Forums > Photography Talk > Tipping a model after a shoot

Photographer

afplcc-Glamour

Fairfax, Virginia, US

AdrienneEichner wrote:
Hi. I just photographed a model and paid her for the shoot in Washington D.C. I'm pleased with the photos and would like to do something for the model. I do not have a phone number or address. The shoot was 3.5 hours long and she was so much fun to work with. How do I tip or reward her?

First, you should have a signed model release with her real name and address.  Send something to her using that.  If you're not using a release,  you should start doing so.

Second, if you're shooting nudes, it makes sense to take a picture of an ID (to have records verifying she's 18 or older).

I'm assuming you paid her.  I don't think there's a need for a tip.  But you can certainly leave a tag on her profile (emphasizing traits that would draw other photographers like...she arrived on time, pre-shoot comm. was great, she was easy to work with/no drama or ego).

Last of all, book her again.  And tell her you're willing to be a referral.  And list her MM# on your profile as someone that you highly recommend.  All of those will beat a gift card or an extra $20.

--Ed

Jul 20 14 04:31 am Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

I've been rewarded with food (even chocolate) after a good shoot, so food works, too.
big_smile

Jul 20 14 04:56 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

J Jessica wrote:
I've been rewarded with food (even chocolate) after a good shoot, so food works, too.
big_smile

I took a model to lunch after a long shoot.  She was hungry and suggested it.
A photo from that shoot is in my portfolio and has had over 10,200 views.  smile

Jul 20 14 05:21 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

You've already paid. "Tip" her with good referrals and more paid work.

Crap like this is why models think they need all the RAWs from a shoot.

Jul 20 14 05:34 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

William Kious wrote:
You've already paid. "Tip" her with good referrals and more paid work.

Crap like this is why models think they need all the RAWs from a shoot.

I have never worked with a model who wanted all the RAWs from the shoot.

Jul 20 14 05:41 am Link

Photographer

San Francisco, California, US

When it comes to tipping, I feel that certain people should be shown gratuity. For example, you should NEVER tip your physician, dentist or anyone with a professional degree. It's their sole responsibility to treat and respect you as their patients.

Even us photographers, let's face it—we're not curing cancers or finding ways to cure world's ailments. I would feel a little unsettled being tipped. It my JOB to take amazing pictures of whoever hires me. What I really want, if I impressed and performed above and beyond my duties is future repeated business OR a promising referral.

When it comes to models, I don't think they should be "tipped" either. You do your BEST to give them the images for them to use to receive further work.

Jul 20 14 08:56 am Link

Photographer

San Francisco, California, US

Before anyone comes after me with pitch forks for being cold-hearted, I assure you. I am not. One of my recent male models—I "tipped" him by introducing him to a modeling agency here in San Francisco and a few weeks later, he got cast in a Wells Fargo nationwide ad—I even saw him on my TV!!!

Jul 20 14 08:59 am Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

I'm with Roland on this one.

If you are hiring a professional for the job, it's hardly a minimum wage.
Being nice about it and treating all parties with respect shows professionalism and not a matter of tipping.

Jul 20 14 09:06 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Ronald N. Tan wrote:
When it comes to tipping, I feel that certain people should be shown gratuity. For example, you should NEVER tip your physician, dentist or anyone with a professional degree. It's their sole responsibility to treat and respect you as their patients.

Even us photographers, let's face it—we're not curing cancers or finding ways to cure world's ailments. I would feel a little unsettled being tipped. It my JOB to take amazing pictures of whoever hires me. What I really want, if I impressed and performed above and beyond my duties is future repeated business OR a promising referral.

When it comes to models, I don't think they should be "tipped" either. You do your BEST to give them the images for them to use to receive further work.

I do like one of the things you're expressing, in that there should NOT be, and we should not create an expectation of being tipped.

However, in those circumstances where we might feel a desire to express our gratitude in a professional manner, why not, after all, shouldn't a gratuity really be given freely out of gratitude and not out of obligation.

that is the fun thing about a real gratuity, doing something kind for another person because you want to, not because you have to.

Jul 20 14 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

DougBPhoto wrote:

I do like one of the things you're expressing, in that there should NOT be, and we should not create an expectation of being tipped.

However, in those circumstances where we might feel a desire to express our gratitude in a professional manner, why not, after all, shouldn't a gratuity really be given freely out of gratitude and not out of obligation.

that is the fun thing about a real gratuity, doing something kind for another person because you want to, not because you have to.

+1

Jul 20 14 09:21 am Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

AdrienneEichner wrote:
Hi. I just photographed a model and paid her for the shoot in Washington D.C. I'm pleased with the photos and would like to do something for the model. I do not have a phone number or address. The shoot was 3.5 hours long and she was so much fun to work with. How do I tip or reward her?

oh thank goodness you meant tipping as in giving a gift...
From the title I thought you meant like "COW TIPPING" and I was going to go get Mikey and have him get all offended at you....
big_smile

Jul 21 14 02:59 am Link

Photographer

Amul La La

London, England, United Kingdom

AdrienneEichner wrote:

You already paid her, surely that's reward enough.

Phone no', you wouldn't have it unless she deemed it necessary, confirmation of shoot date/time/location etc.

Address you wouldn't of had that unless you did a home shoot for e.g, or as others have mentioned had a release, there are very small margins outside of shoot margins for shows of affection, so I'd reframe from attempting to send chocolates n flowers other gestures of endearment to her address, some people could find it clingy, creepy, stalker-ish etc. . Keep it pro.

Jul 21 14 03:08 am Link