Forums > Newbie Forum > New Photographer in London, UK

Photographer

JGArt

London, England, United Kingdom

Hey guys, James here.

I'm particularly new to portrait photography. I've spent some time shooting wildlife, and have a strong history in illustration and digital art, but I'm looking to progress and move into portraiture.

My set-up isn't on the professional side - a simple 700D with kit lens + 55-250 and a cheap flashgun. With what I have I'm looking to expand my portfolio.
I'm aware I won't get calls from the best, top models, and am willing to work hard with fellow amateurs/newbies to help everyone involved. My RL friends aren't willing to pose for photos, so my port is somewhat bare currently.

So I pose three questions to you guys.

1. Models (in particular, more experienced ones), how likely are you to work with a photographer with a lower skill/experience level?

2. Photographers, how did you get off the ground? (in particular, those who struggled to find models to work with initially)

3. With low finances, what are the best tips you could give to a newbie in the industry?

Nice to meet you all.
Thanks!

Nov 19 14 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

robert b mitchell

Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

Welcome to the site. big_smile

Nov 19 14 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

Welcome to MM.smile

Nov 19 14 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Filles de Pin-up

Wichita, Kansas, US

JGArt wrote:
Hey guys, James here.

I'm particularly new to portrait photography. I've spent some time shooting wildlife, and have a strong history in illustration and digital art, but I'm looking to progress and move into portraiture.

My set-up isn't on the professional side - a simple 700D with kit lens + 55-250 and a cheap flashgun. With what I have I'm looking to expand my portfolio.
I'm aware I won't get calls from the best, top models, and am willing to work hard with fellow amateurs/newbies to help everyone involved. My RL friends aren't willing to pose for photos, so my port is somewhat bare currently.

1. Models (in particular, more experienced ones), how likely are you to work with a photographer with a lower skill/experience level?

Without paying their rates, more experienced models are not going to work with you. Sad but true.

JGArt wrote:
2. Photographers, how did you get off the ground? (in particular, those who struggled to find models to work with initially)

Patience. You have to trade up with each shoot one step at a time. You have to offer them something that they cannot get themselves.

How to Master Photo Shoots with Models

JGArt wrote:
3. With low finances, what are the best tips you could give to a newbie in the industry?

Provide models with some fantasy retouching. Angels, Mermaids and Disney princesses are popular.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/080315/16/47dc328693191.jpg

JGArt wrote:
Nice to meet you all.
Thanks!

Nov 21 14 04:59 am Link

Photographer

J Haggerty

Augusta, Georgia, US

JGArt wrote:
Hey guys, James here.

Nice to meet you all.
Thanks!

Welcome to MM!

1. As is stated. The more experienced models will more than likely not work trade with you but they are open to paid assignments. Get together with other new and inexperienced models and help each other grow.

2. I practiced a lot with friends but I mostly practiced on myself and did a lot of self portraiture. I worked on my photoshop technique in these self portraits and really focused on my lighting and composition. The more I practiced the better I got until eventually models started responding to my casting calls for trade work.

3. Focus on your skill first and perfecting it with the equipment you have. Unless you are shooting commercial work right off the bat or need to print large images the camera you have will serve to help you develop your skill. A lot of great sets start with just one light and one light is all you really need to get a great portrait (a lot of my images only use one light). Grab a cheapo softbox off of Amazon, the smallest size for headshots, the medium for torso and get a large one if you want to shoot full bodied. Amazon sells a $20 5-in-1 reflector that's a handy tool to have in a beginner-pro kit, use it to bounce your one light and add a silver or gold glow to your images, use the black side to block light or create shadows.
Again, I'm going to emphasize that you not worry about equipment this early in the game. Get a handle on your lighting, composition and theme/concept before you start adding more equipment.

Good luck!

Nov 21 14 11:55 am Link

Photographer

OBA Foto

Los Angeles, California, US

Welcome JGArt,

As a newbie myself, I worked with experienced models as they tend to need little or no direction. 

I also offered recurring shoots in order to get a better rate more importantly develop a rapport. 

Good luck.

Nov 21 14 09:05 pm Link