Forums > Critique > Check out my photos and let me know what you think

Model

Lina Love

Miami, Florida, US

Nov 19 14 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

nolongerhere

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Too many poorly shot and cropped partial body shots. I would like to see more of your face and greater variety of wardrobe and sett. You deserve better.

Nov 19 14 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141119/15/546d2981e8320_m.jpg
Of your photos, this is one of the two that are some what ok
Due to pose model has no neck, models right arm is too straight, odd bend at right wrist
Have you ever noticed in many model photographs the model is not fully seated on the chair, here is why look at models right upper leg where it is in contact with the bench, see how the shape is flattened, instead of the lovely natural curve
Because of your eyes being off to one side you have an unnatural area of white, usually best to look where nose is pointed for a natural look?
Extend right foot in front of knee for longest looking leg possible [Do not tuck leg in]

Nov 20 14 05:19 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

You have limited appeal, outside of the glamour / nude genres.

There is little you can do about that, at your height, and body type.

Nov 20 14 06:49 am Link

Model

Lina Love

Miami, Florida, US

I was more looking for critiques on my poses not whether if my height and body type is appealing but thanks for the comment anyway smile

Nov 20 14 03:39 pm Link

Model

Lina Love

Miami, Florida, US

Thanks for the pointers smile next time I will extend my leg more and look straight at the camera.

Nov 20 14 03:43 pm Link

Model

Lina Love

Miami, Florida, US

Thanks! I'm working on getting more head shots! smile

Nov 20 14 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Bolton Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

It's often difficult to critique a models portfolio because the photographer (should be) directing and adjusting the poses and emotions that he/she wants... If your photographer is uneducated with photography and posing, a model doesn't stand a chance...

Let me ask you a question. What and where have you learned about modelling?

Nov 20 14 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Lina Love wrote:
Thanks for the pointers smile next time I will extend my leg more and look straight at the camera.

You do not have to always look at the camera, rather then look at camera, look in the direction your nose is pointed; the idea is you want to have a balanced amount of white area on both sides of your pupil

I would shoot with you in a heart beat

Happy Thanksgiving

Nov 21 14 05:59 am Link

Photographer

Angie Wolfe Photography

Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada

Let's not critique the model for poor posing, pretty sure that's the photographer's job.  My suggestion would be to get more headshots right away that show your face, eyes, smile etc. Post them ASAP and drop the iphone photos.  Make sure your profile encompasses all your features not just your bumps smile

Nov 21 14 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

rich cirminello

Dallas, Texas, US

Angie Wolfe Photography wrote:
Let's not critique the model for poor posing, pretty sure that's the photographer's job.

but

Lina Love wrote:
I was more looking for critiques on my poses not whether if my height and body type is appealing but thanks for the comment anyway smile

First overall on the port get rid of anything that doesn't look professional.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141120/15/546e78c9cefb1_m.jpg
"A regular selfie since I don't have a head shot yet."
It's grainy, not a flattering angle, and pixelated. Ditch it and go get a 'regular head shot'

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141120/16/546e87a58b849_m.jpg
"Out for your bday" shots are fine for Facebook but not doing your portfolio any favors. If I were looking to work with a model and I came across this photo I'm leaving your port and going to the next model.
The flash makes you look blue the reflection in your eyes makes you look stoned, the angle makes you look short and stubby .... I could go on. It's a crappy phone photo of you while out for your birthday, not a pic of you modeling so it doesn't belong here.
Get rid of it.

I think the best shot in your port by far is:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141119/09/546cd59fe6f34_m.jpg
Here's why I like it:
Because this looks like you've been captured in an actual sensual moment. The angle is flattering. The slightly open mouth and light touching of the breasts suggest sensuality, the crossed legs also add to this.
What I don't like about it:
The focus is in a weird spot and your face looks 'dirty.' I believe both of these issues are due to the photographer's retouching and not your fault.

Your worst shot (other than the phone pics)
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141119/16/546d3577477a7_m.jpg
Here's why I don't like it:
Part of this is not your fault, but I'll try to focus on what you could have improved.
The pose looks like a failed attempt at being 'sexy.' For something like this, uncross your ankles and give us a real 'doggie' position if that's what you're going for. It would suggest sexual availability (why else would you be in this position?). The arms being extended look uncomfortable and block some of the light on your face. I would have had you bring your right arm back a bit and tilt your head up more as if you were tossing your hair. I might have you look forward (not at the camera). Turning your hips toward the camera (butt toward), or away from the camera (butt away) might also add some interest. A hard profile like this is difficult to make look good even for experienced models.
What definitely wasn't your fault is the lighting which doesn't help with the sensuality aspect. It's not a critique of the photographer so I wont' comment any more about that except to say:

Do yourself a favor and find photographers whose work you really like and understand why you like it. Then go shoot with those photographers. Be patient – it may take you a while to find the right shooters.
The "Pin Me Up Photography" shots are the best in your port, but I would recommend you find someone who shoots you from more flattering angles and doesn't feel the need to do so much photoshop. It's hard to tell what you really look like.

If you're looking to build a glamor port spend a LOT of time looking at glamor photos and practicing with a mirror. Contrary to popular opinion, modeling is actually hard work.

Good luck.

Nov 22 14 03:01 am Link