Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Why colors are different by social newtwork

Photographer

walterfantauzzi

Rome, Lazio, Italy

Hi Guys,

Well I've share this pic on google+, facebook, tumblr, twitter etc...

why the colors are different in different social?

dominant yellow in google+

https://plus.google.com/u/0/11434815857 … 1901460364

https://www.facebook.com/walterfantauzz … =1&theater

yikes w.

Nov 15 14 04:05 am Link

Retoucher

Krunoslav Stifter

Santa Cruz, California, US

Edit: ups, I just realized you were maybe asking a web design question, lol. Were you?

I assume it's a standard question, "why my colors look different online" But I will leave the answer it might help someone else. big_smile

Depends on what web browsers you are using with what settings as well as what color profile you have embedded and preserved in your images?

I see no difference between your images but that is specific to me. I imagine most people will not have the same settings as me.

But here is what you need to do.

1. Save all your images with the embedded sRGB color profile.
2. Use modern browser like Firefox or Chrome.
3. If the color profile is not stripped, you should be able to see correct colors.
4. Some website when you upload the images, tend to compress you image and some also strip your profile.
5. Once the profile has been striped or if you have not embedded it yourself, even the modern browsers won't be able to show the color properly. This is because I believe Chrome, Safari and Firefox by default only read tagged images. But don't color manage non tagged images.
6. Only browser that supports color management even for untagged images is Firefox but it's a hidden feature that you have to manually activate. I have it activated and that is the reason I see no difference between your images.
7. If you want to learn more I have a detailed tutorial on it. Real World Retouching: Practical Guide to Preparing and Sending Images to The Client https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpQL8iK … 4Uv8Oc4sr4

Cheers!

Nov 15 14 05:10 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

walterfantauzzi wrote:
Hi Guys,

Well I've share this pic on google+, facebook, tumblr, twitter etc...

why the colors are different in different social?

dominant yellow in google+

https://plus.google.com/u/0/11434815857 … 1901460364

https://www.facebook.com/walterfantauzz … =1&theater

yikes w.

Color & Design Theory 101.

Ones choice of background color matters. Take for instance an egg & place it against a dark background. The egg will appear brighter. Take that same egg & place it against a light colored backgrounds, the egg's white shell will appear muted to the human eye.

Nov 15 14 05:20 am Link

Photographer

walterfantauzzi

Rome, Lazio, Italy

Farenell Photography wrote:

Ones choice of background color matters. Take for instance an egg & place it against a dark background. The egg will appear brighter. Take that same egg & place it against a light colored backgrounds, the egg's white shell will appear muted to the human eye.

(Y)

Nov 15 14 06:19 am Link

Photographer

walterfantauzzi

Rome, Lazio, Italy

Krunoslav Stifter wrote:
Edit: ups, I just realized you were maybe asking a web design question, lol. Were you?

I assume it's a standard question, "why my colors look different online" But I will leave the answer it might help someone else. big_smile

Depends on what web browsers you are using with what settings as well as what color profile you have embedded and preserved in your images?

I see no difference between your images but that is specific to me. I imagine most people will not have the same settings as me.

1. Save all your images with the embedded sRGB color profile.
2. Use modern browser like Firefox or Chrome.
3. If the color profile is not stripped, you should be able to see correct colors.
4. Some website when you upload the images, tend to compress you image and some also strip your profile.
5. Once the profile has been striped or if you have not embedded it yourself, even the modern browsers won't be able to show the color properly. This is because I believe Chrome, Safari and Firefox by default only read tagged images. But don't color manage non tagged images.
6. Only browser that supports color management even for untagged images is Firefox but it's a hidden feature that you have to manually activate. I have it activated and that is the reason I see no difference between your images.
7. If you want to learn more I have a detailed tutorial on it. Real World Retouching: Practical Guide to Preparing and Sending Images to The Client https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpQL8iK … 4Uv8Oc4sr4

Cheers!

great!!!! I'll see the video

Nov 15 14 06:19 am Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

My film friends and I have noticed differences. Facebook especially has tinkered with images in some very noticeable ways. I believe their motivation is mostly to minimize the sizes of images they have to serve to users, but I think they have experimented with color and contrast changes too. I think they might think they are doing smart things, but I think they might be misleading themselves.

It's hard to know what you will get from Facebook from one week to the next because they are constantly fiddling with it. It's one of the reasons you really can't take Facebook seriously.

Nov 17 14 05:02 pm Link

Retoucher

Steven Burnette Retouch

Mount Vernon, New York, US

The simple answer is that each social network has their own individual post processing systems that automatically does its thing to your images during upload. So all you can do is prepare your files as best you can for each social network to minimize unwanted changes after upload, but the same image will never look uniform across all the social networks (You will only get grey hairs).

Nov 17 14 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

walterfantauzzi

Rome, Lazio, Italy

great info guys

Nov 20 14 11:01 am Link

Retoucher

Barry Green Retouching

High Wycombe, England, United Kingdom

Krunoslav Stifter wrote:

Cheers!

@Stifter
Great Video - really comprehensive.

re Firefox hidden feature. Looking iunder Tools > Options, I canot find it. Could you say where it is hidden?

Dec 02 14 07:26 am Link

Retoucher

Removed_Account_532016

Sitrah, Sitrah, Bahrain

Dec 02 14 08:15 am Link

Retoucher

Barry Green Retouching

Pat Bateman wrote:
check out this link: http://ntown.at/de/2013/12/28/firefox-color-management/

worked for me

Interesting. This link only works for me on Android devices. Win IE, Firefox and Google browsers all give the same error (below). Nonetheless, I got all the info and also to ICC test page.  Thanks

"Blog

How To Enable Color Management in Firefox
Category : Education/Help · No Comments · by Patrick Zadrobilek 2013/12/28

Fatal error: Call to undefined function lacands_wp_filter_content_widget() in /home/nt000006/www/home/blog/wp-content/plugins/q2w3-inc-manager/q2w3-inc-manager.php(1137) : eval()'d code on line 1"

Dec 03 14 03:55 am Link

Retoucher

ST Retouch

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Kruno gave great advice.

Always save files with embedded sRGB profile for web.

But even if you save files with sRGB standard color profiles, again it is possible to see different colors and different contrasts or washed look  on different web sites.

Why ?

Because web sites work and show images based on 2 different image  libraries.
1.GD library which is the old library who can't recognize color profiles and contrasts.
2. Imagemagick library which is modern library who recognize color profiles and contrasts.

Many web sites still use GD library.

Imagemagick library can be set on many different ways , to show sharper images, images with more/less contrasts, with more/less saturation , with more/less brightness.

And many web sites have their own settings for Imagemagick library, and also many web sites ( even famous web sites ) don't know how to set Imagemagick library for best image preview smile

So you as a photographer can not do so much about web sites and their settings of Imagemagick or GD library and their knowledge about libraries which show images on pages.

Always try to save images for web in sRGB color profile and that's all what you can do.
The rest is up to web sites and their knowledge of settings Imagemagick library.
If web sites have good settings for Imagemagick library your files will be perfect on their pages ( like you can see them in PS).
If web sites don't have good settings for Imagemagick library- then you will see "washed look" of your files or similar color problems.

Hope this helped,
Best
ST

Dec 03 14 06:50 am Link

Photographer

MC Seoul Photography

Seoul, Seoul, Korea (South)

Farenell Photography wrote:

That's not the issue here at all. You can actually view the images without the website and see they are clearly different.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TmfS … difica.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ … 0987_o.jpg

They've clearly been tinted. There is a SNS app here in Korea that does the same thing, one of those location based micro blogging places. They tint everything inexplicably green. Really kills black and white photos.

Dec 11 14 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

care more about the reliability of the color of the prints....monitor/printer calibration or the off source printing...learn your system, your reliable online print resources and your eyes...the older you get, the more color changes when you view it...Mo

Dec 11 14 09:58 pm Link

Retoucher

a k mac

London, England, United Kingdom

Apparently it's true that the colour receptors on the retina can deteriorate with age, but generally the brain makes compensations for this and so with most older people there is no significant issue.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21186335/Colour%20Vision.jpg

Dec 12 14 12:09 am Link

Retoucher

Barry Green Retouching

ST Retouch wrote:
Kruno gave great advice.

Always try to save images for web in sRGB color profile and that's all what you can do.
The rest is up to web sites and their knowledge of settings Imagemagick library.
If web sites have good settings for Imagemagick library your files will be perfect on their pages ( like you can see them in PS).
If web sites don't have good settings for Imagemagick library- then you will see "washed look" of your files or similar color problems.

Hope this helped,
Best
ST

As an aside:  If the image is to be printed, is there any difference between producing the JPG file using Save Image for Web, and Save As (JPEG)?

Dec 12 14 03:04 am Link

Retoucher

ST Retouch

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Barry Green Photography wrote:
As an aside:  If the image is to be printed, is there any difference between producing the JPG file using Save Image for Web, and Save As (JPEG)?

Barry,

Save for web&devices command in PS is tool  to convert and optimize your image from Adobe Color Profile ( or any other color profile you work ) to sRGB color profile for web.
Web is 72 pixels/inch.

For best results with prints you need 240 or 300 per inch.

Usually catalogs or magazines with a lot of copies are done with Offset and CMYK color profile.

Serious Fine art prints with very expensive photo papers are done with Adobe Color profile and also you can have and decent good results with sRGB color profile.

But for best results with fine art prints it is the best to save your files in Tiff format and to print them in serious print stores from Tiff.
I sell prints , very good friend of mine has serious print store so I made test between Adobe JPG and Tiff format and I can see difference in quality.
Maybe ordinary customers which order prints can not see that difference  but you as a photographer can see difference in quality.

I am not expert with printing but friend of mine told me to always keep and save files in Tiff for serious fine art prints, and he has right , he knows better because he has professional print store.

So from my experience for serious fine art prints always keep your files in Tiff .
If is necessary you can always convert very easy files from Tiff to JPG.

I have tested last week with him new Noritsu 37 HD which he bought with amazing 640 dpi from Tiff and results were more then stunning , I could not believe the quality of prints - prints are better then you can see them on Mac screen smile
http://www.noritsu.com/37HD.html

Hope this helped
Best
ST

Dec 12 14 04:23 am Link