Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > I love a good piece of vegetable

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

A few days ago, I discovered the roasted whole cauliflower with some spices (no salt added) and miso paste. Really delicious. Right now, I am drooling while thinking about it. *sighing*

Aug 06 14 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

If you are ever in Las Vegas stop by the Heart Attack Grill and get yourself one of these bad boys

https://earth66.com/img/the-octuple-bypass-burger-from-heart-attack-grill-in-las-vegas.jpg

Im all into fitness and stuff, like running, lifting and the works but all vegetable diet? LOL just LOL have fun living in atrophy. Went with my friend who is a personal trainer and we made fun of vegans the whole time.... and hippies LOL

Aug 06 14 02:35 pm Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

Roasted cauliflower is one of my favorites!

I usually just drizzle some olive oil on it, with some sea salt and cracked pepper.

Aug 06 14 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

What spices?

Aug 06 14 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

If you like Indian food I suggest you try gobi aloo . It is a dry vegetable curry of cauliflower and potatoes. Absolutely delicious.

Aug 06 14 03:12 pm Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

DivaEroticus wrote:
Roasted cauliflower is one of my favorites!

I usually just drizzle some olive oil on it, with some sea salt and cracked pepper.

Simplier and tasty smile

Aug 06 14 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Orestes  wrote:
If you are ever in Las Vegas stop by the Heart Attack Grill and get yourself one of these bad boys

https://earth66.com/img/the-octuple-bypass-burger-from-heart-attack-grill-in-las-vegas.jpg

Im all into fitness and stuff, like running, lifting and the works but all vegetable diet? LOL just LOL have fun living in atrophy. Went with my friend who is a personal trainer and we made fun of vegans the whole time.... and hippies LOL

As most know, I really LOVES my meat. A life without meat is a life not worth living IMHO. That said, the image you posted looks absolutely freaking disgusting! Sorry.

I'm really don't care for calif (but do kinda like steamed broc). I'll take the OP's calif before that crap you posted would ever pass my lips.

Jesus, even my garbage can would probably barf!

Great shoot concept though. Model trying to dump that crap in a garbage can which is (somehow) fleeing in terror. Need the special effects folks on this one.

Aug 06 14 03:29 pm Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

Toto Photo wrote:
What spices?

I didn't ask the chef about it, but I'm pretty sure it was some Italian seasonings, lemon, and black pepper. I will go again soon! smile

Aug 06 14 03:29 pm Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

Stanley L Moore wrote:
If you like Indian food I suggest you try gobi aloo . It is a dry vegetable curry of cauliflower and potatoes. Absolutely delicious.

I won't disagree with you on it! I love Indian food! big_smile

Aug 06 14 03:30 pm Link

Model

KelliOnLineGlamourNude

Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Mashed cauliflower is also great.

Aug 06 14 03:59 pm Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

KelliOnLineGlamourNude  wrote:

YUSS!  I will occasionally mash cauliflower as if it were potatoes.  It's delicious, and healthier.  OMNOMNOM!

Aug 06 14 04:35 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Orestes  wrote:

I was a vegan when this photo was taken. I was down to about 14% bodyfat, and in the best shape of my life.
18+
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/23357675

Muscle atrophy is caused by not eating enough CALORIES. All foods, even vegetables, have protein in them. Yes, I'm a personal trainer too, and I had a male vegan client who packed on seven pounds of muscle in just a few months months working with me. He just needed to eat MORE ... lots more. And lift. Heavy. He did all this, and got the results he wanted without needing to eat products from animals.

If you don't believe in vegan competitive bodybuilding, I'd strongly suggest you peruse this website:

http://www.plantbuilt.com/

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/ahrineha/cfafc9c89e84329bc638d5081c8ead9e_zps7fbd7003.jpg

Aug 06 14 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

cauliflower soup with turmeric and ginger

boiled then crusted in cheese sauce.

Aug 06 14 04:54 pm Link

Model

KelliOnLineGlamourNude

Barrie, Ontario, Canada

DivaEroticus wrote:

YUSS!  I will occasionally mash cauliflower as if it were potatoes.  It's delicious, and healthier.  OMNOMNOM!

I love potatoes, but they aren't the healthiest thing at all. When I heard you could substitute mashed potatoes with cauliflower I thought it was ridiculous til I tried it, it's so much better!

Aug 06 14 06:00 pm Link

Model

KelliOnLineGlamourNude

Barrie, Ontario, Canada

scrymettet wrote:

The first part sounds really healthy, the 2nd part sounds really tasty! smile

Aug 06 14 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

I love potatoes, but they aren't the healthiest thing at all. When I heard you could substitute mashed potatoes with cauliflower I thought it was ridiculous til I tried it, it's so much better!

I have done mix of the two, just saying

Aug 06 14 06:14 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Koryn wrote:

I was a vegan when this photo was taken. I was down to about 14% bodyfat, and in the best shape of my life.
18+

Muscle atrophy is caused by not eating enough CALORIES. All foods, even vegetables, have protein in them. Yes, I'm a personal trainer too, and I had a male vegan client who packed on seven pounds of muscle in just a few months months working with me. He just needed to eat MORE ... lots more. And lift. Heavy. He did all this, and got the results he wanted without needing to eat products from animals.

If you don't believe in vegan competitive bodybuilding, I'd strongly suggest you peruse this website:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/ahrineha/cfafc9c89e84329bc638d5081c8ead9e_zps7fbd7003.jpg

Yep. It is just REALLY fucking hard to do. Talk about discipline.

I love grilled and roasted veggies. They're seriously amazing. I cook with them constantly. But there is no way I can NOT have meat in my life. Chicken is always my go-to but once every two weeks I have a rare steak or medium burger and I'm good. I make butterfly stuffed pork chops once every couple of weeks as well. I make veggie centered dishes with meat additives a lot. I think chili and stuffed peppers (done correctly) are great examples of that.

I'm expanding my palate with veggies but when I have a fridge full of produce, I am a happy lady.

Aug 06 14 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Veggies on the right person, can be quite delicious.
https://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj303/prekayyx3/vegetables_12.jpg

Aug 06 14 07:11 pm Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

DivaEroticus wrote:

Yum! I can mix mashed potato if I want to pack more calories. big_smile Hell, I can mix mashed sweet potato for better nutrition. I sometimes add miso paste to that. big_smile I don't care if potato is unhealthy. If someone tells me white rice is unhealthy, I would say what so. I grew up eating white rice more than two times EVERYDAY! As an adult, I switched it to brown rice for better nutrition (fiber to poop tongue) and I eat potatoes everyday. I have no health problems. Recently, I had my blood test for shits & giggles and my doctor said I'm 100% healthy. Clearly, this myth is busted for some people like me. 

scrymettet wrote:

I love turmeric and ginger! They are good for you! I'm nuts about blending them in my green smoothies. Yum!

Bobby C wrote:
Veggies on the right person, can be quite delicious.

Hm, I should arrange a photo shoot like that soon! big_smile

Aug 06 14 09:22 pm Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

Orestes  wrote:

Koryn wrote:
18+

Model Sarah wrote:
Yep. It is just REALLY fucking hard to do. Talk about discipline.

I love grilled and roasted veggies. They're seriously amazing. I cook with them constantly. But there is no way I can NOT have meat in my life. Chicken is always my go-to but once every two weeks I have a rare steak or medium burger and I'm good. I make butterfly stuffed pork chops once every couple of weeks as well. I make veggie centered dishes with meat additives a lot. I think chili and stuffed peppers (done correctly) are great examples of that.

I'm expanding my palate with veggies but when I have a fridge full of produce, I am a happy lady.

Thank you, Koryn, for stepping in. I truly appreciate that. I'm in awe of vegan bodybuilders. Yes, Model Sarah, it takes a lot of discipline to do. I met Noel (https://www.modelmayhem.com/1017696) a few years ago. I'm very impressed by his entire body on a plant-based diet. He always advises that we need to eat more calories and do workouts if we ever want to be well-built on a plant based diet. For me, I don't have this kind of discipline. I just like to live a full life without pains (health problems such as cancer, diabetes, etc.).

I personally think it's not cool to make fun of people. Anyway, I would say I eat whole food all the time, but I will never be vegan. It's difficult to do a vegan lifestyle in my opinion. How would you avoid glue?! Glue is literally everywhere, right? 

Anyway, I enjoy learning new things about vegetables. For example, who thought that we can substitute potato for cauliflower? Wheat pasta for zucchini noodles?  It's amazing to see how creative chefs / home cooks are with vegetables. smile Therefore, I started this thread to see if anyone had tasty veggies to share with us! big_smile

Aug 06 14 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Orestes  wrote:
Went with my friend who is a personal trainer and we made fun of vegans the whole time.... and hippies LOL

You must be sooo proud to be a real meathead!    roll   facepalm

Aug 06 14 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

You can eat many vegetable purees in place of mashed potatoes. One of my faves is mashed rutabagas. Those are large yellow turnips. Mashed with salt pepper and butter they are delish.

Rutabagas are an interesting veggie, a cross breed between cabbage and turnips. Also known as "swede" or"neeps" in the UK and Scotland. Some areas consider them only useful for animal fodder in winter. But I like them. You can combine then with mashed potatoes for a yellow/white mixture marbled together for an interesting presentation. In Scotland they form an essential part o a Burns dinner with potatoes and haggis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutabaga

Aug 06 14 11:59 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Orestes  wrote:

You sound cool.

Aug 07 14 02:52 am Link

Model

Elisa 1

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

Sounds nice. Will attempt.

I'm rather partial to sweet potato chips (fried not crisps) atm.
And laver bread. smile

https://volcanocafe.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/british-foods-lava-bread.jpg?w=700

Aug 07 14 02:59 am Link

Model

JadeDRed

London, England, United Kingdom

Stanley L Moore wrote:

You can eat many vegetable purees in place of mashed potatoes. One of my faves is mashed rutabagas. Those are large yellow turnips. Mashed with salt pepper and butter they are delish.

Rutabagas are an interesting veggie, a cross breed between cabbage and turnips. Also known as "swede" or"neeps" in the UK and Scotland. Some areas consider them only useful for animal fodder in winter. But I like them. You can combine then with mashed potatoes for a yellow/white mixture marbled together for an interesting presentation. In Scotland they form an essential part o a Burns dinner with potatoes and haggis.

We have mashed swede all the time with Sunday roasts.

Aug 07 14 03:20 am Link

Model

KelliOnLineGlamourNude

Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Stanley L Moore wrote:

I'm going to the farmers market today, I'll try to find that. I'm pretty sure I've never tried that, and my grandfather had a garden larger then a football field.

Aug 07 14 05:08 am Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

Stanley L Moore wrote:

Rutabagas sound delicious. I think I saw them at Whole Foods Market and Farmers Market. I should grab one of them to try. I have tried mashed plantains, mashed yucca, mashed butternut squash, mashed beets, etc. All of them are good!

Eliza C  new portfolio wrote:
Sounds nice. Will attempt.

I'm rather partial to sweet potato chips (fried not crisps) atm.
And laver bread. smile

Wow, laver bread looks interesting. I thought the green one looked like spinach. I should try laver bread soon. I love fried food. Sweet potato chips are really good! big_smile

Aug 07 14 06:31 am Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

Stanley L Moore wrote:

My mother used to make mashed rutabagas a lot!  OMG, I've not thought about them in years!

:must purchase:

Aug 07 14 06:36 am Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I love fresh, home-grown green beans, tomatoes, beets and cucumbers! I love this time of year. smile

Aug 07 14 06:40 am Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

Dean Johnson Photo wrote:
I love fresh, home-grown green beans, tomatoes, beets and cucumbers! I love this time of year. smile

*sighing* I miss my mom's garden in California. We grew veggies and fruits in our backyard. Eating avocados and making avocado desserts (just mash avocado and condensed milk) from our avocado tree was my favorite childhood. I felt like I was being spoiled for having all those perishable food grown in our backyard! big_smile

My roommate is growing herbs on our windows in our small apartment. She's trying to grow tomatoes and peaches... it will be interesting. I wanted to buy a fig tree at Farmers Market, but I think it won't survive growing in NYC because of the climate. tongue

Aug 07 14 06:52 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Koryn wrote:
<snip>

I have heard that Herschel Walker is a vegetarian. I have not seen or heard he is vegan but it wouldn't shock me, either. Last time I saw him, he was 50 or so years old and looked like he could still play in the NFL.

I know another man who is borderline vegan. He said there are a few dairy products he'll consume sometimes but not very often. He also claims to have never had a piece of meat to eat in his life. He skips Morning Star products because they (according to him) are designed to look like meat and might have meat byproducts disguised as something else in them. He told me he has never seen a doctor in his life (outside of a dentist and an optometrist). He still has most of his teeth. His eyesight is going, but he's almost 90 years old, too.  He's not a very big guy but he does well, IMO.

I'm all for an all vegetable/fruit diet but it takes a lot more patience than I have most of the time. I have, though, become a peanut addict of sorts. I eat them constantly.

Aug 07 14 06:53 am Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
I have, though, become a peanut addict of sorts. I eat them constantly.

I love cashews because they can be formed into anything like milk, cheesecake, cheese, yogurt, cream, etc.! They are good on their own. smile

I go nuts for curry almonds. big_smile

Sometimes I am in a mood for desserts, I would make nuts into a crust for raw pies. Yum!

Aug 07 14 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Delia Mak wrote:
I love cashews because they can be formed into anything like milk, cheesecake, cheese, yogurt, cream, etc.! They are good on their own. smile

I go nuts for curry almonds. big_smile

Sometimes I am in a mood for desserts, I would make nuts into a crust for raw pies. Yum!

If cashews weren't so stinking expensive, I'd eat a lot more of them. Of course, my doctor has warned me against that saying they have the highest fat content of any nut out there, but it doesn't really matter what he says in the grand scheme of things. smile (This isn't 100% true, but he prescribed insulin I didn't need so for me, it's license to disregard some of what he says).

For the price of a small container of cashews, I get a 5 pound bag of peanuts. I don't mind cracking the shells.

Aug 07 14 07:39 am Link

Model

Kelli

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dean Johnson Photo wrote:

One of my fav salads to make is beets, tomatoes and feta.

Aug 07 14 09:07 am Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
If cashews weren't so stinking expensive, I'd eat a lot more of them. Of course, my doctor has warned me against that saying they have the highest fat content of any nut out there, but it doesn't really matter what he says in the grand scheme of things. smile (This isn't 100% true, but he prescribed insulin I didn't need so for me, it's license to disregard some of what he says).

For the price of a small container of cashews, I get a 5 pound bag of peanuts. I don't mind cracking the shells.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I worked for a company and we paid $1.50/lb 'raw' cashews for 1000lbs (one pallet size). My corner store charges $2 per 1oz 'raw' cashews.

Honestly, I don't give a shit about the fat content of 'raw' nuts. 'Raw' nuts have better benefits than the other food groups. I prefer avocados for their fats though. smile

Aug 07 14 09:21 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
I'm all for an all vegetable/fruit diet but it takes a lot more patience than I have most of the time. I have, though, become a peanut addict of sorts. I eat them constantly.

Trust me, an all vegetarian diet is much, much less of a hassle than people alwags think.

The media likes to complicate things and people repeat what they get from those sources.

You can have a high energy life, full of sports, fit and strong body with a rich palate of flavours with always interesting dishes that leave you full and satisfied on a vegetarian diet.

Once you understand how it works, it is very easy and you won't miss a thing after a while.

Aug 07 14 09:51 am Link

Model

Kelli

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

udor wrote:

Trust me, an all vegetarian diet is much, much less of a hassle than people alwags think.

The media likes to complicate things and people repeat what they get from those sources.

You can have a high energy life, full of sports, fit and strong body with a rich palate of flavours with always interesting dishes that leave you full and satisfied on a vegetarian diet.

Once you understand how it works, it is very easy and you won't miss a thing after a while.

I think that's how it is with any diet restrictions. It's quite an adjustment period at first, but once u get the hang of it, it isn't hard at all.

Aug 07 14 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

udor wrote:

The only thing I'd be missing is time. I'm one who prefers eating to live (as opposed to living to eat). Faster is better for me (I know it's not always healthier, but I wasn't referring to that). So, when I'm hungry, I can open the freezer, pull out a hamburger and have it cooked and ready to eat in 10-15 minutes.

If I wanted to make vegetable soup, I'd have to spend at least an hour cutting the vegetables up, boiling the water, adding the seasoning, etc etc.  4-5 hours later, it *might* be done.

For me, it has nothing to do with the media and everything to do with my personal experience.

Aug 07 14 10:34 am Link

Model

Kelli

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Lovely Day Media wrote:

The only thing I'd be missing is time. I'm one who prefers eating to live (as opposed to living to eat). Faster is better for me (I know it's not always healthier, but I wasn't referring to that). So, when I'm hungry, I can open the freezer, pull out a hamburger and have it cooked and ready to eat in 10-15 minutes.

If I wanted to make vegetable soup, I'd have to spend at least an hour cutting the vegetables up, boiling the water, adding the seasoning, etc etc.  4-5 hours later, it *might* be done.

For me, it has nothing to do with the media and everything to do with my personal experience.

4-5 hours to make a soup? I have homemade soup everyday ( I hate soup btw, it's solely for health reasons ), it's super quick.

Aug 07 14 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Kelli wrote:
4-5 hours to make a soup? I have homemade soup everyday ( I hate soup btw, it's solely for health reasons ), it's super quick.

I don't know what you do or how you do it, but if I made soup and it only took an hour or so, it would definitely be gross as it would take me that long just to cut the vegetables. On the other hand, maybe you're making a much smaller quantity? I generally make 2-3 gallons at a time.

I happen to *LOVE* soup. I like any kind of soup as long as it's not a chowder (I can live with Manhattan Clam Chowder but I'd rather not have that, either).  If it weren't for the sodium content, I'd eat soup from a can a lot more than I do just because I enjoy it and it would be a fast cook (heat it up some).

Aug 07 14 01:59 pm Link