Forums > Critique > what would be my reasonable rate?

Model

Cassie Weinick

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Based on my portfolio, what would be my reasonable rate? Or if, any rate at all?

Thanks!

Nov 03 14 07:02 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Models are going to have to get the message. We can't tell you what to charge. You have to do that for yourself. If you are too high, you won't work, and if you are too low, your busy schedule will show you that, and then you can adjust accordingly.

You are a beginner, with potential. Nothing more. Start with that, as your guide.  As your skills develop, and your value increases, then you can increase your rates accordingly.

Nov 03 14 07:19 am Link

Photographer

erics_Toronto_GTA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

There are always rich people who call themselves photographers willing to pay.  Punish them.

Nov 03 14 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141013/09/543bfc14dcd03_m.jpg
You are a great looking model, but your modeling has not reached the next level.
Hand to head poses, hips square to camera, and eyes looking yonder do not come across that strong.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140819/10/53f3895532575_m.jpg
For me this is still your strongest image, wonderful to see your eyes

When you have a portfolio of out standing images because of the models posing, the photographers work with great makeup and hair styling you will then be a force to be reckoned with.
The problem is if your work is inconsistent, it makes it hard to hire you because the out come is unknown

Nov 03 14 08:12 am Link

Model

Cassie Weinick

Eric SUN wrote:
There are always rich people who call themselves photographers willing to pay.  Punish them.

Hahaha I will PUNISH THEM!!

Nov 03 14 08:18 am Link

Photographer

erics_Toronto_GTA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

CassieTaylor wrote:

Hahaha I will PUNISH THEM!!

Depending on where you live.

Nov 03 14 09:06 am Link

Model

Blaire_

Portland, Oregon, US

Your portfolio doesn't reflect the ability to charge quite yet.  I see you don't do nudes, which makes it harder.  In order to make good money in fashion.  It seems that you are just a bit stiff and uncomfortable in front of the camera.  You will need to be able to appear confident and relaxed. 

You should consider visiting an agency to get signed.  If you aren't able to get signed, and you aren't wanting to do nudes, I think you're going to have a REALLY hard time at it (take it from somebody who freelanced without doing nudes for eight years, AND I was signed for some of those years).

If you really want to do this, network like crazy.  Eat, sleep, and breath networking.  Build a solid network of photographers, designers, other models, boutique owners.  Then shoot at least once a week for trade.  Two times if you can manage.  Your portfolio will be more polished in the matter of months.

As of now, I could see charging $45 per hour to photographers who want to shoot you who's work you don't love.  Otherwise.  Trade until you can get on the critique forums and get 80% good feedback.

Good luck!!

Nov 03 14 01:04 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

You're not ready to charge yet. If some offers you payment, by all means accept it, but right now you need to cull your portfolio and get better images. As Charlotte is my home-base I can suggest several people in the area to work with.

In the last year Charlotte has been inundated with full time traveling models- models of my caliber and higher- and we all shoot nudes. Before charging you have to ask yourself, 'what do I have to offer that these models don't? Why would someone hire me over someone more experienced models that offer to shoot more genres?'

You do have the stats for commercial work, which is most of what this market is, though I'm not sure you have the right commercial "look". Connect with some commercial lifestyle photographers here; there are a few, but you will more than likely have to pay them, to build a commercial portfolio if you're looking to get on with an agency.

And you're welcome to message me if you have any questions. bunny

Nov 03 14 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

F O R B E S

New York, New York, US

I honestly wouldn't pay you based on your portfolio. It needs to be done over completely. However, based on your look, your height, and the fact that you would add something beneficial to my portfolio, i'd say your hourly rate should be $80/hour

Nov 03 14 06:16 pm Link