Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > A bit heavy handed?

Photographer

mphunt

Hudson, Florida, US

http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2014/10/ … ?hpt=hp_t5     Miss World contestants.

Thoughts/comments?

Oct 19 14 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Truly disgusting post work!! Some of the most beautiful women in the world and they smudge up their faces like that. Whoever did it must be loosing their eyesight to think that's a good job done, or an idiot.

Oct 19 14 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Carmichael, California, US

LOL... talk about overkill.  That's just ridiculous.

Oct 19 14 06:22 pm Link

Retoucher

Kami Fore

Los Angeles, California, US

This is exactly why it's recommend to either not use 'skin editing' plug ins or to rely on them exclusively. But then..this style was going around in photos in the 90s and early 2000's in some studio portraits for photographers. I remember. When I was growing up (gen y), you'd go with your friends or family to get a 'professional' shoot done and it'd have like...digital baby blue puffy hearts or super textured curtains in the background and the skin would look very very airbrushed. Some photographers or smaller studios would do that I guess? I guess I'm just thinking that this style may have been inspired from what was popular with some people back then. They had this weird angelic type glow to them.

So I'm guessing that the Filipino photographer that shot these either has a post production technique that they haven't updated or they thought that getting perfect skin meant..literally no skin at all. Hence the plug in technique.

Oct 19 14 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

It's like they decided the fastest, cheapest way to fix their skin was clarity -100

Oct 19 14 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Ghastly.

Oct 19 14 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

RTE Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

I think these were done by moving the Clarity slider all the way to the left in the RAW converter. Done carefully and with other techniques applied to the shot, it can create a interesting effect. In this case, though, it look like the photographer just did this and nothing else.
The people running the pageant, should have rejected the edits and told him to redo the edits to present a more realistic portrail of the girls. They are useless for any kind of judging.

Oct 19 14 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

waynes world pics

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Jay Farrell wrote:
Ghastly.

this is a perfect example of what gives "retouching" a bad rap.So many people turn their noses up at overly done editing,and these images clearly show why.Just horrible!

Oct 19 14 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

descending chain

San Diego, California, US

The person doing the hiring saw "pageant retoucher" and didn't realize that they meant "toddler pageant retoucher".

Oct 19 14 07:57 pm Link

Retoucher

Steven Burnette Retouch

Mount Vernon, New York, US

Unfortunately, this is what much of the general public envision when they think of a "Retoucher" or should I say "Photo shoper".

Oct 19 14 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

waynes world pics wrote:

this is a perfect example of what gives "retouching" a bad rap.So many people turn their noses up at overly done editing,and these images clearly show why.Just horrible!

What about the "plastic skin" problem? I see that ALL THE TIME on here.  I will, for the life of me, never understand why retouchers eliminate so much detail from the skin.

Oct 19 14 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

never look at the link....have gotten three Trojans and 4 virus alerts from my virus software while on MM....so..if the OP wants to point out something in this thread that represents what is being stated, please do so and not in a link..

Oct 19 14 08:56 pm Link

Retoucher

Steven Burnette Retouch

mophotoart wrote:
never look at the link....have gotten three Trojans and 4 virus alerts from my virus software while on MM...

I am Sooo happy to be a Mac user.

Oct 19 14 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

Thinking Inside The Box

Diamond Bar, California, US

Of the first batch of 7, only 6 were horribly overdone. The other one was much worse.

In the first image, look at her teeth; it looks like she's got foam instead of them.

Maybe it's cultural? I had difficulty imagining that they can't see that they've entered into illustration territory.

Oct 19 14 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Alison

Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom

Steven Burnette Retouch wrote:

Google Shellshock

Oct 20 14 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

These were the looks at one time. They just got outdated and you are all laughing at them. Your current high end retouching techniques will get outdated as well in time, then don't forget to laugh at yourselves for the plastic orange peel skin.

Oct 20 14 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

This is an abomination to the profession of photography... It's a joke right?

Oct 20 14 12:27 pm Link

Retoucher

Steven Burnette Retouch

Hugh Alison wrote:
Google Shellshock

Compare Shellshock (which basically affected a few Mac users who opened up the system using Advanced Unix settings and has already been fixed) to the plethora of viruses and whatnot that many Windows PC users deal with, just in general every single day.

You can't even let granny play her daily bingo and crosswords online without viruses jacking up the system, poor granny wink

Oct 20 14 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

waynes world pics

mophotoart wrote:
never look at the link....have gotten three Trojans and 4 virus alerts from my virus software while on MM....so..if the OP wants to point out something in this thread that represents what is being stated, please do so and not in a link..

I got a nasty "ransome ware" virus from a link on mm forums. I had to wipeout my computer....lost almost everything! Good point....links are dangerous to click on!

Oct 20 14 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Steven Burnette Retouch wrote:

Or a Linux user, for that matter!

Oct 20 14 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Moderator Warning!
Stop with the platform wars, please.

Oct 20 14 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

waynes world pics

mphunt wrote:
http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2014/10/ … ?hpt=hp_t5     Miss World contestants.

Thoughts/comments?

just a while ago I was drawn to view a photographers port here on mm.The avatar displayed intense lighting,and a gorgeous model.Ok,so I click to see all,and I was mind boggled by how a photographer with substantial skills with lighting,composition and model selections could,on the one hand show to be extremely talented as a photographer...then have "every image" with ridiculous gausian blur on all the skin and faces. Much worse than what the op pointed to in this original thread.Worst retouching I have ever seen,period! Photographer's talents with everything else are completely outstanding...how could anyone kill such "would have been" amazing work.I would hope said photographer finds this thread and recognizes the obvious,where "retouching" takes on a whole new meaning...something more like "retrashing".Completely bizzare!

Oct 21 14 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

aspergianLens wrote:
What about the "plastic skin" problem? I see that ALL THE TIME on here.  I will, for the life of me, never understand why retouchers eliminate so much detail from the skin.

I've checked out 1000's of MM ports over the last 9+ years... and I can honestly say that I've NEVER seen any photographer (or models) port here with that horrific of a facial editing job... wink

Oct 21 14 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

waynes world pics

Select Models wrote:

I've checked out 1000's of MM ports over the last 9+ years... and I can honestly say that I've NEVER seen any photographer (or models) port here with that horrific of a facial editing job... wink

I didn't either,till yesterday...honestly,this one I mentioned was indeed "worse" the worst I have ever seen.

Oct 22 14 02:52 am Link

Retoucher

Isabel Christina Paoli

Vienna, Wien, Austria

I thought this had to be a joke... Awful.

Oct 22 14 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

TheCraigBennett

Valencia, California, US

Kami Fore  wrote:
This is exactly why it's recommend to either not use 'skin editing' plug ins or to rely on them exclusively. But then..this style was going around in photos in the 90s and early 2000's in some studio portraits for photographers. I remember. When I was growing up (gen y), you'd go with your friends or family to get a 'professional' shoot done and it'd have like...digital baby blue puffy hearts or super textured curtains in the background and the skin would look very very airbrushed. Some photographers or smaller studios would do that I guess? I guess I'm just thinking that this style may have been inspired from what was popular with some people back then. They had this weird angelic type glow to them.

So I'm guessing that the Filipino photographer that shot these either has a post production technique that they haven't updated or they thought that getting perfect skin meant..literally no skin at all. Hence the plug in technique.

Glamor Shots at your local mall?  Google that for a whole mess of this style

Nov 25 14 04:24 pm Link

Retoucher

ulianaeme

Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

That's terrible!!!

Who is his mind would do such a thing?
What my though is that there was some kind of bulk processing error.

But who knows...
Oh, well...

Nov 25 14 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

I find photos like this encouraging. If photographers can get work with organizations like this but produce such terrible results then surely there must be plenty of opportunities for me in the industry.

Nov 25 14 06:40 pm Link

Model

Beya

Dallas, Texas, US

My god that is just bad!

Nov 25 14 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

mphunt wrote:

Thoughts/comments?

I am not a real good photo editor. But I do know that I can do better photo editing that that by a long shot. LOL

Nov 25 14 11:27 pm Link

Retoucher

Daniel Meadows

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Wow. I was discussing this on twitter the other day as I'm writing an interview piece on the subject. When this rubbish gets past ADs it fuels 'anti-Photoshop' groups who believe that not only is advertising beauty damaging but that this is what retouching is.

There'll always be people with poor skills and poor judgement in any industry, allowing them anywhere near high profile projects is the problem.

Nov 27 14 06:40 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

This is a famous photographer here in the Philippines.  Here, photographers deliver photos edited from their studio.  This is pretty common style.  Before you knock it too much, it was the style from the USA 15 years ago.  My photo team delivers edited images. I hope the Philippines will catch up with American styles and European styles in taste.   

One of the reasons I am happy to find MM is to see how current photographers shoot and edit.  I am new here and have enjoyed seeing the differences in American vs Filipino shooting styles.

Nov 27 14 07:20 am Link

Retoucher

Abdel Kebdani

Rabat, Rabat-Salé-Zammour-Zaer, Morocco

Horrible !

Dec 04 14 03:29 am Link