Forums > General Industry > Dirty Secrets of Nude Photography

Photographer

A K - Fine Art Images

Charleston, South Carolina, US

ms-photo wrote:
I always have to wonder about people's motives who like to stir up drama.

Personally I like to avoid drama and spend more time shooting.

Thank you for the input and congratulations on your inclusion in the The Mammoth Book of Erotic Photography! Good luck with the house remodeling, too.

Jun 24 14 10:27 am Link

Photographer

GeorgeMann

Orange, California, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I  have photographed nude models for years without problems.

Like Jerry said "No problems" and I have over 50 years of photographing nudes.

Jun 24 14 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I  have photographed nude models for years without problems.

So have I - absolutely NO PROBLEMS.
  To the OP:
  If you ask me, (I really don't care whether you do or don't), your idea is based on bad experiences you were looking for. If you go looking for problems, you will certainly find them.
-Don

Jun 24 14 10:48 am Link

Photographer

GeorgeMann

Orange, California, US

Really the dirtiest nude secret I have ever encountered.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140624/11/53a9bed376de9_m.jpg

Jun 24 14 11:15 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

A K wrote:
I’ve spent two decades avoiding complicated situations. Based on the stories I hear from nude photographers and nude models, I consider myself lucky. I’m compiling some stories for a blog post (or possible series) with a working title of “Dirty Secrets of Nude Photography”. If you have something you would like to send me, I may include it. It can be anything that surprised you or you wished you'd have known. I’m mainly interested in complicated situations that you either found yourself in or narrowly avoided – there needs to be a lesson to learn and it needs to be common enough that it will help other nude models or nude photographers. 

Please use PM, as you may not want follow-up questions posted publicly.

?
None.

What you are looking for is sensationalism and fear-mongering or extreme. Blog post? Sounds like a piece of stool reality show you are looking for and the type that is a smear of MM. Why not one that shares the good of MM?
Jen

Jun 24 14 11:27 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

ms-photo wrote:
I always have to wonder about people's motives who like to stir up drama.

Personally I like to avoid drama and spend more time shooting.

Their motives are for their OWN benefit and no one else.
Jen

Jun 24 14 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

GeorgeMann wrote:

Dirty feet ? Is that the best you can do ?
-Don

Jun 24 14 11:31 am Link

Photographer

KOLMANS STUDIOS

Lüderitz, Karas, Namibia

So, You avoid nude photography, but you want to write a blog on stories you hear.
How wrong and low.

Jun 24 14 11:38 am Link

Photographer

GeorgeMann

Orange, California, US

Don Garrett wrote:

Dirty feet ? Is that the best you can do ?
-Don

Sorry Don, I tried.

Jun 24 14 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

A K wrote:
I’ve spent two decades avoiding complicated situations.

Yeah, right!

I have a great idea: drop YOUR idea and start referring novice models to newmodels.com.

Reading through your posts in this thread made me think of ugly creatures that live under bridges.

Jun 24 14 11:47 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

KOLMANS STUDIOS wrote:
So, You avoid nude photography, but you want to write a blog on stories you hear.
How wrong and low.

The OP specializes in nudes. He said he avoids complicated situations, not nude photography. Did I miss something?

Jun 24 14 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Managing Light wrote:
Yeah, right!

I have a great idea: drop YOUR idea and start referring novice models to newmodels.com.

Reading through your posts in this thread made me think of ugly creatures that live under bridges.

This is about a study that was done on them.   big_smile

http://www.dailytech.com/Study+Internet … e36091.htm

Jun 24 14 11:53 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
The dirty secret of nude photography is that it's exactly like regular photography except that the model is not wearing clothing.

I think people want to believe that the models who do it are somehow morally less than clothed models, or the photographers who shoot it are somehow more perverted than others.

I'm sorry, but your blog is probably going to be pretty boring.

The blog might be boring, because there is really nothing much outrageous that happens..., probably even less than in the fashion industry (not TR stuff... just regular going ons)...

However, I think that this title is BRILLIANT, because it attracts all kinds of non professionals (meaning outside of that genre and pedestrians as in regular consumers) who are starved for tabloid style tell-alls about this topic.

As a book... I think it has the chance to be picked up... as a blog... it will get a lot of new traffic but probably not so many repeat visitors...

Jun 24 14 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Justin Foto

Alberschwende, Vorarlberg, Austria

What a strange thread topic. Not something I'd expect from a seasoned vet.

Here's what usually happens:

Scenario 1. Shoot is arranged. Model and photographer show up. Photographs are taken. Everyone goes home.

Scenario 2. Shoot is arranged. Someone doesn't show up. The other person starts a flake thread on MM.

That's about it.

Jun 24 14 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

A K - Fine Art Images

udor wrote:
The blog might be boring, because there is really nothing much outrageous that happens..., probably even less than in the fashion industry (not TR stuff... just regular going ons)...

However, I think that this title is BRILLIANT, because it attracts all kinds of non professionals (meaning outside of that genre and pedestrians as in regular consumers) who are starved for tabloid style tell-alls about this topic.

As a book... I think it has the chance to be picked up... as a blog... it will get a lot of new traffic but probably not so many repeat visitors...

I'm working on a single blog post, maybe two or three if its too long for one. Just a post or three, not a whole blog. It's not going to be technical like most of my stuff.

Jun 24 14 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

GeorgeMann wrote:

My favorite Nude Model always has dirty feet.  She will walk around on hot sidewalks and across yards etc., barefoot.  Always has.
https://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg100/Norman_Guy/DSC_0294dirtyfoot.jpg

Jun 24 14 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Twice I had shoots with models where we had themes and wardrobe all lined up.

And then...

We shot the photos we planned to shoot.

And then...

The model(s) wanted to pose nude, and did.

And then...

They put their clothes back on and left.

Life went on and everybody was happy and joyful.

That's really as good as it gets, sorry I can't support your little project better. I suspect it is doomed to failure unless you start making stuff up. Everybody else does, feel free.

Jun 24 14 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

PATAAZ

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Got you beat. Been shooting nudes since my 20's and never had an issue. The secret is to remain professional, use common sense and leave your horns at the door.

Jun 24 14 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

San Francisco, California, US

There is already a negative stigma associated with nude modeling or nudity in general. If you want to do something good, start a blog or use the blogging post to share GREAT and POSITIVE tips on nude modeling and nude photography.

Which of the following would you rather wake up to?

"Oh my god, people are evil. They're going to take advantage of me and double-stab me in the back. Don't trust anyone!!!"

Versus

"It is true that there are bad people everywhere and they won't think twice to take advantage of the weak; HOWEVER, there are also MANY MANY good people who wants to help and do their best to help others in need. I have to be careful and exercise vigilance and caution."

Jun 24 14 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

A K wrote:
I’m compiling some stories for a blog post (or possible series) with a working title of “Dirty Secrets of Nude Photography”.

Why not start a thread here and be able to contact the authors of remarkable tales and epics?

The Legendary Dark Secrets of Nude Photography: Share Your Experience.

Of course, because all the stories and accounts would be unverifiable, the tales would be classified as fiction.

Jun 24 14 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

I am ready to tell you my secret....

I see naked models.....

Honestly, I have shot a lot of nude models and nothing happened except they got naked for me.

Jun 24 14 06:46 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

A K wrote:

I agree that sensationalizing is not helpful. I'm avoiding using the term "horror story" or even "cautionary tale" -- But I think there are examples of complicated situations that people can learn from. Maybe a different title would be appropriate, if someone has a suggestion.

As compared to what? As compared to being a waitress? Being a bank teller? Being a teacher in a public school? Exactly what sort of sensationalizing thrilling blog information are you looking for?

I agree with GPS, its grown up. The entire internet has grown up.

Jen

Jun 24 14 06:50 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Gary Melton wrote:
There are lots of little tips to be passed on that aren't lurid or give our profession a black eye.  For example:

If you're doing an outdoor nude shoot and a "civilian" sees the shoot taking place - pack up and LEAVE as soon as possible...cops are sure to follow.

I was doing an outdoor shoot within city limits in a heavily wooded area a few years ago - a guy came through claiming to be looking for his lost dog.  After making some crude comments (like "how old is that girl?"), he disappeared and we kept going with the shoot (for another 20 minutes or so).  ...

Sounds like the guy was trying to look out for your---er the model--- youthful looking self [snip] but yes, avoiding shooting art nudes in places where folks might unexpectedly surprise everyone!

Jen

KOLMANS STUDIOS wrote:
How wrong and low.

The OP is pulling a classic "frenemy" move.

Jun 24 14 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

Sounds like modern journalism.....all the sensationalism minus the boring truth?

Jun 24 14 07:16 pm Link

Artist/Painter

aquarelle

Chicago, Illinois, US

The wonderful, dirty little secret is that most models who pose nude are a helluva lot more comfortable with it these days than I ever would have imagined, especially in my younger days, when I worked up the nerve to ask my first model to pose nude.  On the several occasions I have worked with models creating erotic art, I have never gotten a "you want me to what?"

It's usually:  "You mean, like this?"

Jun 24 14 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Apparently I missed the memo where being a Nude Photographer meant I had to be a NUDE photographer.

Maybe THAT'S why I have no dirty stories to share.

tongue

Jun 24 14 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

eybdoog

New York, New York, US

OP: If you mention that YOU have never had any problems photographing nude models (and it appears that you specialize in only nudes, what is the point of looking for stories on any negativity in nude modeling as others have stated? It seems like you are simply looking for drama to get a bunch of blog hits. Seems futile.

I would imagine that your time would be better spent using your vast knowledge of nude modeling, and maybe writing a post that states what it is like to photograph a nude model for the first time, or maybe even partner with one of your models to do an interview of what it was like for them the first time that they modeled nude. That would give anyone that was considering nude modeling a better perspective than fear mongering, especially since you yourself mention that you have never encountered any issues.

Sounds like you have other motives if you are looking for drama.....

Jun 25 14 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

BeautybyGod

Los Angeles, California, US

not sure why everybody is rushing to talk about problems between models and photographers. i'm sure many of us have some GOOD 'dirty little secrets"... and in my case they shall remain so. ")

years ago... a model got so worked up at a shoot, she wanted to do it right there in the studio. that seemed kinda 'taking advantage' creepy at the time. i told if she wanted some of this, she'd have to come back the next day. she did. true story. not sure what i was thinking at the time. haha

i was doing a shoot under a bridge in an out of the way location... the model was still dressed when the cops drove up. we chatted a bit and the cops stuck around to watch, one even asked the model out. I couldn't get them to leave. lol

I was  doing a shoot in a federal beach park in Delaware with two models. i'm not sure how they even knew we were there, but... the models weren't nude yet when two young rangers ran up to us, asking what we were doing. apparently they were told if they saw any nudity to bust me, take my camera, yadda, yadda, yadda. they just saw the models changing. luckily they knew one of the models, so things worked out. they even drove us to a better location for shooting.

Pretty much the same thing happened in Puerto Vallarta once. And  I didn't speak Spanish, and they didn't speak English.

I was shooting a model in my studio when a business friend came by. we paused the shoot for a while and the model went to the dressing room. while talking with the guy i had this strange metallic taste in my mouth. after he leaves i go to the dressing room and the model is smoking crack. (true story) Shot some more, got great stuff. i'm pretty laid back about drugs, i was 10 years sober at the time. i offered to take her to a rehab a couple of times. i did send her a carton of cigarettes when she finaly made it to rehab.

Was doing a shoot at the end of a long isolated road (in upstate NY) that went nowhere, turning into  a dirt road. We found an exercise bike by the side off the road and decided to use it. while shooting a cop drives up, before he gets close i tell the model to run behind my car and get dressed. the cop was super cool, at one point saying he wished he had a dash camera, cuz his buddies wouldn't believe it. smile he told us if we wanted to shoot, we should go down the dirt road, because "there's no way I'm going down there".

time flies... 10 years later I'm shooting way down that same dirt road and some guy comes walking down and yells at us for shooting on private property. he called the cops. i was ready for a ticket or to get arrested. the guy says "didn't you see that no trespassing sign?" I'm like (didn't say it) 'i've been shooting down here for around 15 years... what the fuck changed?' ( the land had been bought and was kinda being developed ) anyway, we walked back to my car, after the cop got there the guy left, the cop called the guy a dick, and left. lol  If I got caught shooting some of the crazy stuff I shot there over the years, I'd probably still be in jail.

is this legal?

https://www.hallphoto.com/post/Madison21.jpg

i got dozens of these stories. lol

Jun 25 14 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

A K - Fine Art Images

Charlie-CNP wrote:
OP: If you mention that YOU have never had any problems

I feel lucky avoiding complications. I've had some though.

Charlie-CNP wrote:
looking for stories on any negativity

I'm looking for stories that are not commonly told.

I'm collecting a few stories about how models and photographers broached various subjects. Some deal with language barriers, copyright, subcultural differences, ideas of beauty, self image, excessive photoshopping, covering tattoos, staying motivated, dealing with family, and significant others. From these, I'll create a post on my blog.

Jun 26 14 03:15 am Link

Photographer

Creative Image

Avon, Connecticut, US

What on earth could be secret about the process of photographing an unclothed person?  Sure, someone may not want to publish or show the work in some or any venue, but that's not "dirty"

"Dirty", as the OP used it is a value judgment the meaning of which will vary widely, so as a field of inquiry it is useless.

Jun 26 14 08:12 am Link

Model

Elizabeta Rosandic

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

"Dear Penthouse..."

Jun 26 14 08:31 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The truth is that while there are a few what-the-real-serious-shitballs-is-going-on-here situations you'll run into (that you're more likely to run into if you're dealing with newbies or the particularly gullible), the majority of "horrors" are just plain old annoyances and bullshit. Flakes, douchebags, time wasters, people with their heads up their asses, etc etc. My worst experiences aren't police report or penthouse worthy, they're people being huge dicks to me in some way. Its not exciting, just head-ache inducing.

Jun 26 14 10:04 am Link

Photographer

GeorgeMann

Orange, California, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
The truth is that while there are a few what-the-real-serious-shitballs-is-going-on-here situations you'll run into (that you're more likely to run into if you're dealing with newbies or the particularly gullible), the majority of "horrors" are just plain old annoyances and bullshit. Flakes, douchebags, time wasters, people with their heads up their asses, etc etc. My worst experiences aren't police report or penthouse worthy, they're people being huge dicks to me in some way. Its not exciting, just head-ache inducing.

" the majority of "horrors" are just plain old annoyances and bullshit."
I think this just about covers the subject.

Jun 26 14 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Yani S

GPS Studio Services wrote:
It is interesting ... I am sure that the OP is looking for some horror stories that he can share on his blog.  The truth is that Internet modeling and photography is growing up.  I think we are all starting to learn that the negative sensationalism that we had for so long just hurts us as a group.   What I would like to see is more positive blogs!

I know its like everyone is trying to make the word Photographer dirty and bad.
I asked a girl on date she said yes. I was going to pick her up and take her out.
Was thinking of what to do and because I had low funds thought hey I ll ask if she wants to play model and we can go around shooting some photos of her around town or at my studio. She said ok but I have to bring a friend.
Im like wait you'll go out with me on a date alone or come over a watch a movie but you going out to take some pictures of you, you have to bring a friend!?! She said uh ya I guess..can we just hung out on our date?"
Got me to thinking that there is a bit of built up mistrust in Photographers there but not the Photographer just the idea of one hmm
Had several girls I dated not wanting to photos but would come over for drinks. And most of them where better looking then my models I shoot so it wasn't that they felt ugly. Go wrap your head around that one! I stopped telling girls Im a photographer unless they ask what I do for a living.

Jun 27 14 11:04 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Yani S wrote:
I know its like everyone is trying to make the word Photographer dirty and bad.
I asked a girl on date she said yes. I was going to pick her up and take her out.
Was thinking of what to do and because I had low funds thought hey I ll ask if she wants to play model and we can go around shooting some photos of her around town or at my studio. She said ok but I have to bring a friend.
Im like wait you'll go out with me on a date alone or come over a watch a movie but you going out to take some pictures of you, you have to bring a friend!?! She said uh ya I guess..can we just hung out on our date?"
Got me to thinking that there is a bit of built up mistrust in Photographers there but not the Photographer just the idea of one hmm
Had several girls I dated not wanting to photos but would come over for drinks. And most of them where better looking then my models I shoot so it wasn't that they felt ugly. Go wrap your head around that one! I stopped telling girls Im a photographer unless they ask what I do for a living.

If you ask a woman on a date, take her out.

Great idea to shoot her after you've been dating but it's not a date anymore.  It's a TF shoot.

Oh and I don't think 'non-models' feel ugly because they are not models.

Then again, anyone can call themselves a model these days, just like photographers.

Jun 27 14 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Yani S

Jules NYC wrote:
If you ask a woman on a date, take her out.

Great idea to shoot her after you've been dating but it's not a date anymore.  It's a TF shoot.

Oh and I don't think 'non-models' feel ugly because they are not models.

Then again, anyone can call themselves a model these days, just like photographers.

LoL true but like I said I had lack of funds for going out but we still wanted to something to do. So that was the idea I came up with which she said ok but then came back and said she had to bring a friend to the shoot. We ended up just doing a red box thing and hanging out at my place instead. Its not a TF in the sense that MM does it since it was just for fun, nothing to use save maybe FB or something silly..Done dates with photoshoots as a fun part of the date. Not all girls freak out about photographers, this one just made me go hmmm… not a big thing just one of those things you know.
No Non-models don't feel ugly that wasn't my point. Just meant they didn't feel bad about being in front of a camera they just didn't want to nothing more then that. Meant they weren't insecure about themselves is all. Wrong choice of words I guess.

Jun 27 14 12:16 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Yani S wrote:
LoL true but like I said I had lack of funds for going out but we still wanted to something to do. So that was the idea I came up with which she said ok but then came back and said she had to bring a friend to the shoot. ...

edit because of have fumble fingers and ...thread drift...
Hi,
I am a super noob photographer "Gennaver Jen B" on here. I went on a date with a photographer, (had a FABULOUS time btw.) While we sat down to dinner the view was so good I naturally wanted to whip out my camers. I am not sure if I asked if he minded before or as I was whipping out my camera but he smiled and said enjoy! He won major bonus points for letting me have my camera glued to my face for our date! smile

If a date agreed to let me shoot but then said they'd need a friend I think I will have to say that I don't shoot with people who want an escort and don't think I could date them either. Although... I have shot my dates before though. For a little while my dates were the only models I had! Granted, they were only initial dates that didn't launch into anything but, a couple were gracious enough to model.

However, the date who let me shoot through our date, TOPs!! It helps that he is a photographer and likewise shot too. smile! Bonus.

Jen

Jun 27 14 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

r T p

https://i.imgur.com/LiuKK3m.jpg

Jun 27 14 05:17 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Yani S wrote:

LoL true but like I said I had lack of funds for going out but we still wanted to something to do. So that was the idea I came up with which she said ok but then came back and said she had to bring a friend to the shoot. We ended up just doing a red box thing and hanging out at my place instead. Its not a TF in the sense that MM does it since it was just for fun, nothing to use save maybe FB or something silly..Done dates with photoshoots as a fun part of the date. Not all girls freak out about photographers, this one just made me go hmmm… not a big thing just one of those things you know.
No Non-models don't feel ugly that wasn't my point. Just meant they didn't feel bad about being in front of a camera they just didn't want to nothing more then that. Meant they weren't insecure about themselves is all. Wrong choice of words I guess.

Ah, I get where you're coming from.

That's the same as a guitarist wanting to take me out and instead says, "Do you just want to jam?"

... and I'd be oh yeah

Jun 27 14 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I M N Photography wrote:
The purpose = marketing.

Boring = no sales.
Interesting=lots of sales
Exposé=mega-sales.

The difficult part in the OPs task is not succumbing to myths, and embellishment.

Bad marketing at that.  There are far better headlines and article ideas that would garner more attention (and positive attention at that)

I mean who wants to build a personal brand on sensational articles that annoy most who read them.  Maybe a better approach would be to provide useful information, or humor, or expertise, or any number of other traits that make people want to work with you.  But what do I know about marketing and branding....

Jun 27 14 05:33 pm Link