

Very impressive model, and thank you for sharing your story. There is way too much focus on negative things. Reading this made me actually smile and think that there are some that actually give it their all to make the shoot successful!

J.

Absolutely, there are many "impressive models" such as she and I too applaud her and the OP.
But there are way more that will turn this into a negative thread, just cause they can.

Apr 13 14 11:57 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

GeorgeMann wrote:
Absolutely, there are many "impressive models" such as she and I too applaud her and the OP.
But there are way more that will turn this into a negative thread, just cause they can.

Nope, just don't think showing up sick is impressive.
Sorry if you see that as negative.
I'm thrilled for the OP that she didn't cancel though!

Yay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHYcGL7eePg

Apr 13 14 12:47 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Los Angeles, California, US

Sounds like a situation well handled by all. smile

I've seen people cancel on others because they thought someone saying they were "sick" was them flaking.

I've seen some people not warn that they were sick (as to avoid sounding flaky) and end up spreading the illness to other members of the crew who had weak immune systems.

Aside from her being sick in the first place, it sounds like this went as well as it possibly could have! I'm glad you had fun and got great pictures, and also glad her 102 degree fever finally went away. That is brutal!

Apr 13 14 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Jules NYC wrote:

I completely understand that believe me I do.

I guess I just have a big beef with people showing up to a job sick. It doesn't make sense to me at all.

I would be more impressed when someone doesn't flake and shows up for a job when they could've been making a lot of money at another one. In fact, I did exactly that my last shoot. I had another job where I could've been making considerably more money but I said I would do it and I did, no complaints.

When I can't be somewhere it's usually a transportation or money thing. If I am sick I certainly don't go and I don't feel guilty for any reason out of my control.

That's just me I guess.

And a reasonable person, even if they are a photographer, would understand and reschedule. However if there was a lot of prep for the cancelled shoot, and you made a lot of money, you had better believe that you will owe me a nice dinner  smile

Apr 13 14 02:36 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

K I C K H A M wrote:
Sounds like a situation well handled by all. smile

I've seen people cancel on others because they thought someone saying they were "sick" was them flaking.

I've seen some people not warn that they were sick (as to avoid sounding flaky) and end up spreading the illness to other members of the crew who had weak immune systems.

Aside from her being sick in the first place, it sounds like this went as well as it possibly could have! I'm glad you had fun and got great pictures, and also glad her 102 degree fever finally went away. That is brutal!

Hee hee, people with strong immune systems can still catch stuff:)

Apr 13 14 03:47 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Herman Surkis wrote:

And a reasonable person, even if they are a photographer, would understand and reschedule. However if there was a lot of prep for the cancelled shoot, and you made a lot of money, you had better believe that you will owe me a nice dinner  smile

Ha ha

I hear that!
There's different levels of sick.

Sniffles... I'm there
102 fever, nah

tongue

Dinner?  Seems like a fair shake:)

Apr 13 14 03:48 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Los Angeles, California, US

Jules NYC wrote:
Hee hee, people with strong immune systems can still catch stuff:)

It's true, but if I have a sickness that I think I can still shoot with, and I tell the photographer and everyone on the team is aware, it's up to them whether to take the risk or not. smile

People with stronger immune systems are less likely to be taken out of work for a week from a bug, so they are probably more likely to take that risk. smile

I do think you're being rather nit-picky at this point.

Apr 13 14 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Yep I don't have any of the MM drama, good to hear other people don't either. :-)

Apr 13 14 04:17 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

K I C K H A M wrote:

It's true, but if I have a sickness that I think I can still shoot with, and I tell the photographer and everyone on the team is aware, it's up to them whether to take the risk or not. smile

People with stronger immune systems are less likely to be taken out of work for a week from a bug, so they are probably more likely to take that risk. smile

I do think you're being rather nit-picky at this point.

Not really, just you made a statement and well, being into med stuff, I had to say:)

Apr 13 14 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I always like a story with a happy ending!

Apr 13 14 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

GPS Studio Services wrote:
I always like a story with a happy ending!

Well, if you want the funny part that I didn't tell you... My friend who was letting us shoot on the land? He's a tow truck driver.

I showed up 15 minutes before the model did... when I told him the model's name... turns out he'd towed her car a year ago, the same car she drove to the shoot with.

We all got a laugh out of that one when he told her.

Apr 13 14 10:23 pm Link