Forums > Model Colloquy > Fears of aging...

Model

Alexandra Beck

Los Angeles, California, US

Hey guys. I'm 23, and I know I'm not old at all.

But the modeling world is so fast paced, I've begun to feel that I'm reaching the "end of my time". Especially living in Tokyo, where you are considered "old" as a female by age 25.

I spend most of my life confused as to what I wanted to do, and still not having completely figured out, I'm just 1 1/2 years away from being "old". I still feel like a kid. I haven't even really experienced a healthy romantic relationship.

How many of you guys feel the way I do? And how to you face/accept these fears? Models especially have it tough, I feel. Hopefully we can share philosophies to keep us sane.

May 19 14 07:13 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

There are many different kinds of modelling, and different sorts of models.  It's obvious from reading your profile that you are in a very competitive part of the modelling world.

Personally I don't buy that story at all. 25 is not old, and there should be other opportunities, but of course you might have to go looking for them. Also, it's entirely possible if you are living in a different culture that you might have to think outside the box.

I didn't even start modelling till I was 35 and still going strong at 61........just saying that it's possible to continue indefinitely in some genres of modelling.

May 19 14 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

move from there and let your beauty be exposed...your a youngster....and beautiful...Mo

May 19 14 09:24 pm Link

Model

Goodbye4

May 19 14 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Wilde One

Santa Monica, California, US

Lifestyle and catalog is great... can't have just young girls there.

There are also some fashion lines directed at more mature women, and they can't use teenagers for those lines as well.

And then there's advertising, where all ages are needed.

So, plenty of territories to roam.

May 20 14 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Noncho

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

I don't think you have to be scare by numbers like 25, 30, 40 - they don't immediately make you unwanted. There are plenty of opportunities and different needs, the business don't need only baby faces.

For me personally it's easier to work with models above 25 (I'm not working with top models).

May 20 14 01:25 am Link

Model

Ida Saint-Luc

San Francisco, California, US

Alexandra Beck wrote:

But the modeling world is so fast paced, I've begun to feel that I'm reaching the "end of my time". Especially living in Tokyo, where you are considered "old" as a female by age 25.

I spend most of my life confused as to what I wanted to do, and still not having completely figured out, I'm just 1 1/2 years away from being "old". I still feel like a kid. I haven't even really experienced a healthy romantic relationship.

How many of you guys feel the way I do? And how to you face/accept these fears? Models especially have it tough, I feel. Hopefully we can share philosophies to keep us sane.

I get you. I'm "old" = 25. I'm totally uncomfortable with it, or with what I think that age is 'supposed' to mean. When I turned 25 I really thought, okay, I'm really actually supposed to be an adult now. Why am I so far from being in that head-space? I always thought my sh*t would be more settled by now, but that's just a fantasy. We grow up thinking we'll be established adults at age 25 but that's a far cry from the reality of most modern lives. We spend more time getting educated, seeing the world, etc. than ever before so we 'mature' more slowly and settle down later. Yet simultaneously, these old, ageist ideas are still lurking about (especially apparent in a field like modeling) that women are withered and sexually irrelevant once they turn 25 and should just start making babies and hiding away in the home. You can't win. You just have to accept how illogical it is to consider 25, 30, etc. old, especially in this day and age, and stop trying to make sense of nonsense.

May 20 14 02:46 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

MatureModelMM wrote:
There are many different kinds of modelling, and different sorts of models.  It's obvious from reading your profile that you are in a very competitive part of the modelling world.

Personally I don't buy that story at all. 25 is not old, and there should be other opportunities, but of course you might have to go looking for them. Also, it's entirely possible if you are living in a different culture that you might have to think outside the box.

I didn't even start modelling till I was 35 and still going strong at 61........just saying that it's possible to continue indefinitely in some genres of modelling.

Absolutely! The lady in my port is 44 n still going strong!

May 20 14 08:11 am Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

Too old? No. Having to shift what castings you apply to and making sure you update your portfolio more regularly? Yes.

I know a bunch of models who are in their 30's who still freelance. I'm 25 and as long as my body stays healthy I will have work. This is speaking as an art model, but I know for commercial modeling that is true as well. Really focus on building good relationships now with your agents and bookers, but also try freelancing provided you are in a non-exclusive contract. Experiment with what you can do, show that you are reliable and versatile.

Just my opinion.

May 20 14 08:25 am Link

Model

Evie Wolfe

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

It is strange, isn't it? We live in a world with a rapidly aging population, where nearly all the positions of power are held by older people (ok, mostly older men - but we're changing that, slowly) and yet we cling to an obsession with youth as the pinnacle of beauty.

I'm looking forward to getting older. I always found 'older' women very beautiful, but then I find very little in innocence and nativity attractive - I like strength, intelligence, worldliness (not that younger women can't embody those things, too) - I like the power and grace that comes with experience. And even if I did not, what is the point in worrying? It is going to happen, and there is nothing you can do to stop it, so just enjoy the ride.

As for modelling... Well, what can you do. The modelling world has a very blinkered idea of beauty anyway, at least in my opinion, and eventually all of us fail to meet their already pretty impossible standards. It doesn't mean the end, though - far from it. The modelling world is far more diverse and open than it was even ten years ago (it still has a long, long way to go, but it's a start) and you can be a part of that change. Move to a different market, look for different work, keep your passion for it alive.

May 20 14 08:31 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

MatureModelMM wrote:

That is a great response ^_^ I started modeling when I was 25 and sometimes I think back "Wow, I wish I'd started with I was 19 or something" but really, there is no way I would have been able to do it as the person I was at 19. I am now almost 30 and I have slowed down some since I started, but that is 100% because of my life, my health issues/pain issues, and my decision to be more picky and to stop taking on most paid shoots and to focus mainly on creating art and just shooting what I want.

I do agree that in some genres there is a very narrow window for modeling, but as MatureModelMM said, there are other outlets for modeling ^_^

May 20 14 08:46 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I didn't do anything in my life on a timetable. I got married late, had kids late, even started modeling late. I'm 47 and I don't care about age. My grandmother is 93 so what does that make me? I don't consider myself old. I'm in the prime of my life! Experience is more important to me than being young.

May 20 14 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I'm about to retire completely from MM-type photography, and am narrowing-down who I might want to work with to finish this off.  Experienced models over - can you believe this(?) - 30.  (Because of skill, substance, comfort-level in the photosession, ability-to-contribute, and the ever-undefinable worldliness.)

So you're far from ending it all.  If you're truly good, you will only get better.

smile

May 20 14 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Time marches on for everyone, no exceptions.  So why worry about it.  Just make good plans.  Make the most of your time now.

Modeling doesn't end at 25.  There are many different types of modeling.
A person can model no matter what age.
Commercial work is a great example.
There are some really great models in their 40's, 50's and 60's and beyond.
It's all about your look and how you take care of yourself.

Heck, I'd love to shoot Christie Brinkley if I could, and she's 60!

May 20 14 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

They call it the "quarter life crisis" now big_smile

Don't get so hung up on it, it really doesn't matter all that much.

Mostly age is psychological I think. I think the secret is about doing new things, experiencing new things, every day. Learning something new, or keeping busy. Key word; get busy. Doing whatever you feel like...if its modeling, do more shoots. By the time you're over the hill with the rest of us big_smile, you'll be on to doing so much other things you'll feel 18 again.

May 20 14 05:00 pm Link

Model

Alexandra Beck

Ida Saint-Luc wrote:

I get you. I'm "old" = 25. I'm totally uncomfortable with it, or with what I think that age is 'supposed' to mean. When I turned 25 I really thought, okay, I'm really actually supposed to be an adult now. Why am I so far from being in that head-space? I always thought my sh*t would be more settled by now, but that's just a fantasy. We grow up thinking we'll be established adults at age 25 but that's a far cry from the reality of most modern lives. We spend more time getting educated, seeing the world, etc. than ever before so we 'mature' more slowly and settle down later. Yet simultaneously, these old, ageist ideas are still lurking about (especially apparent in a field like modeling) that women are withered and sexually irrelevant once they turn 25 and should just start making babies and hiding away in the home. You can't win. You just have to accept how illogical it is to consider 25, 30, etc. old, especially in this day and age, and stop trying to make sense of nonsense.

EXACTLY...

I want to multi-quote but I don't quite know how yet, so I'll just give an over-all response.

I can objectively understand that the passage of time is linear, that it's not in any sense defining, and that there is no sense in attaching judgements to it.

My even so, it's frightening. Maybe that's just the fear of coming to terms with my own morality.

I don't know how many of you have seen "girl, Model" But when I say modeling, I mean the modeling I have been doing in Japan, not freelace, but as a "fresh face" to be remembered, I suppose. That was always my dream. It had been a bumpy road, but BECAUSE I was young, I made some mistakes, some uneducated decisions, and the like. NOW I finally understand what to do, but I'm running out of time. I was actually told "Oh no, if we don't get you out there now you will be a baasan (Old lady) and it'll be too late."
Most castings are for women between ages of 14-20. Some make it to 22. 23 is unheard of.
I like the wisdom age brings. I like the calmness, the self-assurance, and the self-knowledge. I just find it cruel that society chooses to only value such a ephemeral trait.

I will continue modeling as a hobby, for sure, but I fear that before I ever get my "big breaK or "glory time" it'll be over.

May 20 14 05:45 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I remember that Christie Brinkley was 25 the FIRST time she appeared on the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit cover. Even though she had modelled before that cover did more for her career than anything she had done previously.

May 20 14 05:57 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

You need to change how you define success. For me as an older art model it's being in galleries and in shows. I have some of my photographs and even fetish masks I wore in a shoot in a permanent collection in The Kinsey Institute. That is immortality to me but isn't that what photographs are? Showing who we were at that moment in time even when we are no longer on this earth? I choose to see the big picture and someone telling me no I'm not right for a shoot is a minuscule part of life.

May 20 14 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Mirror With A Memory

New York, New York, US

Live your life with passion and everything will take care of itself.

May 20 14 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Age is only a number...

You still have a lot of life to live and there is more to life than modelling, career, job, or a hobby.

May 20 14 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

You will always be the wrong age for some castings no matter what your age is, can't let that worry you.

May 20 14 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

HarryL

Chicago, Illinois, US

Alexandra Beck wrote:

You need to understand it's not about you getting old It's your culture. You must get out of this
Concerns.Working out a plan that would take you to another level. I'm 52 and I truly love
It. Still I can turn heads But this has nothing to do how I feel It's all about doing what you LOVE.
Try not to let this in to your skin. Otherwise the cause can be unrepeatable .

H

May 20 14 06:46 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

I feel the same way.
I'm 22 and feel very old, although i'm often mistaken as a younger teen. hmm

May 20 14 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

KOLMANS STUDIOS

Lüderitz, Karas, Namibia

I think one problem might be that you reach the end of a specific "comfort" level. Maybe time to travel a bit. See whats outside that box you are in. Break that boundries. Time to explore,risk and bite the bullet. You might discover total diffrent image of you being locked away.

I was twice on a burned out road in my life. First one was when I was 27 . Everybody around me,told me I,m on top of the world,they admire my lifestyle for a person so young. Yet,they did,nt know how I felt inside. I broke that mould, only to step in the same trap some years ago.  Now at my age of 54, I work twice as hard, but I,m more at peace with myself, and while I need to guard against falling into the " box' again,I realize my mistakes and what I missed out on LIFE. Not sad about it, because on the othe rhand I experienced things as a youngster can only dream of,but hmmm,hard to explain. Now I,m catching up, but the body complain sometimes. Specially after a rollerskate session or on the waterski. :-((

At some time it bothered me of going bold,now its part of my face. I do not notice it anymore. Even sometimes get a compliment from a girl.:-))

May 20 14 09:03 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

I just turned 25. I feel old and unwanted. People tell me to get over it but that doesn't change the feeling. I still get carded at R rated movies because I look 17 most days. But that doesn't change that I've been told "You're considered [old] for this industry". I hate it and regret ever putting my real age on my profile (or anywhere for that matter).

May 20 14 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Geeeeeeeezzzzzz, if yer old  .  .  .  I must be dead  .  .  .  wink

SOS

May 21 14 06:01 am Link

Model

Michelle Genevieve

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

Danielle Reid wrote:
I just turned 25. I feel old and unwanted.

I just turned 56 and I wouldn't go back in time for anything. Old age? Bring it on!

May 21 14 06:12 am Link

Photographer

Wolfy4u

Grand Junction, Colorado, US

Anyone else noticing the most of the younger models are saying that they feel old and most of the older models are saying that they don't feel old.
Obviously, it's all about making the most of what you have. Yes, at 30-40, you need some skill and a good attitude to be successful in modeling (I'm talking about the MM world), but at 19, often great beauty (or the right look) can make up for a total lack of ability.
Why not use skill and attitude at all ages and be successful at all ages

May 21 14 06:28 am Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Michelle Genevieve wrote:

I just turned 56 and I wouldn't go back in time for anything. Old age? Bring it on!

That doesn't make me feel any better hmm

May 21 14 01:36 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Alexandra Beck wrote:

Hello,
If you are about to graduate away from your current market or genre of shooting then it is time to start seriously looking at the next phase!!

The good news is that while you will be walking away from something you are outgrowing you will also become "fresh" at your new area with a new and hopefully renewed career ahead of you.

This is not bad, right?

Good time to start looking forward to the new but it is natural to regret walking away or no longer fitting in where you used to be.

Good luck!!

Any ideas where next?
Jen
edit to answer your questions about how to face these fears or a personal familiarity.

I'd aged out of the market I wanted long before I got my first foot in the door. I was 27 when I briefly tried modeling first, already too old for runway. I still had a few takers who gave me a little try but it wasn't feasible for me.

Twenty years later I managed to fall into it and then remembered how much I'd wanted to do it before and how time is "now" that I actually turned that fall into a full fledged jump into it.

Time is still flying and exponentially for me now that menopause is here so, my aim is to accept what I can do and have friends that may let me push the limits and friends who will also tell me when the limit shouldn't be pushed.

I still want to try new things however, the commercial modeling market looks a bit out of my reality right now.

Until I can make a serious attempt for that I am going to continue to network, create and enjoy.

Accepting the "now" of where we are is good and also not giving up because of it is even better!

May 21 14 03:41 pm Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I can't believe all the young ladies in this thread who feel so old!  That's so strange to me.  I feel old on this site, but I'm 43! 

I might add that while I feel old on this site, I don't feel old away from it.  I know that I'm young.

May 21 14 07:05 pm Link

Model

Gitte

Newton, Massachusetts, US

25 is old...?
Huh, OK, I guess I didn't get that memo.

I guess you just have to try your best, then go with the flow, and accept as you move into different genres and categories. It doesn't have to be over when you hit 25.

May 22 14 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Eugenya wrote:
I can't believe all the young ladies in this thread who feel so old!  That's so strange to me.  I feel old on this site, but I'm 43! 

I might add that while I feel old on this site, I don't feel old away from it.  I know that I'm young.

You aren't old, I'm old (and creepy according to some).

When I browse for models, I often search for 40 and over.  I must say, though, that they are few and far between.

May 22 14 03:25 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Mark Salo wrote:

You aren't old, I'm old (and creepy according to some).

When I browse for models, I often search for 40 and over.  I must say, though, that they are few and far between.

I have 39 on my profile, maybe you should aim lower because I know several models on here who do what I do to get noticed in typical searches.

May 22 14 03:26 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

See, I would love to be able to go back in time and give my 25 year old self a kick up the backside for complaining that she felt old..
Again when I turned 30..
I like who I am now, Im pretty happy with being an immature 43 year old, I dont look too bad for my age and it certainly doesnt stop me doing most of the things I used to love/still love.
I actually sort of regret complaining that I felt old back then when in reality I should have been enjoying things more and worrying less..

May 23 14 12:52 am Link

Retoucher

Orenj Haro

London, England, United Kingdom

You are always gonna look back years later and say, jeez why was i complaining so much back then. Live your life. things are what they are. Fighting it is when you get stress and it makes you age. Being carefree keeps you young.

May 23 14 06:18 am Link

Model

Vi Synster

Jesup, Georgia, US

If it makes you feel any better, a lot of Victoria Secret's models are in their 30s and I've seen some models on America's Next Top Model at old as in their late 40s. You are never too old to get in front of a camera and feel beautiful smile

Do you have a college education? There's a lot of "what career would fit you best" type quizzes online out there. If you take a few of those, it might help guide you in the right direction.

May 24 14 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

If you (all) are so fortunate to live as long as I have (born 1947, you do the math), I hope you will have lived every minute as fully as possible. Looking back, I remember thinking that 18 was old at one point. I was wrong.

I also remember when "don't trust anyone over 30" was spoken as a truism. That was also wrong.

And I posit that the OP is equally wrong about 25 being old. For the very same reasons. OP, guess what? 25 will come and go, and you will not notice any speed bump whatsoever.

Now, "old?" What age do you suppose that would be? I'm thinking somewhere in the late 80s, maybe. But I could be wrong. It's not like it's never happened before.

May 24 14 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

James S

Spokane Valley, Washington, US

Age is only a number.

I've done a lot of great photo shoots with models in their 40's, and a great shoot with a 63 year old model. My wife is 45, and I still shoot with her every chance I get.

May 24 14 07:05 pm Link

Model

Alexandra Beck

Michael DBA Expressions wrote:
If you (all) are so fortunate to live as long as I have (born 1947, you do the math), I hope you will have lived every minute as fully as possible. Looking back, I remember thinking that 18 was old at one point. I was wrong.

I also remember when "don't trust anyone over 30" was spoken as a truism. That was also wrong.

And I posit that the OP is equally wrong about 25 being old. For the very same reasons. OP, guess what? 25 will come and go, and you will not notice any speed bump whatsoever.

Now, "old?" What age do you suppose that would be? I'm thinking somewhere in the late 80s, maybe. But I could be wrong. It's not like it's never happened before.

I'm not saying I think it's old, I'm saying society/the modeling world, ESPECIALLY JAPAN'S (where I live) says so.

May 24 14 08:16 pm Link