Lovely Day Media wrote:
I'd have to spend at least an hour cutting the vegetables up

That seems woefully inefficient.

Aug 07 14 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
The only thing I'd be missing is time. I'm one who prefers eating to live (as opposed to living to eat). Faster is better for me (I know it's not always healthier, but I wasn't referring to that). So, when I'm hungry, I can open the freezer, pull out a hamburger and have it cooked and ready to eat in 10-15 minutes.

If I wanted to make vegetable soup, I'd have to spend at least an hour cutting the vegetables up, boiling the water, adding the seasoning, etc etc.  4-5 hours later, it *might* be done.

For me, it has nothing to do with the media and everything to do with my personal experience.

With all due respect... but... you are comparing apples to macademia nuts here...

If I want to have a veggie burger, I can pull my favorite veggie pattie out of my freezer and have a veggie burger ready in the SAME amount of time you need to get yours done!

I bet if you are making some beef stew or whatever... you will need as much or more time as your freshly made veggie soup.

How long does it take you to make pasta with tomato sauce or bolognese (I make an excellent one with a mashed veggie pattie).

How long does it take you to make an omelet (I am a vegetarian not a vegan)?

How long does it take to make a sandwich with a veggie slice, topped with a slice of tomato or cucumber?

How long does it take you to cook rice and add it to stir fried?

While the rice is cooking, you chop veggies, add mushrooms and seitan in leue of meat cubes?

I am telling you... it takes the same or even less time to prepare your vegetarian meal than your meat dishes...

Unless you decide that the only acceptable food for your vegetarian diet would be an elaborate vegetable soup that takes almost five hours to cook... then you are out of luck with a plant based diet.

If you are flexible on the soup... you won't have problems... smile

Aug 07 14 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

I'm a photographer ... not a chef. I like and need my fingers so I don't want to chop them off trying to save 5-6 seconds here or there.

Aug 07 14 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

I suggest you get a mandolin. It will speed vegetable cutting hugely. Split pea or lentil soups are fast with not a lot of veggie prep.

Aug 07 14 02:33 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
I'm a photographer ... not a chef. I like and need my fingers so I don't want to chop them off trying to save 5-6 seconds here or there.

My boyfriend and I are both artists who value our hands and can chop up enough veggies for a VAT of soup in like 10 minutes.

I will concede that a good broth takes a while to simmer. I cut that in half by saving the juices that come from pan frying vegetables (mostly tomatoes and mushrooms) that I throw in red sauce for pasta.

Aug 07 14 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

sjx

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Does a mango qualify?

https://www.americangallery.com/studio/mm/asja610545.jpg

Aug 07 14 02:37 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

sjx wrote:
Does a mango qualify?

https://www.americangallery.com/studio/mm/asja610545.jpg

GTFO THERE IS A THREAD ABOUT FRUIT. THIS IS THE ONE ABOUT VEGGIES.

Gosh.

Aug 07 14 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

udor wrote:
With all due respect... but... you are comparing apples to macademia nuts here...

If I want to have a veggie burger, I can pull my favorite veggie pattie out of my freezer and have a veggie burger ready in the SAME amount of time you need to get yours done!

I bet if you are making some beef stew or whatever... you will need as much or more time as your freshly made veggie soup.

How long does it take you to make pasta with tomato sauce or bolognese (I make an excellent one with a mashed veggie pattie).

How long does it take you to make an omelet (I am a vegetarian not a vegan)?

How long does it take to make a sandwich with a veggie slice, topped with a slice of tomato or cucumber?

How long does it take you to cook rice and add it to stir fried?

While the rice is cooking, you chop veggies, add mushrooms and seitan in leue of meat cubes?

I am telling you... it takes the same or even less time to prepare your vegetarian meal than your meat dishes...

Unless you decide that the only acceptable food for your vegetarian diet would be an elaborate vegetable soup that takes almost five hours to cook... then you are out of luck with a plant based diet.

If you are flexible on the soup... you won't have problems... smile

This all assumes that I ever make beef stew (I don't). If I'm making a stir fry, cooking the rice is by and large irrelevant to me because I don't have to babysit it. To fix the stir fry, though, I'm going to spend a long time cutting vegetables.

I'm sure a veggie burger takes the same or less time to cook that I'd spend cooking a beef burger, but I'm not one who eats veggie burgers because they make my feet hurt (I think it's the salt content that does it).

To cook pasta, after the water boils, it takes 9 minutes. The sauce will come from a jar and can be heated while the water is heating. I'm usually not one to make omelets for the simple reason that cutting vegetables is not something I want to do all that often. After they're cut, though, the omelet can be done in 5-10 minutes or so.

I don't know what a veggie slice is and I don't cook with meat cubes.

As I said, I'm not downing or trying to down anyone who eats a totally vegetable based diet. I see merit in it. I just don't personally have the patience.

Aug 07 14 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:
My boyfriend and I are both artists who value our hands and can chop up enough veggies for a VAT of soup in like 10 minutes.

Are you saying that because you're able to do it, I should be able to, also? What if it's something you enjoy doing so you practice doing it all the time where it's something I don't enjoy doing so I only do it when I feel it's necessary?

As a much younger person, I used to try helping my mother peel potatoes. By the time I got 1 peeled, she'd have 10 or 15 peeled. Needless to say, I'd never make it in a restaurant where I had to do this all the time. Fortunately I don't aspire to be a chef. I aspire to be a pro photographer.

Aug 07 14 02:47 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
Are you saying that because you're able to do it, I should be able to, also?

I don't think it's quite as serious as this reply is making it out to be (lol), but yeah, I'd say if a number of people who I know to be able to chop up veggies in a reasonable amount of time, other people could possibly be able to do the same thing.

Aug 07 14 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

udor wrote:
You must be sooo proud to be a real meathead!    roll   facepalm

Udor

There is an author whose articles I used to read a long time ago.

He stated that people needed to live lifestyles as close to that of cavemen/ hunter gatherers as possible.

He said we are still basically cavemen, just living in an artificial, unhealthy environment.

He said we should get rid of as much artificial foods as possible.

We should eat lots of fruits, nuts, lean meat-- and drink fresh water instead of caffeinated, sugary beverages.

He rejected vegetarianism because he said there is nothing wrong about eating lean meat, especially fish and chicken.

He said that there is a psychological satisfaction that people get from eating meat. That it reinforces our primal nature at the top of the food chain.

He was an avid weight lifter/ runner, and ripped into his mid-fifties-- which is the last I read the magazine he wrote in.

So do you think that there is a psychological reason for why some people eat meat? And a psychological reason for why others don't?

Aug 07 14 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

DEP E510 wrote:

Udor

He stated that people needed to live lifestyles as close to that of cavemen/ hunter gatherers as possible.

He said we are still basically cavemen, just living in an artificial, unhealthy environment.

We should eat lots of fruits, nuts, lean meat-- and drink fresh water instead of caffeinated, sugary beverages.

He rejected vegetarianism because he said there is nothing wrong about eating lean meat, especially fish and chicken.

He said that there is a psychological satisfaction that people get from eating meat. That it reinforces our primal nature at the top of the food chain.

He was an avid weight lifter/ runner, and ripped into his mid-fifties-- which is the last I read the magazine he wrote in.

So do you think that there is a psychological reason for why some people eat meat? And a psychological reason for why others don't?

A person who eats meat

wants to get his teeth into something

A person who does not eat meat

wants to get his teeth into something else

If these thoughts interest you for even a moment

you are lost

Leonard Cohen from Selected Poems 1956-1968

Aug 07 14 02:58 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

DEP E510 wrote:

Udor

So you're defending someone that said "LOL" three times in response to veganism, and falsely claimed that it caused atrophy of the muscles?

Oh.

Aug 07 14 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

DEP E510 wrote:
Udor

Debunking the paleo diet: Christina Warinner

This woman is talking actual science based on plaque on fossil finds etc., her talk is extremely interesting, just from a general nutritional point of few and she refers to all those books and says non of them have any base in archaeology etc.

The Paleo diet you are referring to has some great common sense and ideas, as little processed foods as possible... but... heck... just take a look yourself, she puts it all in context.

Aug 07 14 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

So you're defending someone that said "LOL" three times in response to veganism, and falsely claimed that it caused atrophy of the muscles?

Oh.

Hello

I am defending no one.

I asked Udor does he believe psychology enters into the desire for meat. A desire inherited from our hunter-gatherer forebears.

I also asked do people reject meat for psychological reasons more than a simple love of veggies.

Aug 07 14 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:
I don't think it's quite as serious as this reply is making it out to be (lol), but yeah, I'd say if a number of people who I know to be able to chop up veggies in a reasonable amount of time, other people could possibly be able to do the same thing.

In no place did I say (or imply, that I know of) that it's impossible to chop veggies in a reasonable amount of time (whatever the definition of reasonable is). I just said I can't do it. I'm not saying I'll never be able to do it because with enough time, practice and desire almost everything is possible ... but I don't have the desire. This is a skill I don't have and don't desire to develop.

It's great if someone else has or develops it and I wish them well. I don't have it and until the desire is there, I'll never have it.

Aug 07 14 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

DEP E510 wrote:

Hello

I am defending no one.

I asked Udor does he believe psychology enters into the desire for meat. A desire inherited from our hunter-gatherer forebears.

I also asked do people reject meat for psychological reasons more than a simple love of veggies.

Maybe you should start your own thread. This thread is about the enjoyment and appreciation of vegetables. It's not about arguing the merits of vegetarianism.

Aug 07 14 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

DEP E510 wrote:

"Psychological satisfaction" from eating meat...

First..., if there were any psychological satisfaction based on ancient hunter/gatherer traits then that would be rather caused by cultural upbringing and what kind of archetypes are being fed into the kid, which become then the basis of it's psychology.

When predators, real predators see a little bunny hopping over the grass... the predator is salivating and want to attack...

Ever seen a toddler that doesn't learn cultural bias about meat yet, reacting to a bunny... it wants to play and cuddle...

I want to see the reaction of the toddler when you take that bunny, use a man made tool such a butcher's knife and chop it's head off and prepare it for the frying pan... Human instinct is differently wired, which you can see in it's pure form in children.

A predator kid would be squealing for joy... do you think a human child would have the same reaction? Don't think so.

There is another interesting talk about the food we were meant to eat... and it has shown that the ancients' diet was mostly starches and vegetables... and the people were lean and healthy... the ones that had the money, the rich, or as the author says "Kings and Queens"... who had a mostly meat based diet as a sign of wealth suffered the same diseases of our times, where everybody is on the diet of Kings and Queens.

If you want that link, I'll gladly provide it to you... it's some really cool information! smile

EDIT: There is another important factor about that satisfaction of eating meat... and that is not psychological, it's chemical. The biggest factor is adrenalin which is saturated in the animal tissue by the time they are killed... the stress pumps them full with adrenalin, which only breaks down via muscle contraction and not via heat. Exact connection was explained to me by a micro-biologist doing research at Cornell Weil Medical Center, here in my neighborhood.

Anyway... that adrenalin has an addictive quality and that's when meat eaters getting "withdrawals" after a few days without meat and feel that they MUST have meat... it's the adrenalin addiction talking... to get rid of this... it usually takes about 2 weeks... which is the worst time for many people... but once this is out of your system... it's all fine and dandy.

Aug 07 14 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

Dean Johnson Photo wrote:

Maybe you should start your own thread. This thread is about the enjoyment and appreciation of vegetables. It's not about arguing the merits of vegetarianism.

Maybe you should complain about people posting pics of hamburgers in a veggie thread.

Or did you miss that?

Maybe in your mind postings pics of meat in a veggie thread is not off topic, but asking a question about psychology of vegetarianism is off topic in an I love veggies thread.

Aug 07 14 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

udor wrote:

"Psychological satisfaction" from eating meat...

First..., if there were any psychological satisfaction based on ancient hunter/gatherer traits then that would be rather caused by cultural upbringing and what kind of archetypes are being fed into the kid, which become then the basis of it's psychology.

When predators, real predators see a little bunny hopping over the grass... the predator is salivating and want to attack...

Every seen a toddler that doesn't learn cultural bias about meat reacting to a bunny... it wants to play and cuddle...

I want to see the reaction of the toddler when you take that bunny, use a man made tool such a butcher's knife and chop it's head off and prepare it for the frying pan... Human instinct is differently wired, which you can see in it's pure form in children.

A predator kid would be squealing for joy... do you think a human child would have the same reaction? Don't think so.

There is another interesting talk about the food we were meant to eat... and it has shown that the ancients' diet was mostly starches and vegetables... and the people were lean and healthy... the ones that had the money, the rich, or as the author says "Kings and Queens"... who had a mostly meat based diet as a sign of wealth suffered the same diseases of our times, where everybody is on the diet of Kings and Queens.

If you want that link, I'll gladly provide it to you... it's some really cool information! smile

EDIT: There is another important factor about that satisfaction of eating meat... and that is not psychological, it's chemical. The biggest factor is adrenalin which is saturated in the animal tissue by the time they are killed... the stress pumps them full with adrenalin, which only breaks down via muscle contraction and not via heat. Exact connection was explained to me by a micro-biologist doing research at Cornell Weil Medical Center, here in my neighborhood.

Anyway... that adrenalin has an addictive quality and that's when meat eaters getting "withdrawals" after a few days without meat and feel that they MUST have meat... it's the adrenalin addiction talking... to get rid of this... it usually takes about 2 weeks... which is the worst time for many people... but once this is out of your system... it's all fine and dandy.

Fascinating Udor.

Thank you for the intelligent and enlightening response!

Aug 07 14 04:04 pm Link

Model

Payton Hailey

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Kale chips, delish!

Aug 07 14 04:42 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

I love to eat vegan (i'm lactose-free vegetarian with vegan tendencies), but cauliflower is one of the veggies I don't think i'd ever touch with a 10 foot pole.

Eggplant and Mushroom are like my BFFs, however.

Aug 07 14 04:48 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:

In no place did I say (or imply, that I know of) that it's impossible to chop veggies in a reasonable amount of time (whatever the definition of reasonable is). I just said I can't do it. I'm not saying I'll never be able to do it because with enough time, practice and desire almost everything is possible ... but I don't have the desire. This is a skill I don't have and don't desire to develop.

It's great if someone else has or develops it and I wish them well. I don't have it and until the desire is there, I'll never have it.

https://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/content/images/s8e10/kevin_ok_then.gif

Aug 07 14 05:52 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Lovely Day Media wrote:

Are you saying that because you're able to do it, I should be able to, also? What if it's something you enjoy doing so you practice doing it all the time where it's something I don't enjoy doing so I only do it when I feel it's necessary?

As a much younger person, I used to try helping my mother peel potatoes. By the time I got 1 peeled, she'd have 10 or 15 peeled. Needless to say, I'd never make it in a restaurant where I had to do this all the time. Fortunately I don't aspire to be a chef. I aspire to be a pro photographer.

You're not alone.

It takes me an hour just chopping stuff up. I can't chop fast. It's okay though, because I like to cook.

Aug 07 14 07:46 pm Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

J Jessica wrote:
I love to eat vegan (i'm lactose-free vegetarian with vegan tendencies), but cauliflower is one of the veggies I don't think i'd ever touch with a 10 foot pole.

Eggplant and Mushroom are like my BFFs, however.

It is possible that someone served bad cauliflower to you in your past. Let's give it a second chance. smile I used to hate grapefruit as a kid. Because I didn't know how to choose the right one. Now I eat it every other day.

I love mushrooms especially king oyster mushrooms. I should go to the farmer market to get this type of mushroom soon!

I have to ask you how you do eggplants. I never do eggplants at home, so I always have a chef serve eggplant based dishes to me.

Aug 08 14 02:10 am Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

Ah, I didn't expect how this thread turned out. Udor, thanks for explaining this. Dean Johnson, yes, that's what goal I aimed for starting this thread. 

Lovely Day Media, I would buy prepped (or frozen) vegetables if I don't want to chop veggies myself for hours. For example, my wrists got injured a few years ago, so I am unable to cut hard veggies such as Japanese pumpkins and coconuts. I have my corner store prep them for me. Some grocery stores have prepped veggies for some people as well.

I also have a special rice cooker that works as a crock pot. I don't have to watch cooking soups on my stove all day. My rice cooker sauteed, boil, simmer, and bake for me. It has a timer.

A chopper could be useful, but it's pricey.

Stanley L Moore, I'm not a huge fan of mandolin because I'd still get cuts even if I am extra careful. 

Cayleigh Chaos, I love kale chips! Every time I come across a new flavor kale chips, they blow my mind! big_smile I recently saw broccoli poppers on FB. I must try it!

Aug 08 14 02:14 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Delia Mak wrote:
Lovely Day Media, I would buy prepped (or frozen) vegetables if I don't want to chop veggies myself for hours. For example, my wrists got injured a few years ago, so I am unable to cut hard veggies such as Japanese pumpkins and coconuts. I have my corner store prep them for me. Some grocery stores have prepped veggies for some people as well.

Sorry to hear about your wrists. sad As for veggies, there are things I can buy that are frozen (true), but I've never seen anywhere that I can buy other veggies that are already prepped (ie onions, green peppers, celery).  When I was a child, my mother used to add mixed vegetables to the soup she made. I have since learned that corn and green beans make my blood sugar spike so I generally avoid them.  I haven't seen a mixed veggie bag that didn't have one or the other in it so I generally avoid that, too.

You did give me some good ideas, though. smile

Aug 08 14 02:58 am Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

Lovely Day Media, I am surprised at your remark on prepped veggies. My local Kroger store has a section right by the packaged salad section that has freshly chopped containers of onions, green peppers and celery. they have pre-sliced mushrooms as well as other prepared raw vegetables, pre skewered items for grilling.

There is even a small section of fresh herbs. You do have to chop them but I find herbs respond very well to cutting with scissors. I would expect any large supermarket would have something similar for prepared veggies.

Unless Vineland is a rural area I expect you can find a store with pre-cut vegetables. I admit sheepishly that very often I buy the onions, celery, and bell peppers there. Lazy I guess.

Aug 08 14 05:51 am Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:

Sorry to hear about your wrists. sad As for veggies, there are things I can buy that are frozen (true), but I've never seen anywhere that I can buy other veggies that are already prepped (ie onions, green peppers, celery).  When I was a child, my mother used to add mixed vegetables to the soup she made. I have since learned that corn and green beans make my blood sugar spike so I generally avoid them.  I haven't seen a mixed veggie bag that didn't have one or the other in it so I generally avoid that, too.

You did give me some good ideas, though. smile

It is slightly less convenient but you can buy separate bags of frozen veggies and mix them yourself.  I also  have to avoid high sugar veggies like carrots and corn. So I buy others frozen and keep them on hand. For instance I love artichokes.... but they are the devil to prepare. You can boil them whole and eat the leaves one by one but getting at the hearts is labor intensive so I buy the frozen artichoke hearts.

In the Houston area is a supermarket chain called Fiesta. They are strategically located in minority, mostly Hispanic, neighborhoods. They carry various hard to get  produce and herbs. One bonus is because they are in low income areas their prices are notably lower than stores in more upscale areas.

Aug 08 14 06:20 am Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

Delia Mak wrote:
A few days ago, I discovered the roasted whole cauliflower with some spices (no salt added) and miso paste. Really delicious. Right now, I am drooling while thinking about it. *sighing*

I have an Indian cookbook that has a recipe for whole cauliflower. While I have not had it, it certainly sounds delicious.

Aug 08 14 06:24 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Stanley L Moore wrote:
Lovely Day Media, I am surprised at your remark on prepped veggies. My local Kroger store has a section right by the packaged salad section that has freshly chopped containers of onions, green peppers and celery. they have pre-sliced mushrooms as well as other prepared raw vegetables, pre skewered items for grilling.

There is even a small section of fresh herbs. You do have to chop them but I find herbs respond very well to cutting with scissors. I would expect any large supermarket would have something similar for prepared veggies.

Unless Vineland is a rural area I expect you can find a store with pre-cut vegetables. I admit sheepishly that very often I buy the onions, celery, and bell peppers there. Lazy I guess.

Vineland is a weird place. Within the city you'll find urban, suburban, rural and farms. There are projects to end all projects and a lot of REALLY nice neighborhoods, too. There is no Krogers or Wegman's here. There is a Trader Joe's and Whole Foods but they are at least 40 miles away so I don't visit them often.  Pathmark and Acme are both closed now.  There used to be a store called Talk Of The Town where one could buy things like venison or bison but it closed a long long time ago.

I haven't been to all the small stores in the mostly Hispanic (for lack of a better name) areas but the major supermarkets (Shop Rite, etc) don't have these things.

Aug 08 14 06:51 am Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

Interesting.  One of my bodybuilder models lives in Vineland.  He has a very nice large house in a semi-rural area.

Too bad about your grocery situation. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are very expensive and there are none nearby. What you need is a large mega mart. Small stores in immigrant neighborhoods don't carry many vegetables.

Aug 08 14 07:15 am Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

Stanley L Moore wrote:
For instance I love artichokes.... but they are the devil to prepare. You can boil them whole and eat the leaves one by one but getting at the hearts is labor intensive so I buy the frozen artichoke hearts.

I always bought cans of artichokes (it were for my pizzas), but I think I'm going to try boiling a whole artichoke to see if the taste is same as the canned artichoke. I hope it tastes better than those canned ones. Tomorrow I'm going to see the frozen section to see if there are artichokes. I'm not a fan of cans. They leave me a metallic aftertaste. hmm

Stanley L Moore wrote:
I have an Indian cookbook that has a recipe for whole cauliflower. While I have not had it, it certainly sounds delicious.

What is the title / who is the author of this cookbook?

Lovely Day Media wrote:
Vineland is a weird place. Within the city you'll find urban, suburban, rural and farms. There are projects to end all projects and a lot of REALLY nice neighborhoods, too. There is no Krogers or Wegman's here. There is a Trader Joe's and Whole Foods but they are at least 40 miles away so I don't visit them often.  Pathmark and Acme are both closed now.  There used to be a store called Talk Of The Town where one could buy things like venison or bison but it closed a long long time ago.

I haven't been to all the small stores in the mostly Hispanic (for lack of a better name) areas but the major supermarkets (Shop Rite, etc) don't have these things.

sad I haven't shopped Shop Rite before. If it's a supermarket, it's strange that they don't have these things. But I am not surprised though. The other day I read an article that mentioned something like "Retailers rather have dusts on their shelf longer than perishable foods financially." Perishable foods go spoiled between 1 day and 1 week. Canned ones can sit for 1-2 years. Also, the other article mentioned something like retailers are selling 50% off ugly perishable foods (odd shapes or bad looking). smile

Aug 08 14 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

Delia Mak wrote:
What is the title / who is the author of this cookbook?

Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Yamuna Devi

Here is the link to all her books on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ … stripbooks

The hard cover is a massive 800 page cookbook. It is very comprehensive with detailed techniques, ingredients etc. I got my copy in 1989 and it has gotten a lot of use. There a few oddities. Yamuna Devi is closely associated with a  Hindu sect that worships Lord Krishna. All the recipes are prepared to be suitable for offerings to Krishna. As a result no recipe uses onions or garlic. Instead they use "hing' or asafetida which has a similar flavor. When I make things from this book I add in onions and garlic as appropriate.  I have learned that many Hindus avoid onions when preparing food for special religious feasts.

Another religious restriction is there are no recipes containing eggs but there is plenty of dairy. I am not a vegetarian but I love vegetables and have gotten many fine dishes from this book. I encourage you to get a copy if you like Indian food. BTW not everything  is hot and spicy in Indian cuisine.

Aug 09 14 03:36 am Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

Delia Mak wrote:

Bobby C wrote:
Veggies on the right person, can be quite delicious.

Hm, I should arrange a photo shoot like that soon! big_smile

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110905/22/4e65a9a0ed69e.jpg

Eat your veggies. smile

Aug 09 14 04:11 am Link

Model

Elisa 1

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

Delia Mak wrote:

Stanley L Moore wrote:
You can eat many vegetable purees in place of mashed potatoes. One of my faves is mashed rutabagas. Those are large yellow turnips. Mashed with salt pepper and butter they are delish.

Rutabagas are an interesting veggie, a cross breed between cabbage and turnips. Also known as "swede" or"neeps" in the UK and Scotland. Some areas consider them only useful for animal fodder in winter. But I like them. You can combine then with mashed potatoes for a yellow/white mixture marbled together for an interesting presentation. In Scotland they form an essential part o a Burns dinner with potatoes and haggis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutabaga

Rutabagas sound delicious. I think I saw them at Whole Foods Market and Farmers Market. I should grab one of them to try. I have tried mashed plantains, mashed yucca, mashed butternut squash, mashed beets, etc. All of them are good!

Wow, laver bread looks interesting. I thought the green one looked like spinach. I should try laver bread soon. I love fried food. Sweet potato chips are really good! big_smile

It's a Welsh delicacy. It tastes of the sea. It's seaweed.
Sometimes its cooked like a hot pate. I prefer it when it's flattened into round shapes covered in flour and shallow fried in hot fat so it's crispy. Mmmmm......

Aug 09 14 04:22 am Link

Model

Koryn

Stanley L Moore wrote:

The hard cover is a massive 800 page cookbook. It is very comprehensive with detailed techniques, ingredients etc. I got my copy in 1989 and it has gotten a lot of use. There a few oddities. Yamuna Devi is closely associated with a  Hindu sect that worships Lord Krishna. All the recipes are prepared to be suitable for offerings to Krishna. As a result no recipe uses onions or garlic. Instead they use "hing' or asafetida which has a similar flavor. When I make things from this book I add in onions and garlic as appropriate.  I have learned that many Hindus avoid onions when preparing food for special religious feasts.

Another religious restriction is there are no recipes containing eggs but there is plenty of dairy. I am not a vegetarian but I love vegetables and have gotten many fine dishes from this book. I encourage you to get a copy if you like Indian food. BTW not everything  is hot and spicy in Indian cuisine.

I have this cookbook.

Got it at a yardsale for $2.

Aug 09 14 07:11 am Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

Stanley L Moore wrote:

Koryn wrote:
I have this cookbook.

Got it at a yardsale for $2.

Nice find, Koryn. big_smile

Last year I took a yoga class where lunch was served afterwards. Those dishes didn't contain onion and garlic. My family always had onion, garlic, and ginger as a base for good meals. Trying those dishes without onion and garlic for my first time tasted interesting.

Stanley L Moore wrote:
Eat your veggies. smile

Haha, nice shot big_smile I'd settle down for a sexy chef. smile

Eliza C  new portfolio wrote:
It's a Welsh delicacy. It tastes of the sea. It's seaweed.
Sometimes its cooked like a hot pate. I prefer it when it's flattened into round shapes covered in flour and shallow fried in hot fat so it's crispy. Mmmmm......

Mmm, I'd love to try seaweed pate! big_smile

Aug 09 14 08:11 am Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

Beet burgers... mmmmmm... I make them from the recipehttps://farm8.staticflickr.com/7013/6801889691_d493e7a713_z.jpg

Aug 09 14 08:13 am Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

Baked Mango Sriracha Cauliflower Wings... mmm, I should try making them from the recipe
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-O8KIzyrUTWw/UusfMeIKLOI/AAAAAAAARM8/G080-ckbkh8/s1600/Mango+Sriracha+Cauliflower+wings+8678-001.JPG

Aug 09 14 08:18 am Link