Forums > Photography Talk > Where can I find this backdrop?

Photographer

ISH_

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

All I can find are those fold out ones that have no floor.
https://cdnlevel3.high-everydaycouture.com/media/resized/774/985/1339_Look_2.jpg

Dec 09 14 08:34 am Link

Photographer

The Next Cliche

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

I don't think it is a backdrop - probably a real building.

Dec 09 14 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Looks like the back of roll linoleum. Try your local home improvement store, and look at the back of the linoleum choices they carry.

Dec 09 14 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Funny -- it looks like a bunch of carpet remnants to me.  Try a carpet warehouse.

Dec 09 14 08:59 am Link

Photographer

HalfMoonColorado

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina, US

I agree it looks like sheet vinyl. It typically comes 12' wide but some in 6' and is cut to any length you want (unless it is pre-cut rolls). Some places price it per square yard, some square foot, and other by the lineal foot. 9 SF to 1 SY in case you forgot so a piece 12'x20' would be 26.67 SY

Dec 09 14 10:32 am Link

Photographer

HalfMoonColorado

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina, US

Some photographers buy and and paint it flat white for use as a basic backdrop.

The more expensive varieties can be very heavy and all of it has to be rolled, not folded, since it will kink and crease.

Dec 09 14 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

The Next Cliche wrote:
I don't think it is a backdrop - probably a real building.

You could be right. They obviously had to extend the width to fit their format by cloning on the right side.

There are many ways to create similar backgrounds. I can think of many ways to create interesting backgrounds without glomming onto someone else's look.

Dec 09 14 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Michael Alestra

MOUNT ROYAL, New Jersey, US

cloning was done on both sides, i doubt its a real building.

Dec 09 14 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Michael Alestra wrote:
cloning was done on both sides, i doubt its a real building.

Why?  You can't clone things from a real building?  I do it all the time to clean up marks or pipes or add to an area to fill it in.

Dec 09 14 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

I agree, that it is probably not a real building. The bottom curves up to the vertical, just like a studio backdrop does. I would go with linoleum. Bad cloning job, by the way, (you shouldn't be able to tell it was done).
-Don

Dec 09 14 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Don Garrett wrote:
I agree, that it is probably not a real building. The bottom curves up to the vertical, just like a studio backdrop does. I would go with linoleum. Bad cloning job, by the way, (you shouldn't be able to tell it was done).
-Don

Actually I think that it is more likely a real stone surface than a background. If the original shot was made using a cloth backdrop or other material they would have probably fabricated the set to be WIDER at the outset considering the referenced shot was pulled from an lookbook shoot of literally dozens of shots. I would have thought if they had the control of the set they would have fitted it to layout instead of baking in the requirement for retouching for numerous shots.

http://www.high-everydaycouture.com/us_ … er-14.html

The surface appears to be terrazzo (composite stone) that is often fabricated in place. While I have not seen curved terrazzo, I understand it can be done. My read is that is at least equally possible (if not moreso) that it is a real building with a wall feature of terrazzo that is three panels wide.

Dec 09 14 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Do this...

Get a white backdrop...take many pairs of dirty shoes, and start walking over the white background...how wonderful it is!

Dec 09 14 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

Zael Photography

New York, New York, US

Makes me think of the Grace Building in NYC.

Dec 09 14 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

It looks like it could be concrete ground smooth. Not polished, just ground so the contour is smooth. But maybe it is polished.

Dec 09 14 04:14 pm Link

Dec 09 14 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

Dan Howell wrote:

Actually I think that it is more likely a real stone surface than a background. If the original shot was made using a cloth backdrop or other material they would have probably fabricated the set to be WIDER at the outset considering the referenced shot was pulled from an lookbook shoot of literally dozens of shots. I would have thought if they had the control of the set they would have fitted it to layout instead of baking in the requirement for retouching for numerous shots.

http://www.high-everydaycouture.com/us_ … er-14.html

The surface appears to be terrazzo (composite stone) that is often fabricated in place. While I have not seen curved terrazzo, I understand it can be done. My read is that is at least equally possible (if not moreso) that it is a real building with a wall feature of terrazzo that is three panels wide.

You could be right, but I won't lose any sleep over it !
-Don

Dec 09 14 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Anna Stevens

Monterey, California, US

My first thought was that it was an empty pool. That could be one way to recreate the concrete curved background.

Dec 10 14 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

MMR Creative Services

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

Where is the image from?

Dec 10 14 03:42 pm Link