Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > understanding retouching

Retoucher

Light retoucher

London, England, United Kingdom

I am just starting to understand retouching and I would love your advice on this retouch https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/37290490

Thank you!

Nov 06 14 11:30 am Link

Retoucher

BoazR

Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel

I like what you did with the eyes and hair.
I don't know if it was intended or not, but the skin looks too much like airbrush, and therefore less realistic. If it was intended, then you did your job well, but if you were aiming for a more realistic look you might want to change the technique

Nov 07 14 02:30 am Link

Retoucher

Sergretouch

New York, New York, US

For now it's look some over retouched. Transition from lights to shadows is not accurate, bad form chin, nose and forehead. Lock of hair too bright. And I almost dont see skin texture, she too soft.
When you finish retouch photo - just do contrast black and white and you can see all defects of checkered light and shade.

https://s34-temporary-files.radikal.ru/1ae10ebe24644b3d8cffd32866430c4e/-88693455.jpg

Nov 09 14 02:26 am Link

Retoucher

Light retoucher

Yes, I see your point, thank you for your advice

Nov 09 14 11:58 am Link

Retoucher

Dark Rose Love

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

The one of the single eye looks good. Do you notice the difference there, that you can see the skin has texture, beautiful texture. The plastic, over-processed skin is not in style any more. Perhaps becasue we have so many more better tools available than early digital retouchers had. Of course there may be clients who ask for that, they like it, but if you're going to show people this is what you will do you will limit yourself.

Nov 12 14 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

BRIAN D WILLIAMS

Los Angeles, California, US

All the texture is gone! I would stay away from plug-in's and Split Frequency Layers.

Nov 23 14 05:33 pm Link

Retoucher

Light retoucher

Brian D Williams wrote:
All the texture is gone! I would stay away from plug-in's and Split Frequency Layers.

Most tutorials for skin retouching refer to frequency separation. Please tell me of you technique for skin retouching I love to hear about alternatives as I have my own troubles with the frequency separation technique. Thank you!

Nov 26 14 03:08 pm Link

Retoucher

D A N

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Just clone, heal, d&b, and color correct. Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev3Ei4YGD-A it'd give a pretty good alternative of retouching without splits.

Nov 27 14 10:39 am Link

Retoucher

BoazR

Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel

quick explanation about frequency separation:
you basically split texture and colour into two different layers, which gives you the ability to clone/heal/etc without much concern regarding colour changes (for example, around the edges).
IMPORTANT: this does not replace d&b work.

how to do it:
1. change to 16bit mode (Image < Mode).
2. duplicate the layer. call one low and the other high. colour will be saved to the "low" and texture on "high". of course you may call it whatever you like, I just use it for convenience.
3. use Gaussian blur filter of 10-15 px on the "low" layer.
4. pick the "high" layer, and go to Image > Apply Image. Set the settings as the following:
Layer: "low"
Channel: RGB with Invert ticked on
Blending: add
scale: 2
offset: 0
leave anything else on default.
5. set the layer blending mode on the "high" layer on Linear Light
6. now "low" has most of the colour info, and "high" have most the texture info. in certain cases (big moles, hairline, etc) you may need to not only fix texture, but also colour. and vice versa - in some cases changing colour isn't enough and you'll also need to fix the texture.

good luck

Dec 01 14 06:03 am Link

Retoucher

Orenj Haro

The shading on her nose is too wide, making it appear actually wider than it originally is. Also by removing some of the shine on her nose you are making it 'flatter' and there for thicker looking. smile

Dec 13 14 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

Nice model...nice retouch. 

I agree with most others that the face is overly smoothed.  You will need some form of separation technique to separate out the skin pores from the overall skin.  I use a high pass of the image on a snapshot layer with a black mask on it.  This allows me to add back in the pores selectively so I dont get these kinds of visual softness issues.

There is a study that was done at Columbia and it found an interesting point:  The areas around the flare of the nostril of the nose should be left un smoothed and un softened.  They found that having the smoothing at the very edge and in the crevasses of the flares of the nostrils... was a dead giveaway that the image has been worked on in an overly strong way.  Likewise, people also want to see some strong pores visible on the cheeks especially... and maybe even a bit on the forehead somewhat possibly where they are usually the most visible and prominent in most models.

One other thing stands out to me.  On her left eye you darkened around the pupil...this is a very attractive technique...but the two eyes are not balanced in intensity...the left eye looks stronger, and darker, and more prominent because of your circle darkening on that eye.  I would also work equally as strong on the right eye so they both look about equal in intensity.

Nice 1st pass.  I always find new things to work on if I dont look at the image for 2-3 days...and then come back to it...and work on it again.  What is even better is what you are doing...asking other people to spot things for you...so you grow and get better.  Thats a great way to improve your craftsmanship and visual artistry.

Cheers

Jan 24 15 10:58 am Link

Retoucher

Abdel Kebdani

Rabat, Rabat-Salé-Zammour-Zaer, Morocco

No texture, very smooth.
I would stick to healing and cloning, then dnb, and color corrections. As it is motioned before.
Worth lots of practicing,
Good luck smile

Feb 12 15 03:14 am Link