Forums > Model Colloquy > Tattoo Advice from Models

Photographer

photomercenary

Yonkers, New York, US

Over the past decade I've seen many beautiful and intricate tattoos on many models here. If any of you (or anyone else) are reading this, I need some advice. I'm looking for a tattoo artist who would be suited for doing intricate and realistic lacework on a woman's torso and realistic stocking seams on the back of her thighs.

I can't remember the profile #s of the models I've seen who have similar work on their bodies, so I've been unable to ask them directly. Any tattoo artist suggestions or referrals to MM#s who could help me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jonathan Mastrojohn

Aug 12 14 06:27 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

photomercenary wrote:
Over the past decade I've seen many beautiful and intricate tattoos on many models here. If any of you (or anyone else) are reading this, I need some advice. I'm looking for a tattoo artist who would be suited for doing intricate and realistic lacework on a woman's torso and realistic stocking seams on the back of her thighs.

I can't remember the profile #s of the models I've seen who have similar work on their bodies, so I've been unable to ask them directly. Any tattoo artist suggestions or referrals to MM#s who could help me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jonathan Mastrojohn

You're asking for advice on artists to put a permanent tattoo on a model for you?

Are you for real?

Maybe you should just look for a very good body painter.

Aug 12 14 06:40 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
You're asking for advice on artists to put a permanent tattoo on a model for you?

Are you for real?

Maybe you should just look for a very good body painter.

Ummmm yeah, what?  Also, given the model is willing, you need to look specifically in your area for an artist.  It's not gonna help much if someone can suggest someone and they're on the other side of the country.  Research shops and artists locally, look through their books and see if they have the style you're looking for.  That is unless you're willing to travel for such a tattoo but it really doesn't seem like you're describing something that an average shop couldn't do for you.

Also you could try to get a Henna artist or body painted like suggested above to do something instead if you want something more temporary.

Aug 12 14 06:44 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Perhaps let your model make this choice for herself/himself.

Aug 12 14 10:00 am Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

Err...jump to conclusions much?

Perhaps the OP is simply looking for someone to do the intricate artwork, and not an actual tattoo.  Or, perhaps the model asked the OP to look for a tattoo artist to do an actual tattoo.

Aug 12 14 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

J Haggerty

Augusta, Georgia, US

OP, some clarification is needed.

Are you looking to get a tattoo?
Are you looking for someone to paint this one a model?
What location are you looking in?

Aug 12 14 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

photomercenary

Yonkers, New York, US

Just to clarify, I'm looking in the NY metro area. So any recommendations in NYC, Queens, Long Island, Brooklyn, even NJ or CT.

Yes this is for a permanent tattoo, not bodypaint or henna. My post was intended for feedback from tattooed models who have recommendations based on their own first hand experience. I've seen some great work over the years. I've also seen some lousy work, so I value your advice and feedback regarding shops and artists you've had positive experiences with.

Aug 12 14 06:54 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't know why we're jumping to assume the OP is trying to get a model tattooed against her will. He COULD actually have female friends, relatives, coworkers, partners, etc. who are interested in this tattoo and he just happened to remember seeing one like it on MM. I mean I know that sounds fucking crazy...see a model on mm you have questions for, try to ask the community to help you locate that model....absolutely nuts.

Aug 13 14 09:18 am Link

Photographer

J Haggerty

Augusta, Georgia, US

photomercenary wrote:
Just to clarify, I'm looking in the NY metro area. So any recommendations in NYC, Queens, Long Island, Brooklyn, even NJ or CT.

Yes this is for a permanent tattoo, not bodypaint or henna. My post was intended for feedback from tattooed models who have recommendations based on their own first hand experience. I've seen some great work over the years. I've also seen some lousy work, so I value your advice and feedback regarding shops and artists you've had positive experiences with.

A few artists I recommend would be Paul Booth at Lost Rites Tattoo and Jessica Mascitti and Brooklyn Graceland Hair and Tattoo. Both have solid work with tattooing and Paul Booth is an outstanding painter.

Aug 13 14 07:54 pm Link

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

Corey Haynes at True Blue here in Austin makes me a very, very happy lady.
Also - Dallas at Twisted Ink in Rosenberg, TX did all the work on me leg and I am very happy with how those all came out.

Aug 13 14 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Jennifer Haggerty wrote:

A few artists I recommend would be Paul Booth at Lost Rites Tattoo and Jessica Mascitti and Brooklyn Graceland Hair and Tattoo. Both have solid work with tattooing and Paul Booth is an outstanding painter.

Shouldn't this thread be locked because it's a casting call?  I mean no offense or anything, but it seems that they are looking for a tattoo artist, which this is the wrong website unless MM has added tattoo artist overnight and I haven't seen it yet, or they are looking for a body painter.

Sep 30 14 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Assuming you are talking about artwork that is NOT permanent......any good artist should be able to do that, with make up tools, whether tattoo artists, or freehand artists.

Sep 30 14 02:48 pm Link

Model

JessieLeigh

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Isaiah Brink wrote:

Shouldn't this thread be locked because it's a casting call?  I mean no offense or anything, but it seems that they are looking for a tattoo artist, which this is the wrong website unless MM has added tattoo artist overnight and I haven't seen it yet, or they are looking for a body painter.

They are asking models that have tattoos to recommend tattoo artists that may or may not be MM members. It's a thread looking for recommendations, not a casting call for a job.

Sep 30 14 03:01 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Isaiah Brink wrote:

Hi,
Not locked but maybe moved to offtopic.

Kind of like asking for a recommendation on anything else that is not related to modeling or photography.

Btw, I do not know of any tattoo artists in your area but highly recommend to get recommendations, check the work and you are on the right direction by asking.
JenB

Sep 30 14 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

JessieLeigh wrote:

They are asking models that have tattoos to recommend tattoo artists that may or may not be MM members. It's a thread looking for recommendations, not a casting call for a job.

So, you're saying it's a casting call, like I said.  I thought that one of the rules for posting the the industry forums was to start a topic relating to that topic, modeling in model, and photography in photography.  They are obviously looking for talent that is not a mua, hairstylist, photographer, model, photoshop wizzard, or something that is normally covered as an industry related industry.  I still think it should be locked, or moved to the casting call section, but since MM dosn't have a way to select for tattoo artist, maybe it should be moved to a more appropriate site like facebook, myspace, or even the local newspaper.  Or, you could do what most people do when looking for new inkwork, and talk to people privately who have tattoos.  A good place to start is tattoo shops.  Just trying to help here and also keep things on topic.

Sep 30 14 07:35 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Isaiah Brink wrote:

So, you're saying it's a casting call, like I said.  I thought that one of the rules for posting the the industry forums was to start a topic relating to that topic, modeling in model, and photography in photography.  They are obviously looking for talent that is not a mua, hairstylist, photographer, model, photoshop wizzard, or something that is normally covered as an industry related industry.  I still think it should be locked, or moved to the casting call section, but since MM dosn't have a way to select for tattoo artist, maybe it should be moved to a more appropriate site like facebook, myspace, or even the local newspaper.  Or, you could do what most people do when looking for new inkwork, and talk to people privately who have tattoos.  A good place to start is tattoo shops.  Just trying to help here and also keep things on topic.

Don't think you've said one thing to be on topic lol

Anyway to the OP perhaps do a browse search of models in your area and contact them personally?

Sep 30 14 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

J Haggerty

Augusta, Georgia, US

Isaiah Brink wrote:

They asked for a recommendation of artists to review not asking for artists to apply. This is an admin question, but I believe that would be like posting "Can you recommend gothic models?" which is a referral request instead of "Looking for gothic models for a shoot" which is a casting call.

Oct 02 14 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Jennifer Haggerty wrote:

They asked for a recommendation of artists to review not asking for artists to apply. This is an admin question, but I believe that would be like posting "Can you recommend gothic models?" which is a referral request instead of "Looking for gothic models for a shoot" which is a casting call.

And that's splitting hairs.

Oct 02 14 09:26 am Link

Model

JessieLeigh

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Isaiah Brink wrote:
So, you're saying it's a casting call, like I said.

No, as I said, rather clearly: 

JessieLeigh wrote:
It's a thread looking for recommendations, not a casting call for a job

Isaiah Brink wrote:
I still think it should be locked, or moved to the casting call section, but since MM dosn't have a way to select for tattoo artist, maybe it should be moved to a more appropriate site like facebook, myspace, or even the local newspaper.  Or, you could do what most people do when looking for new inkwork, and talk to people privately who have tattoos.  A good place to start is tattoo shops.  Just trying to help here and also keep things on topic.

CAM it if you think it needs moderator attention? By continuing to push the issue, you are the one that is keeping this off-topic. Ironic, considering your last sentence.

Oct 02 14 12:41 pm Link