Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Obesity and Overweight

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

I find these numbers to be remarkable.

Almost 70% of adults over 20 are overweight, including 35% of the adult population that are obese.

I wonder what qualifies as morbidly obese and what that percentage might be?

This is from CDC:

-----

Data are for the U.S.

Adults

Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are obese: 35.1% (2011-2012)
    Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are overweight, including obesity: 69.0% (2011-2012)

Children and adolescents

Percent of adolescents age 12-19 years who are obese: 18.4% (2009-2010)
    Percent of children age 6-11 years who are obese: 18.0% (2009-2010)
    Percent of children age 2-5 years who are obese: 12.1% (2009-2010)

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm
-----

This is a serious problem for the people involved.

This is a serious problem for all of us as a nation.

I think most people have no understanding at all about nutrition and eating healthy, or the causes and effects of being overweight and obese.

The situation now is hugely different from as recently as the 60's and 70's. All we have to do is look at photos and magazines from previous decades.

Jul 08 14 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

There's a lot of wiggle room, though, when it comes to those numbers.

At 5'9" 180, I am overweight by the CDC's standards:

https://jayleavitt.com/links/beard_week_1.jpg

https://www.jayleavitt.com/links/me_shooting.jpg

though I agree... obesity is a significant issue.

Jul 08 14 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

-JAY- wrote:
At 5'9" 180, I am overweight by standard measurements

Yes, I can see that.

At your age and health, you can easily fix that if you wanted to by losing 10-15 pounds. At 165, you would look more lean and cut. You could be a model if you wanted to.

Most people have a much bigger challenge than you.

---

Being 11 pounds over is probably not so significant at your age, gender and size.

Jul 08 14 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
Yes, I can see that.

At your age and health, you can easily fix that with losing 10-15 pounds.

Most people have a much bigger challenge than you.

Right, I'm 11 lbs from the borderline... but there's a lot of people in the "overweight" category that should not be considered overweight by the standards, and those in the "healthy weight" that aren't healthy. My buddy fails the "fat test" every month in the Army... dude is fit as a fiddle, ripped like jesus, but certain measurements and BMI say he's fat due to muscle:fat ratio and body shape.

Another example.

Me as healthy weight vs overweight:

https://jayleavitt.com/links/only2years.jpg

the left is directly in the middle of "healthy weight" for a 5'9 man at 150lbs - I ran 30 miles a week, felt great, but had high risks for heart issues, musclular/skeletal issues, etc. But according to reports like this, I factored on the good side.

On the right, less than 2 years later after becoming disabled (partially due to weight / running) and completely redoing my lifestyle, my doctors said I was in fantastic shape, as healthy as I have ever been, and there wasn't really anything I could do to be any healthier. In the right, the healthy as can be version, was overweight, and contributed to the "bad" aspects of these reports.

I'm not arguing that the obese portion is bad... but the overweight side is skewed.

Jul 08 14 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

I'm "morbidly obese".  I'm about 6'2, and weigh the last I checked, about 260 pounds.  I'm far more active than most people I know.  Even the skinny ones that look "in shape."

Jul 08 14 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

I agree that 150 looks too low for you.

Another reason the CDC standards are broad and sloppy is because they don't distinguish for gender, ethnicity, etc., and they are measuring populations rather than individuals.

Jul 08 14 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
I agree that 150 looks too low for you.

And when I joined the army at 125, I was still in the "healthy" weight for my size... that was thinner compared to my thin look above as the thin looks to the other...

Jul 08 14 06:23 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

-JAY- wrote:
There's a lot of wiggle room, though, when it comes to those numbers.

At 5'9" 180, I am overweight by the CDC's standards:

https://jayleavitt.com/links/beard_week_1.jpg

https://www.jayleavitt.com/links/me_shooting.jpg

though I agree... obesity is a significant issue.

I am a resistance training athlete, and in excellent physical condition, but the last time I had a check up, I was warned about "staying aware of my weight" and that I am borderline overweight for my height by some BMI charts. Then, 30 minutes later, as the doctor was trying to give me a pelvic exam, she complained that it was hard to feel my uterus and ovaries, because the musculature in my lower abs was so developed.

Those numbers are kind of bullshit for physically active people, and they are especially bullshit if you regularly participate in some type of sport, and have done so for a few years.

Jul 08 14 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Koryn wrote:
I am a resistance training athlete, and in excellent physical condition, but the last time I had a check up, I was warned about "staying aware of my weight" and that I am borderline overweight for my height by some BMI charts. Then, 30 minutes later, as the doctor was trying to give me a pelvic exam, she complained that it was hard to feel my uterus and ovaries, because the musculature in my lower abs was so developed.

Those numbers are kind of bullshit for physically active people, and they are especially bullshit if you regularly participate in some type of sport, and have done so for a few years.

Another good point. You don't really qualify as "average."

Athletes and body builders have different standards to measure by.

Jul 08 14 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Click Hamilton wrote:

Yet by the standards that say 69% of america is overweight, they're still overweight. That 69% is a massive shade of gray.

Jul 08 14 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

-JAY- wrote:
And when I joined the army at 125, I was still in the "healthy" weight for my size... that was thinner compared to my thin look above as the thin looks to the other...

At 125, you probably look sick, or like war refugee.

Jul 08 14 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Click Hamilton wrote:

At 125, you probably look sick, or like war refugee.

I was definitely thin, but god I felt great. Skateboarded for hours on end, (nothing but squats - i had an amazing butt)

Jul 08 14 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

-JAY- wrote:
Yet by the standards that say 69% of america is overweight, they're still overweight. That 69% is a massive shade of gray.

After we exempt a few people like you and Koryn, it seems the rest of us at large will statistically fit a bell shaped curve to the point of making those CDC numbers pretty accurate.

(.. or the curve of a bowling pin?)

----

I remember when I went to visit New Orleans once. The size of the chairs in restaurants there are much bigger than they are in California.

Jul 08 14 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Here's the definition:

Morbid obesity is a medical term describing people who have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40, or of 35 to 40 with significant medical problems caused by or made worse by their weight. BMI of 40 amounts to approximately 100 pounds above ideal weight.

Schlake wrote:
I'm "morbidly obese".  I'm about 6'2, and weigh the last I checked, about 260 pounds.  I'm far more active than most people I know.  Even the skinny ones that look "in shape."

I'm sorry, but you don't qualify for being morbidly obese tongue

Jul 08 14 06:38 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Click Hamilton wrote:

The problem is, a lot of medical professionals don't necessarily make it a point to ask people about their lifestyle habits, before assuming the person needs to lose 10 pounds.

They SHOULD, but they don't always.

Jul 08 14 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Koryn wrote:
The problem is, a lot of medical professionals don't necessarily make it a point to ask people about their lifestyle habits, before assuming the person needs to lose 10 pounds.

They SHOULD, but they don't always.

We should know these things better ourselves, as part of our general education growing up.

https://bp3.blogger.com/_z3xC85JSnLk/Rvq6N_ywbeI/AAAAAAAAAFM/O2rKhTPiL18/s320/Fat+Kid+Eating.jpg

Jul 08 14 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Click Hamilton wrote:

We should know these things better ourselves, as part of our general education growing up.

https://bp3.blogger.com/_z3xC85JSnLk/Rvq6N_ywbeI/AAAAAAAAAFM/O2rKhTPiL18/s320/Fat+Kid+Eating.jpg

I find this image amusing in a strange sort of way. When we were growing up it was play outside from sun-up to dark (with a short break for lunch). T.V. was for Sunday nights IIRC (Wonderful World of Disney).

Jul 08 14 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I've been doing a lot of reading about how the western diet has changed and am convinced that is a big part of the problem.

I also find it interesting that we've become so used to seeing overweight people that height/weight proportionate people are often viewed as being skinny, when in fact they are appropriate, not skinny.

Jul 08 14 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
I also find it interesting that we've become so used to seeing overweight people that height/weight proportionate people are often viewed as being skinny, when in fact they are appropriate, not skinny.

Yeppers. Hue is 4' 8" and weighs in at a walloping 90 lbs. Her family thinks I starve her. Her M.D. says she is doing great.

Jul 08 14 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

I'm not fat, just REAL short for my weight.

I think  I would probably be the ideal weight if I was around 11' 9"

smile

went to basic training at ~ 183-185, came home from Southeast Asia ~3 years later about 157-160

Jul 08 14 09:33 pm Link

Model

fluffycakes

Chicago, Illinois, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
I've been doing a lot of reading about how the western diet has changed and am convinced that is a big part of the problem.

Absolutely! The skinny hate is disgusting(from a skinny person) b/c people assume it's okay. As if telling me to eat something is any different than telling a big girl to put her cheeseburger down... But this is America and ignorance is abundant.

Anywhoo, yeah my uncle is a cop and wii fit called him morbidly obese. While I know wii fit isn't a doctor, That's funny b/c he can outrun me any day..

Jul 08 14 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

10 lbs less than when I was swimming competitively in HS.

Been as low as 10 lbs lower, and 35lbs higher as I am now. Though younger then, that 35 would reek havoc on my back.

Jul 08 14 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Peter House

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

https://oi59.tinypic.com/k35gcm.jpg

Jul 08 14 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Doing a fair amount of weight training, I never pass the BMI part of the physical  .  .  .  BUT, my BF% is always a lot lower than what the norm is for my height and age  .  .  .  if we're just going by weight stats, at 6' and 210, I sound like a short, fat, old guy  .  .  .  in reality, I'm just a short, old, muscular guy  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Jul 09 14 05:30 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I'm curious if muscle mass compared to same amount of fat in volume weigh the same?

I'm 6' and 205 and doc wants me down to below 185.  Some people think I look thin (Lots of striped shirts I guess?).  It's a struggle.

Looking around at local bus stops we have a lot of seriously fat kids here.  The soccer park has some lean ones, but the adjacent park (picnickers) have the obese ones along with their obese parents.  My doc thinks a much shorter life expectancy is going to be a big issue with current generations due to weight and sugar/fats/carbs/less exercise in their lives.  He's got quite a few overweight diabetic 7 year olds in his practice.   He mistakenly said "Oh my" (regarding her weight) when he walked in on one overweight teenager and the also overweight mom snapped at him for doing it in front of her.

I know a few 450 pounders who went for stomach bypasses.  Only one kept the weight down (Diet and exercise post-op.) and the others are slowly getting it back.  Carbonated drinks are partly the blame as it might be blowing their guts up like a second stomach, but they can't part with them.  One may need some skin removal too, but she is gaining again so who knows.

Jul 09 14 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

You can be overweight, and even obese (according to the numbers) and be healthy.

I'm 5'9" and 162 pounds, but I'm likely one of the most unhealthy people I know.  One day, I'll go get a physical so a doctor can tell me just how unhealthy I am.

Jul 09 14 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Speaking of healthy foods to lose weight, what's the scoop on all natural nonfat greek strained yogurt? (Fage).

I don't know anything about this. I just bought a 48oz bucket of it at Costco. I was thinking it might be a substitute for low-fat cottage cheese as a dairy product, but I don't know. 

1C = 130 calories, 0g Fat, 9g Carb, 23g Protein

GOOD POINTS
    Very high in protein
    Nonfat
    High in calcium
    Very high in phosphorus
    Very high in riboflavin
    Very high in selenium
    Very high in vitamin B6
    Very high in vitamin B12

The label says I have 5 days to eat this from the time I open it, LOL.
3 pounds of yogurt.

Can I throw it in the freezer?

https://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/824383b.jpg

It's natural, thick and creamy, unsweetened.

I just tried 1/2C of Fage yogurt with 1/2C fresh sweet strawberries. I like it.

Is this particularly a good and nutritional diet food, or is it like eating a scoop of whey protein powder?

Might be good on salads.

What are other delicious uses?

Greek food, I guess.

*scratches head

Jul 09 14 04:33 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I don't agree with BMI figures for men.

Jul 09 14 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2013/09/2 … ce-recipe/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/baby … ecipe.html

Two great tasting sauces. Can be used for many things.

and, one bonus link just for good measure -

http://www.oikosyogurt.com/greek-yogurt … -dressing/

ETA: Greek yogurt is really the same as the American stuff. It is just strained to eliminate excess liquids, salts, etc. Easy to do.

Jul 09 14 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I'm 6'1" and I'm 1 pound overweight. lol

Seriously, I want to lose weight and be athletic again.  Even at my age.
I need to figure out what to cook and eat and some exercises too.
I was always thin and I want to get back to that.  Too thin for some people. sad

Jul 09 14 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

BMI is pure bullshit
I'm 5'9 162 lbs and at my age(45)I'm considered overweight,yet
I'm ripped to shreds(bf% under 10 probably close to 8)

They need to come up with a better system
Maybe hight/weight/body fat %..and the good ole eye test

puttig the guy with the 6 pack in the same category as the beer belly dude is just assenine

Jul 09 14 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Chris Rifkin wrote:
BMI is pure bullshit
I'm 5'9 162 lbs and at my age(45)I'm considered overweight,yet
I'm ripped to shreds(bf% under 10 probably close to 8)

They need to come up with a better system
Maybe hight/weight/body fat %..and the good ole eye test

puttig the guy with the 6 pack in the same category as the beer belly dude is just assenine

Your BMI and your weight is perfectly in the "normal" range for your height, which is getting rare. For most male adults, your BMI is an ideal to aspire to.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assess … &inches=69

I think the purpose of BMI is to measure the weight of broad populations, and has nothing to do with being ripped or not.

Who thinks you are overweight? Is that something for bodybuilders?

Jul 09 14 05:52 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

It's interesting to see how, over the years, so many people now seem to view thin as "sickly and unhealthy" and overweight as "healthy." I even see it here in this thread.

I am within 10 pounds of my weight at age 18, and I am going to be 50 next month.  I can't tell you how many times people have asked me if I have lost weight since the last time they saw me.  No... because so many people are getting heavier and I am staying the same, it makes me look thinner.

Jay and I were watching an old episode of Gilligan's Island the other night, and I said  "remember how Ginger was considered 'voluptuous' back then? Today her picture would be splashed across the gossip mags saying that she was anorexic."

https://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/20100303/425.gilligans.island.lr.030310.jpg

People like to get caught up poking holes in BMI, but the fact is that people are getting heavier and diabetes (among other issues) will be an epidemic in our future.

Jul 09 14 05:53 pm Link

Model

lynne g

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

The label "obese" is crap because bmi is essentially crap because it doesn't factor in composition. It's a general guide line that is used when better measurement options are not available. Body fat percentage is a better indicator as are things such as cardiac efficiency, bone density etc etc.

Having said this, being under weight has just as many risks as being over weight. A bmi UNDER 18 can bring with it a plethora of long term healthy problems.

Jul 09 14 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Isis22 wrote:
I don't agree with BMI figures for men.

BMI was invented by an actuary of a life insurance company.

Jul 09 14 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

tedbow

Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada

There are many,  possibly dozens of ways to calculate how much one should way.   The problem,  with individual differences each of these methods take time and some effort.   Except one.  the BMI tables. 

BMI,  doesn't take into account relative leg length to torso,  bone density, muscular development etc etc etc.  As a result,  when Arnold was preaching fitness,  his BMI would have put him off the chart-  at least level 2 obese.

I used to work in this field-  my weight about 240,  resting pulse 32 bpm   body fat about 15%  =  BMI measurement  level 2 0bese.  almost any of the other methods,  showed me in the top 10 percentile of fitness.

The experts know BMI is a crock-  the measurement ultimately depends on the ratio of height to weight-  a method that was thrown out about 50 years ago because it did not take the factors I mentioned earlier into account.  Someone came up with the BMI  which added a couple of factors,  but which still measures the same ration and came up with the same faulty answers.

There is a method of measuring a waist measurement -  which actually produces results slightly more reliable than BMI

I still correspond with a few experts in the field.  They will admit that BMI is a faulty tool.  Their problem-  they cant find a quick and convenient method to fill in a check mark on a form.   Until they find something quick and easy-  this discussion will go on,  and people will pay extra for life insurance,  or worse be denied it. 

My advice,  don't lose sleep over BMI,   If you want some peace of mind-  get measurements of body fat,  blood pressure,  resting pulse,  flexibility.  If those come out ok--  chances are you can ignore BMI

Jul 09 14 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

MoRina wrote:
It's interesting to see how, over the years, so many people now seem to view thin as "sickly and unhealthy" and overweight as "healthy." I even see it here in this thread.

Yeppers.

MoRina wrote:
Jay and I were watching an old episode of Gilligan's Island the other night, and I said  "remember how Ginger was considered 'voluptuous' back then? Today her picture would be splashed across the gossip mags saying that she was anorexic."

https://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/20100303/425.gilligans.island.lr.030310.jpg

MoRina wrote:
People like to get caught up poking holes in BMI . . . .

Well because it's not a good indicator of anything really.

MoRina wrote:
but the fact is that people are getting heavier and diabetes (among other issues) will be an epidemic in our future.

I think diabetes (among other things) are already at epidemic levels. The question is, how do we address that?  We have created a society where both people have to work and, after taking care of the kids and other stuff, there is precious little time to cook a good meal (not that most people would even recognize a good meal if it hit them in the face). We are constantly bombarded (practically from birth) with adverts and signs for cheap, fast, junk food. Pavlov's dog anyone? The icing on the cake is that we serve portions for one person that would quite happily feed a family of three in Europe. If our plate is not completely loaded, we feel cheated!

Oh yeah, and BTW, serious congrats on your age and maintaining your youthful weight. You are one of the rare ones.

Jul 09 14 06:15 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

BMI is complete shit. They tried, but stopped just short of finding a way to calculate millions of peoples sizes accurately. Overweight and obesity is definitely a HUGE problem but they definitely dont have accurate stats on it by relying on BMI

My "normal" weight could range anywhere from 101-136 "for my height.

Nearly 140 pounds of fat on my frame would be…smothering. Muscle would be incredibly ripped. Somewhere in between would not necessarily be "fat" but it wouldnt look amazing either.

Jul 09 14 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Regardless of BMI or whatever measurement you prefer to use, the weight of many people around us is lunging higher at an alarming rate. I think  health issues associated with grossly unhealthy eating habits is a ticking time bomb for many of us.

All we have to do is go out in public and look around to see that obesity is a big problem for many people. It's the environment in which we now live.

Proper weight is an important contributor to good health.

Jul 09 14 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

scrymettet wrote:

BMI was invented by an actuary of a life insurance company.

Figures a bean counter came up with this.

Jul 09 14 06:28 pm Link