Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > red wing boots

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

jesus, h, they are the best things you can put on your feet. i don't do heavy construction for work, but i do work outdoors a lot, and have always worn boots. i even wear them when stepping out, unless dress shoes are required.

i had avoided getting a pair for years, but finally took the plunge. good god, it's as if st. hubbins himself had cobbled these things for me.

i got the 6" 875 model, and they have already molded to my feet in less than 10 hours of pain free break in.

nothing like quality footwear to make your day go by better. smile

Nov 13 14 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Oh....there ISN'T a boot with a real Red Wings emblem? I'm bummed....
There should be, though.

https://3.cdn.nhle.com/redwings/v2/ext/HistoryPageHeaders/writtenHistorySubv2.jpg

Nov 13 14 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Cherrystone wrote:
Oh....there ISN'T a boot with a real Red Wings emblem? I'm bummed....
There should be, though.

https://3.cdn.nhle.com/redwings/v2/ext/HistoryPageHeaders/writtenHistorySubv2.jpg

lol all roads. tongue

Nov 13 14 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

GK photo wrote:
.....nothing like quality footwear to make your day go by better. smile

well i know what boots im buying next for work.
my cheapo work shoes just started to fall apart too.

Nov 13 14 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Blundstones for me.

Most comfortable footwear I've ever worn.  I bought them for work a few years ago (12-14 hours on my feet) and they've become my everyday footwear.  I even use them as my winter boots.

https://www.blundstone.com/images/products/500.jpg

Nov 13 14 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Flat feet....can't wear them. I still remember the shopseller was a dick hole when I told him they weren't right for me because of the arch.

Nov 13 14 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Fair

Palm Coast, Florida, US

I worked on commercial offset press's for 32 years. Learned about Red Wings fast.

When your standing on concrete and steel all day the right shoes mean a lot, plus they last for years.

I bought a pair back in 99 just for riding my bike. Their still in great shape today. I've had them re soled a couple times thou, but the leather is holding up too good.

Nov 13 14 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Jay Farrell wrote:
Flat feet....can't wear them. I still remember the shopseller was a dick hole when I told him they weren't right for me because of the arch.

get a pair of superfeet, or some other form of insert. i use superfeet on just about every pair of shoes i buy. but, i don't need them in these boots. they have just enough arch support for me. plus, the footbed is just incredible on these 875s.

Kevin Fair wrote:
I worked on commercial offset press's for 32 years. Learned about Red Wings fast.

When your standing on concrete and steel all day the right shoes mean a lot, plus they last for years.

I bought a pair back in 99 just for riding my bike. Their still in great shape today. I've had them re soled a couple times thou, but the leather is holding up too good.

do your boots have the wedge/crepe soles? every boot (for work) i buy has them. i can't wear logging type boots, unless it's for hiking.

Nov 13 14 07:09 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Get their moldable inserts too.  You heat the things in an oven to maybe 160 degrees, and then you have 30 seconds to get them into your shoe and put your foot on them to mold it.  You can do it 10 times I think it was.  Like custom made orthopedics for $30 (?).

Nov 13 14 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

GRMACK wrote:
Get their moldable inserts too.  You heat the things in an oven to maybe 160 degrees, and then you have 30 seconds to get them into your shoe and put your foot on them to mold it.  You can do it 10 times I think it was.  Like custom made orthopedics for $30 (?).

those are their branding of the "sole" brand inserts. i like the superfeet for support, but those ones that heat mold are nice, too. i still have the original superfeet green inserts i got in like 1992, that i use in my hiking boots. you can't kill these things.

https://img11.shop-pro.jp/PA01058/757/product/40078163_o1.jpg?20131005103826

these are the ones i got. beautiful pair of boots. they ain't cheap, but afaiac, they will pay for themselves by the time i'm done with them.

their lower priced models are mic now, but they still have quite a few models that are made in mn.

Nov 13 14 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Fair

Palm Coast, Florida, US

GK photo wrote:
do your boots have the wedge/crepe soles? every boot (for work) i buy has them. i can't wear logging type boots, unless it's for hiking.

I always bought the kind with oil resistant soles. These were the last pair I bought, back when I was working. Their actually shoes instead of boots. Their grass cutting shoes now.

https://www.kevinfair.com/photos/i-kgLjK33/0/L/i-kgLjK33-L.jpg

These are the ones from 99. The shoes are the same style as these.

https://www.kevinfair.com/photos/i-SVwxRjs/0/L/i-SVwxRjs-L.jpg

Nov 13 14 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

borat haven't had redwings in a while (for some reason, they didn't have them at the store here) but I got a pair of sketchers steel toed boots for when i'm out on construction sites. Dear god I love them - the only shoes that don't hurt my feet!

So.. borat Those are some good looking boots. hopefully  your feet will continue to love them until it's time for a new pair wink I go through mine like crazy

Nov 13 14 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

SPierce Photography wrote:
borat haven't had redwings in a while (for some reason, they didn't have them at the store here) but I got a pair of sketchers steel toed boots for when i'm out on construction sites. Dear god I love them - the only shoes that don't hurt my feet!

So.. borat Those are some good looking boots. hopefully  your feet will continue to love them until it's time for a new pair wink I go through mine like crazy

steel toes? what the hell you doing? welding? tongue i had no idea sketchers made work boots. i had a pair of their oxfords a few years ago. they had that clear, rubbery type of sole (like the doc martens). i loved those shoes, and beat the hell out of them, until they finally walked away from me. smile

if you like steel toes, have you tried any with the composite toes? you're up there in cold country, and a lot of dudes (and dudettes) have switched to those types of boots. that way their tootsies neither freeze (nor fry) depending on the weather.

these boots will outlast me. i figure i'll get at least two or three re-soles out of them before they give up the ghost.

Nov 13 14 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

GK photo wrote:

steel toes? what the hell you doing? welding? tongue i had no idea sketchers made work boots. i had a pair of their oxfords a few years ago. they had that clear, rubbery type of sole (like the doc martens). i loved those shoes, and beat the hell out of them, until they finally walked away from me. smile

if you like steel toes, have you tried any with the composite toes? you're up there in cold country, and a lot of dudes (and dudettes) have switched to those types of boots. that way their tootsies neither freeze (nor fry) depending on the weather.

these boots will outlast me. i figure i'll get at least two or three re-soles out of them before they give up the ghost.

Architectural photographer. Which means I get thrown into constructions sites full of big, strong manly men every few months. hehehehe! big_smile

Seriously, I didn't know sketchers made workboots either, especially not steel toed ones. I wanted a pair of Caterpillars, but they only had the men's wear - and none of the women's steel toed (i'm a 7, not a 10 up) However, when I found out sketchers made some, I grabbed them right up. They're actually glorified steel toed, water proofed slip resistant sneakers. Their regular shoes are the only thing that keep my feet from hurting while I'm running around all day.

Nov 13 14 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Architectural photographer. Which means I get thrown into constructions sites full of big, strong manly men every few months. hehehehe! big_smile

Seriously, I didn't know sketchers made workboots either, especially not steel toed ones. I wanted a pair of Caterpillars, but they only had the men's wear - and none of the women's steel toed (i'm a 7, not a 10 up) However, when I found out sketchers made some, I grabbed them right up. They're actually glorified steel toed, water proofed slip resistant sneakers. Their regular shoes are the only thing that keep my feet from hurting while I'm running around all day.

noice. smile you should be wearing boots, though. tongue

Nov 13 14 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

GK photo wrote:
noice. smile you should be wearing boots, though. tongue

I have a pair of CAT Women's boots (goes up past my ankles) that I can wear if i need it. I wanted something steel toed, though, so I just went with it. They're comfy, sturdy and they're steel toed.  If the builder throws a hissy fit, they can comp me for some new boots big_smile

I got these: http://www.skechers.com/style/76760/wor … An4R8P8HAQ

in womens

Nov 13 14 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

r T p

Los Angeles, California, US

nothing like quality footwear to make your day go by better. smile

https://www.gearfuse.com/wp-content/uploads/andrew/5_apr07/bottleshoe_1.jpg

Nov 13 14 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

I have a pair of CAT Women's boots (goes up past my ankles) that I can wear if i need it. I wanted something steel toed, though, so I just went with it. They're comfy, sturdy and they're steel toed.  If the builder throws a hissy fit, they can comp me for some new boots big_smile

I got these: http://www.skechers.com/style/76760/wor … An4R8P8HAQ

in womens

i'll bet if you'd ask, they'd probably oblige. or they'd at least give you a yearly allowance to get something on your own. if you like those shoes, then that's all that matters. comfort is the main thing, especially with shoes/boots that you have to wear all day.

Nov 13 14 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

MerrillMedia

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I agree, they are great boots. A bit more expensive than some, but work it. They will also last a long time if taken care of.

While you're shopping, pick up an Estwing hammer. Same deal - costs more but a great hammer.

Nov 14 14 12:59 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Together with a London Fog overcoat and a bucket hat, it's a perfect ensemble.

No doubt about it.

Nov 14 14 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

technical difficulties
[trying to figure out why direct linking to my image is denied]

Nov 14 14 09:42 am Link

Photographer

r T p

Los Angeles, California, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
Together with a London Fog overcoat and a bucket hat, it's a perfect ensemble.

No doubt about it.

no
doubt ..

https://sthelenscelebritynews.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/190907656873598a766cb0e7026fe6c2230ffe7.jpg

Nov 14 14 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Sponsored the #43 way back when.

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/CHUAAOxywh1TBBvZ/$_35.JPG

Nov 14 14 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

if anyone is in the market for a pair of their boots, they are having a 20 per cent off sale on friday. they actually honored it today, as well. pretty cool that they did that. i hate going out on the friday after thanksgiving. it's a freaking zoo.

Nov 26 14 04:32 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Kevin Fair wrote:
I always bought the kind with oil resistant soles. These were the last pair I bought, back when I was working. Their actually shoes instead of boots. Their grass cutting shoes now.

https://www.kevinfair.com/photos/i-kgLjK33/0/L/i-kgLjK33-L.jpg

These are the ones from 99. The shoes are the same style as these.

https://www.kevinfair.com/photos/i-SVwxRjs/0/L/i-SVwxRjs-L.jpg

I have them with lug soles.  And have worn several pairs out.  However, I have moved onto something doesn't have to be oiled everyday when I come inside.

Nov 26 14 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I have a pair of black Rec Wing Ranger boots. Had to special order them in black. Love 'em.

Nov 28 14 02:38 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Having said that I'm not the kind of boots what do you think about the ALTAI MF Tactical Boot?
In a brief research I've done some times ago, specifically on tactical boot instead of generic type of boot, was the only one without the need of a breaking period and the feautures seem interesting.

Nov 28 14 03:07 am Link