Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Best products for contouring?

Model

camilleboire

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

My skin is quite fair and I often have a hard time contouring properly. I would be very grateful if anyone cares to share some of their favourite/tried-and-tested products for contouring (brushes/tools included). smile

Jul 27 14 09:49 pm Link

Model

Payton Hailey

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Marc Jacobs makes a great bronzer that is now my go to for contouring

Jul 29 14 06:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

XOBeautyAddict

New York, New York, US

Contouring should be done with a brown that has a grey undertone because contouring is meant to cast shadows. Bronzer just warms up the complexion. Smashbox has recently come out with a contour kit that has an excellent contour shade and also comes with a bronzer and highlighting powder.

Jul 31 14 09:25 am Link

Hair Stylist

Katlyn Shuart

Tampa, Florida, US

A friend of mine has fair skin as well as I always use MAC Taupe on her which is a blush but really I use for contour. You can use a bronzer if you want there are no rules in makeup but yes people do generally want something that will cast shadows. I sometimes use Too Face Chocolate Soleil though based on what looks I am trying to create. As far as brushes I would try Real Techniques contour brush its pretty good at a nice price point.

Aug 02 14 03:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tara Pagliara MUA

New York, New York, US

It depends on how your skin is as well. It can be done both beautifully with creme product and with powders. There is not ONE right way to do it.
Which types of products do you prefer and are you a makeup minimalist or do you not mind more product?

Aug 03 14 12:26 pm Link

Model

lexychang

Sacramento, California, US

Anastasia contour kit!

Aug 03 14 12:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Leanne Harpin

Fairfield, Connecticut, US

Jordan Liberty has got you covered!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-OAbuw9Du0

Aug 05 14 11:52 am Link

Model

Laura Van Kleef

Palmdale, California, US

Benefit Hula Bronzer! Never pick a bronzer with shimmer as it will reduce any look of benefiting the contour. smile

Aug 05 14 05:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MUA Janine

San Francisco, California, US

Stay away from Bronzers to contour; this is frequently mistake number one. Most bronzers will warm up the skin, like someone else has already stated. MAC makes some pretty good ones I'm also a big fan of the new Contour Kit by Anastasia.

Aug 07 14 08:50 am Link

Makeup Artist

Gabriela Brandao

Florianópolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil

Kevin Aucoin The Sculpting Powder (Medium) is the only contour product I've ever tried that has the grayish undertone, so it's perfect for contouring wink

Aug 12 14 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

camilleboire wrote:
My skin is quite fair and I often have a hard time contouring properly. I would be very grateful if anyone cares to share some of their favourite/tried-and-tested products for contouring (brushes/tools included). smile

Camilleboire with porcelain or ivory complexion such as yours I typically use a foundation hue/chroma a shade or touch richer than your natural base...
Usually endeavor to stay in the same undertone... 
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140731/19/53daf82b9d4ef.jpg

That said, it's oh so easy when airbrushing in as I simply add a drop or two of the next shade deeper into the cup, backbubble a lit' to mix and go with this... since I'm able to control flow precisely with a dual action airbrush it's easy to lay down a thin mist/veil of product to achieve the subtle shading necessary...

A second choice would be using a cream base... again a touch of a shade deeper on the mixing palette works it's magic effectively...

Also achieve highlighting in precisely the same manner... this workflow has served me quiet well over the years...

Less is more here...

hope this helps...

Aug 12 14 03:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Heather J M

London, England, United Kingdom

Gabriela Brandao wrote:
Kevin Aucoin The Sculpting Powder (Medium) is the only contour product I've ever tried that has the grayish undertone, so it's perfect for contouring wink

Only opened this thread to make sure someone had mentioned Kevyn Aucoin sculpting powder.

Aug 17 14 10:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

AJ Powell MUA

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

MacMeOver wrote:
Contouring should be done with a brown that has a grey undertone because contouring is meant to cast shadows. Bronzer just warms up the complexion. Smashbox has recently come out with a contour kit that has an excellent contour shade and also comes with a bronzer and highlighting powder.

YES YES YES! Thank you! Bronzer is for bronzing, contour should be grey/taupe/cool toned depending on the individuals skin tone.
I live to read comments like yours!

Aug 26 14 07:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Gavin Pickle

London, England, United Kingdom

Anastasia Beverly Hills contour colours are amazing. Plenty of cool shades for all skin colours, even the darkest of dark. And some lovely highlight shades too including a gorgeous peach and soft yellow.

Aug 29 14 06:56 am Link