Forums > Photography Talk > why not shoot film?

Photographer

BodyshotsNYNude

Babylon, New York, US

Kevin Alex Photography wrote:
Ya know what I haven't had in a while? Big League Chew.

OK so at the end of the day, it may come down to this:

The New York Institute of Photography has as its motto: It isn't the violin; it's the violinist.

And it's true.

A photographer should be able to make an image with film, digital or a Quaker Oats box with a pinhole it.

The photograph is not inside the camera; it's in the eye and head of the artist. The camera is a tool to complete the process.

We, as a community, should agree to disagree. This goes into the bucket of non-resolvable debate:

Nikon or Canon
JPG or Raw
God or No God
Stick Shift or Automatic
Gay Marriage or No Gay Marriage
Chocolate or Vanilla
Classical or Rap
Jeans or Business attire
MaryAnne or Jeannie
Big League Chew or Bazooka

It's all opinion! And there is no right or wrong with opinion.

Film has lasted for over 100 years. Most of the most dazzling images of the 21st century were made on digital.

So pick your favorite and work hard to perfect your craft using your tool of choice.

All I know is that I have taken some pretty nice photos of naked women using both mediums. 

And for me, that's enough.

Jul 30 14 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

mophotoart wrote:
saw a post about getting the "film" processed...real film shooters did it in the darkroom...I wish every film poster had to do the darkroom days..developing the film, doing your negatives  in a blacked out room, contact sheets, then dodge, burn, chemicals, timing, for every single print... .this would not be a debate...seriously

I do this every week.  Last Saturday did twelve rolls of B&W and eight rolls of C-41 (120).  Tonight I'll develop my 4x5.  I also print in the darkroom (including contacts, dodging, burning, chemicals, timing - and yes, for every single print).

This darkroom, for what it's worth:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140214/18/52fed249ba807.jpg

So what's the debate that you think should be ended, exactly?  Because some people lack the skills or motivation the rest of us should stop?

Jul 30 14 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

i wonder how people would do if you put them just a regular film SLR in their hands.....

it's all the same basics as dSLR after all......just set it, aperture, speed, measure, and go smile

Herman
www.hermanvangestel.com

Jul 30 14 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

BodyshotsNYNude

Babylon, New York, US

Herman van Gestel wrote:
i wonder how people would do if you put them just a regular film SLR in their hands.....

it's all the same basics as dSLR after all......just set it, aperture, speed, measure, and go smile

Herman
www.hermanvangestel.com

Well, that was my point two posts up.  The "moment of truth" is when the shutter is open and the aperture stopped down; when the light hits the medium.

All the other stuff on a camera are just additional tools to the tool to make things easier.

Let's face it, you can make an image by holding the lens cap over the open shutter, removing it to make the exposure and then replacing it, but it's easier to have the camera do it with the shutter curtains.

Autofocus, bracketing, etc, etc,  are all adjuncts to a light proof box that makes an image during the moment of truth, when light hits the medium.

All those adjuncts are available on both film and digital cameras.

But they can't see the red cardinal in a snow laden shrub... that's where YOUR EYE comes in.

Pick your weapon, or poison of your choice and shoot shoot shoot.

Jul 30 14 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Tony-S

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Frank McDonough wrote:

I wasn't really thinking 4x5 or 8x10 format , but that's probably true.

And even in 35mm, depending on the film and developer.

Jul 30 14 03:00 pm Link