Forums > Photography Talk > New toy from YongNuo

Photographer

Warrenjrphotography-SJ

Hammonton, New Jersey, US

-JAY- wrote:

But their TT850 (v850) is $100, with lithium battery (600 full power @ 1.5s) and their FT-16s receivers don't need batteries.

True price of a 560III is more like $75 + $15 ($90) for a set of good AA recyclables - so apples to apples is like $10 more for a massively efficient battery system.

That's not bad but I never heard of them before, Yongnuo has built up a strong reputation over the years and accessories such as being able to control Yongnuo flashes from a hotshoe mounted transciever is only pushing them further ahead.

I abused the hell out of my Yongnuo, dropped it, banged it up, shot a few photo shoots using practically nothing but full power the entire time and it's still going strong.

Jun 01 14 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Warrenjrphotography-SJ wrote:

That's not bad but I never heard of them before, Yongnuo has built up a strong reputation over the years and accessories such as being able to control Yongnuo flashes from a hotshoe mounted transciever is only pushing them further ahead.

I abused the hell out of my Yongnuo, dropped it, banged it up, shot a few photo shoots using practically nothing but full power the entire time and it's still going strong.

I'm well aware of the reputation YN has built over the past several years. I own 16 of them, and have lauded them for ages. The neewer/godox are pushing their way into the mix pretty well now, though.

Jun 01 14 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

neewer/godox have been around just as long. they were just focused on different things.  now both are competing in the same space.
both know how to deliver features at low price points and pretty much indestructible gear.

Jun 01 14 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Phantasmal Images

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Godox also makes the AD180 and AD360, which are rebranded by Cheetah Light (CL180 and CL360) in the US. My v860c is built just as well as my YN560, and I'll definitely be picking up another one soon.

Jun 02 14 01:35 am Link

Photographer

Phantasmal Images

You can get three YN560II's for that much though.....

The YN560II also lacks HSS and ETTL though. A better comparison would be with the YN568, which is in the same price range. The v860 does everything the YN568 does (or the Canon 580exII for that matter), plus it has a lithium battery pack.

As Jay already said, the v850 is a better comparison with the YN560.

Jun 02 14 01:43 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Moments

San Antonio, Texas, US

At this point I am still in the YN560III camp. The built in receiver is more important to me than the lion battery packs. I have never run out of battery power on any shoot using conventional batteries.

Jun 02 14 03:42 am Link

Photographer

Kelvin Hammond

Billings, Montana, US

**CAUTION >> ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM**

Check your 5-- series flashes for output after a few months usage. Every one of mine, the 560's, the 565ex's, etc is offering me 1 STOP LESS then when I bought them. I bet I have 12 Yongnous. The 465's seem to have remained constant, but the rest have lost output power, and several have quit firing altogether. I believe they must be using inferior parts, and that it's possible their soldering isn't as "clean" as it should be. I saw a technical article on why flash tubes fail prematurely and unclean soldering was one of the primary reasons, and the defintion of "failure" was both lower output, or death.

i have:
4 - 465ex
5 - 560's
3 - 565ex

and now I have 4 - v850's

In opening the flash heads of my ailing Yongnuo's, the flash tubes were blackish and contaminated with debris...   i've had 2 560's bite the dust within a year.

So, I've also been replacing my Yongnuo army with V850's, and they haven't been plagued by the same problems.

Now the 622c's, (i have 6 of them) are working flawlessly, with one exception:  when mounted to a 6D, the camera will not do bracketing at all, even in manual mode. No brackets with or without actual flashes attached. To do it, I actually have to mount a Cactus V5 on the camera, and run the 622c stacked on it. I think that's dumb.

**exit Elephant, stage left**

Jun 02 14 05:59 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Yongnuo YN560-TX Manual Flash Controller for YN-560 III
Unfortunately they have put a crazy price for that unit ...

Jun 05 14 12:51 am Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

alessandro2009 wrote:
Yongnuo YN560-TX Manual Flash Controller for YN-560 III
Unfortunately they have put a crazy price for that unit ...

Well, they just killed that thing... For that price I'll walk to the strobe to adjust it.

Jun 05 14 01:16 am Link

Photographer

Phantasmal Images

Viator Defessus Photos wrote:

Well, they just killed that thing... For that price I'll walk to the strobe to adjust it.

I bet the price will drop to around $80 once they hit the ebay distributors.

Jun 05 14 01:33 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Phantasmal Images wrote:

Think that is too much the same even is something like that happen.

Jun 05 14 03:18 am Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Phantasmal Images wrote:

YongNuo doesn't even have it on their official site - some vendor who has stock is just trying to make a buck while it's still not officially released.

Jun 05 14 08:14 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Yep, that's not the official store...

I still stand by my guess of $50 to $60 (as soon as the initial demand catches up). And who knows, maybe lower.

The YN622N TX was also being sold at $150+ while some resellers cashed in on the initial short supply.  Then it dropped almost $100 in record time as soon as the stock started coming through in any kind of quantity. So I wouldn't read anything into any initial pricing.

Jun 05 14 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

When it gets itself on Amazon the price will become well enough.
I look forward to not climbing the tree I put my speed-light in just to bring it down a notch as with the other 5 groups. The model/client doesn't even have to know your fussing with anything. I do not often use that many lights this means individual unit control and when I do they are often being used in some form of parallel setup that grouping would make sense anyway.

Fun stuff Jay, Thanks again

Jun 05 14 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's out.

$50.99 on their official eBay Page

Once it settles down on Amazon, I'm voting it'll even out at $40-$45 --- not bad at all.

Jul 01 14 08:52 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

You definitely nailed the price with your prediction Jay!

Especially as this is the "first round" price.  I'm sure it will wander down lower in the next few months.  Good call!

Jul 01 14 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Anybody else notice that when Jay posts something, you tend to spend money.  wink

Jul 01 14 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Herman Surkis wrote:
Anybody else notice that when Jay posts something, you tend to spend money.  wink

LOL. Most of the stuff I post is in the "sure, why not - worth a shot" price ranges.

Got one of these coming my way to test out the 560II with 560TX vs the Neewer TT850 and FT-16s

Remote power adjustment has long been one of the things people spoke out about with regards to budget flashes being "worthless" --- now that this has changed? DUN DUN DUN.

Jul 02 14 08:15 am Link

Photographer

Marco R

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

https://www.lightingrumours.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/yongnuo-yn560tx-yn560iii-600x600.jpg
Just got in the mail this Friday- the YN560-TX and 3 YN560-III from Eachshot, the official Youngnuo store. They work great although I only had time to test them off camera.

The setup is straight forward if you can understand the manual bad English translation (worse than automated translation maybe), but with some pictures you get there. The only setting done on the flash are the selection of operating channel (default 1)  and what remote mode (RF602 or RF603 - default RF603)  are you going to use, everything else are done on the YN560-X.

It seems to work fine and adjusting power and zoom form the YN560-TX is straight forward. The only bad thing is that I ordered everything for Nikon but they send me the correct flashes but the YN560-TX for Canon. According the manual the only drawback using it is that I am going to lose the flash wake up feature - if it goes dormant it will not wake up. The sleep mode can be disabled on the YN560-III. I already contacted Yongnuo for replacement.

Just one additional note regarding shipping from Eachshot: They do not use boxes or any cushion material on the package. They just wrapped the 3 flashes boxes and the small box for the YN560-TX together with one sheet of bubble plastic. Since there was a gap on the corner where the small box was, they put the 3 diffuser covers from the 3 flashes to fill the gap and work as package cushion material – unbelievable. Nothing was broken but what are they thinking?

Jul 20 14 08:55 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

For those caught up in the compatibility issue between the YN-560TX plus related manual flashes, and the completely incompatible YN622 TTL related systems, FlashHavoc announced a few weeks ago a bios upgrade for these YN-560TX units, to allow at least some (awkward) cross communication between these previously completely incompatible systems.

And that also includes the YN300 TTL studio lights.  Note that I'm sceptical of these early generation TTL Yongnuo studio lights but I suspect they'll get the hang of that market pretty quickly as well!

Here's the article on the using the YN-560TX with stuff in the YN-622 universe (with limitations):
http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-yn560-tx- … ity-added/

Here's another one on the Yongnuo TTL studio light announcement:
http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-yn300w-tt … announced/

Jul 20 14 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

Phantasmal Images wrote:

I think Godox is making a good push to take that position from Yongnuo with their v850 and v860 speedlights. The v860 has HSS, ETTL, and a lithium battery (600 full power shots with a 1.5 sec recycle at full power) for around $175.

They (Godox) need to make another bare bulb/high power that has TTL along with their HSS to kick Quantum in the ass to make a Q flash with high power that has HSS

Jul 20 14 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Chris Rifkin wrote:
They (Godox) need to make another bare bulb/high power that has TTL along with their HSS to kick Quantum in the ass to make a Q flash with high power that has HSS

Godox has got HSS, with the AD180. No TTL, but the power adjustment is wireless.

Jul 21 14 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I think I'll wait till they get all the bugs sorted out, and they have a flash that wirelessly knows what I want the light to look like.

Jul 21 14 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Herman Surkis wrote:
I think I'll wait till they get all the bugs sorted out, and they have a flash that wirelessly knows what I want the light to look like.

5-10ish years ago, in the $120 price range (yn560III and this trigger) your main option was a Sunpak 285, with only full, half, quarter, and 1/16 power, ten second recharge, and shitty PT-04 triggers that sometimes worked at 15 feet.

Now... look at all we've got.

Give it another handful of years and you'll get your lights.

Jul 21 14 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

I hope YN gets their QC together. I have a 560 (?) and the focus assist light is aimed wrong, so it never really assists in focus.

Jul 21 14 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

JC Strick

Dalton, Georgia, US

Very cool!

Although I'm happy to see the cheap knockoff gear gaining in popularity and the technology advancing, I'm a little fearful that the increase in demand will increase the list pricing on everything to the point of the knockoffs nearing the prices of the name brands.

The Neewer strobes have increased in price by $35 in just the past year or so.

-JAY- wrote:

I'm well aware of the reputation YN has built over the past several years. I own 16 of them, and have lauded them for ages. The neewer/godox are pushing their way into the mix pretty well now, though.

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
neewer/godox have been around just as long. they were just focused on different things.  now both are competing in the same space.
both know how to deliver features at low price points and pretty much indestructible gear.

Neewer, Godox and YN (and Adorama's Flashpoint strobes) are all manufactured by the same people. The features and pricing tends to change based on importer/reseller specs, though.

Jul 21 14 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Any updates?? One of these days I'll need to update my speed lights, and SB 910s are too expensive for what I need speed lights for.

Aug 03 14 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Moments

San Antonio, Texas, US

My YN 560-TX arrived today from Ebay, and Jay...................It cost $40.79 with free shipping, so you nailed the price perfectly.
It took 22 actual days to get here from China.

Aug 15 14 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Pinup Fantasies

HIXSON, Tennessee, US

Just got my 560tx controller and 4 560 III's. So far the system works perfectly.

Sep 13 14 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

JC Strick wrote:
Very cool!
Neewer, Godox and YN (and Adorama's Flashpoint strobes) are all manufactured by the same people. The features and pricing tends to change based on importer/reseller specs, though.

Neewer and Godox are the same - YN is separate.

Sep 13 14 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

Pinup Fantasies wrote:
Just got my 560tx controller and 4 560 III's. So far the system works perfectly.

Does the system work for HSS....like to 1/8000th?  I keep looking online for the info, but don't see much yet.

Sep 13 14 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

David Stone Imaging wrote:

Does the system work for HSS....like to 1/8000th?  I keep looking online for the info, but don't see much yet.

No it does not.

For HSS, you need the 622 triggers and either the 500ex or 568ex flashes.

Sep 13 14 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

David Stone Imaging

Seattle, Washington, US

-JAY- wrote:
No it does not.

For HSS, you need the 622 triggers and either the 500ex or 568ex flashes.

And so the HSS solution would require power adjustment at the flash?

Sep 13 14 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

And so the HSS solution would require power adjustment at the flash?

For yongnuo? Possibly. I know remote adjustment works (for TTL), and that HSS works... but manual adjustment ... haven't tested.

IIRC the 500 and 568 can receive signals from built-in (pop-up) commander mode, so they *should* be able to do HSS from in-camera menu options... don't have any to test at the moment though sad

ATM, neewer TT850 is the best budget HSS option at the moment --- though next time I get my hands on some HHS YN gear, I'll test out (though dollar for dollar, the neewer will still win)

Sep 13 14 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Will Tejeda

Orlando, Florida, US

Jay , do you have any videos  / reviews up for the Godox 850's ?

I've been looking at them for a while , but havent pulled the trigger yet.

How well does their HSS work ?

Sep 27 14 12:38 am Link