Forums > Photography Talk > why not shoot film?

Photographer

Joseph William

Chicago, Illinois, US

Money

Jul 15 14 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Los Angeles, California, US

BodyshotsNYNude wrote:
OK, so all this film/digital debate has me anxious to break out my old Canon630 again.

Any tips on where to purchase film again? AND where to get it processed??

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/     for film and diy developing

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/   for developing

Jul 15 14 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Imageri by Tim Davis

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

PhillipM wrote:
I use film to play with.

RB67, off camera 550ex

https://www.keepsakephotography.us/FILM/Film6442-9-Aubree.jpg
-
https://www.keepsakephotography.us/FILM/MemphisMan.jpg

Buttery nice!

Jul 15 14 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

hooyeah123

Metuchen, New Jersey, US

Man lots of people hating on film here, didn't expect that.

I use both digital & film, but B&W film is just more fun to me. Analog cameras are also more fun to use. Just my opinion...

It's kind of meditative to be in the darkroom, just me and the radio. I mostly use cheap B&W film bought in bulk. Paper is what really breaks the bank. That shit is costly. 

If I were being paid for something I would go digital for the piece of mind, but I usually bring an extra film camera on a shoot play with.

http://danflintdesign.tumblr.com/tagged/film

Jul 15 14 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Mark Reeder Photography wrote:
That looks like Bernini. Awesome. Painting is it's own beast. Photography has it's own place. The only thing they have in common is that they are 2 dimensional representations of reality. And sculpture, well that's something entirely different altogether.

you can combine all these arts together in the pure digital forms too:

* digital photography
* digital photoshop
* digital sculpting software
* digital 3D software (to generate the endless varations of 2D pics) with the complex digital surfaces, the complex light sources, "better" than reality...
* digital 3D printing (for your sculptures, for example)
* potentially, you can affect other people's brain directly using HIDDEN RYTHMS and brain waves by virtually bypassing many existing limitations...
etc

Heck, the good Italian marble is too damn expensive (and a 3D printer can work with metal or the mixture of powder and semi-liquified granulas similar to the marble structure)!

Jul 15 14 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Thinking Inside The Box

Diamond Bar, California, US

I never thought I would see so much hostility against film on a photography related website. I get it, digital is easy, convenient, cheap-ish, but holy cow man I didn't realize how threatening shooting film was.

I haven't seen anyone 'threatened' by shooting film. I've seen a lot of people who don't want to shoot film, either for the first time, or again, as well as a lot of people who do want to shoot film, either instead of or in addition to digital.

Someone who states a different preference when asked is not necessarily 'threatened' by someone else's preference.

You asked why not shoot film. Some people told you. If all you gained from that is that they're threatened, I can see there are some communication issues.

Jul 15 14 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reeder

Huntsville, Ontario, Canada

Thinking Inside The Box wrote:

I haven't seen anyone 'threatened' by shooting film. I've seen a lot of people who don't want to shoot film, either for the first time, or again, as well as a lot of people who do want to shoot film, either instead of or in addition to digital.

Someone who states a different preference when asked is not necessarily 'threatened' by someone else's preference.

You asked why not shoot film. Some people told you. If all you gained from that is that they're threatened, I can see there are some communication issues.

Yes, communication issues, like only reading the title and missing everything else I said in the original post:

"Working in digital yes, it's works, it's fast, it's convenient and works great for when you make a living shooting. Headshots, commercial, weddings, fashion, whatever. It's hard to compete these days if you're not shooting digital. But for more creative work or  "art" work:  why not shoot film? No i don't mean that headshots or commercial work, etc, isn't or can't be creative. I'm just talking about those times where speed isn't essential. Those times where you can take a breath and just go make something cool. Who's got some film shots they want to share? I don't care if it's art, commercial, or whatever. Let's see some film."

Jul 16 14 05:28 am Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Mamiya 6x4.5 Fuji-chrome...unretouched..can you imagine my surprise when it cam back from the lab? wink

I was wondering at the time if digital could handle so much red wink...have not yet an answer on that wink

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/090111/05/4969f02de3a70.jpg

the original is even more breathtaking...

Herman
www.hermanvangestel.com

Jul 16 14 06:09 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Alex Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

Why stop at shooting film? Why not go back to using flash powder? EVOLUTION.... I "was" one of the photographers from back in the film days, and I swore I'd never go digital. Welp, early mid 90's that changed. I started working for a company that had it's hands and healthy budget into this new fangled digital photo taking contraption. At the time, it was all about productivity, offering speed and less overhead costs after initial purchase of what then was the state of the art. Still shooting film for projects not so A.S.AP. I fought with my personal gear for years into this new age of electric reliant cameras. Then it happened, I bit the bullet and joined the herd. Pros and cons were a plethora. But I have to say that up until (in my opinion) cameras like the Canon 5D and Nikon D3x came out, I finally felt that digital had surpassed analog in quality. Granted, for those who still shoot 4x5/8x10, I understand your gripe. But I feel digital has finally gotten passed the restrictions to what we wanted and knew capable with film. Do I still own film cameras? Yes. Do I feel that I can do things with them that I can't with digital? Aside from not living in paranoia when changing lenses in less that perfect situations, no. Nostalgia is for my film cameras. This goes for 35mm to 6x7.

I think the main issues film shooters from back in the day get stung with is the idea that, when we learned in the days of film, we studied the craft due to cost. Each click, $1.00. So we made each click count. Now with the overwhelming popularity of the social connection of digital photography, those who entered in the digital have had a new way of learning. Yes, there are many who "pray and spray", but honestly, if film was free, we probably would have done the same thing. Now that I think of it, the companies I use to work for were big budget companies that would send me out to shoot a head shot of some VP with a brick of film each time. On the flip side, back when I started, I was shooting weddings. And here's something most can't comprehend. A full wedding, in film, I averaged around 315 images......SHOT! No typo there, I said 3.1.5. 90% min was usable and ended up in albums and enlargements. Today? I here averages in the thousands. Before a second shooter adds to the pile.

To me, when you shoot for the dollar, it would be silly not to go digital in the sense of costs. Shooting personal, whatever for makes you happy is what you use. Why go for a bike ride when you have a car? Because you enjoy it, for what ever reason.

And I'll finish off this long drawn out comment with; How you get there is the craft, the final image is the art. What's most important to you?

Jul 16 14 06:11 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Herman van Gestel wrote:

lol, looks as if you don't consider scanning....a Nikon Coolscan scans amazing images, in a higher quality than most camera's...and in true RGB channels (whereas 1 cam-pixel =  1 color)...once scanned in, you can do all photoshop and LR over it.....with a higher starting-quality..

and considering that film-camera's are so much cheaper than digital camera's, while quality remains high...and having consistent quality, while digital camera's are so fast gone...

Btw got more dust problems on my dSLR's than on Film

Actually I have a film and flatbed scanner and scanning does not affect why I choose not to shoot film and in fact adds two reasons not to. Cost of the scanner ( if I did not already own one) and the added time to an already slower process with no discernible advantage, IMO.

Dust was not even considered in my reasons but if it was I would rather do it in PS than on a print, which I have done and hated.

Jul 16 14 06:17 am Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

when i do occasional weddings nowadays (i'm more in the exclusive scale, so don't do many) i give couples a choice...digital or film....with film costing 3x more...and guess what...most ask for film...people want to have to feeling "it's real"back....their words, not mine...

Herman
www.hermanvangestel.com

Jul 16 14 06:17 am Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

Bob Helm Photography wrote:
Dust was not even considered in my reasons but if it was I would rather do it in PS than on a print, which I have done and hated.

*sigh*...Why people think that films stops at being processed digital...scan the best and remove dust in photoshop if needs be......that said...dSLR collects more dust than SLR

Jul 16 14 06:21 am Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

I think it's best to have all options open...i use film and digital through each other, mixing techniques and processes, optimalizing for the best use.....have all the options available..

last time i was commissioned to do a series of portraits of Anton Corbijn, the noted artists portrait-photographer, famed for the U2 shots, and did that for example in film, fits better with him.

...or blues and jazz, or art projects...or high end jewellery, high end beauty...as film reacts better on skin....it depends on the art-directors, but there are more options...

Jul 16 14 06:26 am Link

Photographer

Thinking Inside The Box

Yes, communication issues, like only reading the title and missing everything else I said in the original post:

"Working in digital yes, it's works, it's fast, it's convenient and works great for when you make a living shooting. Headshots, commercial, weddings, fashion, whatever. It's hard to compete these days if you're not shooting digital. But for more creative work or  "art" work: why not shoot film? No i don't mean that headshots or commercial work, etc, isn't or can't be creative. I'm just talking about those times where speed isn't essential. Those times where you can take a breath and just go make something cool. Who's got some film shots they want to share? I don't care if it's art, commercial, or whatever. Let's see some film."

Yes, communication issues.

When I'm doing more creative work or "art" work, I use what I use because I prefer it.
For those times when speed isn't essential, I use what I use because I prefer it.
For times where you can take a breath and just go make something cool, I use what I use because I prefer it.

For  me, that's why not shoot film. Not because I'm threatened by the use of film, or other people shooting film, but because I prefer it. I've shot with a lot of different films in a wide variety of cameras over the course of a few decades, and I've processed and printed a slightly smaller range of them; it's not as if I've never used it to compare against.

Your mileage may vary.

Jul 16 14 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Tony-S

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

hooyeah123 wrote:
Man lots of people hating on film here, didn't expect that.

Nearly all of them point out only the strengths of digital. They don't mention the strengths of film, which tells me they don't know anything about film.

Jul 16 14 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Dan Dozer wrote:
Everything in my portfolio is shot on film - mostly 8 x 10.

Ahh! Old-school wonderfulness for sure!

Jul 16 14 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Tony-S wrote:

Nearly all of them point out only the strengths of digital. They don't mention the strengths of film, which tells me they don't know anything about film.

+1

Jul 16 14 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Why should I care what anybody else is doing ??

Jul 16 14 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Kythe Image

Deerfield Beach, Florida, US

I thought this was all about sharing some film shots and not arguing on expense between digital and film wink Oh well... this was shot this past weekend, Sunday.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140715/19/53c5e26d3f941_m.jpg

DK

Jul 16 14 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

exartica

Bowie, Maryland, US

Tony-S wrote:

Logic failure.  If asking me why I choose A over B, why should I waste time discussing the strengths of B.  They obviously didn't rate as highly as the strengths that led me to choose A.  Besides, the very things that you consider the strengths of B might be seen as the obvious weaknesses of B or at best irrelevant from someone else's perspective.  To just assume that someone choosing A is ignorant of the strengths of B unless they enumerate them is arrogant and patronizing.

Jul 16 14 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Murphy Photo

Pawleys Island, South Carolina, US

Working in digital yes, it's works, it's fast, it's convenient and works great for when you make a living shooting. Headshots, commercial, weddings, fashion, whatever. It's hard to compete these days if you're not shooting digital. But for more creative work or  "art" work:  why not shoot film? No i don't mean that headshots or commercial work, etc, isn't or can't be creative. I'm just talking about those times where speed isn't essential. Those times where you can take a breath and just go make something cool. Who's got some film shots they want to share? I don't care if it's art, commercial, or whatever. Let's see some film.

100% of my black and white personal stuff is shot with film (T-Max 100) and mostly with the Hasselblad. I go to the Nikons only if I do not have an equivalent focal length with my CZ lenses. Digital black and white has come a long way, to be sure, but it still has a LONG way to go before it will seriously challenge the quality of film.

Jul 16 14 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY

Jacksonville, Florida, US

The last time I shot film was for client and it was for slides I used velvia100 Fuji film, the colors are awesome !

Jul 16 14 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Yeah, I don't have a horse and buggy any more either. The world moves on.

However, I can think of one thing you might want to do with film that would be of value for you as a photographer. Back when we did shoot film, if you had a serious career in the business you had one or two medium format cameras and the lenses that went with them. You can get an image with a medium format camera (and the lenses which are really the trick) which is hard (but not impossible) to duplicate with a 35mm rig.

Everyone has some kind of 35mm digital set up, they can be very cheap and still, in the right hands, produce a remarkable image. But who has a medium format digital camera today? Big bucks, and a mess to manage. However, you can get a medium format film camera and a lens or two today for next to nothing. If you can find 120/220 film, and someone to process it, you can see the images that medium format are able to produce on the cheap.

It is educational, and the end result is you start lusting after $10,000 - $20,000+ digital medium format cameras. Now isn't that just special!

John
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 633
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
(305) 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Jul 16 14 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

the OP said why not shoot film....the posters are answering...the negative comments are coming from film users that seem to hang on to a dying art form....no one is saying film is not art...but...it has been replaced...like the horse and buggy...nothing like a day for a ride in it but I will prefer modern transportation

Jul 16 14 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel

Brooklyn, New York, US

mophotoart wrote:
I will prefer modern transportation

Has the DOT started adding bike lanes in Wichita?

Jul 16 14 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel

Brooklyn, New York, US

why not shoot film?

It is a huge fucking pain in the ass.

Jul 16 14 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Costs more for similar effects I can get with digital. The difference is there, it's not better or worse, just aesthetic differences.

I put a roll through a camera once a quarter or so for funsies... Using the best film available, on some fantastic cameras (Canon 1 series Nikon F4, RB67, 500cm, etc) and at the end of the day... my 5DII with 135L and 1v with the same lens and "good" film... sorry, but the 5DII wins. Same with my D600 and 85/1.4G compared to my F4. The MF wins on aesthetic basis, but it's mostly (90%) nostalgia...

Jul 16 14 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Thinking Inside The Box

Tony-S wrote:

https://www.kevinconnery.com/graphics/anim_rofl.gif

Tools are for using. Pick the one(s) you like.

Deciding that people who choose one tool over another only do so because they don't know anything about their other options is ludicrous.

It doesn't matter if it's 8x10 film, a 4x5 scanning back camera, 6x7 film, MF digital, or a cardboard box with a pinhole; every one of these has advantages and disadvantages, and it may well be that their decision is based on more knowledge--particularly of their personal approach to photography--rather than less. But insisting there's only one reason--ignorance--says more about the 'critic' than it does the writer.

Jul 16 14 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Charlie-CNP wrote:
Another argument that you will often see is the quality difference between film and digital. Digital has technically never been able to replicate what film does "exactly". Why, because it is a different medium. Aside from those that are classically trained, 99.9% of people out there can not see the difference, and are not going to care what you shot with as long as they can somehow subject their own views onto the image, and relate to it by some means. The funny part is that some of the photographers that are experienced with film can pull out the film camera, and there will be a whole line up of folks that want to shoot with them all of a sudden that have either never experienced film before, or that put some form of worth/stock into the fact that they are willing to invest so much time and resources into making an image in an old process like that.

I think you probably have to say "People using digital are not able to replicate film exactly."

I'm pretty sure that if you leave the lens cap on a film camera and a digital camera and shoot the inside of the cap, it's going to look identical as film or digital.

So one thing to consider is the scene you're shooting, some will be easier than others to match.

In addition, lens coatings make a big difference in the look. Put an ultra contrast filter on a modern lens, and you're part way to the film look with that alone.

Beyond that, you need to have digital post skills. Period. Even if you don't want to make digital look like film, you need that skill to make it look good. I'm sure most people transitioning from film to digital would feel very different about it if they sent their memory cards to a lab for processing and got back a lightroom catalog that had great looking RAW conversions.

If you shoot film and send it to a lab, are you really qualified to evaluate digital? If you're not hands on in the film processing, are you really going to be as hands on with RAW conversion?

And even if the answer is yes, how long does it take to develop the equivalent digital skills as the tech at the lab has when it comes to processing your film?

Most people simply don't make accurate comparisons.

The way to know whether someone is basing their preference for film on legitimate factors is when they're not comparing film to digital, but instead identifying specific film stocks. They don't all look the same, and people have preferred looks which will be connected to the specific stocks.

Even though digital is another format, it's really not any different from selecting a film stock with those characteristics.

Jul 16 14 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Charlie-CNP wrote:
99.9% of people out there can not see the difference

One reason for that is when you look online at a film vs digital comparison, they're both digital!

There's really no way to make a proper comparison. It's possible to shoot scene with both digital and film, but how do you compare them. Both in a computer doesn't work. A computer and a print makes no sense. Two prints will most likely be an ink jet print compared to a photo print.

The closest you can get to a even comparison would be to shoot slides and project them onto a wall next to a digital projection and I doubt anyone has taken the time to do that.

Jul 16 14 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

yes...we have bike lanes in select locations, see all kinds of people riding their bikes in 0 degree and a foot of snow on their way to work, the DOT will continue to support this and build more bike paths....that is an economic thing to do

Jul 16 14 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

The techocrats here really crack me up
Paint and canvas is so old hat, technology has made painting totally obsolete.
Stratovarious what serious musician uses a 300 yr old instrument computers are so much better.
Unbelievable

Jul 16 14 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

confused...no one said a strad or a davinci was inferior to modern instruments or art forms... ....no one takes the time to create that classic art....or appreciate it or even have the clue to do that....the subject is about film vrs digital and the fact is, digital wins....a strad...yes...wins...daVinci...yes ...wins...but I will argue over tube amps and vinyl also...

Jul 16 14 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

https://www.kevinconnery.com/graphics/anim_rofl.gif

Tools are for using. Pick the one(s) you like.

Deciding that people who choose one tool over another only do so because they don't know anything about their other options is ludicrous.

It doesn't matter if it's 8x10 film, a 4x5 scanning back camera, 6x7 film, MF digital, or a cardboard box with a pinhole; every one of these has advantages and disadvantages, and it may well be that their decision is based on more knowledge--particularly of their personal approach to photography--rather than less. But insisting there's only one reason--ignorance--says more about the 'critic' than it does the writer.

You need to go back and read more posts. Lots of photographers are saying that they have never shot film and they don't want to try it.

Jul 16 14 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel

Brooklyn, New York, US

Mikey McMichaels wrote:
There's really no way to make a proper comparison. It's possible to shoot scene with both digital and film, but how do you compare them.

Sure there is. Edge detail. Grain structure. Tonal range (especially in the highlights). ...in a print ...under a loupe ...wearing white gloves ...in a clean room ....in the basement of Christie's. (Or try sharpening a high speed color print film and see what it does to your shadows.)

Fortunately, good photographs don't care about any of that; nor should they.

Jul 16 14 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Perfect Exposure

New York, New York, US

"B+H Photo & Video" and "Adorama" both have large selections of film to choose from.. Professional labs are disappearing quickly, but one that I can recommend is "Modernage" (modernage.com). All three are located in Manhattan. Hope that helps your search for film and photo labs...

Jul 16 14 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Daniel wrote:

Sure there is. Edge detail. Grain structure. Tonal range (especially in the highlights). ...in a print ...under a loupe ...wearing white gloves ...in a clean room ....in the basement of Christie's. (Or try sharpening a high speed color print film and see what it does to your shadows.)

Fortunately, good photographs don't care about any of that; nor should they.

What do you compare, negative or print and do you compare it to a computer screen or an iPad or an ink jet print?

Which film stock = "film"?

Jul 17 14 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Al Green XM

Townsville, Queensland, Australia

Michael DBA Expressions wrote:
I choose not to shoot film if I can help it because it is more expensive, involves a bunch of nasty chemicals, is potentially hazardous to the environment as well as the practitioner, and does not produce images that are in any way superior (just different).

Folks who want to shoot film are welcome to do so. I'll pass, thank you. Been there, done that, don't wanna do it again.

Yeah I'm well over film but admire the work of many afficiandos

Jul 17 14 05:35 am Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Cost, noxious and sometimes harmful vapors, hypo-stained fingers, time spent developing and drying the negatives, waiting for hours (at least) after the shoot to see the results...

The main advantage is that you can make silver-based prints (assuming we're talking b&w) - and that's a big advantage, since prints on non-light sensitive paper haven't matched silver processes yet.

If you're going to digital from film, shooting and developing film is just an unnecessary, expensive and time-consuming step.

Jul 17 14 06:01 am Link

Photographer

Daniel

Brooklyn, New York, US

Mikey McMichaels wrote:

What do you compare, negative or print and do you compare it to a computer screen or an iPad or an ink jet print?

Which film stock = "film"?

I meant to say negative (my experience with print film is about two rolls), which may change your question.

Jul 17 14 11:18 am Link